Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 18:45   #1

Is Scorpio SLX being phased out??

I recently took a new Scorpio SLX, I am enjoying the new toy very much. I was told that Mahindra is stopped production of this model. I was wondering if anyone has any insights on this?

Happy Motoring!!

Manoj
Old 1st June 2008, 11:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

yes, mahindra will stop the SLX variant soon and replace it with the VLS. its the same basically, but with the new mHawk engine and ABS as standard.
they are introducing 1 more variant, the SLE. this has the older engine and will the top end variant in the CRDe variants. its an SLX with some reduced features.
Old 1st June 2008, 12:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

In any case, the 2.6 CRDe will not be phased out in a hurry!

Why, there is even a possibility that the 2.6 NON-CRDe might be fitted into Boleros!
The same as the M2DI, the Bolero engine in the Scorpio!!

Last edited by anupmathur : 1st June 2008 at 12:46.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:05   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

correct
SLX and DX (Current models with 2.6 Crde) have been dropped in favour of an amalgamated version called SLE which combines many of the features of the discontinued ones.
They are however continuing with LX as a base model.
They also have the VLX (2.2 Crde M HAWK) and they have recently launched a VLS or VLE again with the 2.2 Crde MHAWK in which some of the frills and fancies of the VLX has been dropped and consequently becomes a less expensive variant with the new engine.
M2DI Scorpio has also been launched for the Taxi Market.
There is talk about Bolero now getting the Crde 2.6 engine - atleast it was under testing about a month ago in Bangalore at BOSCH.
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:26   #5

How is mHalwk engine compared to the current SLX (in terms of performance, fuel economy etc.)? I am just making sure that by purchasing the SLX I have not done any mistake.

- Manoj
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:09   #6
BANNED

Mhawk is the newgen engine - its a little more powerful, more refined etc since it is new technology compared to 2.6 Crde.

It is also purported to be more Fuel Efficient while not compromising performance. Driving it is nice - I liked the feel and the power but it is very frankly not very widely different in feel from my crde 2.6 - I am not a professional driver so maybe Im not as sensitive as they may be. However, its pickup is very good and it does seem more silent than my LX when the windows are down.

The standard 2.6 Crde itself is a good engine and no one can truthfully say that you have made a mistake by buying the SLX per se because everything is dependent on your needs and your budget!

The VLE/VLS variant which has just been launched, comes with the same 2.2 engine but at a lesser price than the VLX.

Frankly if I had known this was happening I would have myself probably upped my budget and bought this VLS/VLE variant instead of the LX that I bought 2 months ago - simply because this is newer technology and thus, likely to be around longer than the older one! Also the VLS/VLE has more features than SLX so the price diff is justifiable in my opinion. And I did not feel able to afford 11.2 odd lacs for the VLX so that was out of the question!

The SLX as such is being phased out as I said in my earlier reply to you, so in a sense, if one were to buy one now, one would be amongst the last few customers getting an SLX because they would be pretty much clearing their stocks now.

hope this helps you.

another thing - once you've committed to something never regret your decision - enjoy the vehicle because as a vehicle per se, it is a very good, reliable and tough one. And this Crde 2.6 engine is also highly enjoyable to drive.
cheerio

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_r View Post
How is mHalwk engine compared to the current SLX (in terms of performance, fuel economy etc.)? I am just making sure that by purchasing the SLX I have not done any mistake.

- Manoj

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd June 2008 at 15:17.
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:41   #7
BHPian

Mahindra has removed the price list for Scorpio from the scorpio website.
For price its says to contact with dealer.
Old 4th June 2008, 23:39   #8
BHPian

To fill you in on what exactly has been changed in the existing variants:

SLX is stopped.

SLX is now SLE, minus only the stereo system, with all other features remaining exactly the same. Price reduced by 20k (Delhi ex-show 845K). The only 'other' difference I note is that SLE is "...2.6 Diesel TC-2..." whereas SLX was "...2.6 Diesel TC-4..." (Can't figure out what it means though!)

SLX is now also VLS, with all features transferred, plus the following additions:
- 2.2 mHawk engine TC-5 (again that TC thing...)
- ABS
- Immobiliser
- Functional bonnet scoop (how is it 'functional'?)
- Nippon MP3 stereo system
- three colors, viz., Diamond White, Turf Green and Java Brown (missing in SLE)
- option of 7 (with captain row) seater (missing in SLE)
Delhi ex-show of VLS is 933K
Old 5th June 2008, 01:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
it allows air flow to the top mount intercooler through a hole beneath the scoop.
Old 5th June 2008, 09:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_r View Post

- Manoj
no buddy, dont be upset about your purchase. the CRDe and mHawk are not drastically different from each other. the mHawk just offers a little more refinement and power, but even the CRDe is very punchy. its just that the hawk has a bit less turbo lag and is much more linear in its power delivery.
moreover, mahindra has detuned the mHawk's capacity from 140 bhp to 120 bhp in interests of driveability and transmission issues. if the hawk was 140 bhp, then it would have been a vast step up from the CRDe.
also, till now the VLX used to offer a lot of features which was missing in the SLX, but now with the introduction of VLS and VLE, as i saw in above posts, i dont think the difference is that vast.

Quote:
To fill you in on what exactly has been changed in the existing variants:

SLX is stopped.

SLX is now SLE, minus only the stereo system, with all other features remaining exactly the same. Price reduced by 20k (Delhi ex-show 845K). The only 'other' difference I note is that SLE is "...2.6 Diesel TC-2..." whereas SLX was "...2.6 Diesel TC-4..." (Can't figure out what it means though!)

SLX is now also VLS, with all features transferred, plus the following additions:
- 2.2 mHawk engine TC-5 (again that TC thing...)
- ABS
- Immobiliser
- Nippon MP3 stereo system
- three colors, viz., Diamond White, Turf Green and Java Brown (missing in SLE)
- option of 7 (with captain row) seater (missing in SLE)
Delhi ex-show of VLS is 933K
thanks buddy! that was a nice and precise info!

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th June 2008 at 12:54.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:45   #11
BANNED

thanks a lot - good info

also the FUNCTIONAL SCOOP - this acts as an Air Intake in the M HAWK engine - to cool the Engine AFAIK.
The regular 2.6 Scorp has the scoop on the bonnet but this is purely cosmetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
thanks buddy! that was a nice and precise info!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th June 2008 at 12:47.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you must have noticed a "grille" type of thing mounted on top of the mHawk engine. thats the intercooler. the bonnet scoop direcly feed air to the intercooler.
Old 11th June 2008, 12:08   #13
BHPian

Hi,
I recently test drove the 2.2 Mhawk and the 2.6 crde, and the difference between the two was just a slight refinement in the engine.
Personally I would not pay 11 lacs for a Mahindra Scorpio, when the only addons are fancy gadgets such as cruise control which i wouldnt know where to use in India.

Im thinking of going in for the base model of the 2.6 crde which is the LX if im correct.
After which I plan to add on all the accessories such as body coloured bumpers, cladding, key less entry, music system etc.

I wanted to know what everyone thinks of this - taking a base 2.6 crde and upgrading it to my comforts v/s going in for a 2.6 crde top end or the 2.2 mhawk.

keeping in mind the price difference , which is almost 1.4 lacs

thanks

Kundan
Old 11th June 2008, 12:45   #14
BANNED

Kundan

Having done EXACTLY what you are saying in your post; i.e; Buying an LX 2.6 Crde and adding all sorts of things to it as per my own choice and needs I would certainly and wholeheartedly endorse this view!

The Mhawk engine is refined and in my opinion very nice but the cost of 11.5 odd lacs is very high unless you have the budget.Now it appears they have launched a VLE or VLS version with ABS etc at a lesser price.

Check that out if you wish but as far as your idea goes of buying the LX etc etc, I totally agree.

You could read my other threads on the Scorp in one of which I ve mentioned what I ve done. Alternatively you can PM me your email id and I will send you a PM on the various things Ive added to the Lx and the rough costs too.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi,
I recently test drove the 2.2 Mhawk and the 2.6 crde, and the difference between the two was just a slight refinement in the engine.
Personally I would not pay 11 lacs for a Mahindra Scorpio, when the only addons are fancy gadgets such as cruise control which i wouldnt know where to use in India.

Im thinking of going in for the base model of the 2.6 crde which is the LX if im correct.
After which I plan to add on all the accessories such as body coloured bumpers, cladding, key less entry, music system etc.

I wanted to know what everyone thinks of this - taking a base 2.6 crde and upgrading it to my comforts v/s going in for a 2.6 crde top end or the 2.2 mhawk.

thanks

Kundan
Old 11th June 2008, 20:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi,

thanks

Kundan
i would suggest you go for the VLS. the CRDe is a very good engine but the mHawk is a much more advanced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks