Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 18:31   #151
Senior - BHPian

Some updates or i must i have quiet of them thanks to the lazy side in me which keeps taking over not been updating this thread at all

About 6monhs back i relocated to Mangalore and i have fair share of good and bad, yu will know as you go through the post..hehe

5mnths back battery died and it was kind of adventure to find 55din battery, though i was keen on getting Amaron but unfortunately they wee out of stock for more then a month! so had to settle for an exide.... now i got it for about 6500 but i learnt that in bangalore it would have costed less...bad1

Before i could relax, i learnt the battery aint charging well, her we have Mr alternator not doing his work properly, dint want to burn a bigger hole in my pocket so i took the pain of getting the alternator out and take it to the bosch dealer, though it was just the bearing which had gone i did shell out a bit more as "ideal electronics" are not authorized bosch dealers and the bosch dealers were closed that day for some reason...

Just when i thought am done with the issues, idler bearing started to cry yea engine while idling used to sound like a old diesel engine for a moment i thought am done but on inspecting i learnt that it was the idler bearing which had conked, now thi bearing was changed in RAC(koramangala)about a year plus back but it turned out to be a cheap stuff which dint last even 10k kms!

Also the spark plugs which i had got replaced at RAC was bad, car had started to behave badly and the advisor told lets change the plug but removing them was a painful job for them luckily they could without damaging...

Would like to advise all of you who think that getting the job done at a local garage will save your pocket, na na lots of times it can bite hard!

So got this bearing replaced at Automatrix, i must say till now i have been able to source all the parts at *** easily!

I was getting some noise from the suspension but luckily it was just one of the ball joints, got it done for 500bucks..

very latest issue whih is been bothering me is "radiator fan/motor", original set up at the *** costs abot 8k and i dint want to spend this much thought will get a way out, bt nah it wasnt that easy or i have not made t out yet..

i will write about this experience and the mechs whom i have delt with so far in my next post, so please hang on...
Old 18th June 2010, 20:17   #152
BHPian

Thanks for keeping this thread updated.

So ownership updates are all about garage visits? But I must say - you are one brave fella. Any other things happening with the car (and in your life) - any long trips, etc?
Old 18th June 2010, 21:49   #153
BHPian

@lohitrao, you didn't mention anything about 'fair share of good'

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2010 at 14:12. Reason: Strictly no SMS language please. Corrected
Old 18th June 2010, 22:36   #154
Senior - BHPian

Minardi, hehe yes i forgot. last 6months have done very less kms and thanks to th small town feel and also no travel related stress..

less kms means more money saved on fuel can use the ame on the maintenance

Ananth, you back in town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
@lohitrao, you didn't mention anything about 'fair share of good'

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2010 at 14:12. Reason: Correcting quoted post
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:59   #155
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Woah Lohith! So many issues cropping up in just 6 months? Must have been a good learning exercise. More the issues, more is your knowledge and awareness of the car. What say?

Any solution on the radiator fan/motor?
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:26   #156
Senior - BHPian

JVH, yea it was like all these issues were waiting for me to leave bangalore and then they can pounce on me Latest updates: Last Saturday i went to on a search mission to pump well, this is a small JC road and tried my luck in finding just the fan. the make is "vivieo" if am not wrong and finding just the fan was impossible, got some leads on getting the whole set which i was not keen in. also found some fans from denso which could fit but i was apprehensive about it, it costed just 170 bucks! The the metal sleeve which helps the fan motor sit tight has broken and unfortunately cant fix it at lathe, visited couple of lathe workshops but no luck.. finally when i was getting back saw couple of garages, dropeed in and bingo got to meet a mech who had worked in fiat long time back. he started to look around and was confident to find it soon. as of today he is trying to procure the fan from Bangalore, i guess have no other choice... will keep you guys posted.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:17   #157
Senior - BHPian

okokok i think am done with it!

hehe yes i guess so or i hope so

I guess i cant blame the car much as the radiator fan which conked off could have been easily replaced but at a cost about8k at the *** and might have taken few hours and my motto was to not to spend 8k

So looking at the Jayant's(JVH) thread i made up my mind tht i will take his way but i forgot that the guy who fixed the fan for his car is not around and i have to rely on someone else.

now this payed the key role, the guy whom i depended on just wanted to complete the job but not ensure that its right!

This half done job lead to bad noise when the fan was on and this was due to the sleeve on the fan had broken and our man had not even bothered to check it:( i knew this from begining that he has not done the job well so dint use the car much but with little use the noise increased along with the bad vibration which made me take the job to my hands...

About 3weeks back i went to him and asked to remove the fan and i saw the issue, though i know the sleeve was the culprit finding a replacement fn turned out to be a huge adventure....

Started with me going to "pumpwell" this is like a small JC road where you get the automobile related parts, i was very positive that i could close this issue the same day but i dint know what was in store for me...

I took a rick and asked him to stay with me and get back me to the garage, Mangalore ricksha guys are very nice compared to their bangalore colleagues...

loafed around handful of shops showing them the fan and most of them are not looking promising, now in this whole bunch came across "priemier auto" Antony who owns this place was very friendly and helpful. liked the way he used the technology or he did te best use of it, making calls from diffren mobiles/landlines made me wonder how many phones odes he have? comin back to the point he was not able to find the fan but offered a fan from Denso which was slightly smaller compared to the orginal...
the challenge with this fan was we had to make the sleeve for it so theat the motor pin sits tight. so i took a chance and went to couple of mechs near by but as expected i got a cold response from them and also tried with couple of lathe guys and the the response was no different...

it was already 3+hours and i was drained, remeber the auto guuy was still hanging arund patiently and was watching all this drama closely,i went to him and told seems like its not my day as we head back with no results he suggested a fait mech who might be able to help. since his workshop was on the way i thought will drop in...
my back up plan was to send the fan unit to vankatesh(bangalore) but was trying to get it fixed here....

we drop by the mechs place and it looked promising...

Will this mech will be able to fix the fan problem or not lets see tomorrow now am damn sleepy hehehehe
Old 11th July 2010, 01:35   #158
BHPian

now this is not fair play .you might be sleepy but you cant leave us hanging around without completing your story.
this should have a fine .now where are the mods when you need them lol
Old 24th July 2010, 20:14   #159
Senior - BHPian

Sorry folks for not updating....

After many twists and turns i finally managed to get out of the mess but i dint get away that easily it was a tough test for sure...

Why i still love this baby?

@ 130kmph this baby is rock solid , after pushing hard and slow speed on bad stretch, bad traffic jam this car still managed to give me 14+

Ok now let me continue the story

So now am back on my way to home while my mind is calculating my next action, my last resort was to send the fan assembly to bangalore but since i dint want to risk damaging the assembly had decided to do it if i run out of choice...

as we head back i started to converse with the rick driver and he was giving some suggestions, as we spoke suddenly a thought shot and i remembered the "premier auto" spares guy suggesting about a mech who used to deal with fiats and apparently his workshop was n our way, i asked the rick gut to show me that place and i dint take much long for us to reach there...

From outside the lace looked shabby but i decided to try my luck, as i asked for him a lean guy who was working under a car peeped out, it was pretty funny but for mefn was all it mattered.

as he saw the assembly he could recognize the fan and said he could arrange the fan by monday. looking at his confidence i kind of felt that i have fund the solution...

but tht was not all,my problem dint want to end so fast.

Mnday comes and i get a call early in the morning and he says he will get to know by eod and mostly might get the parcel the sameday. so i start waiting and eod i give a call to him and he tells that will get next day now like this we waste couple of days and now I started to lose my patience... nw i had to go back to this guy as he had my old fan.
He was trying to source the fan from someone who were working at the old fiat dealership and when I connected with these guys I came to know that the chances are very slim of getting.
Now am back to the same pace where I was a week+ back and it was nothing less to frustrating and at this point I started to think if this car was a pain then a pleasure but wait a minute its not that the original set up is not available it was just tht I was trying to save some money …

Now I asked these guys to st
op the search and get the fan bak, they had sent the fan to Bangalore to someone and that wise guy had taken his sweet time with n results, now I amost had made up my mind to buy the original assembly, I know spending 8k this would have been a BIG joke but finally there was some light..

to be continued.....
Old 9th August 2010, 08:53   #160
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I know where this is all headed...

Had a chat with Venkatesh you know
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Sorry folks for long break the story continues...

I was too frustrated and it almost seemed that i commited a blunder, never had dreamt tht sourcing a fan would be such a painful task...

Asked those guys to get the fan back and called Nagaraj(Bangalor) who had told he can source the entire set(fan+motor) thought this was better then going for orginal which was 8+k..nowcomes the twist i asked Nagarj to go ahead and he confirmed that its "Valeo" itself (this is the original fan), he told he will get back with the exact price and will try to send it that evening itself...

Now wait starts, it seemed like the wheels of the time has got punctured after an hour i called him and he assured he will send it to day evening but no confirmation on the price, i got busy with the work and at around 9pm tried calling to make sure if he has sent it but nope he is not picking, after couple of tries i gave up and thought of contacting him next day..

next morning when i called he dint pick the call again, tired many times to get no response. i had thought that he might have sent in by some bus and i will have to go to their office to collect it. around 1ish i was able to reach him and he said that the cost was about 7+k so he dint send it..

now wait a minute, he could have informed me that!!!! during this episode have noticed that all the mechs whom i delt with failed me in some way..

frustration had touched the sky and i was cursing myself but their is a say dont loose patience and for somer reason felt like i had it in abundance...

i decided to take the fan to a lathe shop and see if they can fix it, surprisingly the first shop i went to told me that its possible and kept the fan. since itwas a weekend he told he will give it on Monday...here goes my couple of days but i was pretty relaxed now ..

COme next week i give the owner of the shop a call to ensure everything is in place, he says no power so there is a delay of a day ok, the next day when i call he says the guy who was supposed to do this job is on leave...nasked him if he is sure that he can do this job and there comes out his apprehensions blah blah ... i said never mind i will pick the fan in a while...

Now it was almost certain that i have to go for a entire setup frm Fiat which would cost me 8+ k but all of a sudden i could see a small flash of light, of-course in my mind.. i remembered Jayant(JVH) mentioning that if needed i can put some butter to Venkatesh and try to convince him to send the fan..

So here i go, call Venkatesh and i was almost on my knees...again on phone and the confident sounding Venki assured me that he will do something...
Venki was always apprehensive about gtting this job done by someone who might not be good to handle such jobs and for some extent he was right too. but here i had no choice..

Kept on calling him till he tld he will be sending it that night, around 10 i get a call from him asking about where i can pick it, he was giving it to the Durgambha bus driver who will be reaching Bangalore around 5ish.

Next morning get a call from the driver that he is 10mins away from the pick up point we had decided the previous night...i peep outside and for my luck no rain..
hop on the bike and shot off, as i reached he just handed out and gave a big smile and asked if its ok... with half woken up brains which was taken over by excitement i could just smile back..

Came back home and tried to fix the fan on the motor and it got in perfectly! bingo!

to be continued...

Last edited by lohithrao : 22nd August 2010 at 19:45.
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:37   #162
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Hey sorry Lohith! Was not too well last few days and hence couldn't pick your call.

I hope there are no more twists and turns :-). From your posts and from my own and others experiences, its quite safe to assume that one is taking a risk if one is dealing with anyone other than a competent mech with regards to the 178 platform FIAT cars. Personally, it has been a learning experience although sometimes unpleasant, and your recent experiences also prove that :-)

So, you haven't finished yet....wonder what's more in store
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:04   #163
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jayant no issues man, i understand.

Yup i think its always better to go to the mech who knows about the make/model well else your vehicle will be on experiment mode. remember of an instance the guy who worked first on the fan/motor is originally a Mitsubishi mech and all i could hear from him was the praises for the lancers and nothing good about the fiats...

Continuing the story..

On the weekend to the fan assembly to the garage where my car was parked forover 2 weeks, luckily these guys had ample amount of space to park the cars..

So main guy asked one of juniors to fix the fan and this time i had made sure i shll keep a close eye and not let them do any blunder, on seing the body language i could sense that this guy is not sure. so i asked him promptly to step back and if he screwed up with the fan then he will have to go to bangalore and fetch another. so the main guy comes back and i ensure he fixes the fan to my satisfaction.

Now testing time and i was really tensed as i dint have any more patience to handel any complications, started the car and the car felt too rough while i inspeacted i saw the injector light glowing and i just went blank....

Fan was working fine, paid them and thought will take a short drive but as i started i could fel the power was too low and i could make out its because of the inj light. now i take the car from 1 mech to another i go to TASS and asked them to check with thier analyser and theSA was prompt in arranging for it and within15mins we could find the issue..

it was due to "power sensor" now what exactly was wrong that they had o inspect, he said he will call me in some time but to check with analyser they charge 300buks...anyhow i dint complain went homw but with a sign of relief as i had just made it out of the fan storm hehehe

After cuple of hours SA calls m and tells that it was jut that the power sensors wire was cut thanks to a rat....ahh now that just gave lot of relief as anything to with sensor might be too costly..

evening i got the car and very surprisingly i felt the car is feels more powerful i thought i was just my felings but the SA confirmed the same and i was pretty please.

the car felt much more responsive, as if it has shredded of some weight heheh

I could make out the difference on my trip to Bangalre which i made after a week. the ca easily touhed 130+ and it dint take much time to reach this mark but previously it was not like this...

Bangalore trip this time was fun, the car dint complain on the winding roads nor on the plains, skoda and the likes int feel fast at all..

As i was loving the trip comes another shocker...

Somwhere after uppinagadi which is 30+kms from Mangalore i just realise something!

to b continued...hehe
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:02   #164
Senior - BHPian

oh! you seem to have bought quite a lot of adventure with your Fiat.
Old 24th August 2010, 01:25   #165
BHPian

lohith are you a script writer for balaji telefilms

Most Viewed