Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:51   #1
BHPian

From bhangra to ballroom

Given that my Padmini restoration was moving at a pace slower than our Banagalore metro, I had been feeling the need for a second car to supplement the Scorpio. Having tasted the space, torque and road presence of the scorp, I could not settle for anything timid.

Faced a lot of resistance from the High command for over 6 months. Finally it took an accident and a twisted ankle (not mine, but the better half's) for me to win the argument.

The hunt started with a lancer ad that I saw on craigslist. one test drive and I was completely turned off. Search narrowed to teambhp eternal favourites.

Palio 1.6, Baleno and the OHC vtec.

I was really keen on the Palio as this would mean a powerful , small car that was cheap to buy. I didnot care for mileage, as this would hardly see a few hundred kms a month. In spite of trawling all sort of public online listings and visiting at least a dozen used car dealers , I drew a blank. Nothing , nada.. Not even a crappy car.. After wasting a couple of weeks on the hunt for the elusive Palio 1.6, I upped my budget to about 4 lakhs to see if I could find an OHC vtec . Same result. there were a couple that I saw. Eithher they were abused, or were quoting ridiculous prices.

Then started looking for Balenos, saw a few, none that tugged at the heart.

This is when I see basilmabraham's thread on the Elantra and I had one of those "ohmagawd" moments.
One quick search on carwale turned up a bunch of 2004 crdis, two of them individual owned quoting under 6 lakhs.
Spoke to one , who turned out to be staying and working on the other end of town. Single owner, blue colour 59k on the odo.
Friday evening I get and SMS saying that he would be in my side of town on saturday first half and we set up a time to go see the car.

Me and my show up and we fall for her. Even my driver is smitten. "Saar sakkathagide thagolli" - translated - "Sir it is great, buy it"

Better sense prevails and the decision is postponed to the afternoon, coz the high command is yet to approve. Drive back home , all the while trying to talk to elantra owners on the forum. Alas all of them are in postparandial siesta. Once home me and my son are on a major convincing drive on the little lady. She agrees to come see the car and then decide. She sees it, gets driven in it (cant drive coz of the twisted ankle), likes it ( well in her case, if she is not criticizing it, she likes it.) and okays it.

Off she goes leaving me to haggle on the price. We do and agree to swap car and cheque the next day.

Sunday afternoon we do precisely that and the blue beauty is mine..

pics are phone cam , kindly adjust
Attached Thumbnails
From bhangra to ballroom-elantra.jpg  

From bhangra to ballroom-img00051.jpg  

From bhangra to ballroom-img00052.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd July 2008 at 19:04. Reason: Rotated the images for better viewing :)
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:59   #2
BHPian

Congrats ,
Real Big Jump !! the Word Is Cool , my friend car looks good blue beauty .
Whats the Price which you end up paying ???
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
The hunt started with a lancer ad that I saw on craigslist. one test drive and I was completely turned off. Search narrowed to teambhp eternal favourites.

Palio 1.6, Baleno and the OHC vtec.
Congrats Prabhu on your Elantra and surely its a nice choice and its looking neat and good for sure. Craigslist was something that i relied on in the Bayarea for speedy and informative listings on Garage sale and electronics, however am not sure here in Bangalore that works to the same degree and good that you discarded that lancer after your drive.

Once again congrats on the purchase .Have fun and drive safe on your new ride.
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:32   #4
BANNED

Congratulations on the purchase.
Enjaaai maadi saaar!

Now the garage is filled up with 3555!
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase Prabhu.So you too join the bangy Elantra owners club. So whens the car getting Pete'd ?
Old 22nd July 2008, 21:47   #6
BHPian

Congrats Buddy!
Elantra is one deadly horse,now its to wait and watch if you shift from the scorpio to elantra.
Good Buy and will keep you and thy family happy for a longtime.
Cheers
Old 23rd July 2008, 01:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Prabhu! Now what about new tyres & the tuning box man????
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow thats a nice buy dude , and whens the car gettin pete'd?

The only question to ask after someone buys an Elantra :-)

Happy motoring my friend!
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:22   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

The car insurance had expired over the weekend. Just got it renewed it yesterday.

Took it to Trident Hyundai today, primarily to check all the work that has been done on it so far.

Looks like the previous owner has been pretty prompt in getting all the work done. As a matter of fact even bulb replacements have happened at the dealer.
Found out that it has had its bumper and headlight replaced due to an accident. No tinwork was done indicating only a fender bender.

Have asked the 60k service to be done. I am changing oil and filters even if they are not due for another 5k kms. The estimate for the service is about 6k

The window beadings are shot. Replacing all 4. damn they are pricey @ 2k a piece.

Should get the car tomorrow or the day after.

Going straight to Hot tracks to get it Peted after that.

Tyres are 205 Bridgestone Potenzas with atleast 10k tread life left on them.
Will keem them till they die

Contemplating to move the HU , amp and sub over from the Scorp to this. Will happen next week.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vijay

I saw the car on the day he picked it up and damn she revvs beautifully. Just Pete It, and you have a road ripper to join the bully in your garage.

Now this is what I call a dream garage. 1 Scorp, 1 Peted Elantra, 1 Padmini with 118NE engine, 1 Carbed 1800 Isuzu and 1 1955 OHV engine.

Accompanied by an Enfield Bullet 500 and a Honda Hornet 900. Phew!

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd July 2008 at 14:24.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:29   #11
BHPian

Steer,

You are missing the Honda Activa and my son's Jeep wrangler EV
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:42   #12
BHPian

@ ishan tyrewalle, I saw that you had asked people to stay away from the Potenzas. Are they that bad that I need to replace ASAP?
Old 24th July 2008, 22:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man! So SGP meet cancelled! when is the petes meet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Congrats Vijay

Now this is what I call a dream garage.1955 OHV engine.
The HM OhV engine came out later, around 1959, the 1955 eng should have been a Side valve unit!!
Old 24th July 2008, 22:54   #14
BHPian

Pete's box landed at home today. Trident will give me the car after service tomorrow. Will put pete and flyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 25th July 2008, 00:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
@ ishan tyrewalle, I saw that you had asked people to stay away from the Potenzas. Are they that bad that I need to replace ASAP?
Well let me put it this way Vijay, they've seen better days & are past their prime. Which is a roundabout way of saying that there are better tyres in the market.

But no need to change immediately unless they were manufactured more than 5 years ago. Save the money for now & go in for a good replacement once they wear out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks