Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 10:20   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
guys any precautions when cleaning the engine bay with pressure wash ? do i have to cover the ecu ? btw where is the ecu ?

shrey-dude car idleing hovers around 700 and 800. any ways i know vetc's cam has 2 lobes. soo say if i rev up to 6 in second the high profile cam works. soo how long will it take to revert back to the normal cam ? i was wondering in the city conditions in order to get max mileage i have to keep the revs to 4 max. any higher will shift to the high lift cam .
Hey dude, when you take the car to pressure wash, stand next to the guy who is cleaning and get the car cleaned, especially when they are cleaning the engine area. After they pressure wash tell them to use the high pressure blower so that the water will be off the plugs and the other components.

Wednesday I took my car for pressure wash as I had driven it in rain on Monday evening, the funny part was as soon as I went to the service center the owner call his son and was showing the car, his son was a Yo! Yo! Kind was giving me some inputs for further modding, but I was dam sleepy as I am in grave shift.

When you get the engine pressure washed cover the air filter, if you know the service center guy well take the pipe and you take the charge of washing the engine area, but don’t forget to use the blower after you wash.

Also be care full near the head light console, few guys will fill the water in there

Last edited by vinayvtec : 18th July 2008 at 10:31.
Old 18th July 2008, 10:32   #32
BHPian

Hey,

forgot to mention about the ECU, the vtec's ecu is nicely snuggled behing the dashboard. So you dont have to worry about the ECU while washing the engine bay. Rest as Vinay has suggested just make sure the engine bay is relatively dry after the wash.
Cheers
Shrey
Old 21st July 2008, 16:25   #33
BHPian

well met vinay and his baby(vtec) yesterday . we just met up and went through the usual petrohead topics. finally test drove each others cars . saw vinays greddy headers and tht trd end can . car is noiseless even though a ffe was installed . sorry no pics of the meet coz my phone doesnt have a cam he eh .
Old 21st July 2008, 19:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congrats speedfreak, hope you are having a good time with your new found pleasure
Drive safe and be responsible, many a people have gone the wrong way and suffered in this machine so cautioning you!!!

Lets all meet up some weekend, you, Vinay, ssjr, myself and my VTEC gang!!!

Im glad you liked the car, it took me a while to find some virgin like that!!!

I know you would reach out to me but still, call me before you plan to do any mods.

Maja maadi...

Last edited by The Wolf : 21st July 2008 at 19:32.
Old 21st July 2008, 20:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Congrats speedfreak, hope you are having a good time with your new found pleasure
Drive safe and be responsible, many a people have gone the wrong way and suffered in this machine so cautioning you!!!

Lets all meet up some weekend, you, Vinay, ssjr, myself and my VTEC gang!!!

Im glad you liked the car, it took me a while to find some virgin like that!!!

I know you would reach out to me but still, call me before you plan to do any mods.

Maja maadi...
yes sir i am trying my best to be responsible . love the way the car just moves in low rpms without any problems . really a beautifulmagnificent virgin vtec mine he he . got wheel aligned and balanced, checked the undersurface myself .

and sir i would luv to meet up with ur vtec gang and get some tips on how to serve my lady better and i have not planned any mods now but sure will bug u lots once i start modding my beast .
Old 29th July 2008, 17:14   #36
BHPian

just put new air filter and cleaned the plugs . soo gurus do i have to reset my ecu ? another thing before installing my ice i used to get 11.8 kmpl now its kinda reduced by 1 kmpl ? any ideas y ?
Old 29th July 2008, 18:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

just disconnect and reconnect the battery the ecu will 'learn' to use your new filter.
regarding ice, i think the engine is running too cold and thus a drop in FE.
Old 14th December 2008, 04:56   #38
BHPian

Hey Karthik, I think you need to upload some snaps and tell us about your car and the new mods on it.
Old 14th December 2008, 10:24   #39
SYJ
BHPian

Quote:
car and its ice ! lemme know if details r needed

great ride you got there buddy. a vtec, a well maintained vtec as from the pics..plans for any mods..??
Old 8th March 2009, 22:00   #40
BHPian

well it was july 08 last year and time flies soo fast . well my car has come a long way . its clocked 61k now . well not a long list of mod's but here goes

1. 4-1 header with side pipe (just luv it ! )
2. HKS Intake filter with custom piping
3. NGK Iridium plugs

thats all performance mods for now, more soon

well in the cosmetic side, 3M tints all around and MUGEN replica front grill that was done by Satya aka Blueraven Thanks dude !

well post mods car has run for about 2ks . avg hovers around 9-11 depending on my mood . fully satisfied with the mods . will update with underhood pics in a while .
Attached Thumbnails
My 2001 OHC VTEC-ssc_0008.jpg  

My 2001 OHC VTEC-ssc_0009.jpg  

Old 9th March 2009, 00:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

SF - Some pics of the mods please, especially the headers & the side pipes.
Old 10th March 2009, 10:32   #42
BHPian

ok had some free time to spare so got my cam out to take some pics of my car . well as you can see the car is a little dirty .

car is due for its next service . have to get some things sorted out this time . will keep updating here .
Attached Thumbnails
My 2001 OHC VTEC-dsc_0012.jpg  

My 2001 OHC VTEC-dsc_0013.jpg  

My 2001 OHC VTEC-dsc_0014.jpg  

Old 10th March 2009, 14:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok had some free time to spare so got my cam out to take some pics of my car . well as you can see the car is a little dirty .

car is due for its next service . have to get some things sorted out this time . will keep updating here .
Ok... time for some rookie questions/doubts -

1. which are the 4-1 headers you talk about? are they in the pic?
2. I am guessing the long shiny silver pipe is part of the "HKS Intake filter with custom piping"
Old 10th June 2010, 22:39   #44
BHPian

low rpm jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Hi Karthik,

If you notice your tacho carefully, there is a broader white mark just above the mark which shows "0" rpm.

The broader mark indicates 500rpm.

A stock vtec should Idle between 800-1000 rpm. This might just drop down to 700rpm's max. But no matter what it will never die down even if it idles at 500rpm.

Early morning or cold starts the engine will revv upto 1000~1200 rpm and start dropping and settle down to around that 800rpm mark.

You have a good car there! Its in a immaculate condition! Enjoy life beyond 7000rpm!

Cheers
Shrey

PS: @riju: Yes this is the car I was talking about!
Speedfreak/Shrey and all fellow vtec runners,

I had a Vtec test drive and visit recently. 2001 OHC Vtec, 68k km done, II owner, bangalore reg, was for sale. This is the first time I had ever interacted with the so called vtec - one of the best driver's car ever made and driven -

While I test drove, I manged to find at the very first instant the low rpm jerks with pre-2002 vtec models. It was a cold start, as I was pretty sure since it was morning about 9 am, before the car ahs gone for any ride.

This had made me think a lots if to go for the pre-02 vtec ones at any price. Felt it too hard to manage slow speed at higher gears, if you want to drive in 1000 RPM range you should always be in 1st gear. In second gear it always jerks, its just gives the feeling that you may have added adulterated fuel kind of. Never have driven OHC vtecs, so was so much troubled getting it right, eventhough have never felt this any of the other OHC's (1.3 or 1.5), so I was thinking what has gone wrong. Otherwise the engine is stock as well are the tyres and pretty much the vehicle.

Then he told me the jerks associated with those vtecs (pre 2002 oct models) and maybe a change in ECU (costs a bomb) or change to iridium spark plugs should rectify this problem. I am really concerned about this, since now with my zen I just manage to drive in 2nd and 3rd gears as low as 10- 20 kmph speedo. I do lots city driving, then in that case, I cant consider it and will have to keep the zen for sure.

Otherwise I ride a NHC 08 model, I have felt very much the less power associated with it. But absolute butter smooth engine. Can I expect the same butter smooth engine with added and enormous power at my disposal with this vtec. Guys should I go for this, and take the vtec plunge. Is this low RPM jerks a issue to ponder over. Will it later turn out to b a nemesis and burn a hole in the pocket.

Seeking all expert advice.

rgrds
prsn
Old 10th June 2010, 22:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Could not make out from your post what you needed advice with. All OHC VTECs made before 2002 have this quirk. Checking if a new 2002+ ECU will fix it should be a simple job; don't know if anyone has done this already and found out the answer.

And nobody buys an OHC VTEC to drive at ~1000 rpm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks