Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 18:09   #1
BHPian

Finally Booked: Palio 1.3 SDX

Finally after the long wait & all the calculations booked my Black Palio 1.3 SDX today. Always wanted to buy the Safari (and almost did) but since I plan to quit & study further in about a years time, changed plans & started looking for a car in the range of 5 to 5.5 lacs on road.

The catalyst to buy a car immediately was, I drive a Goa registered car & recently RTO started harrassing more frequently. Got sic of having to bribe them (which they would outrightly ask for as soon as they'd stop me) so had enough of it & took the plunge. Finally will be sending the current car back home to dad.

Getting back to the topic...
Swift Diesel was not considered much since I don't like Marutis' much, already have them in the family, also the 4 to 6 month wait period was very discouraging.

Considered a used Accent, but then when I worked out the EMIs' for that & EMIs' for the Palio thru Company lease, the little difference in the EMIs' didn't make any sense (since interest rates on used car loans are higher), so decided it's best to go for a new car. Also, I have a slight aversion to used cars.

Finally zeroed in on the Palio & it took some time convincing my fiance' that it is a good car. Her argument was that if it's a good car, how come we don't see as many on the roads.

Took a test drive at Concorde motors where I was given a SDE for the test drive, this TD car 'm sure was a customer's car since it had it's Odo cable disconnected. It showed 48 Kms on the meter already. Better half was convinced about the car during the Test Drive & she started liking it too. Now came the bargaining bit. However Concorde Motors wasn't ready to budge even a bit & said that all they can provide me with is Floor Mats, Mud Flaps, Perfume & Idol. They also said that if I buy the 1.6 Sport, they'd give me a 45k discount & a discount of about 23k on the 1.2. However with the rising Petrol prices & the frequent trips to back home, Petrol variant was out of the question.

Approached Prerna, since they'd given my friend a very good deal when he bought his Safari. Prerna Motors was very prompt & efficient with the whole procedure. They came with a TD vehicle to our office at the exact time we'd asked them to be there. We'd also asked them to get all the paper work required to book the car. Took the same friend along & we did a short spin then my friend did the bargaining for me & got a very good deal (I think!). Prerna is offerring me, apart from the accessories that Concorde promised, Llumar Sun Film, Autocop & 3M Teflon coating. Delivery time promised is 15 days, we've asked them to contact us as soon as the Car comes to the stockyard since we want to check the same.

I know it's been a (unnecessarily) long post & that I've drifted off topic a couple of times, I guess it's the excitement that's getting on to me.

Now the wait begins..!!
Old 3rd July 2008, 18:28   #2

Congrats on making this choice Dud_Dodo !
Have you decided on the ICE for this car?
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:05   #3
BHPian

Congrats Dodo.
I have recommended Palio MJD to my colleague as well. He has booked furnace red Palio MJD with Concorde and has been assured of 1.5 months waiting period and may be because this color is much in demand.
The 15 days delivery time promised to you is really a good deal.
Please take time to pen the ownership report as this would help many of them to gain confidence in FIAT.
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dodo on your choice of Palio 1.3 MJD!

You got a good deal at Prerna!

Enjoy driving the Italian hatch with a fantastic MJD engine!
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very good choice mate.
I had almost booked it but there were some problems last moment.

I have now booked a used 1.6.

But none the less, Congrats!
Which color have you booked? and which variant?
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:28   #6
BHPian

Congrats Dodo, great choice. Seems its raining Palios in TBHP. Is this the beginning of the turnaround for Fiat in India? With the launch of the GP and Linea soon, their portfolio will get strengthen.
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dodo congrats . Good decision ! Im sure you will enjoy the Italian built & handling. How much did it cost you OTR ??
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:47   #8
BHPian

@ Dud_Dodo

Nice Choice Mate, Good to know that You Believed in the car after the test Drive
I own a Palio 1.3 SDX MJD But I faced many issues to get it home becasue of the wait time.
You Said Prerna is offerring you apart from the accessories :
Llumar Sun Film, Autocop & 3M Teflon coating & on top of Delivery time promised is 15 days,
Well you are lucky to get them but I Have many Question for you .

1.What coating are they going to do for you ??
because 3M coating & Teflon coating are 2 different things (most of car Comes with 3M only
Teflon coating cost above 2.5k approx )

2.Is it Autocop or Terminator or Perana which Tata Gives with there car ??

3.The Delivery time promised is 15 days???
I'll Pray for you dost.
3.What is the on road price which has been quoted to You ??

4.Is there an additional warranty of 18 months +18 months added ??

5. Last Question ?

Llumar Sun Film : 1,800 approx
Teflon coating : 2,500 approx
Autocop : 3,600 approx

Why will some one offer you a free stuff for Rs 7,900 ??
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashcode View Post
Congrats on making this choice Dud_Dodo !
Have you decided on the ICE for this car?
Haven't decided on the ICE yet. I'm looking for a decent setup, I don't listen to very loud music, but 'm particular about the output being good, all ranges, right from the low frequencies to the higher ones. Do suggest any good ones that you may know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Very good choice mate.
I had almost booked it but there were some problems last moment.

I have now booked a used 1.6.

But none the less, Congrats!
Which color have you booked? and which variant?
I've booked a Black colored SDX variant. Only drawback is the rear seat windows don't roll down all the way. The Sales guy had got a SDE variant for the TD & said that it doesn't roll down completely for the SDX either (SDE is manual rolling for rear seats, SDX has electric windows). But big deal, in this age of Air Conditioned travel, I guess it don't matter much. Reminded me of the 'Dukkar Fiat' we owned once upon a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Dodo congrats . Good decision ! Im sure you will enjoy the Italian built & handling. How much did it cost you OTR ??
OTR price is about 5.66 lacs, however effective price considering the lease etc works out much lesser than that.
Old 3rd July 2008, 20:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dud_Dodo View Post
Only drawback is the rear seat windows don't roll down all the way.
Rear windows never fully roll down in any Fiat cars, be it Uno or Palio and its derivatives.
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_2cool View Post
@ Dud_Dodo
1.What coating are they going to do for you ??
because 3M coating & Teflon coating are 2 different things (most of car Comes with 3M only Teflon coating cost above 2.5k approx )

2.Is it Autocop or Terminator or Perana which Tata Gives with there car ??

3.The Delivery time promised is 15 days???
I'll Pray for you dost.
3.What is the on road price which has been quoted to You ??

4.Is there an additional warranty of 18 months +18 months added ??

5. Last Question ?

Llumar Sun Film : 1,800 approx
Teflon coating : 2,500 approx
Autocop : 3,600 approx

Why will some one offer you a free stuff for Rs 7,900 ??
To Answer your questions..

1. They said Teflon coating, I wasn't sure about the difference till you mentioned it. Will check with them tomorrow, thanks for pointing out the difference mate.

However which is better? 3M or Teflon?

2. Autocop, confirmed. They said the Autocop model they will provide is worth 4.5k. Will get the exact model # when taking delivery, have asked them not to fit anything on the car till we check it all ourselves. They've agreed.

3. 15 days is what they've promised. Concorde also had promised a 15 day delivery time for the black color. However frankly, 'm mentally prepared even if there's a delay.

4. Yes, total of 36 months warranty, wouldn't compromise on that. The Lease company has taken care of that in the quote itself.

5. Llumar sunfilm confirmed. They first said Garware, my friend then started insisting that he wants either Llumar or 3M. The sales guy immediately called his boss & told him 'Sir, this customer has already bought a Safari from us & was provided lots of these stuff'. His boss said, if they're ready to make the payment right now & book it today itself, go ahead. This go ahead was for all the goodies we'd asked for.

Teflon coating was provided on my friend's Safari as well, and they did mention it's expensive.

Not sure about the total cost of the accessories/goodies provided. Don't even want to ask them. However will ensure it is the brand they promised.
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

15 days delivery time is just great. Buyers should really flock to the MJD from waiting 4-6 months for a Swift
Old 3rd July 2008, 23:34   #13
BHPian

hmm, wel nice to know your answers
Teflon is better I got it done free of cost instead of 3M.
Its Good to see that you are ready to wait........
Even most of us did to get the beast,Must say your are lucky to get these stuffs added.
Old 3rd July 2008, 23:44   #14
BHPian

I don't mean to be nasty here but dude but haven't you already read enough about the FIAT A.S.S, even with TATA. The car no doubt is great but what good will it be without the A.S.S.
People who would get a sadistic pleasure by ripping me apart on my quote can certainly go ahead and satiate their evil desires

Good luck bro'
Cheers!
M2S

Last edited by married2speed : 4th July 2008 at 00:00.
Old 4th July 2008, 00:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
I don't mean to be nasty here but dude but haven't you already read enough about the FIAT A.S.S, even with TATA. The car no doubt is great but what good will it be without the A.S.S.

M2S
I agree, Fiat Service is quite bad, I don't think I'll say it sucks anymore, but yes, it's nowhere as good as, lets say, Maruti or Hyundai. But then I guess we all have to compromise on one thing or the other.

For e.g. I always wanted the Safari & we all know about the little niggling issues with the Safari, may it be the quality of plastics or the rattles & squeaks, however I would have still gone for, 'coz I love that vehicle.

Since my budget changed, Fiat was the next best option, within my budget. We all know that it's a beautiful car, so why deprive myself of such a wonderful car just because of the service? Thus my POA is as follows.

The first 2/3 free service that Fiat provides, I'll get them done from the Authorized Service centers. Post that, I'll start getting it serviced by some other good workshop. As of now, I've zeroed in on Green Tracks, which many other fellow BHP'ians had very good things to say about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks