Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 20:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
While going thru tyres thread I noticed that you have changed tyres on your logan to Michelin XM1 185/70 R14,

I believe logan stock types aren't tubeless.

1. What is the size of logan stock tyres?
185 / 70 R14

Quote:
2. Can you install tubeless tyres on stock wheel? If yes, can you upsize your tyres with stock wheel or you have to go for new wheels/alloys?
Yes. A family friend recently installed radials on his old M800. Definitely possible.
Old 28th September 2008, 22:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that the company sold off LOGANS to the taxi companies for a very less price, almost a wholesale price kind of thing. Would that affect the resale value of the LOGAN once you have those cheaper ones coming into the market?
Old 29th September 2008, 13:22   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Is it true that the company sold off LOGANS to the taxi companies for a very less price, almost a wholesale price kind of thing. Would that affect the resale value of the LOGAN once you have those cheaper ones coming into the market?
Yup, Mahindra seem to have sold a good number of logans to the taxi market. And why not? It has got the room, robustness & boot space to make a great cab.

This won't affect resale value as high-mileage taxis are seldom bought by private parties in the used market. On the other hand, well-maintained private cars could be lapped up by the commercial segment. Just look at the excellent resale of low / mid mileage Indicas!
Old 29th September 2008, 14:08   #64
BHPian

@Autocop
Here's the reply to your questions:

While going thru tyres thread I noticed that you have changed tyres on your logan to Michelin XM1 185/70 R14,
I believe logan stock types aren't tubeless.

The stock tyres i got with the car were tubeless JK Vectra's with unimpressive grip

1. What is the size of logan stock tyres?

180/70 R14 Tubeless

2. Can you install tubeless tyres on stock wheel? If yes, can you upsize your tyres with stock wheel or you have to go for new wheels/alloys?

Yes you can on the stock. You can upsize tyres with stock wheels to a limit though. Going in for new rims/alloys may void your warranty, so think twice before you go in for new. Also, IMHO the change from JK's to Michelin's Energy XM1+ has transformed my ride from the ground to the sky. The XM1+ gives fantastic grip & much smoother ride, i'm very happy with it. For tyre queries see the following site to clear your doubts Tire Calculator

3. Clarification on above questions and some more details on your overall tyre upgrade experience would be very much useful.

See the above.

I hope this clears most of your doubts.
Old 1st October 2008, 18:24   #65
BHPian

How much M-factor you had to put in for getting new shoes?

What about stock tyres? Any trade-ins there?
Old 6th October 2008, 13:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
How much M-factor you had to put in for getting new shoes?

What about stock tyres? Any trade-ins there?
I don't really remember the exact MRP figures but i do remember I traded stocks total for lumpsome 13,850/- (4 JK Vectra's used upto nearly 2800kms + unused stepny)... so go figure!
As i had mentioned i went for same configuration 185/70 R14.
Old 1st November 2008, 11:57   #67
BHPian

Finally went for the Ultimate highway test, a drive to Shirdi from Bombay with 5 large adults & a kid through hills, ghats, dodgy roads, etc. The total drive was 544kms, one way 272kms covered in exact 6 hours with 3 stops totalling a bit over 1 1/2 hours so overall driving time was around 4 1/2 hours. I calculated the FE, its 17kmpl with 100% ac. Some people may think it is less but the fact of the matter is that the car feels underpowered on the highway run with a full load & it needed some hard acceleration to maintain the speed plus it was very hot so the blower was on 4 all the time. So for high spirited high revving guys who want to go for the Logan think about it, take a proper test drive. Or put in the extra 1.5-2 lacs & go for the Verna. My cousin who was in the other car (Yes! a Verna CRDi SX) had 2 people only in the car & they left 1 hour later than me from Shirdi but still managed to catch up with me at Kasara. He touched speeds upto 170 effortlessly which was grudgingly, scarily confirmed by his better half thanks to his confidence in the changed PP2's. I was driving sedately & managed 110kms maximum & above that it was very hard to push the car. See the Logan is basically for sedate drivers, the thing this car gives you confidence as you build up speed with rock solid stability, excellent suspension as all rear seat drivers vouched for but there is very slight roll at high speed. The car is built like a tank though & has oodles of in-cabin & boot space. All in all, just advise people that overall its not a driver's car, you can get tired pushing this car to 50-60% of how you want a car to behave the way you want.

Done 5200kms now & second service is due next week. niggling issues came up around 4000kms, sound coming from the RHS both doors very irritating plus some rattling sound from the dash. More updates after the first service.

But in hindsight & all honesty, since i keep a car for 5 years max, i would still pay the extra 1.5 - 2 lacs or more and get a good drivers' car (i.e. Verna).
Old 30th November 2008, 20:52   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
See the Logan is basically for sedate drivers, the thing this car gives you confidence as you build up speed with rock solid stability, excellent suspension as all rear seat drivers vouched for but there is very slight roll at high speed. The car is built like a tank though & has oodles of in-cabin & boot space. All in all, just advise people that overall its not a driver's car,
Fully agree with you anil.

I love cruising and not racing, and so after a TD of both Ikon and Logan, it wasn't difficult for me to choose Logan.

