Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 00:35   #1
BHPian

Rust in 3 doors Under warranty in optra

Hi,
MY Optra of 2006 has developed rust in 3 doors under warranty. I took it to Vijai Motors and they promptly informed GM for replacing the doors under warranty. It has been more than 15 days since it has been reported. Meanwhile, in the initial days, I received calls twice from GM informing that this replacement is undergoing internal approvals. Now they are silent . Did anyone here underwent any similar experience ?

Thanks
Old 24th July 2008, 11:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In such cases, it does take a while to get company approval. However, do you really want to replace three doors? That will lead to a significant amount of stripping, body work and painting on a 2 year old car. If the rust formation is not substantial, I would rather get tin work / repair performed only on the affected parts. At the company's cost.

If the problem is severe, then its best to get the doors replaced. While you are at it, why not pay them a difference amount and get the entire car an overcoat of paint too? Will look fresh and there wont be a problem of colour mismatch.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@c_w, pls post some pics of the affected doors ?
Old 24th July 2008, 11:46   #4
BHPian

Thanks GTO,
The GM dealership recommended replacement of the doors. As the problem is on three doors, I suspect that there is a paint issue on all the doors. And I'm afraid that there will be problem on the fourth door as well. And even the rust may be spreading onto other areas as well in future. So replacing the doors look the best option to me.

I think I'll take the idea of asking them for a paint overcoat. One question. Will a Teflon coating ensure that I don't have rust formation on the surface in future ? I'm planning to get that done as well.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a similar situation in my NHC. The bottom corners of my doors are beginning to rust, the car is 4 years old.

I live on the sea front so this does play havoc in such situations, but i haven't seen any modern day car rust like this.
None of my other cars have this problem, I don't think other NHCs in my building are rusting either.

I called the dealership and they mentioned that body work warranty is only 2 years...so this would not be covered.
Frankly i think this is quite short, a car rusting in 4 years is just not done !

I am going to think twice before considering a Honda again.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th July 2008 at 11:56.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have a similar situation in my NHC. The bottom corners of my doors are beginning to rust, the car is 4 years old.

I live on the sea front so this does play havoc in such situations, but i haven't seen any modern day car rust like this.
None of my other cars have this problem, I don't think other NHCs in my building are rusting either.

I called the dealership and they mentioned that body work warranty is only 2 years...so this would not be covered.
Frankly i think this is quite short, a car rusting in 4 years is just not done !

I am going to think twice before considering a Honda again.
Thats bad. Guys any idea why this is happening?

I mean is a isolated problem or a NHC problem or a sea front problem?

ELito
Old 24th July 2008, 12:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In such cases, it does take a while to get company approval. However, do you really want to replace three doors? That will lead to a significant amount of stripping, body work and painting on a 2 year old car. If the rust formation is not substantial, I would rather get tin work / repair performed only on the affected parts. At the company's cost.

If the problem is severe, then its best to get the doors replaced. While you are at it, why not pay them a difference amount and get the entire car an overcoat of paint too? Will look fresh and there wont be a problem of colour mismatch.
a complete paint job would definitely look neat but wont it bring down the resale value of the car, consedering the finish, which is generally not at par with factory fresh paint.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

GM dealership is right here. Do not go for repair or even talk about it. Your car is under warranty and GM will oblige.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think this represents another instance of a reported problem with GM cars on this forum. It also represents another instance where GM has been silent, or delayed, or denied the claim. Search this forum. What is the credibility of `no other expense, or 3 yr/45000 (100000 km) warranty from such a manufacturer.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was by any chance the car flooded/immersed in water at any time Sahil?
Old 24th July 2008, 17:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
a complete paint job would definitely look neat but wont it bring down the resale value of the car, consedering the finish, which is generally not at par with factory fresh paint.
My 2 cents....

Agreed, but if he gets 3 doors painted and there is a colour mismatch then imagine his situation when he will be selling his car and it will automatically be termed as accidental (resale value gows down the drain big time). In case if he gets the complete paint job then he can still save some money on the resale.
Old 24th July 2008, 18:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Was by any chance the car flooded/immersed in water at any time Sahil?
Never...on any sign of flooding,its my Endeavour that comes to the rescue...all other cars are avoided.
Old 24th July 2008, 19:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I live on the sea front so this does play havoc in such situations.
Yup.
Salt water is the best way to get corrosion started.
Old 25th July 2008, 14:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Yup.
Salt water is the best way to get corrosion started.
So whats the best way to cure the problem?
Old 30th August 2008, 01:44   #15
BHPian

replacement approved.

After 2 months, GM has finally approved the replcement of three doors. They called me to inform about the same. I spoke to the dealership and thay say it takes 5 days, and they advised me not to go for a overcoat. They are saying that they'll match the colour. They are suggesting to go for a teflon coat. Will that be advisable ?

Most Viewed