Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 09:37   #1
LLL
BHPian

Toyota Innova G4 - Nearly booked

So finally i have decided to upgrade my santro to toyota innova.

Initially, my choice was a Safari for its looks but both the test drive experiences left a bad taste in the mouth and i wasnt prepared to deal with breakdowns and frequent visits to the service center. So choice shifted to innova. Did a few TDs and was impressed with it..except of course the looks.

Why cant toyota manufacture innova with Safari body or tata manufacture safari with toyota quality? But till that time, i will have to compromise.

So, i have been talking to toyota dealers in NCR for the best offers. However, i find that both dealers are giving standard company discount + 10% insurance discount and nothing above that. Has anyone got any free accessories or additional discounts from toyota dealers? pls let me know.
Old 21st May 2008, 09:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nearly !!!!!, you can buy a Innova engine and put it in Safari, just kiddin. Btw, the frequent visits to the SC is history nowdays.
Old 21st May 2008, 09:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good choice! It is a very good vehicle - a trifle too big for the city though. A friend of mine who is an architect, does a fair bit of long distance travel by road; he upgraded from an Ikon to an Innova over two years ago. He finds it extremely reliable and comfortable - and fairly reasonable to maintain.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Nearly !!!!!, you can buy a Innova engine and put it in Safari, just kiddin. Btw, the frequent visits to the SC is history nowdays.
Even i am hearing the same... but still tata has vast leap to cover up.

Though OT but a major interior workup in safari will help people gain more confidence in it. The plastic quality and internal clutter is certainly not up to the mark for a sub 8-9 lakh car.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:29   #5
BHPian

Reading the ownership reviews and experiences of the Safari, I am a firm believer that there are more myths than truth about the behemoth and its performance. Anyways, its good to know that you have finally made up your mind and that your search for a new vehicle will now be over.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:31   #6
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I dont have any issues with safari engine. its amongst the best and in fact i will like to take safari engine, safari exterior shell and ask toyota to provide the remaining components & assemble them.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Then what turned you off?? the interiors ??, IMO if you go for an EX/VX they are quite comfortable.

Btw, I will not solicit you, its your decision. Go for what your heart says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
I dont have any issues with safari engine. its amongst the best and in fact i will like to take safari engine, safari exterior shell and ask toyota to provide the remaining components & assemble them.
Old 21st May 2008, 11:22   #8
BHPian

He has been scared away by the so-called stories of the breakdowns in a Safari.
Old 21st May 2008, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Innova is a very good choice and a great vehicle. Comfortable, Economical, Mantainance free and has the best resale value in its segment.

Which model are you going for ? G4 8 seater I assume.
Old 21st May 2008, 12:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Even i am hearing the same... but still tata has vast leap to cover up.

Though OT but a major interior workup in safari will help people gain more confidence in it. The plastic quality and internal clutter is certainly not up to the mark for a sub 8-9 lakh car.
Have owned a Tata Car for near 4 years, the car didnt give me issues at all but those TASC . Hence have decided to stick to a Jap car, no Indian, no Korean.

~LT
Old 21st May 2008, 13:00   #11
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Toyota Innova is a very good choice and a great vehicle. Comfortable, Economical, Mantainance free and has the best resale value in its segment.

Which model are you going for ? G4 8 seater I assume.
Yep, you summed it up quite nicely..though its a bit expensive and toyota must have built-in a good amount of profit in it.

I am going in for G4 7 seater. It will be a corp purchase, hence restricted to 7 seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
He has been scared away by the so-called stories of the breakdowns in a Safari.
Actually there are a few stories about safari breakdowns in t-bhp. Also, I can live with small niggles but my safari TD experiences were horrible. In both instances, the interiors were pathetic and panel gaps were huge. e.g. there was a 1 inch space around the ignition key ring. The door panels appeared as if they were about to come off. And engaging gears in both instances was a matter of fate.

Apart from that, there are umpteen posts on niggles and quality issues. Hence overall, i didnt find it worth buying. Thats why i said, if toyota can manufacture safari, i will take the vehicle anytime.
Old 21st May 2008, 13:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Actually there are a few stories about safari breakdowns in t-bhp. Also, I can live with small niggles but my safari TD experiences were horrible. In both instances, the interiors were pathetic and panel gaps were huge. e.g. there was a 1 inch space around the ignition key ring. The door panels appeared as if they were about to come off. And engaging gears in both instances was a matter of fate.

Apart from that, there are umpteen posts on niggles and quality issues. Hence overall, i didnt find it worth buying. Thats why i said, if toyota can manufacture safari, i will take the vehicle anytime.
I can understand your concerns and I am totally with you on this.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:42   #13
LLL
BHPian

ETA for delivery is Sunday, 8th June

Will inspect the car tomorrow and then get it registered. Will carry the PDI with me. Also i have asked for stock bridgestone tyres and not goodyears. I hope its a good decision?
Old 5th June 2008, 12:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i agree with you on this. the innova is overall a better choice unless you want to go off-roading. however, the safari's 2.2 engine has a slight advantage in acceleration and in-gear timings but the innova's engine is more refined. not that the safari 2.2 is noisy, but at high revs, its sound is too coarse.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also i have asked for stock bridgestone tyres and not goodyears. I hope its a good decision?
That is a good decision! Have fun with the new car!

Most Viewed