And after experiencing her for little over a month and about 2.5k km, including a recent 550km long drive at a stretch, I must say that I am absolutely happy and satisfied with her. This car gives you a real rock solid and planted-on-the-road feel along with a fantastic ride comfort.
Old 2nd December 2008, 18:50   #69

Hi Anil and Team-BHP Gang

Thanks for the splendid reviews, I am now considering the logan again - over fiesta/sx4 - because of these reviews. ANHC -well they want 100% advance for delivery after 6 weeks, so they can s**** it.... :-)

Have a couple of questions: (probably Anil can anwer them)

- Any reasons for selecting the diesel over the petrol version (except for number of km I run)

- One reason I rejected the logan earlier was because of the bad looking interiors. Has that improved with the "New Collection" Logan

- What are all the improvements you (Anil) made over the default model shipped by the factory - tyres, seat covers (where did you get those from??), remote boot release, pda holder, better I-C-E... what else?

Warm Regards- Peter
Old 4th December 2008, 01:07   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertheo View Post
Hi Anil and Team-BHP Gang

- One reason I rejected the logan earlier was because of the bad looking interiors. Has that improved with the "New Collection" Logan

Warm Regards- Peter
Hi Peter,
The New Collection Logan has a different color scheme than the old version. Note that it is only the color which has changed and not any design.

Here are the changes:

1. First of all it is not the beige it used to be, it has got a slightly greenish tinge added to the beige now.

2. The hood over the IP is black now.

3. The steering is also black, with a chrome finish Renault logo at the centre.

4. The on-board driving assist system is now standard in GLX trim also.

5. Boot release is remote and is much smarter now, in the form of a spring loaded switch (something like a calling bell switch) near the handbrake.

6. The AC vents have a silver lining, literally.

7. Seat fabric and door trim fabric is also new.

Will try to locate some snaps of my interiors and post it here.

I would suggest you to visit the showroom once again and then decide.

Last edited by 9tMax : 4th December 2008 at 01:08.
Old 27th May 2009, 09:55   #71
BHPian

Decision Time...

Ok guys, its been a bit over a year and 12k's on the ODO, now the urge has started to get Pete's on my car. So do you think its worth putting 30-35k's (including the filter). See the thing is this, lets be honest. After the dismal sales figues and the way Mahindra-Renault is going, i won't get a good resale value in case i decide to sell the car soon or 3-4 yrs down the line. So i thought why not go all the way, improve the pick up, might as well use it all they way till i possibly can. There is nothing wrong with the car though, trust me, its solid, good fuel efficiency (never dropped below 15 in city), good range with 50L fuel tank, decent torque, lacks power on the highway though.

So hope you all can give me your valuable suggestions whether PETE'ing is a good option?
Old 26th August 2009, 16:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anil, very nicely written review of the Logan here.
when I went to shop for my car, Logan was the first choice due to it's solid built, ample interior space and large boot size. Experienced the ride of logan in many a airport rides before I bought my car. But, they had just introduced the new collection logan and pumped the price up by around 50K, that went out of my budget.
Finally settled for Ikon. But congratulations to you , have a gala time with your logan.
Old 19th October 2009, 22:49   #73
BHPian

Updating this thread after very long. Done 16,300kms till today. Just came back from Baroda from a 950km trip. My respect for this car has grown tremendously wven though I feel its a tad underpowered, but working through the gears is what I have to do to get it going. Started from Baroda at 10am today, reach home in Bandra at 4.30pm with an hour's stop for lunch. So I did 440kms in 5 1/2 hours averaging 80km/h. Because of Gujarat's excellent roads, I was crusing comfortably at 110-120km/h with everyone feeling really comfortable at those speeds. This is when you realise what an European make gives you. Excellent high speed steering stability and comfortable ride, good control while cornering, good g.c. and the fabulous suspension. But because the a/c was on full blast and me doing hard driving all the way due to just 65 horses, I managed only 19kmpl. But I am satisfied by it overall. Though I still don't like the looks and now the resale problem, I could just keep it forever and keep it as a family car with a driver as I can feel it would age really well. Its a solid car that's built to last.
Old 20th October 2009, 00:14   #74
Senior - BHPian

Great review ! Thanks.
You havent said anything about repairs or warranty work so I assume all is well.

Quote:
Ok guys, its been a bit over a year and 12k's on the ODO, now the urge has started to get Pete's on my car. So do you think its worth putting 30-35k's (including the filter)?
If you really like the car, then its worth. You can always remove it and sell it separately if you decide to sell the car and the buyer is not willing to pay extra.

Quote:
He touched speeds upto 170 effortlessly which was grudgingly, scarily confirmed by his better half.
I dont think its a good idea to hit 170 with 4 adults and kids. You are better off in the sedate Logan for family trips. The lack of power is a built in safety feature.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Great review ! Thanks.
You havent said anything about repairs or warranty work so I assume all is well.

If you really like the car, then its worth. You can always remove it and sell it separately if you decide to sell the car and the buyer is not willing to pay extra.

I dont think its a good idea to hit 170 with 4 adults and kids. You are better off in the sedate Logan for family trips. The lack of power is a built in safety feature.
Ya other than the regular services and minor rattles (irritating ones), have not had a single repair.

I was even thinking of DTE Chip Tuning as i read a lot about it. am thinknig i'll wait till next May when the warranty gets done with and then do the necessary changes.

I will never go over 110-120kmph with family on board, rest assured even if i have a faster car, i was talking of my cousin's Verna doing 170 and he was with his brother. Also i meant if i have a more powerful car, i would not have to strain myself and the car so much to extract and keep up the tempo.

Most Viewed