Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 12:37   #1
Team-BHP Support

All I Desired - Toyota Innova G4

Selecting the Vehicle

This is the second, actually third time i have landed myself with a vehicle i thought would not best fit my garage, upon seeing it the first time, or even after that. The scorpio, and even the ikon were the first two times.

Was a few months back that we started thinking of getting in a replacement for the Honda (my ohc). We were not looking for a replacement in totality, what we needed now was a diesel c segment sedan that my father would use to work on a daily thing. The budget was extremely flexible, 8 - 15 Lacs, and maybe a little more too if it would be a used Merc or a Beemer.

Over the months i exchanged quite a few messages through the phone and pms with the 'regulars'. Initially the mindset was to find a well kept C Class, or a slightly older E. At the same time, the 'Audi A4 Closeout' came along, and i was quite tempted. Slight budget restraints (almost 26 Lacs even after discount), and inadequate feedback and followup of the Audi personnel left me in bad taste. Did not wanna be chasing down a sales person when i was spending a 'HUGE' sum, atleast by my standards.
Simultaneously GTO insisted that the A4 was quite lacklustre, and a used 'C' would be a better bet if i could not wait for the new Accord. Waiting for the Accord was quite dicey, as i was told it would be a priced a few shades above my budget, and the Accord would be quite heavy on fuel bills too.

Options left were the Embera CRDI, Civic and the Laura.
Embera was quite nice, but the resale is quite scary and the dealers weren't offering any serious (1-2 lac) discounts either, which i always assumed it would carry.

Civic is an awesome car, quite perfect and a logical upgrade from the OHC, but logical for me, not for my dad who would be quite in discomfort while doing his dailyy ferrying on the rear seat. The rear seat was quite pathetic, and the low ground clearance would have the lower body scraping everytime the car would go to out Navi Mumbai works. Fuel bills would be expensive too.

Laura seeemed so darn perfect that i yet wonder why didn't we just get it. We had got a quote on the Laura, and a best deal at that.
The fuel economy, decent space, good resale and the beautiful car it is has hardly a thing wrong besides the expensive spares, and negligent service personnel.
Another option that came along simultaneousl was finding a used Accord V6, or the older generation Camry. Could not find one in spanking shape and gave up looking at the sky high used Camry prices at the dealers.

We had in the past given the Innova a thought, but were uncertain as there already was a Scorpio in the house, and we were looking for a large sedan. Two large vehicles in the house would not be the most covenient for my parents whenver the Ikon woudl go for a service. The Innova was the perfect vehicle for us, but would be replacement for the Scorpio whenever it would get tired.

Deciding, Booking & Delivery of the Innova G4

Direct Sales Agent: Addis Marketing
Bank: HDFC
Toyota Dealership: Millenium Toyota

Couple of more weeks, and we were stagnant, and quite confused even though the budget was quite respectable. Soon enough we decided to go in for the Innova, and we could probably buy the ‘large sedan’ sometime next year when we’d replace the Scorpio. The comfort levels of the Innova helped a lot through the decision making.

We had decided in the G4 trim, the vehicle would be mainly used by my father at the rear seat, and the twin aircon vents would be sorely missed in the lower trims.

The colour was quite a thing to decide on again, and at the time of submitting the booking form I filled in a silver, and later had it changed to Champagne.

Addis marketing who had quoted me for the Laura made me an awesome offer, and I made my down payment almost immediately. HDFC approved the load within two working days after submitting all the documents.

Addis had arranged for the delivery through Millenium Toyota, they were just as efficient & professional as HDFC, the whole delivery process was extremely smooth.
My brother dropped by Millenium Toyota a couple of days before the delivery, the delivery representative was extremely helpful I was told, and everything related to the vehicle was perfect.

Delivery was scheduled for the 5th of May. I reached the place a little before my brother would get there. Had carried along a printout of the Delivery Checklist posted by NC in the advice section. The checklist was a boon, really. I knew what exactly to lookout for, and in an organized manner than having to think about the various things I could have missed out upon.
The delivery staff at Millenium must have certainly thought of me as an extremely organized customer, the checklist is comprehensive and precise.
Clicked a few pictures while my brother reached the dealership. The help there explained to me some peculiar features, gave me a brief trial related to the electricals, folding the rear seats, etc
The staff is not the most sophisticated, but almost the most professional & polite I have dealt with.

The interiors are extremely plush and luxurious, something not so common in SUVs & MUVs in our side of the world, Toyota surely has a trendsetter in the Innova. Great effort has been put to detailing of the interiors, right from the glass holders to the steel clips for the third row of seats.

