Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 23:14   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
A GV giving 13kmph ? Come on!

Dont expect Toyota bulid quality in a Tata. I have owned 2 Hyundai's and their build quality is just great. I never took them to the roads I have taken my 2.2L and I bet my Hundayi would have rattled like a rattle snake by now.
And, build quality was the reason I didnt buy a Suzuki.

And will suggest a VX if you drive over 120kmph as its got ABS etc.
Jyoti, have a look here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post891711

Quote:
Yesterday I went up and down from Faridabad to Chandigarh all the while keeping to legal speed limit of 90kmph. For the 475 kilometers I got FE of 13.2km/lt. This is almost as good as I ever got on my Esteem. Will post picture later.

What was funny was a chap in his Honda Accord who flew by me just after Delhi but time and again I would either catch up or even get ahead of him. I kept the constant drive (more to get best FE) while he kept on zooming ahead and braking or stopping.
Old 17th July 2008, 23:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

A very nice review.
IMO, the comparison depends upon personal options.

I suggest you go to another dealer and ask him about your requirements.

It is also possible that they could have done changes to control the maximum speed one can do in TD vehicles.
Old 17th July 2008, 23:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Test drive Safari from another dealer too see if the issues were peculiar to that car.

If you want Toyota build quality in a SUV, try Captiva or Honda CRV.

Grand Vitara is another condender you can look at.
Old 17th July 2008, 23:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Please do not buy the safari. My friend and my brother bought their safari a month ago and guess what! They have been to the workshop 5 times. Sorry to all those who own them but my personal experience says otherwise about their quality and reliability. My friends safari had a problem when it had done only 800 km, it would jerk randomly and the rpm would touch 2k when idle. Went to the dealer who told us that there is some water in the fuel. So he drained some diesel from the filter at the back and all was good. At 1800k the problem returns and the dealer gave us the same story. At the end had to get a sensor replaced under warranty which they wanted us to pay (5k).
Old 18th July 2008, 00:01   #20
BHPian

One more thread for and against safari..........

Iam not into it.

I enjoy My BULL because I bought it out of passion and It has never let me down and I have done 21k kms in 6.5 months and have touched a top speed of 140kmph too.
Old 18th July 2008, 00:19   #21
BHPian

I think every review will have this kind of a comparison of the various models offered in the market.

The only consolation is that the car market is like wine, gets finer with age. Hence what we know about current models this month is more than what we knew last month.

Discussion is always welcome. Congratulations on your trouble free bull. But I have to maintain my stance till my next TD of a 2.2 Dicor.
Old 18th July 2008, 00:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Since you are open to used cars try and find a landcruiser. I think it would fit your requirements to the t. The only thing though is that a used landcruiser of 2002/2003 will cost at least 20-25L
Old 18th July 2008, 01:05   #23
Team-BHP Support

DocG, let me suggest something pal. Do not TD a showroom TD vehicle. They are known to have innumerable problems for multiple reasons. Instead try and hookup with some TBHPian from Mumbai who owns a 2.2 VTT and try driving that. You may get a very different and even a better idea.

Last edited by Zappo : 18th July 2008 at 01:06.
Old 18th July 2008, 06:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Water in the fuel? That would make even a diesel Mercedes/BMW visit the workshop 3 times :-)

IMHO, you can't really blame the Safari for that, can you? Did your friend have any OTHER problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Please do not buy the safari. My friend and my brother bought their safari a month ago and guess what! They have been to the workshop 5 times. Sorry to all those who own them but my personal experience says otherwise about their quality and reliability. My friends safari had a problem when it had done only 800 km, it would jerk randomly and the rpm would touch 2k when idle. Went to the dealer who told us that there is some water in the fuel. So he drained some diesel from the filter at the back and all was good. At 1800k the problem returns and the dealer gave us the same story. At the end had to get a sensor replaced under warranty which they wanted us to pay (5k).
Old 18th July 2008, 15:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Water in the fuel? That would make even a diesel Mercedes/BMW visit the workshop 3 times :-)

IMHO, you can't really blame the Safari for that, can you? Did your friend have any OTHER problems?
You are absolutely correct itwastme; there is a huge difference in Speed, Average, vibration depending on the diesel quality used in the 2.2VTT. My service station has asked me to fill normal diesel from only 2 pumps in town (Rashid Khodadad @ Camp and Koregaon park) which are considered to have quality diesel. The reason - the diesel also acts like a lubricating agent and that is the soul reason for the instruction in the manual to idle the vehicle for 30 secs before turning it off.

