Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 00:25   #1
BHPian

Reclaimed my life with Safari 2.2 VTT Pearl White

Its been a long 1 month :-), yeah it has been indeed a long one reading reviews, ownership experience, pms, phone calls with fellow Bhpians and finally ended up being a proud owner of a Safari 2.2 VTT EX.

Got her delivered on May 22nd at St.Antony's motors, Kottayam, Kerala with 35km on odo and the vehicle arrived 6 days late due to some transportation issues. The deal was pretty good. 20k cash discount + extended 2 year warranty + old price (By the time I had made the complete payment Safari Ex Showroom was up by around 16k). NCB also helped in reducing the premium cost and thereby the total ownership cost.

Registration was at cochin on 23rd of May and we (my wife, son and one more driver) drove back to Bangalore via Wayanad, Bandipur, Mysore route. The drive was really nice and just like other dicor owners here I experienced the kinda muted drilling kind of sound from the left side of the engine compartment. As Srini mentioned somewhere in the thread it could be the tappet noise. Tomorrow I will have it checked at TASS of Prerana.

The odo is at 850 now. The issues that require attention are,

1. Scratch on rear top area which I noticed after taking delivery and bringing the vehicle to cochin.
2. One of the air dir controllers on the floor air vent not working (It doesnt lock on full turn).
3. Hissing sound while revving up (could be tappet problems or the one with fuel pump).
4. Rear left door glass touching some part inside and makes a creaky noise, gotta get it fixed before the glass gets scratched.

After driving 800kms, the gears are pretty smooth now and engine feels much better. Maintaining a tyre pressure level of 32/35 as advised in the manual. But made a mistake by going for tank full of premium diesel (Should I switch to normal diesel?).

Upgrades planned:
1. RE50 suncontrol by 3M (Quoted 5300 @ Pratham, Sarjapur)
2. LLumar AIR 75SR (Quoted 7500 @ Pratham, Sarjapur)
3. Underbody Anti-rust @ 4400.00 @ Pratham, Sarjapur)

Will compare the rates at TASS too.

I find the stock tyres, wipers and horn up to the mark atm and will wait and see if I need an upgrade.

Finally, all this wouldnt have been possible without the sincere help of fellow bhpians and I thank you all for the help and directions. cheers: Please tell me if I have missed any important stuff to be kept in mind during the intial days of owning a DICOR 2.2.

Will add more of the ownership experience and snaps by tomorrow.
Old 27th May 2008, 08:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

GTO, i think we must make it mandatory for the thread owners to first put in snaps then come up with review

vroom77, congrats on your purchase buddy. and drive the bull safely.
Old 27th May 2008, 08:26   #3
BHPian

vroom77, congrats buddy and welcome to the VTT gang. I'll be a proud owner tomorrow and just cant wait for today to get over and done with. Have planned for an Alloy upgrad and sunfilm. I'm also planing to put in the hood deflector by the weekend. that should be helpful for long drives.
Do let us know if you have had any noice/vibration during the drive to BLR.
Bugs
Old 27th May 2008, 09:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Was wondering were you went !

Congrats! Welcome to the club.

Change to normal fuel as my TASS asked me to not use premium and so do others at TBHP.

Bosch wiper if you travel a lot. 350Rs.
Horn, if you travel a lot on highway.

Which agent at Antony's handled your Safari's delivery?
Old 27th May 2008, 09:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vroom, welcome to the club

You cannot do anything of the scratch now, try rubbing it off with a rubbing compound.

The tappet noise also does not have a solution yet.

Which brand of premium are you filling, most ppl have found IOC regular/ premium suitable for 2.2l
Old 27th May 2008, 11:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
I'm also planing to put in the hood deflector by the weekend. that should be helpful for long drives.
Do let us know if you have had any noice/vibration during the drive to BLR.
Bugs
Thanks Bhagath, never seen the hood deflector before and eager to see yours once fitted. Please post some photos.

Vibrations were there while revving the engine from low rpms suddely without changing the gears and while not shifting the grears when the rpm falls below the recommended downshift speed in the user's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Was wondering were you went !

Congrats! Welcome to the club.
Quote:
Change to normal fuel as my TASS asked me to not use premium and so do others at TBHP.
Thanks Das, will switch from the next fill.

Quote:
Bosch wiper if you travel a lot. 350Rs.
Horn, if you travel a lot on highway.
added to the list

Quote:
Which agent at Antony's handled your Safari's delivery?
It was Praveen and Rekha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Congrats Vroom, welcome to the club
, Thanks Dadu.

Quote:
You cannot do anything of the scratch now, try rubbing it off with a rubbing compound.
I have a couple of other areas also to polish and touch up. For folks who live in apartments , it would be a good idea to check out the entry/exit to the parking areas before going for the purchase. In my case, I have to do multiple front/back acrobatics, except for one entry, where I can drive straight in, before I can get the bull in/out of the basement parking. The two scratches mentioned above were caused while coming in for the first time (the driver tried) and trying to get in through the same entrance afterwards (it was me this time).

Quote:
The tappet noise also does not have a solution yet.
I shall update if I get any solutions from TASS on first service.

Quote:
Which brand of premium are you filling, most ppl have found IOC regular/ premium suitable for 2.2l
It was IBP twice and HP premium the second time. I found HP better.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th May 2008 at 11:40.
Old 27th May 2008, 19:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> 3. Underbody Anti-rust @ 4400.00 @ Pratham, Sarjapur)

I had a Safari between Nov 99 and July 2005. The car was of Aug 98 make and registered by me in Nov 99.

It did 76000kms with me and never had any rusting issues. Use the money above for any other worthwhile use.
Old 27th May 2008, 20:12   #8
BHPian

welcome

Hi,
welcome to the club Vroom77.Happy driving.
Can u post pictures of your beast/bull?
Old 27th May 2008, 23:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

I had a Safari between Nov 99 and July 2005. The car was of Aug 98 make and registered by me in Nov 99.

It did 76000kms with me and never had any rusting issues. Use the money above for any other worthwhile use.
Thanks for those kind words. I will channel this into the gps fund as the primary use of the vehicle will be vacation trips on a monthly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglsrini View Post
Hi,
welcome to the club Vroom77.Happy driving.
Can u post pictures of your beast/bull?
Here goes the first one srini. Will post more soon.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th May 2008 at 04:13. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 27th May 2008, 23:44   #10
BHPian

few more

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th May 2008 at 04:14. Reason: Please see the new image hosting instructions in the Announcements section. Using imageshack is against the rules.
Old 27th May 2008, 23:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vroom.!
I guess we`ll see you more in the travelogues section now.
Drive safe.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 27th May 2008 at 23:50.
Old 28th May 2008, 00:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Congrats Vroom.!
I guess we`ll see you more in the travelogues section now.
Drive safe.
Thanks faith, would definitely share the experiences with you all.

Quick update : I have done 930kms so far and no issues so far with the engine or other major parts. Vibrations are there a bit and I am still not sure if its my driving, diesel engine or switch over from Ikon to Safari. Any inputs here would be helpful. Das anything from your side ?
Old 28th May 2008, 13:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

welcome to the safari club

Vroom,

welcome to the safari club! Your ride looks very cool.

- If you intend to have the car in Kochi or near the seaside, the underbody treatment may be worth it.

Enjoy the highway cruiser.

cheers!
Old 28th May 2008, 13:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Vroom,

welcome to the safari club! Your ride looks very cool.

- If you intend to have the car in Kochi or near the seaside, the underbody treatment may be worth it.

Enjoy the highway cruiser.

cheers!
Thanks Srini, the bull run will be mostly in and around Bangalore. Hope to bump in sometime. cheers:
Old 28th May 2008, 13:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Interesting as you live very near sea area. Heard cars in Alapuzha get bad resale coz of rust issue and I have seen Santro in bad condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
Thanks faith, would definitely share the experiences with you all.

Quick update : I have done 930kms so far and no issues so far with the engine or other major parts. Vibrations are there a bit and I am still not sure if its my driving, diesel engine or switch over from Ikon to Safari. Any inputs here would be helpful. Das anything from your side ?
Vibration? When?

Mine just crossed 8300Kms

Yet to find time to drive down to sort the krr krr for a ECU exchange test.

Waiting for you to courier me the Osrams. In half mind to get 90/100W Rally. Next addon for my Safari will be Bosch Europa horns.

I may drive down to Kulathungal when Bugs gets his beast.

Most Viewed