Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 12:03   #16
jp1
BHPian

That's a reassuring report on Scorpio's ability especially contradicting body roll comments often mentioned in these forums. Thanks for the effort
Old 13th May 2008, 12:52   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Hi

Its worth mentioning that my scorp's wheels stick out slightly from the body - standard tyres 235/70/16 mounted on F11665 AURA Alloy wheels.

The normal steel wheels given by Mahindra are about 5.5 inches wide whereas the Aura Alloys are 6.5 inches wide.

My own inference is that the wider stance and wider footprint which the Scorpio has, thanks to these wheels, contributes a lot to its stability around corners. Which is also probably why the body roll is near negligible even in Hill driving.

Having said that, when taking the higher type of "home made" speed bumps/ speed breakers, if you drive the Scorpio at an angle and take the speed bump literally one wheel at a time, you will find that since it is a high and heavy vehicle, there is some body roll that you can feel. Unless your passengers are strapped up well in the back, they will complain of rolling about in the back seat.

If you take the same speed bumps in the normal manner, going over them with the front wheels first after decelerating, coming down to either second or first gear, and then taking both the rear wheels over the hump slowly, you will not find any problem - the new rear suspension helps a lot.
And anyway, we shouldnt take speed breakers fast - thats why they are called Speed breakers!

Another thing which we all must not lose sight of, is that all these SUV's have a much higher centre of gravity when compared to the normal cars - therefore they are not meant to be used like one would use a sports car -chucking it around bends and cornering very fast/ hard etc.

Importantly,one has to use one's gears first to help decelerate the vehicle and then brake to slow down, rather than simply stomp on the brakes as I have seen a number of people do, even in the hills. The other thing is to use the same gear while going downhill as one would use while going uphill on the same incline. These are old and proven techniques for safe, responsible driving and they also help a lot in proper care of the car.

If one expects sports car like handling from an SUV, then one is definitely going to be disappointed because thats not what vehicles like the Scorpio were designed for in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
That's a reassuring report on Scorpio's ability especially contradicting body roll comments often mentioned in these forums. Thanks for the effort
Old 15th May 2008, 16:48   #18
rippergeo

I've always loved mahindras, and since joining the forum, was bombarded by the message that the scorpio handles like a water balloon. the message was so strong and so frequent, that I didnt even consider it for a test drive.

your posts restore faith in my ex favourite brand, and hopefully someday- when I'm ready, I'll pick a scorpio.

it is true what you say about scorpio owners, they are very tolerant on this forum, and I think that lets the scorpio take a bad rap.
one way of looking at it is, if people dont want to listen to the truth- thats their loss.

PS- widening the track will increase cornering stability i.e-the car can take a lot more body roll before it threatens to roll over completely. but actual amount/angle of body roll will not change AFAIK, for that suspension and anti roll bars will have to be changed and the CG will have to be lowered.

Last edited by rippergeo : 15th May 2008 at 16:52.

Old 16th May 2008, 10:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

hey shankar, i absolutely agree with you about the worthiness of our beloved scorpio.
also, i just loved that front guard of yours.
can u please give me some details regarding that?
Old 16th May 2008, 10:49   #20
BHPian

Hi Shankar -

It would be great if you could post some details like -

What is the model?
3rd Row seating (Split/Single)?
On Road Cost?
Accesories Cost? (Alloys/Front Guard etc)
Any modifications besides Alloys/Front Guard?

Thanks in advance.

A
Old 17th May 2008, 13:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
it is true what you say about scorpio owners, they are very tolerant on this forum, and I think that lets the scorpio take a bad rap.
one way of looking at it is, if people dont want to listen to the truth- thats their loss.
Very nice post, ripper!
Think about this: How does the Scorpio 'take a bad rap'? At whose behest? Do you really give credence to people rabidly glorifying a brand that they prefer?
These are subjective issues. The truth means different things to different people. And requirements differ for different people.
Those that are serious travellers choose their vehicles with certain specific requirements in sight. My choice of the Scorpio was based on the 'truth' that I saw, and the 'truth' that I wanted. I am a satisfied owner thus far.

Happy driving! Go with M&M if that is what you fancy! And, as ARKA says, May the FOURs be with you!

Last edited by anupmathur : 17th May 2008 at 13:04.
Old 18th May 2008, 11:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've always loved mahindras, and since joining the forum, was bombarded by the message that the scorpio handles like a water balloon. the message was so strong and so frequent, that I didnt even consider it for a test drive.

your posts restore faith in my ex favourite brand, and hopefully someday- when I'm ready, I'll pick a scorpio.

PS- widening the track will increase cornering stability i.e-the car can take a lot more body roll before it threatens to roll over completely. but actual amount/angle of body roll will not change AFAIK, for that suspension and anti roll bars will have to be changed and the CG will have to be lowered.
even though there are many to complain or shatter our scorpio's image, without even driving or sitting in the vehicle, we should be happy over the fact that every month its sells about 4500 units, very close to the popular innova.
if there is seriously any major fault with the vehicle, why would it sell so well?
Old 18th May 2008, 16:12   #23
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
even though there are many to complain or shatter our scorpio's image, without even driving or sitting in the vehicle, we should be happy over the fact that every month its sells about 4500 units, very close to the popular innova.
if there is seriously any major fault with the vehicle, why would it sell so well?
that is true. indians are not fools and usually they know a good deal when they see one. the scorpio sells well even though it has very few supporters on this forum. thats what matters.

Old 18th May 2008, 16:15   #24
BHPian

Shankar, as usual a lovely comprehensive driving report. Each time you make one of those out-station trips, your reports push me closer to a Scorpio dealer!
Frankly, I am pretty convinced the Scorp is my next ride (hopefully should get my hands on one in about 4-5 months' time) and I think I will go your route - pick up an LX and deck it up with bare essentials.
Cheers and keep those reports coming!
Old 19th May 2008, 02:45   #25
ajibba

Quote:

Wise words Doc, completely agree with you.

Old 19th May 2008, 08:55   #26
BANNED

thank you
that front guard is a carryboy type
it costs about 10.5 grand
there is another version of the same type - steel frame with polyurethane cladding (the black part) but that other type has built in spaces for mounting the small foglamps and costs about 13 grand.
both these are nice - but since id already had the factory fit the foglamps on the front bumper, i chose the normal guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey shankar, i absolutely agree with you about the worthiness of our beloved scorpio.
also, i just loved that front guard of yours.
can u please give me some details regarding that?
Old 19th May 2008, 09:00   #27
BANNED

hi theo...may i call you theo?

well, please check on the foll earlier posts of mine:

Scorpio LX Crde - My Impressions
Scorpio LX - 1200 km performance update

I ve put the details of costs and the entire accessorization list there.
this Scorpio is the LX model and is a 7 seater; 2 front seats, one 3 seater in the centre plus 2 side facing jump seats at the rear area which are never used. This 7 seater model gives one a couple of advantages like: 1. The centre row gets a little more leg room because the centre seat is mounted a little further back when compared with the 8 seater model.
2.the rear luggage space is also more roomy because there are only 2 jump seats there, and not a full front facing row of seats.

anyway i suggest you go through the other posts and you will get all the details you need I think

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Hi Shankar -

It would be great if you could post some details like -

What is the model?
3rd Row seating (Split/Single)?
On Road Cost?
Accesories Cost? (Alloys/Front Guard etc)
Any modifications besides Alloys/Front Guard?

Thanks in advance.

A

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th May 2008 at 09:14.
Old 19th May 2008, 09:10   #28
BANNED

one very important piece of feedback for the forum.
my parents are both with me on holiday now. over the last couple of days we ve clocked quite a few kms. my mum is about 62 years old and has had a bad hip fracture from which she is recovering slowly. She sits in the front passenger seat. She finds it reasonably easy to get in and out of the Scorpio and once seated inside, feels (according to her) absolutely safe and secure, because of the high seating position and the commanding view of the world around. She also said the seat is very snug and comfortable and even while driving over rutted/ bad stretches/ potholed roads which I did, found the vehicle very well sprung and comfy.
My dad sat in the back along with my wife. Both strapped in properly with the seat belts. Again no complaints ref handling, body roll or ref any comfort issues in the back. Also it has been quite hot these last two three days and they all felt the AC to be extremely powerful and comfortable.
We drove the Scorp all the way to the new Devanahalli Airport and back too, just to get a feeling of a semi long distance trip - everyone was unanimously pleased.
My dad, who has had some kind of Mahindra most of his life, was extremely pleased with the Scorp as a vehicle and now for the duration of his visit, has appropriated it from me, for his and mum's use, both within the city and for trips out of town!
According to me, this more than proves that the Scorpio is a fantastic deal, for various types of people.
Old 19th May 2008, 09:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

hey shankar.balan,

thats a very nice review of your scorpio.

One important point I'd noticed is that the rear passengers were seat-belted. Else I'm sure that their ride would not have been impressive. Good job in making the rear passengers to belt up.

Most cars / SUVs have a much better ride once the passengers are belted up! [oops i meant seat-belted]
Old 19th May 2008, 10:32   #30
BANNED

Use of Seat belts is better - now that all our Indian cars atleast have seat belts, unlike the 1970's and 1980's!
Yes, the rear passengers are held securely by the seat belts, which makes them have a far more comfortable ride too, in the back seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
hey shankar.balan,

thats a very nice review of your scorpio.

One important point I'd noticed is that the rear passengers were seat-belted. Else I'm sure that their ride would not have been impressive. Good job in making the rear passengers to belt up.

Most cars / SUVs have a much better ride once the passengers are belted up! [oops i meant seat-belted]

Most Viewed