Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:07   #151
BHPian

Hi Rishia,

Have you completed your 1st Service? Any Improvement on Mileage?

Regards!
Nithi.
Old 27th October 2008, 10:23   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
Hi Rishia,

Regards!
Nithi.
Nothing much is done in the first service except washing, the real improvement shows after 2nd service @10K kms
Old 27th October 2008, 13:57   #153
BHPian

No tangible improvements in FE after first servicing, although they seem to have reset the ECM (my FM channels were all reset so they seem to have removed the battery plugs and I was told by the service manager that they did some engine tuning). The only changes I have felt are that when earlier the gear change was apparent only at one point at about 70-80 km/hr (sudden surge in rpm) now it's sometimes apparent at lower speeds too and the brake problem I had although has gone, but the brakes somehow get a little hard after some driving.

The FE is just about 11 with 50% AC and as mishraak has already mentioned, the real improvement might come in the second service, thats what I'm told too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
Hi Rishia,

Regards!
Nithi.
Old 27th October 2008, 16:27   #154
BHPian

I test drove a i10 Sportz on Saturday at Trident Hyundai, bangalore. I found a very wierd thing in the i10.

The driver side A/C doesn't actually blow onto the driver, it actually blows onto the steering and the hand which is held there. If I move my hand from there, then I get the A/C effect only partially. This is when I opened the A/C vent near the centre console (driver side) and the one near the glass.

Please confirm if this is the case with all i10s or something which I was only for the test car. I did notice that the centre console was very wide which could have contirbuted to this.

I've never faced this in any car that I have driven till date.
Old 27th October 2008, 16:44   #155
BHPian

Can anybody tell me how to find the month and year of manufacture of i10 ? Im planning to buy one but the dealer is acting strange, refusing to reveal anything.

Full thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-new-post.html
Old 28th October 2008, 12:07   #156
BHPian

Yes, my left hand does get chilled while driving, but cooling is ok if you close that and let the AC work from the remaining 3 vents. Although I haven't felt that there is insufficient direct air blow on the drivers face. You're right, a wider vent for a smaller car probably causes this, but that should not change your decision not to go for this gem of a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
I test drove a i10 Sportz on Saturday at Trident Hyundai, bangalore. I found a very wierd thing in the i10.

The driver side A/C doesn't actually blow onto the driver, it actually blows onto the steering and the hand which is held there. If I move my hand from there, then I get the A/C effect only partially. This is when I opened the A/C vent near the centre console (driver side) and the one near the glass.

Please confirm if this is the case with all i10s or something which I was only for the test car. I did notice that the centre console was very wide which could have contirbuted to this.

Aditya, since you're going for kappa model, the car will definitely not be manufactured earlier than July end, so you should be good in that area. In my experience with Hyundai dealers, they seem to be ignorant of a number of small things, like in my case the delivery was delayed because the sales person wasn't able to give me convincing answers about warranty information of the car's music system. Directly talk to Hyudai people, they have all the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Can anybody tell me how to find the month and year of manufacture of i10 ? Im planning to buy one but the dealer is acting strange, refusing to reveal anything.

Full thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-new-post.html
Old 28th October 2008, 21:01   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishia View Post
I had although has gone, but the brakes somehow get a little hard after some driving.
That's your brakes cooking up. ATs use brakes more than MTs for obvious reasons. Isn't Hyundai offering upgraded brakes on the auto variants?
Old 29th October 2008, 12:11   #158
BHPian

^ I have no idea if the AT variant has upgraded breaks, but the brakes cooking up seems to be a big problem to me. Could you explain the problem a bit more as to how it occurs, coz initially for me the brakes are normal, but say after about an hour of driving, they harden up, but function almost normally. It would help me to explain the problem to the service manager, Thanks.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:07   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post

The problem does exists for rectangular vents in many cars, I drove my father's optra and it also throws air to the steering, you have adjust the blower to little less than extreme right you wont have a chilled left hand. If you are driving in city then it wont be a problem as you have to frequent your left hand to gear shift so ignore the issue, the engine is really a gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishia View Post
No tangible improvements in FE after first servicing, although they seem to have reset the ECM (my FM channels were all reset so they seem to have removed the battery plugs and I was told by the service manager that they did some engine tuning). The only changes I have felt are that when earlier the gear change was apparent only at one point at about 70-80 km/hr (sudden surge in rpm) now it's sometimes apparent at lower speeds too and the brake problem I had although has gone, but the brakes somehow get a little hard after some driving.

The FE is just about 11 with 50% AC and as mishraak has already mentioned, the real improvement might come in the second service, thats what I'm told too.
If you are eager to get better FE then insist on oil change. I did so in first service, I get FE ranging from 12.5(min) to 14 max in delhi with 50% AC.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:27   #160
BHPian

I see a lot of guys reporting less mileage in the i10 kappa.

But the company guys says that it gives more than i10 1.1 engine. Does the 1.1 engine give lesser than kappa or is it just promotional words?

Can an i10 owner give me a comparo vis-a-vis a swift?
Old 4th November 2008, 16:38   #161
BHPian

@krish3 -- We're mostly discussing i10 kappa automatic mileage over here, so they might appear a tad low vs. the Swift to you.

@mishraak -- My mileage at the first service was about 550 km thats why I didn't insist on an oil change and most likely by the time of second service it won't be more than 1200-1300 km which when I thought would be the right time (~ 1000 km) to change the oil.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:22   #162
mxx
BHPian

Like most people currently in the market for a small hatch, i have shortlisted i10.
One issue or rather a negative is that it is over-priced. I am specially more confused since the launch of AStar. So, I need fellow bhpians advice and opinions on the pricing.

Before I continue, I would like to tell you that I am just trying to discuss the pricing concerns so that I can take a informed decision than regret later. I am in no way speaking for or against i10.

What is the criteria for evaluating whether a car is over-priced?
In my view a car is over-priced if
1)priced much above its actual value
2)priced above its competition
Let us discuss above the above points
1) The actual value : I guess there is no easy way to get the actual value of a car from the manufacturer. But, what we can do is to compare the prices in other markets where it is sold, specially in western markets where there is more brands and hence more competition, which means it will be priced competitively, specially by brands like hyundai, which does not enjoy equal reputation as their jap counterparts. This is the pricing details from uk hyundai website. I am comparing top end kappa models Asta(sunroof/MT) in India and Style(MT) in uk.
Uk price (on road) : 8,245 GBP = Rs. 6.28 Lakhs (approx with current exchange rate)
India price (on road Bangalore): 6 Lakhs
Yes, there are difference in features. The indian version does not have 14"alloys, heated seats, front side airbags.
2) Comparison with respect to competition: Now this depends on what we consider as direct competition to i10.
Case 1(against estillo, wagonr, spark, AStar, indica Xeta): Now on first look i10 is definetely overpriced when compared to these. But on a closer look except AStar, all others are old wine in new bottle. These are old cars, still sold with minor facelifts. On the other hand i10 is a new car with new platform, so obviously it cant be sold cheap as the older ones. Most these cars are not as safe as i10 which has a 4/5 EuroNCAP rating. And not to forget a euro 5 engine. So, is it fair to compare i10 to these older models which are not in sale anymore in other markets with i10.
On the other hand AStar is new platform car, with euro 5 engine, and said to have confirm to european safety norms and is priced well against i10. The opinion is divided aginst if this car is pitted against i10 or not.
Case 2(Indica Vista, Swift):Now these are are new platform cars and bigger than i10 and looks more VFM than i10.
Again, opinion is divided against if i10 is pitted against these cars or below these cars.

So, what is the opinion of other bhpians here about this subject.
Am I missing anything, another angle which I havnt thought of.
Again is i10 over-priced?

Last edited by mxx : 26th November 2008 at 15:24.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:07   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Like most people currently in the market for a small hatch, i have shortlisted i10.
One issue or rather a negative is that it is over-priced. I am specially more confused since the launch of AStar. So, I need fellow bhpians advice and opinions on the pricing.

Before I continue, I would like to tell you that I am just trying to discuss the pricing concerns so that I can take a informed decision than regret later. I am in no way speaking for or against i10.

Let us discuss above the above points
1) The actual value : I guess there is no easy way to get the actual value of a car from the manufacturer. But, what we can do is to compare the prices in other markets where it is sold, specially in western markets where there is more brands and hence more competition, which means it will be priced competitively, specially by brands like hyundai, which does not enjoy equal reputation as their jap counterparts. This is the pricing details from uk hyundai website. I am comparing top end kappa models Asta(sunroof/MT) in India and Style(MT) in uk.
Uk price (on road) : 8,245 GBP = Rs. 6.28 Lakhs (approx with current exchange rate)
India price (on road Bangalore): 6 Lakhs
Yes, there are difference in features. The indian version does not have 14"alloys, heated seats, front side airbags.
2) Comparison with respect to competition: Now this depends on what we consider as direct competition to i10.
Case 1(against estillo, wagonr, spark, AStar, indica Xeta): Now on first look i10 is definetely overpriced when compared to these. But on a closer look except AStar, all others are old wine in new bottle. These are old cars, still sold with minor facelifts. On the other hand i10 is a new car with new platform, so obviously it cant be sold cheap as the older ones. Most these cars are not as safe as i10 which has a 4/5 EuroNCAP rating. And not to forget a euro 5 engine. So, is it fair to compare i10 to these older models which are not in sale anymore in other markets with i10.
On the other hand AStar is new platform car, with euro 5 engine, and said to have confirm to european safety norms and is priced well against i10. The opinion is divided aginst if this car is pitted against i10 or not.
Case 2(Indica Vista, Swift):Now these are are new platform cars and bigger than i10 and looks more VFM than i10.
Again, opinion is divided against if i10 is pitted against these cars or below these cars.

So, what is the opinion of other bhpians here about this subject.
Am I missing anything, another angle which I havnt thought of.
Again is i10 over-priced?
IMO, we should also consider the Taxes applicable in different contires for the same product.
Old 28th November 2008, 18:27   #164
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Over-pricing directly or otherwise, to me relates to VFM. So, it now comes down to the question - am I getting enough for the price I am paying? OK, I have got a car with music system, defoggers, fog lamps, remote locking etc. But the other car is 20K cheaper. Does that mean the cheaper is VFM? Here I would try to think what is it that makes it cheaper. If it's cheap quality material and cheaper build quality and finish, then well, both the cars are VFM, or may be the costlier is actually more VFM than the cheaper one. Things like quality cannot really be given a price, and this is where I guess a little of judgement will be required.
Old 28th November 2008, 21:44   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
Over-pricing directly or otherwise, to me relates to VFM. So, it now comes down to the question - am I getting enough for the price I am paying? OK, I have got a car with music system, defoggers, fog lamps, remote locking etc. But the other car is 20K cheaper. Does that mean the cheaper is VFM? Here I would try to think what is it that makes it cheaper. If it's cheap quality material and cheaper build quality and finish, then well, both the cars are VFM, or may be the costlier is actually more VFM than the cheaper one. Things like quality cannot really be given a price, and this is where I guess a little of judgement will be required.
Well said i10, there is a general conception (without judgment ofcourse) that either cheaper is VFM OR the costlier the better, which can be true sometimes but not always.

Most Viewed