Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am also 6'2" and if comfort is what you want, mHawk won't really cut it because the legroom is bad.
Welding etc., may void warranty, so not a good idea in a new vehicle
Also consider the safety issue. Seats have to be mounted very well. Otherwise in the event of a head on collision you are likely to end up in the opposite vehicle along with your seat and seatbelt...

I have heard that the middle row leg room is tight for the 8 seater version. I haven't heard any complaints about the driver seat. I am surprised that a 6' person cannot sit comfortably in the driver seat with the seat all the way back.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 22nd March 2009 at 16:09.
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I have heard that the middle row leg room is tight for the 8 seater version. I haven't heard any complaints about the driver seat. I am surprised that a 6' person cannot sit comfortably in the driver seat with the seat all the way back.
Wrong info. i am 6'2" tall and i drive the scorpio everyday.
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

I Second that, i am 6'3 and scorpio is perfectly fine.
Old 23rd March 2009, 03:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

i have personally test driven the Scorpio, it is fine if you want an always upright driving position. On long drives atleast I tend to recline a bit and that's when my knees start hitting the dashboard. In any case it is matter of personal preference. Thanks for your comments
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3adlythegame View Post
I Second that, i am 6'3 and scorpio is perfectly fine.
I agree with you guys, Hence I cannot understand why someone will want to remove and re-weld the front seats !!
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Also consider the safety issue. Seats have to be mounted very well. Otherwise in the event of a head on collision you are likely to end up in the opposite vehicle along with your seat and seatbelt...

That middle row can be slid back a trifle to extend leg space. What I also liked about the 8 seater was you can remove the last set of seats in a jiffy, slide down the middle row, and make yourself a comfy bed.

A friend of mine who was taller than me did say he *felt* claustrophobic when he got into the driver seat...so I think this has more to do with the mind.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
T
A friend of mine who was taller than me did say he *felt* claustrophobic when he got into the driver seat...so I think this has more to do with the mind.
Yes, claustrophobic to some is cozy to others! I love cozy.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes! That is exactly how I felt. Everything was close by and I felt more comfortable about not having to reach out too much.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:06   #24
BHPian

Same here - may be it is in the mind. Before buying my Bolero CRDe I sat on the mHawk. I thought why not. May be mahindra has improved it after so many years. Bit I still found it claustrophobic. Let me explain. Am 6', for me leg space (for using the pedals) was ok but when I put my hands on the steering wheel my elbow touched the door. And the steering wheel (even after adjusting the rake) is too low and very near to my legs. In fact when i get in or out - it brushes against my thigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Old 16th July 2011, 14:16   #25
BHPian

Re: SCORPIO VLX mHawk

I just bought a Mahindra Scorpio VLX and my horrified with the quality of the car. Just wrote an email to the Mahindra Customer Care which explains the situation.

"Dear Sir,
I recently purchased a Mahindra Scorpio VLX 2WD HE Airbag from G3 Motors in Navi Mumbai bearing Registration Number MH 43 AJ XXXX. The vehicle was delivered to me Wednesday 13th of July 2011. I purchased this car after having a series of other cars i.e the Suzuki Swift, Skoda Fabia, Skoda Laura and Chevrolet Beat.

A lot of people advised me against buying the Scorpio but in true patriotic fervor and in the belief that your company would have improved the quality of its product over the past decade I purchased the Mahindra Scorpio.
I opted for the top spec i.e VLX, impressed by the features list.

But I would like to inform you that in the 4 days that I have had this vehicle I am truly exasperated by how terrible the quality of the car is. My problems started from the time of the delivery.

1. Driver Door: Inspite of the vehicle having Remote Central Locking, the driver's door didnt open from outside at the time of delivery of the vehicle. A quick fix solution was found for the same, and the door problem was "fixed", only to reappear by the time the car reached home. We had to immediately send the car back to get this problem fixed.

2. Soiled interiors: The passenger side captain seat was soiled under the plastic covering, which I pointed out to the dealership, who arranged to have it scrubbed. But yet the seat cover has the stain mark. I had no choice but to take delivery of the vehicle with the stained seat.

3. Rubber Beading: The rubber beading of the 3rd Quarter Glass on the passenger side was unevenly fit and made for a very shoddy appearance. On pointing out the same to the dealer, he had some helpers push in the beading in, which really didnt help matters.

4. Sticky Tape: The car was decorated with ribbons stuck onto the car's body with double sided tape at the time of delivery, something which was completely uncalled for. The double sided tape now refuses to come out without leaving a stain.

5. Glove Box: The glove box of the car pops open at the smallest jerk, and the quality of the lock looks extremely dicey.

6. Start Stop: This indigenous feature was something that I really appreciated in the product before having driven the car. The Start Stop Micro Hybrid Feature in my car really has a mind of its own, refusing to start on every alternate occasion after the engine has stopped, even though the clutch is pressed. I am left with no option but to switch off the same feature.

7. Automatic Wipers: The Automatic Wipers also seem to have a mind of its own, sometimes not working at all when it is raining heavily and sometimes working furiously when there is hardly any water on the windscreen. While this feature works fine 70% of the time, the fuss it creates the remaining 30% of the time has also rendered its service to me completely useless.

8. Alignment of Car: This seems to be the most random thing to have happened to the car, where the wheel alignment seems to have been completely lost even though the pressure in the tyre is completely fine. Now the steering wheel is off centre.

9. Rough Edges of Interior Plastics: The Interior Plastics like the door handles have such rough edges that I have cut myself on them. Apart from that the fitting, alignment of the interior fascia is completely horrendous.

All in all, the 4 days of ownership of this car costing me over 11lakhs Rupees onroad has left a really sour feeling in my mouth. I TRULY REGRET THE DECISION to purchase this automobile and shall actively recommend everyone against making the same mistake as me. I have been a shareholder in your company believing in your products and marketing campaign but I am truly disappointed at the level of quality your products have and now believe you are eons away from competing in the international market.

I am now stuck with your product that I have to endure for atleast a couple of years to financially rationalise my purchase and am dreading the ownership experience.
I do hope you look into this matter as a serious reality check and take steps to ensure a better product.

Thanks.
Old 16th July 2011, 17:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
I do hope you look into this matter as a serious reality check and take steps to ensure a better product....
Mohan, my sympathies!
Ironically, the earlier product was far better built than the current crop!
The sheer drop in standards of fit and finish is something that only a home grown company can achieve!
I own a 4WD that is now five years old, and I intimately track a friend's 7 year old non-CRDe Scorpio. Believe me, both these machines are far better built than the recent mHawks I have seen.
M&M have done a fine job of unlearning how to put together a decent car!
Old 16th July 2011, 22:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@mohandasnikhil:

Scorpio is a decent product when you compare with other Ingenious vehicles. However, Mahindra doesn't have the skills to design a product like a global automotive company and if you are used to the engineering of Skoda, Honda etc, this product will fall very short of your expectations.

I agree with Anup that Mahindra is definitely going through some cost cutting maybe as since there is lot more competition in their turf now and quality is not as good as it used to be.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know about your ordeals mohan sir. I also agree to the fact that Mahindra is now indeed doing a lot of cost cutting in it's recent models.

If you are used to the fit & finish of jap cars, then you will have a tough time adjusting to the crude build of the indians. but apart from such niggling issues, its a great product. the drive train is quite reliable & you will rarely face any major niggles. performance is strong & the car is quite rugged, although i agree to anup sir that even the ruggedness has decreased with every update on the scorpio.

enjoy your scorpio...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks