Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 07:46   #76
BHPian

3250 Km's and a couple of things done.

I have now completed 3250 Km's and got a couple of things done that I have listed below.

1. Engine Oil Change (Castrol GTX 20W/50) 860/-
2. Engine Oil Filter Change 135/-
3. Spark Plugs (Bosh Mico) 200/-
4. Gear Box and Real Axel Oil (Castrol) 558/-
5. Injector spray 3M 150/-
6. Air Filter Change 375/-
7. Coolent 3 liters (Castrol) 650/-
8. Distilled waters 2 bottels 20/-
9. Head Light asembly changes (Right Side) 1310/-

10. Labour on the above 742/-

Total bill Rs 5000/-.

Apart from the above the Radiator was serviced and checked for leaks and all the tyers removed and break shoes and pads were scraped. The had break was adjusted and the seats and the ceiling were washed. I have only paid Rs 742/- for labour for all the above, and I think that's too less and I should pay the machanic a litte more next time I see him, thought I'll drive for a couple of days and see if everything is fine and then go pay him may be a Rs 500-1000 more. By the way I got all this done by my local machanic and not the authorised service center.

There is still a tak or duk sound coming while I apply breaks at times, for this all the wheels were removed and breaks checked and put back, however the some still remains, so this needs futher investigation.

The biggest issue I faced was in getting the Right hand side head light assembly, too me a couple of calls to many parts vendors and some waiting as the Amby Avigo head lights are hard to get, since the production has stopped and there are only a handfull of them on the roads.

The even bigger issue was putting the new head light assembly on, this in the end I realised is a simple task, however the system is complecated, and since we din't understand the system while removing the old head light, and got into trouble, if anyone is changing the Avigo head lights in the future, it would be wise to give me call first. Even now I'm not totally satisfied by the head light installation, but it's O.K for now. In summary what you'll realise in the end is that, you'll find about 12 screw's sitting on the head light but only 1 of them hold the headlight and the others should not be touched as they just hold the rim that the head light sits on, our mistake was we opend all the screws and this lead to all the complications.

The car as usual is going fine, and the FE is 7.25 Kmpl on Full AC and all city driving. May be the FE will go up marginally after doing the above things, will get to know in the next couple of fills.

The next thing I got to do a.s.a.p is get wheel allignment and balancing done, I don't have any idea how much this will cost, but this needs to be done a.s.a.p. I did 120 Kmph yesterday and after 90 Kmph there my steering was whobbeling a lot, so this needs immediate attention and will get this done as soon as I can.

I'm still happy buying and living with the Amby Avigo.
Old 29th October 2008, 23:48   #77
BHPian

You seem one hell of a happy amby user that is really a neat write up. And everything is so cheap that is the main thing you have a nice big car with all the spares being real cheap. The only thing that is heavy on the pocket is the FE you are getting but does not matter if you enjoy your ride a lot.
Old 30th November 2008, 15:13   #78
BHPian

4000 km's up and all good.

I have completed 4000 km's now and the car is still going good, no disappointments yet, starts on the 1st crank, Mileage with AC 100% all time, city is the same at 7.25 kmpl and Non AC 100% city mileage is 8 - 8.5 kmpl.

Lately I have been reading a lot about build quality on the forum, to me build quality is simple, it is what happens when you bang some other vehicle or some other vehicle bangs you, and on this count I feel safe in the Amby, as the metal gauge is quite thick and I know it can absord a fair amount of bang before the impact is felt by the occupants.

I'm still quite satisfied with my purchase decision.
Old 30th November 2008, 17:38   #79
BHPian

musicmanaman, good to hear great going in an Amby – it is nostalgic to many. I am sure you will enjoy the space compared to the Zen!
Did you get it serviced at HM authorized or a local mechanic?

Keep the updates coming..
Old 1st December 2008, 11:18   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
musicmanaman, good to hear great going in an Amby – it is nostalgic to many. I am sure you will enjoy the space compared to the Zen!
Did you get it serviced at HM authorized or a local mechanic?

Keep the updates coming..
All the work was done by a local machanic, the same guy who used to look after my zen, somehow I'm not confident about the HM authorised service outlet.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:00   #81
BHPian

information required on price

hi guys!i happened to come across an ambasador..its a 2006 1.8 petrol fully loaded car..my dad had an 70 model & i always wanted to drive it but never got a chance as my dad sold it before i could put my hands on it...now i want to buy this car as i always had a soft corner for it...this car has done 9500kms & is white in color with no scratches on the body..the owner has asked me to offer..the new car is around 5lakhs+..please give me your views on what price can this car be bought?
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

you could pay upto 1.5 for that!
Old 25th December 2008, 09:49   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
hi guys!i happened to come across an ambasador..its a 2006 1.8 petrol fully loaded car..my dad had an 70 model & i always wanted to drive it but never got a chance as my dad sold it before i could put my hands on it...now i want to buy this car as i always had a soft corner for it...this car has done 9500kms & is white in color with no scratches on the body..the owner has asked me to offer..the new car is around 5lakhs+..please give me your views on what price can this car be bought?
In my view, you may go upto 2 lakhs, considering the car is in very good shape and it's a 2006 model. Just make sure it's actually run only 9k as quoted by you above and the speedo is acurate, In my case it was genuine 24k on the digital odo when I picked my Bull.
Old 25th December 2008, 09:55   #84
BHPian

4500 km's up and all good.