Also, using normal diesel on Highway is a huge problem I think sticking to company owned pumps on the highways is good practice.

Cheerio!
Old 18th July 2008, 15:54   #26
BHPian

Manufacturing defects/Service issues

fter doing a lot of research I bought the new Tata Safari 2.2 LX in Black colour in April 2008 from Om Sai Motors, Mumbai. The new engine is really good and responsive. The cabin is much better in sound proofing and there is very little noise of the new diesel engine inside the car.

The interiors are spacious and exterior looks are good too. I have driven the car for about 3000 Km and it is giving me a mileage of about 9 kmpl in the city. The back seat is a little too stiff for comfortable long drives and AC is not very effective in summer.

Still, overall it would have been a great choice had it not been for the worst quality of service from both the dealer and even the customer service manager of Tata Motors and some niggling manufacturing faults in the car.

From day 1, there is a rattling noise in the two front seats. The right side suspension also makes squeaking sounds all the time even on smooth roads. The side cladding has changed colours and showing white spots on several places.

What is most annoying is that out of the 2.5 months that I have had the car, I had to take the car 3 times to the service centre and not a single time did they return the car on the promised date and free of faults. Out of the 70 days that I have owned the car, the car has spent more than 10 days at the workshop. Every time I am told the problem is resolved and every time I find out the same thing reappearing a couple of days later.

There is no apology or compensation from either the dealer or Tata Motors for wasting my time and money. This is my fourth car and it is the most disappointing experience that I have had so far.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:07   #27
BHPian

dude,
buy a car which convinces you and only you. better wait & decide rather than buy and repent. not to offend tata but i've owned an indigo & don't even get me started over the problems. My cousin has a 2007 safari which has gone to the garage with so many niggles (2 major one's) that its not even funny. See no car is perfect, but as you said about the door not closing properly at the showroom shows that its gonna take a little while for indian engineered cars to be completely trusted in the domestic market, forget the international market. After all who in Mumbai has the time to keep on visiting workshops. And one more thing, IMHO, any SUV that you buy, even if its a Beemer, Cayenne, Audi, Pajero, etc. studies have proven that they are a lot lesser safer at higher speeds than sedans. my suggestion is u buy a nice european make diesel sedan (Laura, Jetta) but..... u decide. u're gonna live with it, in it.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 18th July 2008 at 16:16.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:58   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Meantime, I am kicked about TDing the GV.
You are considering a GV after complaining about FE of a Corolla?

Quote:
And my Corolla giving me the awesome 7-9 KMPL that it does, doesn't make trips to the pump an enjoyable time. This made me want to buy a Diesel...More over a Diesel SUV
Quote:
This car will be the 7th or 8th car in my stable in Mumbai. I drive cars more than 3 times the value of the Safari VX in the crowded roads of Mumbai...
And the point of the above statement was???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
The reason - the diesel also acts like a lubricating agent and that is the soul reason for the instruction in the manual to idle the vehicle for 30 secs before turning it off.

Also, using normal diesel on Highway is a huge problem I think sticking to company owned pumps on the highways is good practice.

Cheerio!
Thats for the turbo to cool off before switching off the engine.

Last edited by deepakvrao : 18th July 2008 at 17:02.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:15   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Quote:
Yesterday I went up and down from Faridabad to Chandigarh all the while keeping to legal speed limit of 90kmph. For the 475 kilometers I got FE of 13.2km/lt.
If you stick to the sweet spot on the highway, any vehicle will give you phenomenal mileage. On one trip from Bangalore to Chennai, I never exceeded 2000 rpm in any gear (~115 kph in 5th) - ended up with 14 kpl as FE for that trip. This is the 3.0 litre DiCOR.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Water in the fuel? That would make even a diesel Mercedes/BMW visit the workshop 3 times :-) IMHO, you can't really blame the Safari for that, can you?
I guess, you did not read his post carefully. It was faulty sensor and not water in fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Went to the dealer who told us that there is some water in the fuel. So he drained some diesel from the filter at the back and all was good. At 1800k the problem returns and the dealer gave us the same story. At the end had to get a sensor replaced under warranty which they wanted us to pay (5k).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks