Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 16:51   #1
BHPian

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet

Hello
Again here I am writing again after my Post on the Travelogue (waynad in Palio 1.1) well we all hear about safety features almost evryday on all the possible kinds of media, but have we ever thought if the Motoring Industry is living upto the perceprion of the people.

Sometimes reading about the features that certain cars have, can leave you feeling a bit bewildered.As technology gets better - the names of things get more long and complicated, and so end up being abbreviated into a couple of letters, or made into acronyms than mean absolutely nothing to anyone outside of the motoring industry but when when it comes to safety features say be it a Airbag or an Imapct Proof Bumper u will only Experience it and will know what the Industry is talkin about when you Experience it first hand. Like me

Has Anyone here thought how much Impact and Damage a small car can take well if you haven,t ..Read along.

Last October I took Delivery of My new Spark alongside my 1996 Zen which made my Garage look like a Candy Store .. with small two best models of each Decades.

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-n573053405_589413_1618.jpg

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-picture-055.jpg

I was quite happy with the Cars Performance say its Motorized Throttle Intake System which made it noiselesss,Powerfull. The best Part of teh car was the Torque,its 4.6 meters Turning Radius and its gas filled shocks which gave a comfortable Ride.I had Done 145 KMPH with 4 people in the car on the mysore bangalore Higway twice and the car looked Comfortable .
The 1 Litre Engine in the car pumped 63 Bhp with 5400 RPM which gave a beautifull torque to the whole engine.but Obviously you have the bad bits too ... The significant one's ae the rubbery gear shift, Filmsy Build and has a big Space Constraint.

I Fell Completly in Love with the car when I survived a crash the last month.. I dunno if I was lucky to survive the crash or if the Cars Impact Proof System Saved me, I Overshot a turn in COORG doing 100 KPH+ hit a Tree and Toppled.. It was a nightmare it was around 2 in the night and I was in middle of nowhere with a smashed car a broken Rib a Broken Collarbone and a face shredded because I hit my face to the Windshield.

I survivd the Crash But the car was a wreck , But the point was .. was I really lucky to get out of the car without much major Injuries or was it the long and complicated acronyms which saved me.... (food for thought)..

Pictures of the crash which was taken by my friend the next morning when they came to remove the car from the Accident site.

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-1.jpg

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-2.jpg

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-3.jpg

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-4.jpg

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-5.jpg

Well I am convinced with what I had bought ,Now my new Spark is to be Delivered on the 17 th of this month after a month long battle with the insurance Company. Till then I am Back Driving my old workhorse my ZEN which I would never sell it understanding the fact that When it comes to safety it's that not all cars are the same – new cars will generally have more safety features and be more resilient in a crash than earlier models.

My Zen

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-zen.jpg

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-waynad-077.jpg

Me in my Friend Vikas 's Place (thats Vikas's Land Rover).

My Spark.. was it a safer Bet-picture-001.jpg
Old 7th August 2008, 17:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oh my god. Its really nice to hear that you are safe. The car looks like had a great impact. Can you brief what was replaced/repaired inside the hood? 100kmph and right on the tree, so I think car has taken all the impact.
Wish to see your picture of the "new" sparky after its back from garage.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Bopanna19:thanks god you are safe,those pics of your car are really scary,i hope you recovered well and fit and fine again,wish you all the best,please avoid high speed during night driving its really dangerous,and congrats for getting the new car.

Ramie
Old 7th August 2008, 18:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Oh my god. Its really nice to hear that you are safe. The car looks like had a great impact. Can you brief what was replaced/repaired inside the hood? 100kmph and right on the tree, so I think car has taken all the impact.
Wish to see your picture of the "new" sparky after its back from garage.
It was a total losss , I am getting a New Spark but a higher end one
Old 7th August 2008, 18:11   #5
rippergeo

face hitting the windshield? were you not using the seatbelt?
I love the way newer cars take frontal impacts and maintain their passenger compartment integrity. things have changed since 10yrs ago. hooray for crash testing.

Old 7th August 2008, 18:13   #6
BHPian

Well it is really good to know that you are safe and that the Spark can really take a decent amount of impact. I really feel that airbags should be made a standard feature on all cars in India irrespective of which category the car is and not an "option", as the majority of the Indian market consider it more as a luxury than a safety feature which is a big misconception.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Bopanna, don't you think for the Coorg roads a SUV is better than the small cars b'cos of the roads which lead to the estates are all muddy and you get better accesibility.

Spark is not a safer bet - The Luck was on your side and you are here as a Newbie on this forum.

The small cars is not suggested for the Coorg roads and 100+ at the night around 2 is not a good way to drive in those ghat section roads of Coorg, but the luck was with you and you are able to post your incident here, would like to see your Spark after the repair.

The ride which you are standing next to would be a better ride at the accident spot and i think you would not have even a hitch with that Rover and first of all i think you would not even got into that situation...

Last edited by gowda79 : 7th August 2008 at 18:32.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Indeed the pics are scary. Thank goodness that you are safe and sound. And even I wanted to ask whether you were wearing seatbelts or not ?

OT: Talking about full frontal resistant cars, which are the safest cars in the <7-8L range ?
Old 7th August 2008, 18:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

man that is one good looking zen

Why not get your spark in red as well
Old 7th August 2008, 18:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Woah, that's quite a total loss. So I hope now you're taking the one with airbags.

But it seems you went down some sorta ditch types, as well?
Old 7th August 2008, 18:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Indeed the pics are scary. Thank goodness that you are safe and sound. And even I wanted to ask whether you were wearing seatbelts or not ?

OT: Talking about full frontal resistant cars, which are the safest cars in the <7-8L range ?
I wasnt wearing the Seat belts ... thats why I smashed my face to the windscreen
Old 7th August 2008, 18:52   #12
BHPian

Glad the new gen cars do have good crash impact! Thank GOD you came out safe!

By the way, how did you managed to come out of the car in the middle of the night with your broken bones!!

I managed to read ur post in the Travelogue section where you were happy cruising with Palio Stile 1.1 but got shocked when i read this!!

Drive Safe..Wear Seat Belts...always!!

Cheers~
Old 7th August 2008, 18:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Woah, that's quite a total loss. So I hope now you're taking the one with airbags.

But it seems you went down some sorta ditch types, as well?
the ones with the Airbags is really over my Budget... so I planned to settle down for one without it...
Old 7th August 2008, 18:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Glad the new gen cars do have good crash impact! Thank GOD you came out safe!

By the way, how did you managed to come out of the car in the middle of the night with your broken bones!!

I managed to read ur post in the Travelogue section where you were happy cruising with Palio Stile 1.1 but got shocked when i read this!!

Drive Safe..Wear Seat Belts...always!!

Cheers~
its was quite anexperience how i got out of the car... frankly speaking I still dont remember that
Old 7th August 2008, 18:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
man that is one good looking zen

Why not get your spark in red as well
Two Red cars... Ill be mistaken heheh

Most Viewed