I have completed 4500 km's and it's all good, the FE is 9 + now, without AC in Kolkata winters, the car is smooth as ever and still like's eating little maruti's on the road.

I shall write more after 5000 km's which should come up very soon. cheers:
Old 25th December 2008, 13:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know that you are enjoying your drive musicmanaman. I had checked out a few ISZ ambys, but they did not have the Digital Odo. Since when did the digital Odo come in? Can I retro fix them?

Cheers
Old 27th December 2008, 07:18   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Glad to know that you are enjoying your drive musicmanaman. I had checked out a few ISZ ambys, but they did not have the Digital Odo. Since when did the digital Odo come in? Can I retro fix them?

Cheers
Mine is the Avigo series, which always came with a digital odo I suppose, the pictures of the same are in the 2nd or 3rd page of this thread. I suppose you can retro fit the same, if you go for the Avigo dash, but then the speedo and odo will be in the center, like mine, which I quite like, at night it looks fantastic.
Old 29th December 2008, 13:07   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
In my view, you may go upto 2 lakhs, considering the car is in very good shape and it's a 2006 model. Just make sure it's actually run only 9k as quoted by you above and the speedo is acurate, In my case it was genuine 24k on the digital odo when I picked my Bull.

Mine is a 2003 Sept Grand 2000DSZ which recently I was planning to sell and was offered 1.9Lakhs. This is because the car has some body work cos of few scratches. Well maybe the resale is good cos its diesel. The guy said he will give 2.1Lakhs if it were in top notch condition.
Old 11th January 2009, 10:46   #88
BHPian

5k km's up, a small bang too.

Hi All,

Just completed 5k on my Avigo, couple of things happened and a couple of things were done.

1. Radiator horse pipes were changed 2 piepes costed about Rs 300/- in total.

2. 1 fuel pipe was changed, don't remember how much it costed, but was not very expensive.

3. 1 liter of coolent was added.

4. the car was waterwashed costed about Rs 250/- with gear oil spay at the buttom, don't have an idea if that helps.

5. The fan belt was tightened a bit.

6. The driver seat had gone in, partly I suppose due to my weight which is on the positive side of 100, just had to take out the seat and get some welding done, and things were back to normal, cost me Rs 300/-.

After the fuel pipe was changed, (this is one of the pipes and I'm sure there are many more, the one that we changed was next to the engine on the drivers side,) some vibrating noise was coming for days and was eventually a small bush had to be put in place to eleminate the same, a small thing but took some time to figure out where the noise was coming from, the pipe was also difficult was to put in place due to it's location, in any case was done and now it's fine.

I banged a Maruti Zen on the back, the guy was infront of me at a signal, he moved and then for whatever reason stopped, I could not stop my bull on time, and kissed the Zen, my left hand side head light took the impact and the glass shreeded to pices, the lights were funtioning though, the Zen dicky went in and the back bumper came off at places as well. In any case got the head light changed the next day, total cost with the head light and labour was Rs 1700/- for the same.

The Amby is a little thursty with Radiator coolent thought, my Machanic says there is nothing wrong with my Car and after replacing the horse pipes it's consumption has gone down, but compared to the Zen I had earlier, in which I would not check the Radiator coolent level for months at a time, in the Amby I make it a point to check the same atleast once a week.

The bull is doing fine as usual, no issues it's become a lot quiter as well, partly due to the fact that when we were trying to locate the source of the vibrating noise, a few other places were damped as well, so inside the cabin now things are much quiter, but in any case the Petrol Amby is not noisy in the first place to start off with.

The overall FE is still 7.25 KMPL with AC 100% in the city. The best achieved in the City has been 9+ and worst 6+.

All in all still happy with my Amby Avigo Petrol (The Bull).
Old 11th January 2009, 11:54   #89
BHPian

Wow Thanks for all the regular updates, I always have loved the Amby, wish i could get one here.
Old 11th January 2009, 12:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
The Amby is a little thursty with Radiator coolent thought, my Machanic says there is nothing wrong with my Car and after replacing the horse pipes it's consumption has gone down, but compared to the Zen I had earlier, in which I would not check the Radiator coolent level for months at a time, in the Amby I make it a point to check the same atleast once a week.
The radiator cap could be a problem with not keeping enough pressure.

Most Viewed