Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 17:26   #1
BHPian

Skoda Octavia vRS - Dreams do Come true!!

September 2006
I was a happy chap driving in and around Delhi city in my Santro Xing, i thought i was a pretty fast driver zipping past many cars and had an impression that santro has a pickup which could take upon most of the cars.
Then my dad decided to upgrade from his OHC 1.5 which i rarely drove and whenever i drove i never took it above 3-4K RPM and hence never realized the true performance of the car. As obvious after my dad got his new car i got the OHC as my daily drive and started using it for commuting from delhi to gurgaon as my MBA college was in gurgaon and i am based in Delhi.

October 2006
It is this period when i entered into the reality of automobile world. I used to read about cars on net almost every day and i joined Team-BHP at the same time. I was exposed to all the talks of revving, rpms, drags, perfect gear shifts, redlining and it just went on and on. I was getting addicted to all of this as i started to drive more and more of OHC and i realized what i was missing. I realized that my days of driving a santro was an illusion. Driving a car like an OHC teaches you what a drivers car is and i guess it needs no explanation so i'll cut this discussion here.

After Four to Six months
I was a silent member during my initial days at Team-BHP and used to read almost every thread. During those days i thought that my OHC was one of the fastest car around along with accords, BMWs, mercs and all and i really used to rip my car. I want to confess that i really like to drive fast and i am a pretty egoistic driver. So if someone overtakes me intentionally i have to overtake him/her back to achieve my dose of nirvana :P
and what better car than OHC to achieve that daily dose.
Two cars which really used to come forward in terms of performance in Team-BHP were OHC Vtec and Skoda Octavia vRS. I never heard of octavia vRS before joining Team-BHP and boy was i smitten by it when i realized its true potential. Suddenly my OHC was not 'that' fast :P
It was a love at first sight kind of a thing for me when i saw the vRS, i always loved the octavia but vRS was just too much, be it looks or performance and all the other features which makes it a very desirable car.

Mid 2007
By this time skoda octavia vRS became my dream car and i dreamt of owning a red vRS. Whenever i used to think about cars i used to think about vRS. Then came the surge of new cars on road such as civic, verna, fiesta, cedia etc and their road presence was multiplying everyday. These all are very capable cars and my OHC was showing its age now. The suspension was giving up and pick-up was struggling to keep up with the new cars and i had to rev the engine real hard to be on a competent side.
My love for vRS was increasing day by day and my OHC was giving up at the same pace.

Mid End 2007
One day i just decided that i should get out of my dreams and should really do something about the vRS and also my OHC was giving me jitters. So i approached my dad..
Me: Dad, my car is really old now. Can we please think about a new car?
Dad(with a straight face): No! I just bought a new car last year, no need of new car, your present car still looks as good as new. Its not the right time to think of a new car
Me: But dad my car is really struggling in performance and pick-up
Dad(with an angry expression): What performance? are you a student or a rally car race driver. Concentrate on your studies and buy a new car when you will start earning.
Result: My first attempt shatterd like a breaking glass. I was really disappointed. I knew if he's really serious about what he said than i can forget about vRS for years to come.

April 2008
A friend of mine and i was having a casual talk about cars and suddenly discussion shifted to vRS and my love for it. My friend then told me that he has seen an advt in newspaper about two used vRS in market. I was really excited and could'nt wait to lay my hands on a vRS. We went for a test drive and that was the first time i drove this car and and every aspect which i thought of this car came true during that drive. I was so excited that i had to call my dad. Unfortunately my family was in mumbai at that time but i called up my dad anyways and spoke to him about vRS and the test drive. I pleaded him to atleast think about it. He said ok let me think about it and will do something after he returns back from mumbai in 5 days. Meanwhile i asked the dealer to give me 5 days and i promise him that i'll return back to him within 5 days.
On the 4th day i call back the dealer to let him know that i will be coming next day and i get the shock of my life. He told me that both vRS have been sold and there goes my dream again in vain. To say that I was utterly disappointed would be an understatement.

July 2008
Skoda stopped the production of vRS few months back and vRS in used car market was a rare thing. My OHC was getting worse and the car was demanding complete overhaul. Although i loved my OHC but i dint feel like spending on it as it was a 10 year old car by now.
Then one of the team-BHPian Abhinav came with a new thread about his new vRS and his discussion with his dad in that thread was in complete contrast with discussions i had with my dad for my vRS :P
I PMed Abhinav congratulating him and also mentioning about my love for this car. He replies back saying that he's aware of one used Red color vRS. That reply suddenly brings back hope!

July 06, 2008
It's my dad's Birthday. Meanwhile i recieve a pm from abhinav regarding the details of the car and the dealer. I approach my dad thinking about 'one last attempt':
Me: Dad i need to get my car repaired. Its not safe anymore, suspension is as good as dead, lights are not working properly, its not giving good mileage and the engine dies during ideal rpms. Also the car rattles from everywhere(mind you no mention about performance)
Dad(In a good mood): Hmmm so what do you want.
Me: Nothing i just want to drive a car which drives like a 'car'. I cover almost 70 kms daily on highways and i dont feel safe anymore. Dont you want your only son to be safe and secure.
Dad: So what should be done?
Me: Dad Remember that car vRS? Thats my dream car and its one of the rarest car in used car market. There is one used vRS please atleast have a look at it. Its my dream car, its the safest car around and it will be very luxurious to drive it. I'll not feel tired on those long drives i do daily.

Well dad finally says ok and i'm on cloud 9..(so far so good)
i rush to the dealer along with my dad and we have a look at the beauty. And beauty it is for sure. Its really well maintained, has covered low distance and engine was as good as new. All the equipments were working properly.
Now this is where skoda octavia vRS showed its magic It really impressed my dad and now he was the one who was taking all the initiatives! He finalized the deal then and there and the car was then washed and prepared and delieverd to our house in the evening where all the paper work was done. And finally at the end of the day i had a sigh of relief and the pleasure of watching vRS parked in your house verandah is something which cannot be described in words!

Last but not the least, i still love my OHC and i've decided to keep it and rework on its problems.

Details: Red Color, 2005 make, Covered 39,000 Kms.

Pros:
Engine, looks, Equipment features and much more(i'll include more in my further posts)
Cons:
Quite big in comparison to my OHC to drive and park
Can't see the bonnet so those tight curves which i used to do with my OHC would have to be more careful.
Finally a pic of my love.
Will post more pics later.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia vRS - Dreams do Come true!!-image886.jpg  

ashish22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2008, 17:43   #2
BHPian

Hey there Ashish,

Congrats on your Red beast. Drive safe buddy. Please do post more pics, interior and exterior.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:53   #3
BHPian

Nice write up .

From the pic it looks like being parked too close to the wall.

If it is ok with you can you tell us how much did this cost you?
Old 8th July 2008, 18:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice, heartfelt writeup. Congrats and welcome to the 20V 1.8 Turbo gang!!
Old 8th July 2008, 18:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

wow man.congrats.such a long love affair with the car and you finally getting it is literally out of bollywood movies.congrats man.ride her hard and safe to enjoy her for along long time.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:10   #6
BHPian

I wish I had a dad like yours and Abhinav's!

Congratulations on the car and it really looks good. Also, it must be a special feeling to get something that you have dreamt of and have longed for. I am sure she will give you unlimited pleasures and serve you without a hitch. Keep posting about your experience with it.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:37   #7
BHPian

congrats buddy. Really well written. Could see the wait in your post take good care of the car and drive safe.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

You must truly be in love, it shows in your writeup. Congratulations on your new love.
Drive safe.
Old 8th July 2008, 20:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ashish, have fun!
Old 8th July 2008, 20:20   #10

Hey Hi Ashish
Congrats man. The Scoda Rally Sport is one amazing machine.... I have the same Red 2005 model and it is a dream.
You just have to be careful about the low ground clearance. But even if u scrape it from under, dont worry, there is a metal plate protection under the car..
All the best for the drives.
Old 9th July 2008, 00:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post

Then one of the team-BHPian Abhinav
Thats me

Congrats ashish. The vRs looks beautiful
By the way, i got mine too. ( Report on the same old thread)

The car is awesome
Have you got the anti hijacking feature activated. Waiting for more pics .
Congrats again .
Old 9th July 2008, 00:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats. How much did you pay for it?
Old 9th July 2008, 01:38   #13
BANNED

Congrats ashish, finally you are one with your love.
Nice writeup, do share more experiences.
What was the price like, I remember seeing one & was really going cheap.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil
Hey there Ashish,

Congrats on your Red beast. Drive safe buddy. Please do post more pics, interior and exterior.
Thanks mate! will surely post pics of interiors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari
Nice write up .

From the pic it looks like being parked too close to the wall.

If it is ok with you can you tell us how much did this cost you?
Thanks. Yeah from the pic it gives the impression of being too close to the wall but its otherwise parked safely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd
Nice, heartfelt writeup. Congrats and welcome to the 20V 1.8 Turbo gang!!
Thanks a lot and i heard a lot about your Skoda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318
wow man.congrats.such a long love affair with the car and you finally getting it is literally out of bollywood movies.congrats man.ride her hard and safe to enjoy her for along long time.
yeah man its does sound like a sweet bollywood romance But now its time to drive her hollywood ishstyle :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB
I wish I had a dad like yours and Abhinav's!

Congratulations on the car and it really looks good. Also, it must be a special feeling to get something that you have dreamt of and have longed for. I am sure she will give you unlimited pleasures and serve you without a hitch. Keep posting about your experience with it.
Yeah buddy even i'm wondering is he the same dad whom i know :P You bet man it sure is a special feeling, everytime i look at her a smile erupts on my face. Thanks for your wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit
congrats buddy. Really well written. Could see the wait in your post take good care of the car and drive safe.
thanks buddy yeah the wait was long and hard but it is the wait which was worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker
You must truly be in love, it shows in your writeup. Congratulations on your new love.
Drive safe.
I'm truly madly deeply in love with my car. Thanks for the wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Congrats Ashish, have fun!
Thanks a lot buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejay.greatone
Hey Hi Ashish
Congrats man. The Scoda Rally Sport is one amazing machine.... I have the same Red 2005 model and it is a dream.
You just have to be careful about the low ground clearance. But even if u scrape it from under, dont worry, there is a metal plate protection under the car..
All the best for the drives.
thanks for the advice and good to know about the metal plate protection. So how's the car treating you, any problems till date?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88
Thats me

Congrats ashish. The vRs looks beautiful
By the way, i got mine too. ( Report on the same old thread)

The car is awesome
Have you got the anti hijacking feature activated. Waiting for more pics .
Congrats again .
You deserve a special thanks abhinav. I dont have any idea about the anti hijacking feature. I'm taking the car for service on sunday so any suggestions regarding the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Congrats. How much did you pay for it?
thanks i'll PM you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1
Congrats ashish, finally you are one with your love.
Nice writeup, do share more experiences.
What was the price like, I remember seeing one & was really going cheap.
thanks bhp1. Will surely keep you guys updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05
Great. You got lucky enough to get that car
lucky i was for sure!
Old 9th July 2008, 12:43   #15
BHPian

congrats on the new ride, Quick Q though, what year and what did you pay for it

can you post up some inside pics

Most Viewed