Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 01:06   #1
BHPian

A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire

I have had a 07 Swift ZXI now for over a year now and got a chance to have a side by side comparison of the DZire with my car today. One of my colleagues brought in his FILs car a Red DZire VDI today and I thought I should make the most of this chance. I parked my Red Swift next to the DZire and clicked a few photos with my camera phone (sorry about the quality). Though I didnt get to drive the DZire, I felt the following points could help people unable to decide between the two.

I know this isnt an exact one to one comparison as it is between a VDI & o ZXI but here are some generic observations which dont compare ZXI trim to VDI trim.

Front Seats:
Interior is almost the same barring the changes of the VDI - ZDI (of course!). My colleague who brought the VDI made an observation that he cannot see the instrument panel fully - but i could - turns out I at 5'7" am at just the right height while he at 5'9" is just a bit too tall. So taller drivers may need to adjust their seats accordingly else the fuel display is partially hidden by the steering wheel.
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-dzireinterior.jpg<-DZire
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-swiftinterior.jpg<-Swift

Rear Seat
Rear seat space is almost the same. Me and another colleague were able to sit in both the swift and the DZire and found the same amount of legroom and shoulder room in both. Headroom at the rear was a bit more for the DZire and since the glass tapers down and there is a larger parcel tray one felt there was more space behind you.

Drivers View:
Front seats feel exactly the same in both. From the drivers seat I couldnt tell the difference of having a boot in the Dzire. The Outside Rear View Mirrors do not show anything of the boot. So feels like being in a Swift. The inside central mirror of course shows the different head rests which they take up some space blocking your rear view and also you see the glass taper in the DZire with more of the parcel shelf in view. Backing up should not be an issue as long as you dont forget you have a boot. A reverse sensor should help too.
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-left_orvm.jpg<-Am I in the Swift or Dzire ? Am in the DZire.
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-dzirerearview.jpg<-Rear head rests are annoyingly large.

Cargo Space:
Nothing like the DZire when compared to the puny boot of the Swift. My colleague drove the DZire with his wife,2 kids and 2 inlaws from Trivandrum all the way to Chennai in one day with all assorted luggage of 4 adults and 2 children. So for those wanting the space - the DZire makes sense. You want to do long trips you have to choose the DZire. You can take the Swift on long trips but pack light.
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-swiftcargo.jpg
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-dzirecargo.jpg
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-0526_175956.jpg

Build:
DZire and Swift both seem to have similar build quality with panel gaps and thin sheet metal for the boot and doors. I had to dissuade my friend from pressing his hand too hard onto the DZire. The number plate mounting of the DZire and the Swift seem to be very similar and if not done carefully (with foam backing will rattle like anything. I had that fixed on my car - but this ont he DZire was just screwed on - so when the boot is closed it rattles.

Exterior:
The cars are identical when you look from the front till the rear passenger door onwards. Things change pretty dramatically there with a totally different door shape(top of the door) and much bigger rear windows. Of course the boot at the rear makes the biggest difference.
The DZire from the front with the new bumper and grille looks very classy. The Red of the Swift seemed to be a bit more pinkish than the DZire. Maybe because it is one year older ?

A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-0526_174622.jpg
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-rear.jpg
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-rear2.jpg
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-0526_174612.jpg
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-0526_175404.jpg
A Pictorial Comparison between Swift & DZire-0526_175752.jpg

Overall if you need the cargo space go for the DZire. If you dont need the space and like the Swift you should go for the Swift :-).
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2008, 08:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

cherian

good review of both cars side by side. i think you need to hold your hand still while taking photographs. thats an art one has to master

well boot's perhaps not the only reason for a dzire. you also have airbags, abs, ebd, and climate control with stereo controls on steering too. the inbuilt stereo system is ok in my opinion and gives a nice finish to the already soothing black interiors.

i have three cars in mind for the next time, whenever that is : dZire Zdi, punto, or the new honda city, the former two being diesels and the latter petrol. all depends on the inflation in the country!
Old 27th May 2008, 08:25   #3
BHPian

Wonderful review Cherian, This will definately help the new buyers who struggle to select between Dzire vs Swift. I saw a advt in Yesterday Times of India , Swift celebrating 3rd anv and Now the New Swift is available with Airbags, EBD, Steerting mounted controls, Automatic Climate control.

Since both has more in common.
Old 27th May 2008, 09:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice comparison of both the variants of Swift. Will help others here.
Old 27th May 2008, 11:10   #5
BHPian

Nice comparisions and photo's. Is there any difference in ride quality and handling?
Old 27th May 2008, 13:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice Comparison sjcherian.

This should be helpful to lot of people.

Thanks for posting
Old 27th May 2008, 13:23   #7
BHPian

Thanks everyone. I still havnt had a chance to drive the DZire but will try get my hands on a petrol ZXI for a one to one comparison.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2008, 13:50   #8
BHPian

those clear lens tail lamps make a big difference when comparing the two. personally I dont like the 'bulbous' boot, but the side by side rear pictures give a thumbs down to the 'fused' rear lights of the hatch.
but a good review mate !! get some more thoughts penciled like driveability, handling etc
Old 27th May 2008, 14:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very good work. Will be very useful for people who are considering both vehicles.
Old 27th May 2008, 22:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Excellent comparo, sjcherian!

Did your friend specifically ask for the Swift ZXi's alloys? The (stock) alloys I've seen in DZires are different (a not-so-good design). I think the alloys in your friend's DZire are available only in the Swift ZXi as standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
well boot's perhaps not the only reason for a dzire. you also have airbags, abs, ebd, and climate control with stereo controls on steering too. the inbuilt stereo system is ok in my opinion and gives a nice finish to the already soothing black interiors...
As mdmahesh mentioned, the new Swift ZXi comes with all these features. I guess that a boot is the only add-on when compared to a Swift ZXi.

@Karandeep81, the new Swifts come with clear lens tail-lamps.
Old 28th May 2008, 10:16   #11
BHPian

Yes they got the ZXI alloys added on. It doesnt come standard for the VDI.
VDI pickup and torque is supposed to be really good says my colleague who drives a Santro Xing as his regular car. Looks like he had fun driving with the VDI.

I will try get my hads on a ZXI petrol as soon as possible for a one to one comparison. I couldnt resist taking pictures of the VDI as it was a similar red color as my car.
Old 28th May 2008, 10:31   #12
BHPian

Can anyone tell if the following features from Dzire can be fitted into Swift (Vxi) ?
  • Clock & Termprature display
  • Steering mounted audio controls
  • Integrated audio system
Old 28th May 2008, 11:55   #13
BHPian

Good review. Would help the confused buyers decide between the two. Personally i feel - dzire is more suitable for those looking for extra space and a sedan feel.
Old 28th May 2008, 14:10   #14
BHPian

@Akash: The clock can be fitted. The temperature display you mention is part of the automatic climate control and cannot be fitted to the VXI. You could however buy standalone interiro/exterior temperature displays.
Integrated Audio system & steering mounted controls should be possible as I was under the impression came with the ZXI swift. I am wanting to get these for my car if it is indeed available from Maruti.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great report about the differences and this thread will definitely help potential buyers.

Most Viewed