Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:21   #1
BHPian

All that I D(e)zired - UVA LT ABS+Airbag on the way

Hi Guys,

In one or the other threads I had mentied earlier that I had booked Dzire ZDi.

I am all happy with my Palio 1.6 (except the mfg defect occured during first year of ownership and now the Fuel gauge sometimes acts wierd)
I am not sure what I will be doing to 1.6, but currently its lying with one of my friend for temp usage (for around 2 months)

My new hunt started with the ever increasing monthly usage and need of safety features. The way out was to get a diesel vehicle or a good FE petrol vehicle with safety features within the budget of 8 laks. So Verna and Fiesta were ruled out. Fusion+D topped the list till few days although it was just above 8 (8.25).

Then came Dzire ZDi. Wow, that too with in my budget. So booked the vehicle on 6th April 2008 with the promised THE day as 6 to 8 weeks. The delivary date started to look hazzy day by day and finally upon continuous follow up, the dealer admited that the delivary will happen only in June end or July 1st week with a disclaimer of "ek do week age pichhe hota hai". So now with the shatterred dream of buying a diesel sedan in 8 laks, the search started again.

The thought process started again revolving around a good hatch. The names were Getz GLX, Swift ZXi. Somehow felt like should try UVA.

To my surprise the UVA LT now has Driver airbag as option if you opt for ABS. Drove the UVA LT.

The positives
1. Too good suspension setup (this was USP compared to palio 1.6's stiff setup)
2. ultra silent (this was USP compared to palio 1.6)
3. Tilt steering
4. ABS / Airbag (driver)
5. I found the pick up to be just right with AC on and found it to be smooth drive compared to Getz and Palio. We were 3 adult in the car and the drivability was good.
6. Big seats
7. Rear seats can accomodate 3 adults easily.
8. 40:60 split fold rear seats
9. Chevrolet Promise which was offered for free (cost os 12k for UVA)
10. Twin glove box.
11. The dealership is 5 mins drive from my home.

The Negetives
1. Not many on road (I don't care). Should I take it as positive.
2. I would not be upgrading but would be still in same segment B+.
3. The interior looks dull but well Palio has even the worst

The other facts found from various search engines were the UVA 1.2 ltr motor gives good FE of 12 to 13 in City.

The OTR 5.99 Laks was higher but I could see all that I wanted

The deal I got
1. 10 K corporate discount
2. 15 K finance payout ( 4 laks loan amonut)
3. Accessories - Teflon (not sure if I will go for this), Underbody coat, Mud flaps, carpet, leather steering cover, sun film.

The Supply chain
I booked the Cashmere UVA LT with ABS and Airbag on Tuesday 20th May. There was no stock with dealer for ABS and Airbag equipped vehicle. The order was placed with the factory in front of me on Tuesday evening.

Today (22nd May) morning got call from dealer that the vehicle has reached their yard. 2 days turn around time, impressive.

The Dealership and service
I found the dealer to be good in all interacts. I was confused at one moment if I should buy Aveo LT. The confusion was cleared by dealer giving all facts and comparison in terms of money I would be spending in buying and running the vehicle. Looks like they got the requirement correctly. Dealer was ready to get td vehicle at my home to check the parking ease as well.

I was happy to see that dealer was interested in talking about safety features and appreaciated my decision to opt for ABS and airbag.

Looks like this is going to be a long post will keep you all updated about the delivery.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Its a good decision. Cashmere is a very good color. Btw, did you checked with them for the Diesel variant for UVA? I heard its somewhere in end of 2008.

On a lighter note, I feel that the other thread about maruti delays are really going to hit them back... This is 2 or 3rd person in T-BHP cancelling the Maruti and going for GM (The other person also from DeZire but settled for Aveo)

Wakeup Maruti...
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats brother on your newest acquisition. Party time! Drive carefully and do post the pictures soon
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Its a pretty decent car.

Are you Sure of airbag? Gurgaon Apex only says that the option pack is with alloys/leather gear knob (***!). And why not dual airbags?
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Congrats. Its a good decision. Cashmere is a very good color. Btw, did you checked with them for the Diesel variant for UVA? I heard its somewhere in end of 2008.
Thanks, Yes, Cahmere looks classy on Chevy cars. I did check that, but as per them that is not in near future as they dont want to take hit on Aveo and UVA petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Congrats brother on your newest acquisition. Party time! Drive carefully and do post the pictures soon
Sure will post the pics when I get the UVA delivered.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrats. Its a pretty decent car.

Are you Sure of airbag? Gurgaon Apex only says that the option pack is with alloys/leather gear knob (***!). And why not dual airbags?
Yes. This is the option now if you opt for option pack. The Chevy site also mensions that. Even Spark has driver side airbag now. Well not sure on the strategy of driver airbag. The obly logic I could apply was, they have to redesign the dash as there are 2 glove boxes (same as NHS) to accomodate the other airbag kit.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on you new UVA Firebird. From your post you seem to be enjoying the buying experience at your dealer. When is your estimated time of delivery? Hope to see you get your new car soon

P.S Moving this thread to the Initial Reports section since its your new car
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Thanks, Yes, Cahmere looks classy on Chevy cars. I did check that, but as per them that is not in near future as they dont want to take hit on Aveo and UVA petrol.
Sure will post the pics when I get the UVA delivered.
Makes sense. They just started to sell those in some numbers and so may have thought not to hit themselves.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:30   #9
BHPian

Congratulations....finally!!

U-VA is indeed a great car n addition to ABS and airbags is cool.

Will call u soon....

cheers~
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice, Not too many UVA's on the road - take it as a good point as you are driving something exclusive which not every Tom, Dik & Harry Potter is driving

I never knew Airbags, ABS were even available as an option. Interesting !!
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations on you new UVA Firebird. From your post you seem to be enjoying the buying experience at your dealer. When is your estimated time of delivery? Hope to see you get your new car soon

P.S Moving this thread to the Initial Reports section since its your new car
Sorry mod and thanks for moving the thread to the right section.

The tentative delivery is promised on Wednesday 28th May.

I really felt that the GM dealership has come long way and they are improving. I checked the feedback about the service from Few of Aveo owners. Bharati and Ashtavinayak both were rated equally good.

For me Bharati is near my Home and Ashtavinayak is near office. This also contributed in the decision of buying UVA.
I am really happy that I could overcome The great Indian Sedan dream and took a practical yet a good decision.

Its sad that not many people know that they offer ABS and Airbag. I feel they should start using that as USP along with Increadibly Specious punch line.

Last edited by Firebird : 22nd May 2008 at 16:38. Reason: added comment
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ah! one more dissatisfied customer for MSIL. Seriously, they should think of improving the delivery time now. Otherwise they will lose all their customers.

BTW, congrats on your new buy. It is certainly heartening to note that you are getting your vehicle in such a short time. Do update after you take delivery of vehicle.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ Firebird, Congrats ! Seems like you quite happy with your decision.
Do post some pics after the delivery !
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

UVA currently is the most underrated hatch around... no one seems to talk about it, not even brickbats come its way :P
Good decision Firebird. Its a good car for anyone who's looking for a biggish hatch.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
@ Firebird, Congrats ! Seems like you quite happy with your decision.
Do post some pics after the delivery !
Thanks, Yes I am happy that I found the one fitting the budget and the requirements. AND the other reason is I am no more in the queue for Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
UVA currently is the most underrated hatch around... no one seems to talk about it, not even brickbats come its way :P
Good decision Firebird. Its a good car for anyone who's looking for a biggish hatch.
Some how could find only 2 to 3 reviews on TBHP. Looks like people are still to explore this hatch to brickbat ....let hope for a wonderful ownership ahead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks