Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 23:55   #1

Finally Got my hands on my beast------ safari 2.2

Firstly I would thank team bhp for providing me a positive response about safari.I got my beast on 6 march after waiting for almost a week for the arctic silver .
I really dont know why safari has created such a bad image over the years.I personally liked this vehicle from pretty long as it looks really beastly.Thanks to tata for constantly upgrading it .

I have done 4800 kms on this vehicle till date and der is not a single problem except the rear door shocks leaked out which was replaced within a hours time.The vehicle is awesome in the highways and gives me a good average of 14 kms with ac. really shocking for two tonner suv to return such a great milege.Totally satisfied with the vehicle.

Plus the vehicle has got a image of its own unlike scorpio which u find in every taxi stand.

I would also like to ask all safari 2.2 owners do they get a burning smell especially while reversing with heavy load?Kindly help me out ..

Till then cheers cheers:

Moderator's note : Excessive dotting is not allowed and has been removed. Please ensure your posts are easily readable to other users as well.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th May 2008 at 00:43.
Old 13th May 2008, 08:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats !

Thats a good mileage you are getting; the fuel would be?

And I havent reversed with heavy load and hence cant comment on that part.

Enjoy the beast.
Old 13th May 2008, 09:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition, its really heartening to see that inspite of all the brickbats at "Tata" quality, the tribe of Safari owners keeps growing & growing & growing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
I would also like to ask all safari 2.2 owners do they get a burning smell especially while reversing with heavy load?Kindly help me out ..
Sounds like you could be frying your clutch mate - get this checked out at your workshop real soon
Old 13th May 2008, 09:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats & Welcome to the club.

Nothing like that on reverse, I hope the rear tyres are not touching the body causing the burning smell, could be the shocks.
Old 13th May 2008, 10:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I hope the rear tyres are not touching the body causing the burning smell, could be the shocks.
Should be happening for both forward & reverse in that case? I'm wondering if a "half clutch" situation (could be common while reversing slowly in restricted space) is causing this

Last edited by suman : 13th May 2008 at 10:01.
Old 13th May 2008, 10:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

The reason I am suspecting the rear is due to the soft suspension/ Coil springs and safari tends to bend more at the rear with loads.

Half clutch could be another suspect but is not susceptible to burn at short reversing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Should be happening for both forward & reverse in that case? I'm wondering if a "half clutch" situation (could be common while reversing slowly in restricted space) is causing this
Old 13th May 2008, 10:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The reason I am suspecting the rear is due to the soft suspension/ Coil springs and safari tends to bend more at the rear with loads.
What I was asking was - why would the problem only surface when he was reversing? If it was an issue with the rear tyres or shocks, it should have happened for forward travel as well as reverse (with heavy load)?
Old 13th May 2008, 10:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Very true, it should've been both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
What I was asking was - why would the problem only surface when he was reversing? If it was an issue with the rear tyres or shocks, it should have happened for forward travel as well as reverse (with heavy load)?
Old 13th May 2008, 11:21   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the new car. Very eager to know how you managed 14km with AC- any secrets?
Old 13th May 2008, 16:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
I really dont know why safari has created such a bad image over the years.I personally liked this vehicle from pretty long as it looks really beastly.Thanks to tata for constantly upgrading it .

I have done 4800 kms on this vehicle till date and der is not a single problem except the rear door shocks leaked out which was replaced within a hours time.The vehicle is awesome in the highways and gives me a good average of 14 kms with ac. really shocking for two tonner suv to return such a great milege.Totally satisfied with the vehicle.
Congrats!! Good choice of color, I really love the new TATA Safari. It's affordable and a gr8 looker too. How did you manage 14 km/l - What fuel do you use, is your AC on full blast considering it's summer. I believe most of the 4800km are highway miles?
Old 13th May 2008, 17:38   #11

carzy---yeah mostly highways..na it was at 2 or 3 speed I used xtra mile from day one...

DieselOne---It was mostly driven on highways hardly in the city that must be a reason plus mangalore traffic is better...

Dadu--Ya both ways specially when the speed drops..Had gone to the service station today he suggested not to increase the engine rpm and allow the turbo to do its work Heard its a common dicor problem with the clutch...

Jk Das---Am using xtramile diesel from day one

And thanks everyone for such a instant response
Old 13th May 2008, 17:41   #12

And guys do remember to grease the front wheel arms the grease tends to dry up soon..I got this suggestion from Tata people when I complained of little cracking sound while turning....
Old 13th May 2008, 19:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new beast mate. Enjoy it whole heartedly. I knew that the new 2.2 had advanced engine technology compared to the old 3.0 litre ones. But 14kmpl is awesome compared to the weight of the vehicle. Was most of the miles on the highway or both city and highway?
Old 14th May 2008, 11:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate !! Good mileage there. How about a few Pics ??

What model BTW ? Ex Or Lx ?
Old 31st May 2008, 15:11   #15
BHPian

great,
welcome to the club and enjoy your beast.

I do get smell while reversing and some times while in the front both while in a steep slope

Last edited by bglsrini : 31st May 2008 at 15:17.

Most Viewed