Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 22:54   #61
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but why has the entire discussion focussed on the spark vs i10? what about its own stablemate the santro, and the competition like the zen estilo ?
The 1.1 i10 may be a competitor to the cars you mention and Hyundai still wants to retain the Santro in case some buyers find the i10 too expensive.

But this thread is about the Kappa i10. Its true competitor is the Swift and this is the car the Kappa i10 should be compared with. Maruti has to come up with improvements if it expects Swift to hold on to its market share against Kappa i10, which has super power to weight and torque to weight rarios, apart from other advantages.

Last edited by rks : 23rd July 2008 at 23:01.
Old 23rd July 2008, 23:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I agree. The Kappa i10 is a better product and in a different class from cars like Spark, Wagon R, Estilo, etc. But it is a Hyundai and this forum has voted Hyundai as the most hated car manufacturer.
I disagree here. We all hate/love/praise a car if it good in some way or other. And most of us do have 'one or the other hated' in their family and it would be in our family coz we know how good it is in one aspect or other and hence recommend or object.

Quote:
why is the spark being used as a yardstick for the i10? what about all the other cars in the segment ? do they not exist ? agreed DCEite might have zeroed in on these two, but why has the entire discussion focussed on the spark vs i10? what about its own stablemate the santro, and the competition like the zen estilo ?
Xeta/Estilo(not the pink one!)/WagonR?

Simple. i10 is new in may ways and we all know Hyundai beats Suzuki/Tata in built quality (and other stuffs) atleast in India. Hyundai for one donthave to sell a product saying 'hei buy this and just put petrol, rest we take care' which isnt true anyway. Is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The 1.1 i10 may be a competitor to the cars you mention and Hyundai still wants to retain the Santro in case some buyers find the i10 too expensive.

But this thread is about the Kappa i10. Its true competitor is the Swift and this is the car the Kappa i10 should be compared with. Maruti has to come up with improvements if it expects Swift to hold on to its market share against Kappa i10, which has a super power to weight and torque to weight rarios, apart from other advantages.
Disagree here too. i10 cannot be compared to Swift. But, the way Suzuki does job we may have to. Wake up Suzuki! Hope I dont see a Crdi i10!.
Old 23rd July 2008, 23:38   #63
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Disagree here too. i10 cannot be compared to Swift. But, the way Suzuki does job we may have to. Wake up Suzuki! Hope I dont see a Crdi i10!.
Why can't Kappa i10 be compared to Swift? If power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratios are superior in Kappa i10, logically it is a comparable car. Why should the prospective buyer go for Swift against Kappa i10? Before you say anything about high-speed handling, I do not believe that Swift is superior in this respect.
Old 24th July 2008, 00:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Elito,

I will still say that you are still dishing out motherhood statements without concrete data. While we all and everyone's pet dog know that i10 sells so much, and that Hyundai has a fantastic service network, I still don't see your premise of why I should pay 25% more for an i10? What is so rocket science that i10 is considered a league above other 1.1s? Please don't quote sales data or unsubstantiated statements. Data, not speeches please.

I will only agree with sridhar's logic. I think GM's marketing team needs to be fired - for failing their task, and then the flavor-of-month marketing schemes.

Here is a comparison of how pricing actually happens overseas:
Hyundai | New Cars | I10 - 6.7k for 1.1L
The Chevrolet Matiz. A practical, stylish city car - Chevrolet UK - 6.3k for 0.8L (less airbags, less equipment/power windows etyadi). What say now saab?

Sorry but that proves that the much vaunted quality argument falls flat on its face. IMNSHO Indians stung by the opel/matiz closures and GM offers are prefering a better "brand" with better service. The better vehicle bit is not enough to justify the additional price.
Old 24th July 2008, 01:45   #65
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Elito,

I will still say that you are still dishing out motherhood statements without concrete data. While we all and everyone's pet dog know that i10 sells so much, and that Hyundai has a fantastic service network, I still don't see your premise of why I should pay 25% more for an i10?
Why should anybody pay even more for a Swift?

Quote:
What is so rocket science that i10 is considered a league above other 1.1s? Please don't quote sales data or unsubstantiated statements. Data, not speeches please.
Look at the peformance of the Kappa i10 and compare it that of Swift. Then you will get your answer. Kappa i10 has a state-of-the-art engine, which, after all, is the heart of a car. In contrast, the Swift has an old Esteem engine. You get performance and fuel economy from the i10 engine, wihich makes it unique.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

The thread says I10 tested and ripped. I see the discussion veering to comparisions between Hyundai and GM, I10 v/s Spark v/s Swift. Its totally wierd how people are hijacking the thread topic just to argue a point.

Please guys, can we just stick to the topic. While genuine comparisions between the I10 and other cars in its segment is more than welcome, I really feel that some of you'll are going way OT.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why is the spark being used as a yardstick for the i10? what about all the other cars in the segment ? do they not exist ? agreed DCEite might have zeroed in on these two, but why has the entire discussion focussed on the spark vs i10?
Exactly. Why is the Spark suddenly a point of reference?
Old 24th July 2008, 09:27   #68
BHPian

totally agree with steer, let's have some more inputs on actual drives of the i10 with the new kappa engine.
Old 24th July 2008, 10:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11
Basically your premise is flawed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I agree. The Kappa i10 is a better product and in a different class from cars like Spark, Wagon R, Estilo, etc. But it is a Hyundai and this forum has voted Hyundai as the most hated car manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Elito,

I will still say that you are still dishing out motherhood statements without concrete data. While we all and everyone's pet dog know that i10 sells so much, and that Hyundai has a fantastic service network, I still don't see your premise of why I should pay 25% more for an i10? What is so rocket science that i10 is considered a league above other 1.1s? Please don't quote sales data or unsubstantiated statements. Data, not speeches please.
I will only agree with sridhar's logic. I think GM's marketing team needs to be fired - for failing their task, and then the flavor-of-month marketing schemes.
Elito/Rks, sorry, I was quite disappointed - some of the poorest logic/worst jingoism, I have heard in my life. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so let us leave it there.
Phamilyman, useful comparison you have given on the pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
why is the spark being used as a yardstick for the i10? what about all the other cars in the segment ? do they not exist ? agreed DCEite might have zeroed in on these two, but why has the entire discussion focussed on the spark vs i10?
It was just an example for a VFM discussion, I guess. But if we are to believe some people here, then i10 is in a league of it's own and should not be compared with any car in this world. I am an i10 owner - but even I find this difficult to digest.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
But if we are to believe some people here, then i10 is in a league of it's own and should not be compared with any car in this world. I am an i10 owner - but even I find this difficult to digest.
Sidharps

Your harping is taking too many liberties with facts. I NEVER stated or meant the above and I was very specific about what i said. You need to read my posts again. I was stating my opinion and without making any personal attacks.

Such a veiled attack is inappropriate and according to me 'misquoting someone in such a baseless/false manner' which could potentially cause friction should be grounds for infraction.

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 24th July 2008 at 11:03.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Sidharps

Your harping is taking too many liberties with facts. I NEVER stated or meant the above and I was very specific about what i said. You need to read my posts again. I was stating my opinion and without making any personal attacks.

Such a veiled attack is inappropriate and according to me 'misquoting someone in such a baseless/false manner' which could potentially cause friction should be grounds for infraction.

Elito
Elito, you are free to report my post, if that is what you felt. And I am happy to accept the moderator's verdict, whatever that may be.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:24   #72
BHPian

I guess it is important to remember that ONLY when we discuss about the better build/ back-seat space, refinement of say the Getz when compared to the Swift is it OK to say that "ultimately only sales data matters". This logic DOESN'T apply when we discuss an i10 versus a say a Spark.

totally agree with Lalvaz. Can we have unbiased feedback from people who have actually driven the kappa
Old 24th July 2008, 14:52   #73
BHPian

I called pune dealers, they confirm OTR for Astra AT is 6.20 lac. I think it's overpriced. There is no AT for TD. On the otherhand, I find this thread becoming nasty. No one really have done good TD, just one small review and we are just making noise based on papers. First we need to have few more TD reports posted and then we can continue. There is no point in firghting on which car is better as we have not done TD.
Old 24th July 2008, 16:18   #74
BHPian

This thread is completely off topic and irrelevant. Request moderator to close it and allow another detailed thread for i10 kappa initial test drive report, when anybody is ready for it.
Old 24th July 2008, 16:24   #75
BHPian

[quote=DCEite;909943]Now the most important part. The car gives about 1-2 kmpl less than the IRDE version. This is admitted by the salesman himself. I visited two showrooms and both said the same. Probably thats why there is a IRDE Magna for just 7-8k less than the Kappa Magna, for those who care for FE more than the power.
[quote]
Then why do they talk about all Alluminium light weight engine which gives more mileage and has more power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks