Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 17:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

BTB, congrats & please welcome your parents to the Fiesta 1.6 SXI club! Excellent report, I like your style
Old 12th July 2008, 18:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy BTB. Ford Fiesta 1.6 really rocks. I really love the engine humming sound (I can still feel even though I'am not driving right now) though mine is 1.3 and on highways, it simply rocks. Do post some pics and do post the experience of gifting the car to your parents (the look on their faces will be worth to watch). This sure will be touching.
Old 12th July 2008, 19:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting your parents the Fiesta! We'll await the pics!
Old 12th July 2008, 19:28   #19
rks
BANNED

On the one hand, you assert that
Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
the next morning, i nursed the throttle along to keep the revs @ 2000 rpm (equating to just shy of 80kmph on the speedo in 5th gear). [...]
Then you claim:
Quote:
like most front wheel driven cars, the back WILL step out of line if you push it hard into a corner, but you can definitely catch it early and stop it ...
So am I right in concluding that at speeds "just shy of 80 kmph" your Fiesta oversteered?

It is not true that oversteer is common in FWD cars. As a rule, FWD's are designed to understeer before they can oversteer. Now you can make FWD's oversteer, but usually either speeds will have to be excessive or you should doctor the rear tyres to have much lower grip than the front ones (both of which are ruled out in your case).

And it is debatable whether oversteer is easily controlled in a FWD. For if you try to accelerate out of the oversteer, you could lose control of the car (fishtailing, loss of steering control). And if you slow down, as you would in a FWD understeer, then the weight transfer to the front wheels could cause further relative loss of traction to the rear wheels and you could do a complete spin-around.

Serious oversteer at high speeds is difficult to control, period, regardless of whether the car is a FWD or a RWD. But a FWD-oversteer can be tricky. Maybe the sedans, being more tail-heavy, are prone to FWD-oversteer. But it is definitely not true of light hatches like my Santro, which will almost always NEVER oversteer, unless either roads are very bumpy or rear tyres are worn out. But I have heard of the heavy Swift being prone to oversteer when the stock 165/80 tyres are used.
Old 12th July 2008, 19:53   #20
BHPian

@ GLASS : Oops, I just read 1.6 duratec (forgot to read SXI). Sorry.
Old 13th July 2008, 08:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Congrats bIte tHe bulLet!
Thunder is lovely color. It looked great on the Fiesta with the touch of green too; but I wasn't sure how it would look on Fusion when I took it last month. Did not want to experiment without seeing. But it looks amazing on Fiesta.
thanks glass!

i was not sure about thunder as a colour as well but given that the folks are ex 'faujis' (!) it seemed a sane choice. it sits quite well on the car as well. i'm surprised - even my brother thought it had green in it - but it doesn't! it is a greyish silver (more grey than silver) and similar to a colour that used to exist on the ikon a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Congratulatulations Bite The Bullet. I have been eagerly waiting for this report. Very well-written report.
thanks ravi,

hope it helps in whatever decision you were waiting to make!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations. The Fiesta was anyways one of the few driver cars under 10 lakh rupees; the facelift seems to be even better.

As they say, pictures speak a thousand words. Lets have a look at your car!
cheers gto,

it is really set up to drive as a gorgeous drivers car and the facelift has helped to spice up the front a little bit since the older version liiked a little bland.

as far as pictures go, the car being with the folks and me living elsewhere presents a crucial problem of me of not having access to the car for pics immediately!!! the brother has been roped in to do the honours!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Congrats on the new Fiesta.

Having owned an IKON 1.6 myself, I know what the car feels like. It is an absolute pleasure to drive this car !!

Brilliant car & very nice gesture towards your parents !!

hi ricky,

thanks man - my in laws fleet of cars had a 1.6 ikon at one point and boy did i enjoy thrashing THAT motor. the fiesta just seems like a grown up version of the same hooligan!!

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Congrats and welcome to the Fiesta sxi club! The new model sure looks good, and Ford did a good job of making the ICE play mp3s.
cheers vnabhi,

i'll pass on you welcome to the parents!!!! like all indians i want more (!) how about a 6 cd changer that ALSO plays mp3's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
oh the 1.6 is an absolute pleasure to drive. nice buy. would be lovely to see the look on your parents faces, when you gift the car
hey govigov,

yeah the look was spectacular - they were really confused as to what was happening and then when they figured out that the new car that the driver pulled up at the gates was for them - it went from bemused to incredulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Nope BTB has mentioned its a SXI . Congrats BTB Excellent Choice & Actually
nice of you to gift this car to your parents ! Cant wait for the pics .
cheers karan,

pics will be up shortly - the brother has been instructed to take 'em since he still lives at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
BTB, congrats & please welcome your parents to the Fiesta 1.6 SXI club! Excellent report, I like your style
thanks suman,

the congratulations have been passed onto the parents as well! i have half a mind to actually tell them to log onto tbhp and see the amount of interest their car is causing!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Congrats on the buy BTB. Ford Fiesta 1.6 really rocks. I really love the engine humming sound (I can still feel even though I'am not driving right now) though mine is 1.3 and on highways, it simply rocks. Do post some pics and do post the experience of gifting the car to your parents (the look on their faces will be worth to watch). This sure will be touching.
cheers snaronikar,

yup - it rocks, no two ways about it! it WAS a really nice moment when the folks figured out that the car was for them... good fun and many laughs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Congrats on getting your parents the Fiesta! We'll await the pics!
hey razor,

cheers man. pics on their way - just that i'm travelling abroad today, so will need to figure out a way to upload 'em after getting my hands on them in the 1st place!!

thanks guys for all the wishes and i'll keep you'll posted about whatever else comes up from time to time...

drive safe and drive sane. cheers:
Old 13th July 2008, 08:56   #22
BHPian

hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
On the one hand, you assert that
Quote:
Then you claim:
Quote:
So am I right in concluding that at speeds "just shy of 80 kmph" your Fiesta oversteered?
oooh.....fighting words!!! (this is going to be fun!)

hi rks,

pleasure to make your acquaintance!

yes - yes and no!

i did keep the accelerator reined in @ appx 2000 rpm which was about 80 kmph.

its not a claim - THAT was a statement!

nope - "at speeds just shy of 80 kmph" MY fiesta DID NOT oversteer because i was driving on a straight as an arrow highway!
the occasion of the oversteer on the fiestas happened when i was driving a duratorq (diesel) up some interesting twisty roads and on another occasion when i was asked to rip another fiesta for feedback for a friend.

Quote:
It is not true that oversteer is common in FWD cars. As a rule, FWD's are designed to understeer before they can oversteer. Now you can make FWD's oversteer, but usually either speeds will have to be excessive or you should doctor the rear tyres to have much lower grip than the front ones (both of which are ruled out in your case).
absolutely right - almost ALL fwd cars are set up to understeer, but it does not take rocket science to be in a situation where the same car can quite violently oversteer. loose gravel, sudden input of violent braking, locking the front wheels up, wet exits on flyovers or being a hare brained twit and looking to get the car sliding! and i have managed to slide a car at substantially slower speeds than 80 kmph.

Quote:
And it is debatable whether oversteer is easily controlled in a FWD. For if you try to accelerate out of the oversteer, you could lose control of the car (fishtailing, loss of steering control).
not easily controlled but if you've been in the situation even once, instinctively you will deal with it better. you WILL accelerate out of the oversteer BUT with opposite steering lock, letting the nose steer INTO the slide. slowing down once the car has lost its tail, is a sureshot recipe for a 180 spin and a COMPLETE loss of control. (unless thats what was intended in the 1st place )

Quote:
Serious oversteer at high speeds is difficult to control, period, regardless of whether the car is a FWD or a RWD.
completely agree. and if you're heading for the pointy end of a cliff, it gets infinitely tougher to control! but with relatively open space and in most cases, a standard road is enough - an oversteer CAN be controlled if you have a rudimentary knowledge of what needs to be done. understeering is much easier to control but oversteers are more fun!
(not that i'm condoning people all over the country to start hitting roads with their left hands on the handbrake lever at all times!!)

Quote:
But it is definitely not true of light hatches like my Santro, which will almost always NEVER oversteer, unless either roads are very bumpy or rear tyres are worn out. But I have heard of the heavy Swift being prone to oversteer when the stock 165/80 tyres are used.
i will happily demonstrate my 5 1/2 year old 1.2 ltr palio behaving like a right hooligan - in the right environment and place. neither is it overly powerful, nor have i done anything to the suspension/grip setup. it is a standard family runabout - as road going as the next mans. the heavy weight may have some bearing though.

cheers man - this has been good fun and i enjoy a healthy discussion between equals. i look forward to the next installment!

drive safe and drive sane.
Old 13th July 2008, 12:16   #23
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post

not easily controlled but if you've been in the situation even once, instinctively you will deal with it better. you WILL accelerate out of the oversteer BUT with opposite steering lock, letting the nose steer INTO the slide. slowing down once the car has lost its tail, is a sureshot recipe for a 180 spin and a COMPLETE loss of control. (unless thats what was intended in the 1st place )
Opposite steering lock in a FWD is a bit tricky because the moment your rear wheels get traction, you may find yourself shooting the other way (fishtailing). But if expertly done, it will work.
Quote:
i will happily demonstrate my 5 1/2 year old 1.2 ltr palio behaving like a right hooligan - in the right environment and place. neither is it overly powerful, nor have i done anything to the suspension/grip setup. it is a standard family runabout - as road going as the next mans. the heavy weight may have some bearing though.
I think so, too.

Quote:
cheers man - this has been good fun and i enjoy a healthy discussion between equals. i look forward to the next installment!

drive safe and drive sane.
Having seen your reply, I can safely assert that you are definitely my superior in these matters. I have cornered hard and experienced understeer frequently when I was ripping my Santro on tube-type S322 tyres. But now with better tyres/wheels, I am also more gentle on my car (want to prolong the life of tyres/suspension/steering in my old car of 8 years, 76000 kms). The steering is the weakest link in my Santro and starts making clicking noises when I corner hard. I have experienced very brief oversteer on a couple of occasions when the car went over a series of small bumps around a corner and I pressed the brake while taking the corner. Now I brake either before or after, and generally aviod doing so while taking a corner.

Happy to exchange notes with you, and thanks for your clarifications.
Old 13th July 2008, 23:03   #24
BHPian

hey rks,

good to see you back...

IMHO...

Quote:
Opposite steering lock in a FWD is a bit tricky because the moment your rear wheels get traction, you may find yourself shooting the other way (fishtailing).
which is why you need to feed in a steady amount of accelerator, so that the car keeps accelerating out of the slide...

Quote:
Having seen your reply, I can safely assert that you are definitely my superior in these matters.)
to the contrary, i am a happy novice who likes to experiment (safely)!!!

i think it is asolutely imperitive that different points of view are brought to the open and given the wealth of knowledge that exists here on the forum, i enjoy discussions with people who might have different experiences or lessons learnt the hard way!!!!

cheers dude and i really enjoyed our little reparte as well!

stay safe.
Old 25th October 2008, 16:07   #25
BHPian

Got my Sxi!

Hi all,
did a quick search for a thread where i could post about my First Moment of Truth (FMOT) [ as they say in mktg lingo; never mind if that didnt make sense!] experience of 1.6 Sxi. Guess all threads are dedicated to S, so pls accommodate my experiential outburst here!

Had waited a long time (about 2 months) before choosing a Panther Black 1.6 Sxi over New City. Had booked it on 10th Oct @ SC ford Mumbai and finally got it y'day.
I did all that was possible to make sure everything went perfect, went through the checklist on this forum, did a pre registration inspection 2 days back. All seemed to be in place only till Yesterday (friday).

Was expected to pick the car around 5, but my sales guy told me it wud get delayed.. reached showroom around 6:30. The car still wasnt there... after a long wait it finally came around 8pm. I was inside the showroom and could see through the glass windows a few showroom people trying to get the car ready. Something inside me made me suspicious and i decided to venture out of showroom to the place it was parked. Then sales mgr suddenly told me that there was a minor issue. When i asked what he took me towards the front side fender. And suddenly the world seemed to turn upside down!
The side fender had been scratched during its journey from Workshop to Showroom!!! i could see some white scratches on the black body like the ones u get when two car bodies scrape each other...
Didnt know what to do, how to react!
First reaction was , "i'm not taking this car!".. but then i realized the car was registered , money was paid and it was not a dent but a few scratches. It was a painful moment.. It was tough to reconcile with the whole situation. You never imagine taking a new Car with scratches.
I gave them my piece of mind and told them it was not done.. they should have done the required to get the car in showroom early. Atleast an attempt to avoid the 7pm traffic might have saved the car.

The dealer folks seemed apologetic and offered deliver the car on sunday after giving it a body treatment to remove the scars. But since I had gone with my family in the whole mood of taking the car y'day, decided to drive the same car out for friday and then return it for paint job the next day.
The car has been taken today for the touch up. Will get the car tomorrow with the scratches covered up..
In the given situation this seemed to be the only solution to me..
I hope i did the right thing.
I guess when the things have to go wrong, they DO despite all your efforts.
The whole excitement & emotions were somehow subdued by this last moment incident.
Waiting for the car to be re-delivered tomorrow................
Old 25th October 2008, 21:04   #26
Team-BHP Support

@BTB : Dont know how i missed this review, but nicely written. Great job at that, and hope your parents are truly enjoying their new car. What happened to the pics, meanwhile?

@libocta : Thats quite unfortunate. Good thing you checked up before taking delivery. I feel pushing for a new car under the circumstances wouldnt really make sense. Hopefully, it would be re-delivered to you as good as new. Safe driving to you.
Old 25th October 2008, 22:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libocta View Post
I hope i did the right thing.
I guess when the things have to go wrong, they DO despite all your efforts.
The whole excitement & emotions were somehow subdued by this last moment incident.
Waiting for the car to be re-delivered tomorrow................
Libocta, congrats on your new car. Sorry to hear of the scratch - but as you said sometimes it happens despite all efforts. I think you did the right things, like taking pre-delivery inspections, checking out at the showroom even if it was late and finally have better sense and praticality prevail over emotions.
Old 26th October 2008, 00:02   #28
BHPian

@libocta
I believe ONE scratch in the very first few days of a car is inevitable. Since you went through it right in the showroom itself, you should be happy.
Old 26th October 2008, 17:35   #29
BHPian

@ Path_Finder & benbsb29: Thanks for those kind, comforting words.
@ Glass: Yups! thats how i have been consoling myself all this while.

Got the car today as promised.. They have done a decent job on the scratch and my Fiesta is indeed as good as new!!! cheers:

Hope there are no more scratches now (wishful think i guess for mumbai traffic)

btw, just realized that its just not those black exteriors which are difficult to maintain. even those beige interiors are gonna give a tough time i guess. I can already see them getting dirty. Or is it the eyes of a new car owner looking too much into everything these days!
Old 26th October 2008, 18:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libocta View Post
Got the car today as promised.. They have done a decent job on the scratch and my Fiesta is indeed as good as new!!! cheers:
Good that you found it out the showroom itself. Never mind, It is a new car , Congrats on your purchase!!

Most Viewed