My Innova was shod with the Goodyear tubeless tires, somewhere on the forum I had read that the Innova even came with Bridgestones. To me, for the daily city drive at peak hours I guess it would make negligible difference. I may get some nice wheels if the vitamin M can holdup after the ICE and other basic accessories.
The odo had a mere 13 kms on it, i was quite happy about this.

My brother reached the dealership, we signed the delivery note and left the place without any drama. Stopped by the Gurudwara for a short Puja and the car has been standing at home since Monday evening I think. I have yet to drive it, been quite occupied lately. Thats the reacon I do not have much to write about the ride, drive, engine, etc just yet.

But from what I have noticed, the Innova is an unbeatable package, the comfort, luxury, space, reliability is something I am yet coming to terms with. The Innova is simply a few notches above that we had assumed it to be

manson.
Attached Thumbnails
All I Desired - Toyota Innova G4-dscn3503-small.jpg  

All I Desired - Toyota Innova G4-dscn3506-small.jpg  

Last edited by manson : 7th May 2008 at 12:50.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review there Manson.

I am deciding a car for myself nowadays. I am debating from Swift Diesel to as High as Civic. But it is the Toyota that my family wants me to buy.

Tell me one thing, how much overall discount did you manage on the G4 ?
Old 7th May 2008, 12:47   #3
BHPian

Congrads

Congrats on the new addition to your garage.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy Manson. The innova is a good choice as spares are not alarmingly expensive and the running costs are quite reasonable too. The "car" is very roomy and comfortable and had oodles of power as well. Very well planted at high speeds and handles well too compared to the Scorpio.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Innova is simply a class apart from the others. So perfect in everything.

I have traveled in it twice. Its simply fantastic. Only grouse is that the third row is cramped for 3 people. Its best to accomodate only 2 people in the third row, preferably short people.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

vkochar, Addis gave me a dealer discount of some 37,000 odd. This was applicable in March. The cash discount from the bank is pretty standard i think.
I had asked for a proforma in first week of April, so somehow the executive at Addis ushered in the March discount.

manson.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Manmeete

The Innova is the perfect family vehicle. Your dad will certainly enjoy the back seat comfort. Do you have captain seats? They are damn comfy. Hope to see an initial review from you soon and yes I think I sit in this car with you

Hope to see the car in the flesh soon, maybe on the weekend.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

great choice. the innova club is growing. just took mine to 160 on the expressway a few days ago and it felt as though we were doing 80. firmly planted.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
vkochar, Addis gave me a dealer discount of some 37,000 odd. This was applicable in March. The cash discount from the bank is pretty standard i think.
Oh Ok !! I just called up MGF Toyota in Gurgaon ( Delhi ) and they said cash discount of 20,000 with an additional 4% discount of the Financed Amount.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Oh Ok !! I just called up MGF Toyota in Gurgaon ( Delhi ) and they said cash discount of 20,000 with an additional 4% discount of the Financed Amount.
The DSAs usually give a reasonably larger discount. But when booking with a DSA, insist on taking delivery only from the authorised showroom.
If incase there is something wrong with the vehicle, there is little, or actually nothing you can do at DSAs office.

Madhuban Toyota had offered me 26,000 discount compared to the 37,000 Addis marketing provided me with.
The 4% payout is pretty standard.

manson.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oye congratulations Manjeete!! The Innova is really the perfect chpice as a family car! But you should have taken the Bridgestone's man!
Old 7th May 2008, 15:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Great selection and a good colour choice as well. Congrats! You just can't go wrong with a Toyota.
When I changed my OHC to the NHC, I did seriously consider the Innova but the approach road to my house is pretty narrow and I had heard about manoeuvrability/parking problems in town and my running is 90 percent in the city.
Old 7th May 2008, 16:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
But you should have taken the Bridgestone's man!
That is one thing i overlooked all through the booking, and realised only when i was at the showroom to take delivery. Thought it was too late, and did not want to disturbing anything.

manson.
Old 7th May 2008, 16:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Great review. I enjoyed reading the decision making process.
Enjoy!!
Old 7th May 2008, 19:35   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Glad you finally wrapped this thing up, Manson. I had told you the Innova suits your needs to the T. It sure was a roller coaster ride discussing your options...from Audis and Mercs to Sonatas, Accords and Optras.

Last night, we dined at the Vie Lounge. Since we were a couple of drinks down, a teetotaler lady friend drove us home in an Innova. I slid the middle row bench all the way behind, reclined the backrest and voila...more rear seat comfort than any car this side of the S-Class. Its a truly fantastic machine that will serve you well for a long time to come.

Congratulations!

Quote:
We had decided in the G4 trim, the vehicle would be mainly used by my father at the rear seat, and the twin aircon vents would be sorely missed in the lower trims.
Toyota dealers fit the double air-con on any Innova for about 30 grand.

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2008 at 19:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks