Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 00:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscap View Post
For example, one of my friends had told me that Tata cars don't have "kamanis" but maruti omni has it. So Tata cars are not reliable. I don't know the exact english word for 'kamani' but it's the shock absorber made of metal sheets, commonly found in trucks and old buses which ply on indian roads.
They are called Leaf Springs and yes they are an obsolete technology..

Quote:
These are all obsolete so far as Euro II standard is concerned, I guess.
Euro II standards are to measure the pollution level emitted by a car. It ahs nothing to do with the car's suspension.
Old 4th June 2008, 08:33   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
nope , just with my indica. i felt the ride over bumpy roads to be smoother with the swift. or it may be my friends driving. will know for sure once i drive it myself
My Indica had much much smoother ride on bumpy roads than my new SX4. I am really missing it now :-(
Old 4th June 2008, 09:43   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
They are called Leaf Springs and yes they are an obsolete technology...

Euro II standards are to measure the pollution level emitted by a car. It ahs nothing to do with the car's suspension.
Thank you for the both the info.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:25   #94
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sagar,

> trrk, the word no-nonsense was meant for Indica. That is, I meant that Indica > is a no-nonsense car. I did not call your post a nonsense.

I fully understood that. If you had actually called my post a nonsense, I would not have replied to it.

> Good to see your positive observations about Tata cars.

I have had a string of Tata vehicles - Sumo, Safri, Indica and Marina. All have been trouble free both inside town and on highways.

> I think Tata cars deserve more credit than has been accorded to them.

True. So do some other cars. The service side is something which harms a vehicle's reputation easily.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> My Indica had much much smoother ride on bumpy roads than my new SX4.

The Indica scores over the Marina too. And both of them score over my City.

Among the lower end of the market, Palio has the best ride. It scores in handling too. Logan is said to have a very good ride. Fiest is also upposed to have a good ride. I have not driven the Logan or Fiesta.

Newer cars offer a stiff ride in slow speeds and improve when at highway speeds.

Ride is very subjective. I like a soft ride, which might affect handling. In that vein, I loved my Cielo's ride.

The short test drive in the CS LS that I had also impressed me with its ride.
Old 13th June 2008, 09:14   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much sridharps for your encouragement and feedback! I guess you had a petrol version of indigo.
No, I have a diesel version actually. When I bought the car I missed out on taking an extended warranty option (extending 1.5 yrs to 3 yrs). Surprise, surprise..a couple of parts failed exactly 15 days after the 1.5 yrs warranty period expired! The replacements would have cost me around 12-13 k. I escalated to tata and they agreed to do this replacement free of cost. Since then I haven't had any major issues - some small niggles for sure. I got the clutch changed at 45k,though. The tyres are still going strong, but I may change them soon.
Old 13th June 2008, 11:26   #97
Senior - BHPian

crosscap - the other CS'owner - whats the FE you have got till now? 1st day I got 15.5 for 200kms drive on highway - after 300Kms now the needle is just on the half way mark (after major city + AC always) - looks like still around 15 mark - pretty Ok for me for a new car.

I want to recomend the GLS CS to my friend - he was bit worried about the petrol price - please tell me what are you currently getting as FE?
Old 14th June 2008, 10:06   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
crosscap - the other CS'owner - whats the FE you have got till now? 1st day I got 15.5 for 200kms drive on highway - after 300Kms now the needle is just on the half way mark (after major city + AC always) - looks like still around 15 mark - pretty Ok for me for a new car.

I want to recomend the GLS CS to my friend - he was bit worried about the petrol price - please tell me what are you currently getting as FE?
svsantosh, give me some time. I am out of town now. If you have read my posts. after I got the tank full, I have driven around 50-60 kms. I am going back to Alld. on Monday. I shall get back to your queries ASAP.
Old 14th June 2008, 10:21   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
svsantosh, give me some time. I am out of town now. If you have read my posts. after I got the tank full, I have driven around 50-60 kms. I am going back to Alld. on Monday. I shall get back to your queries ASAP.
cool...will wait - check my thread for FE #s... (LOL)
Old 17th June 2008, 21:33   #100
BHPian

Defogging the windscreen : the effective one?

I am back in Allahabad. Today, I drove briefly in torrential rain. I am having one common problem during rain : there is a lot of deposition of moisture on inside of the windscreen which blinds my vision. I put the heater to the max.(end of red line), set it to the windscreen outlet and put the regulator to the max.(mark 4), thinking that the hot dry air will remove the moisture from the windscreen faster. Somehow I found that the blower is not so strong enough. It could not remove all the moisture. What do you people do? Do you try the cooler instead of the heater which will remove the moisture from the driver's breathing? Another practical solution is to roll down the windows to let the colder air inside the car; I could not do that since it was raining heavily. The hot air technique helped me a lot in US. I just want to know the most effective defogging technique in Indian climate.
Old 17th June 2008, 21:42   #101
Senior - BHPian

I usually find that setting it to the coolest temp clears the mist
Old 18th June 2008, 13:41   #102
Senior - BHPian

Hi crosscap,

greenhorn is correct. Leave it in regular AC mode. You don't even have to use the windscreen mode.

If the cooling is too much reduce the thermostat and the blower speed to comfortable levels.
Old 18th June 2008, 14:01   #103
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
They are called Leaf Springs and yes they are an obsolete technology..
Well, leaf springs may be ancient but they are great for load-carrying applications on a budget.
Old 18th June 2008, 15:11   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I put the heater to the max.(end of red line), set it to the windscreen outlet and put the regulator to the max.(mark 4), .
Fellow CS friend, you got it completely wrong, you need to set the AC to CHILL full speed and then set it to windscreen speed max. science behind this is since the air is already warm inside the car because of your breath's air and the rain makes the outside quite cool, the diff in temp creates the fog, so to match the outside temp you need to chill the inside air. Let me know after your next drive in the rains...

chk my thread, got a new accessory...
Old 18th June 2008, 15:53   #105
BHPian

Dead right on that Bharat.

My office car is an Optra and it's a beauty. It had to be bumped off for another official trip to Pune and for the last week am on an SX4. Boy it rocks. Sure.

But on bad roads and in tight situations, hands down - i love my Indi Turbo. More like the Star Treak adage - goes where no other sane car has ever gone before and how.??

My office driver is actually paranoid at the way this small-car Indica behaves.

But hats off to the Tata's for a generation of successfully running indicas.

Crosscap - you have a winner there and just simply enjoy the ride mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
My Indica had much much smoother ride on bumpy roads than my new SX4. I am really missing it now :-(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks