Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2008, 21:44   #61
BHPian

After using OSRam Silverstar 50+ for 5k, I am proceeding with an upgrade of the headlamp. Bought Philips Rally 90/100 along with Roots wiring harness and dual head lamp relay.

Cost :
Two 90/100 philips rally - 241.00 (120/piece)
Roots wiring harness - 475.00
Roots dual headlamp relay - 170.00

Total lighting upgrade cost : 886.00

Think its a good option compared to the comparative short life of Extreme Power, Nightbreaker etc.

Got a pair of Bosch wiper blades too for Safari @ Rs357.00

Got to find a good installer for changing the light system without spoiling the OE wiring. Would have posted some pics but unfortunately my cam is not here.

The parts were purchased from
JK Automobiles 2670 8210 - Bosch Wiper blades
AK Traders 41143199 - Bulbs
Sree Durga 4157 5244 - Wiring kit and relay

@ JC road Bangalore.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:43   #62
Senior - BHPian

Its very easy to do wiring coz of the kit. They WILL have to drill a hole on the rear cover of the headlamp to avoid cutting if wires. This is to route the holder.
Old 12th October 2008, 10:47   #63
Senior - BHPian

A sureshot way of the T.A.S.S knowing about the wiring change, there goes the Warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Its very easy to do wiring coz of the kit. They WILL have to drill a hole on the rear cover of the headlamp to avoid cutting if wires. This is to route the holder.
Old 12th October 2008, 11:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
A sureshot way of the T.A.S.S knowing about the wiring change, there goes the Warranty.
The cap is replaceable . Will post pix later.
Old 12th October 2008, 22:14   #65
BHPian

das, please post a few snaps if you are able to squeeze out sometime. It would serve as a reference so that when the technician does the work he doesn't overdo.
Old 24th October 2008, 15:41   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
das, please post a few snaps if you are able to squeeze out sometime. It would serve as a reference so that when the technician does the work he doesn't overdo.
Upgraded the horns to Bosch Europa. Paid 1600 + relay. The guys at TASS removed the original horn relay and routed the wiring through the new bosch one. This avoided any cut of the original wiring. Stock horns were removed and the new ones replaced their position.

One observation is vibrations are felt inside the cabin while honked. Could be lack of sufficient isolators or rubber bushes.

Got two bottles of System D too. Is it ok to use System D with IOC Xtramile ? I can see that everyone is recommending it with normal diesel.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Upgraded the horns to Bosch Europa. Paid 1600 + relay.

1600 for a power horn is too much. Why didnt you consider Roots Windtone Rainbow? Its much cheaper (about 450 bucks) and sounds decent too.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

1600 for a power horn is too much. Why didnt you consider Roots Windtone Rainbow? Its much cheaper (about 450 bucks) and sounds decent too.
Bosch is costly.

Windtone isnt loud as the Europa are. Bosch too have Windtone at 500Rs.

Safari needs loud horns to make way in traffic.
Old 24th October 2008, 19:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Safari needs loud horns to make way in traffic.
Loud Horns??? I though just its sheer intimidating presence was enough! Have things changed?
Old 24th October 2008, 19:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

Hi vroom77,

> Got two bottles of System D too. Is it ok to use System D with IOC Xtramile > ? I can see that everyone is recommending it with normal diesel.

Though I could not find a specific message that I was looking for, take a look at these when you have the time.

Yahoo! Groups
Yahoo! Groups
Yahoo! Groups

If I manage to find the message that I was looking for which referred to why any additive should not be used with premium diesels, I would post the link here.
Old 24th October 2008, 21:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I have always liked the sound of europa horns and found it better sounding than Roots ones. I wont say its a decision based purely on VFM.

Quote:
Though I could not find a specific message that I was looking for, take a look at these when you have the time.
Thanks trrk, shall check in the groups messages and post the link if found. I'll take your advise and wait till I go for a regular diesel fill.

Last edited by vroom77 : 24th October 2008 at 21:48. Reason: errors
Old 20th November 2008, 23:41   #72
BHPian

OE horn replacement ?

Quote:
Upgraded the horns to Bosch Europa. Paid 1600 + relay. The guys at TASS removed the original horn relay and routed the wiring through the new bosch one. This avoided any cut of the original wiring. Stock horns were removed and the new ones replaced their position.
Sorry for the late query. Just saw the thread.

While most of the car safety systems have their own source of sound for alarm purpose, Safari uses the OE horn for the safety system. Since the Bosch Europa has replaced the OE horn in your case, the Minda safety system must use the new horn. Have you checked the "alarm" with the new horn set up ?. Isn't it too loud ?.

I was wondering whether it's better to leave the OE horn connected to the Minda and use the louder horn for driving. i.e only the steering horn buttons should activate the louder horn. This requires some extra wiring - but it's not difficult. I explained this to TASS guys and they say it's doable.

what you say ?.

cheers,
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:24   #73
BHPian

Hi AK,

You are absolutely correct with your observation of the alarm not working with the new horn. I didnt want any cuts made in the original wiring system or connections swapped which might cause further confusions incase I face any problems with the electricals, hence the minda wiring was left aside for the time being.

What TASS has done to fix the new horn is removing the original horn relay, which is plug and play, with the one comes from Bosch. The new relay is screwed to the side of the fuse box and wiring happens from there straight to the new horn. The fitment location is same as JKdas did, right behind the grill.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:46   #74
BHPian

The first major breakdown ...

Reverse gear wheel broken ! Went to a farm of one of my relatives and the wheels got stuck in the sand. Tried to take the vehicle out which resulted in the tires going deeper into the ground. the result, I had to call the recovery vehicle to get it out of the sand. Tata onroad assistance helped in this case at 5 AM.

TASS is saying that they might not take care of the repair under warranty. Any thoughts ?

Last edited by vroom77 : 6th January 2010 at 12:47. Reason: edit
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:45   #75
BHPian

Re: Reclaimed my life with Safari 2.2 VTT Pearl White

Quote:
After using OSRam Silverstar 50+ for 5k, I am proceeding with an upgrade of the headlamp. Bought Philips Rally 90/100 along with Roots wiring harness and dual head lamp relay.

Cost :
Two 90/100 philips rally - 241.00 (120/piece)
Roots wiring harness - 475.00
Roots dual headlamp relay - 170.00

Total lighting upgrade cost : 886.00

Think its a good option compared to the comparative short life of Extreme Power, Nightbreaker etc.

Got a pair of Bosch wiper blades too for Safari @ Rs357.00

Got to find a good installer for changing the light system without spoiling the OE wiring. Would have posted some pics but unfortunately my cam is not here.

The parts were purchased from
JK Automobiles 2670 8210 - Bosch Wiper blades
AK Traders 41143199 - Bulbs
Sree Durga 4157 5244 - Wiring kit and relay

@ JC road Bangalore.
Called up Sree Durga Automobiles, but they hanged up there shoes 3 years ago. Where do i get Roots Wiring harness and relay in a trusted dealer in Bangalore or in JC road?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks