Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 22:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Just to clearup the manual states the BS3 fuel specification which is met by both Normal & Premium diesel.

No specific instruction on NOT using the premium or USING the normal ONLY.
Yes dadu, its not official. I read it one of the posts here that TASS recommended someone to stick with regular diesel, not sure though. A bit confused. So this means I can continue using the premium diesel ?
Old 30th May 2008, 00:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
Yes dadu, its not official. I read it one of the posts here that TASS recommended someone to stick with regular diesel, not sure though. A bit confused. So this means I can continue using the premium diesel ?

Please go ahead and use premium diesel.

I have been using it for over the last five long years - I have found the engine to be the smoothest and most rev-happy while on this brew. IN fact recently while on a trip, I got low on fuel - so tanked up 10 ltrs of the normal stuff ( just enough to ensure I reach my destination) and my engine HATED IT. I could find the engine extremely rough and the pick up had dropped perceptibly, even the idling took on a edge. I tanked up on premium and things went immediately back to normal!

I don't think any manufacturer has released any caution note on this subject till date.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

I am using Xtramile premium now, Manipal guys were using Speed on their Demo Safari and read this post too.

Quote:
Old 30th May 2008, 11:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I am using Xtramile premium now, Manipal guys were using Speed on their Demo Safari and read this post too.
Thanks for the clarification Dadu. I think I will stick to premium itself.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:16   #35
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You most probably have gone through the whole range of choices - from normal diesel, to System D, to cetane pills, to now premium. Why this change now? And on which are you settling to?
Old 31st May 2008, 12:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Settling into Xtramile for good now.

My Overall preference (considering a balance of Engine refinement and FE for the Safari) in the same order.

- IOC Xtramile
- MP6ty pills
- IBP/BP Speed
- IOC Normal diesel + System D
- IOC Normal Diesel

Havent tried HP though and dont intend to do anymore R&D on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
You most probably have gone through the whole range of choices - from normal diesel, to System D, to cetane pills, to now premium. Why this change now? And on which are you settling to?

Last edited by dadu : 31st May 2008 at 12:46.
Old 1st June 2008, 22:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Settling into Xtramile for good now.

My Overall preference (considering a balance of Engine refinement and FE for the Safari) in the same order.

- IOC Xtramile
- MP6ty pills
- IBP/BP Speed
- IOC Normal diesel + System D
- IOC Normal Diesel

Havent tried HP though and dont intend to do anymore R&D on this.
Left for the first official holiday trip with Safari with a tank full of IOC Xtramile premium diesel and the whole drive has been excellent. Could travel along NICE road while entering mysore road and while coming back. Could do some nice little offroading to at the last patch of the Hosur road exit and was real fun.

Looks like FE that I am getting is pretty good. Its nothing short of 15kmpl as still the fuel meter shows 30% usage after clocking 370kms. Wanted to do an accurate FE check by filling it once again, but then 1500 kms service is due with 1350 on odo.

Forgot to say that before the trip, I got the front windsheild sunfilm-ed. Its garware icecool shield with 5 year warranty, fitted at authorized distributor @JC road. Man, its excellent and without any other glasses tinted I had a comfortable ride to Mysore (started at 9:30 am) and back (at 3:00 pm).

The vision is not at all blurred and during night driving there are no visible artificats. This is well before the time (Around 5-6 days) that the film will take to competely dry up and give a perfect vision. My personal take is @2.4k this is a VFM film and I am happy.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
das, whats the max rpm limit one can go during running in, 2500 ?. I am restraining the revs around 2k atm. In the manual the limits are given in kms, like the shift from 2nd to 3rd @ 40 when you go up and after running in it is 45.
Not sure. But if I remember right you can do 100kmph in 5th.

Quote:
Left for the first official holiday trip with Safari with a tank full of IOC Xtramile premium diesel and the whole drive has The vision is not at all blurred and during night driving there are no visible artificats. This is well before the time (Around 5-6 days) that the film will take to competely dry up and give a perfect vision. My personal take is @2.4k this is a VFM film and I am happy.
Garware is indeed VFM.

Went for a trip to Alapuzha last weekend. Since the traffic was heavy I thought I will follow it rather than take lead . I was surprised when I saw that FE gauge didnt move a mm even after I reached Alapuzha. Things went out of control after that as I had to show some how to behave. Tried to keep steady speed/avoid unnecessary gear changes on my return. I think I was ok for 100kms then ^&&*.

From the reading of FE gauge today morn, I bet I got 12plus this time.
Old 26th July 2008, 03:27   #39
BHPian

Light Upgrade!

Quote:
Got the OSRam Silverstar +50 H4 pair at Rs.380.00 and blue vision H3 at 340.00 for the fog lamp to replace the stock bulbs. Stocks were Philips H4 55/60.

The throw of the light has improved a lot and the overall coverage area has widened. Looking at the light output I felt whether I would have been happier with the night breakers with 90% more light output in comparison to a regular halogen. This is the initial impression and will update you guys soon after finishing a few more kms of night ride.
Hi Vroom,

How has your experience been so far with the upgrade of your head lights?

Question to all.

I know this has been discussed (a lot for that matter) some where in the forum , but i'm still have questions about the type/make of light upgrade i should go for. the OE was just not enough for me. Well not that I got to drive my truck long distance (the one I did was from Trivandrum to Panthalam and back). This was the 1st and only long drive (if you can call it long at all) i've had and was pretty sure that i needed a better output.

Before I could make any more of these trips, I was assigned to a project work and I'm currently in Vancouver, Canada. My Odo was about 2k when I left India by begining of this month.I did read a thread last night on this topic and got confused ( to be honest ) with all the reviews. I hear some folks very happy with Phillips Diamond and Blue Vision Plus bulbs, and some with Crystal Vision and few others with GE and Osram.

My understanding is this -

a) Since i do mostly city driving and occasional ( 3-4 times a month) the so called long and extra long drives, I should be happy with Crystal Vision.
b) Should I stick to the OE ratings or got for 90/100 ?
c) Should i get them in India or can i buy them from Canada or the US?
d) Will buying from US/CAN be a rip off and what about warranty. Will it be international?
e) How about Xenons?

I would be extra glad if folks could guide me to the right direction.

Bugs
Old 29th July 2008, 13:05   #40
BHPian

Bugs, Just got back from Yelagiri yesterday and the OSRAMs proved its worth all along. I faced no issues with the lighting and with the fogs the illumination was sufficient. The reach of these bulbs are pretty good and sign boards, crossing pedestrians all were noticeable. I am a happy man with the OSRams +50 and good VFM.

@all.
Guys the bull has clocked 2k+ and so far so good. During the trip to yelagiri, the front right tyres air nozzle has some problems and the guy at the service station said it has to be checked at a tyre repair shop. The bull touched 150 for the first time and did it once again on the way back with no stability issues. Felt in control all the while. I am a happy owner of Safari 2.2.

Last edited by vroom77 : 29th July 2008 at 13:13. Reason: More stuff
Old 29th July 2008, 13:14   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Srini, the bull run will be mostly in and around Bangalore. Hope to bump in sometime. cheers:

Welcome to the club man,

And ahoy.. one more Safari to Bangalore.

Enjoy your new ride.
Old 29th July 2008, 13:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

You should try Osram Silverstar 50+ as they are the same OE rating.

If you go beyond that you will need to get a relay installed. You can buy from US/ canada, check the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
My understanding is this -

a) Since i do mostly city driving and occasional ( 3-4 times a month) the so called long and extra long drives, I should be happy with Crystal Vision.
b) Should I stick to the OE ratings or got for 90/100 ?
c) Should i get them in India or can i buy them from Canada or the US?
d) Will buying from US/CAN be a rip off and what about warranty. Will it be international?
e) How about Xenons?

I would be extra glad if folks could guide me to the right direction.

Bugs
Old 29th July 2008, 13:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bugs, Just got back from Yelagiri yesterday and the OSRAMs proved its worth all along. I faced no issues with the lighting and with the fogs the illumination was sufficient. The reach of these bulbs are pretty good and sign boards, crossing pedestrians all were noticeable. I am a happy man with the OSRams +50 and good VFM.

@all.
Guys the bull has clocked 2k+ and so far so good. During the trip to yelagiri, the front right tyres air nozzle has some problems and the guy at the service station said it has to be checked at a tyre repair shop. The bull touched 150 for the first time and did it once again on the way back with no stability issues. Felt in control all the while. I am a happy owner of Safari 2.2.
Guru, you say that the air nozzle had problem and then also you drove the vehicle at 150 that's really bad.

Put up your King pictures on the following thread, where all other Safari owners on the forum are - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...tml#post917910

OSRAM is a very good brand and we are using Nightbreaker and night drive with this light is a real treat...

Enjoy your drive.......

Last edited by gowda79 : 29th July 2008 at 13:21.
Old 29th July 2008, 14:57   #44
BHPian

Guys, sorry for coming late, was busy with work all these times. Here comes mine.

Safari 2.2 EX May 2008, clocked 2200kms so far.

Like:
1. Road presence
2. Good mileage
3. Real SUV and off roading capability
4. Roomy

Dislike:
Turning radius could be a bit less. Difficult to take U-turns in one go at most of the places.

Upgrades:
Bulbs: OSRam Silverstar 50% H4 and H3s for fogs (Its white light)
Front windshield tint : Garware ICEcool series.

ICE:
Running on stock Alpine HU and Blaupunkt speakers
Attached Thumbnails
Reclaimed my life with Safari 2.2 VTT Pearl White-safarishootrzhc9.jpg  

Old 29th July 2008, 15:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Guru, you say that the air nozzle had problem and then also you drove the vehicle at 150 that's really bad.

Put up your King pictures on the following thread, where all other Safari owners on the forum are - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...tml#post917910

OSRAM is a very good brand and we are using Nightbreaker and night drive with this light is a real treat...

Enjoy your drive.......
Yes, I should have avoided it with a bad nozzle. Wasnt very sure of the consequences as the air pressure was fine and I wasnt loosing on air. Only issue was I am unable to fill due to the poor fit.

I've posted already in the wrong thread . Doing it again

Most Viewed