Team-BHP - Only if Tata could back a great 2.2 Safari Engine with product quality and service!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Only if Tata could back a great 2.2 Safari Engine with product quality and service!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/42641-only-if-tata-could-back-great-2-2-safari-engine-product-quality-service.html)

fter doing a lot of research I bought the new Tata Safari 2.2 LX in Black colour in April 2008 from Om Sai Motors, Mumbai. The new engine is really good and responsive. The cabin is much better in sound proofing and there is very little noise of the new diesel engine inside the car.

The interiors are spacious and exterior looks are good too. I have driven the car for about 3000 Km and it is giving me a mileage of about 9 kmpl in the city. The back seat is a little too stiff for comfortable long drives and AC is not very effective in summer.

Still, overall it would have been a great choice had it not been for the poor quality of service from both the dealer and even the customer relationship manager of Tata Motors and some niggling manufacturing faults in the car.

From day 1, there is a rattling noise in the two front seats. The right side suspension makes squeaking sounds all the time even on smooth roads. The side cladding has changed colours and has white spots on several places.

What is most annoying is that out of the 2.5 months that I have had the car, I had to take the car 3 times to the service centre and not a single time did they return the car on the promised date and free of faults. Out of the 70 days that I have owned the car, the car has spent more than 10 days at the workshop. Every time I am told the problem is resolved and every time I find out the same thing reappearing a couple of days later.

Last 2 times I got a dirty car back from service station with scratches which were not there when I gave the car for servicing. Till date, there is no apology or compensation from either the dealer or Tata Motors for wasting my time and money. This is my fourth car and it is the most disappointing experience that I have had so far.

Havent Tata called you from Pune? Usually they do after each service. When they do, tell them all your complaints. At least, that is what the other Tata guys are doing, and they are reporting much better responses.

I'am not sure why did you buy this vehicle. With your post it seems that you hve bought this car by force. Have you read any of the reviews of the TBHPians before finalizing on this car? If yes, then you would hve more familar with the Tata sales & servicing.The can be soloution to your problem may be to approach Tata motors officials directly and inform them about this. Then hope for some corrective actions may happen.

Sorry to hear this ajit. But these things are part & parcel of the TATA deal. I am not saying that every TATA car has these niggles & every other car is free of it. It is just that TATA has been known to have more of these niggles than the others. And there are owners who will also say that they have not had a single problem till date. Suggest you escalate the problem to TATA themselves.

Ajit - IMHO, Tata Safari has to be owned 90% for passion, 5% because its an SUV and 5% its VFM (the bells and frills they give for the top end). Inconsistent Quality and constant niggles are packaged deals with the car. You should buy this car only if - You have an A** close to your home, you do not mind spending time at workshops, you are okay to live with some squeaks and "all new" problems each time.

I used to own a Safari for 2 years and did some great highway drives also, but when i started spending more time at Tata workshops than my work place i decided its time to sell it off. Sometimes job and livelihood comes ahead of passion :)

Hope you get over the niggles and wish you happy motoring..

I am actually surprised that you got no callback from TATA. You didnt complain and you accepted it.

Can you post some pictures of the scratches that you got ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajit_72 (Post 908161)
Last 2 times I got a dirty car back from service station with scratches which were not there when I gave the car for servicing. Till date, there is no apology or compensation from either the dealer or Tata Motors for wasting my time and money. This is my fourth car and it is the most disappointing experience that I have had so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 908315)
Sorry to hear this ajit. But these things are part & parcel of the TATA deal. I am not saying that every TATA car has these niggles & every other car is free of it. It is just that TATA has been known to have more of these niggles than the others. And there are owners who will also say that they have not had a single problem till date. Suggest you escalate the problem to TATA themselves.

Couldnt agree any better here John. With TATA comes the small package called headaches :D . LOL no offense to any TATA fans here.

However one of the tbhp'ians got richer by a spanner in his bonnet during the last service. Now thats the brighter side of being a TATA customer.

So pull up your socks, send those emails and set some rears on fire. Else try a different service center, lady luck might smile at you. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajit_72 (Post 908161)
fter doing a lot of research I bought the new Tata Safari 2.2 LX in Black colour in April 2008 from Om Sai Motors...

Still, overall it would have been a great choice had it not been for the poor quality of service from both the dealer and even the customer relationship manager of Tata Motors and some niggling manufacturing faults in the car.

Since you have done extensive research before this buy, you would be aware of the issues which could come with the ownership. It is still a VFM buy as nothing comes close to an SUV at this budget.

I am sure this experience would be be well in the past once your vehicle is all fixed. You may consider showing it to another A.S.S as a second opinion may help. :thumbs up

Ajit...well you were at "srini's" thread for your problems. Nice to have a OWN THREAD!!

Well...I have had a indigo for 5 years (sold now), from the date of its launch. Spent time at the workshop during its regular maintenance schedules & may be at the workshop for miscellaneous problems 6 times in 5 years. This is a quite a long test of durability dude.

Now, With the new 2.2 VTT, I did visit the workshop for "miscellaneous" problems 3 times in a month, sorted out all the teething problems with escalations at TM & now I am recaming my life.....................it's fun driving.

My Safari has done 48K in 2 years and twice I had to get the clutch and pressure plates changed. My 2 cents is Safari is for snob value only, if u need to spend that money go for a good saloon. Safari is neither a great On road machine nor a good off road.

Seems like with Tata Vehicles, it seems to be a coin toss. If you are lucky you get a trouble free vehicle, but if you are unlucky you get a troublesome one !. Many buyers have had to take a new vehicle multiple times to the dealer to get stuff sorted out.

My experience with Tata is a 207 double cab pick up that I have since 1997. Done 160K kms. Did a minor engine job (rings only) at a little over 100K. Never had much major issues or break downs. Did have one major complaint with the clutch once.

I paid only 3.25 lakhs back in 1997, but I suppose when you shell out over 8 lakhs, you expect much more from Tata. Its' a shame that they still haven't got their act together regarding the quality control. The quality might explain why the Scorpio holds its value better in the Second hand market than the Safari.

I own my Safari for 20 months now and although I am very happy with the power and mileage that it gives, the build quality continues to haunt. I have driven it 22000 KM so far and have done several long drives of 700+ KM one way.

The front seats and backseat doors have been vibrating and making noise since last 12 months. I took it to two different local service stations (Concorde and Malik Motors) several times but did not get any resolution other than false assuarnces, repeat visits and apologetic smiles by the Customer Service Manager (CRM).

Writing emails to Tata Motors also was of no use as they directed me back to the same CRM who called me again for more visits as if I had to honour court summons. But alas, all those visits yielded no results and meanwhile I learnt to live with that noise. So now I am driving the car with the noise intact. I also made a resolve never to buy another Tata vehicle again!