Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:26   #1
BHPian

Booked VW Polo Diesel

Last week, I have booked a fullyloaded VW polo Diesel. The waiting period told to me is few weeks to 3 months, as the car is coming through company lease route.

So this year this is my second new car, got myself a white ford fiesta ZXi diesel in India. which has done 6000kms till date.

But the good thing is I already got a alternate VW polo with same specs, till I get my vehicle. This courtesy car is also almost new (8000kms on odo).

pros:
nice clean interior & exterior finish.
veryusefull cubby holes & knickknacks utilities typical VW.
decent power & pickup.
feels stable, have tried till 180kmph (it refuses to cross 180 mark)

cons:
engine sounds as loud as my indica back home.

navigation system works only with map CD inside, and there is only one slot for CD, means I cannot use Music CD as long as i am using navi.(may be there is way out, i may be silly).

2 times it sounded false headlight-on alarm, when actually it was off(might be silly software/electronic error).

Good thing about the deal: All services included with material & labour free.insurance & tax included.Happiest part fuel is also included.

Bad thing about deal: I have a limit of 30,000kms per year,as long as it not transfered to my name.
Old 5th September 2008, 00:48   #2
BHPian

Here Are the pics

Some Exterior Pics of POLO
Attached Thumbnails
Booked VW Polo Diesel-7.jpg  

Booked VW Polo Diesel-8.jpg  

Booked VW Polo Diesel-4.jpg  

Booked VW Polo Diesel-5.jpg  

Old 5th September 2008, 01:15   #3
BHPian

nice car there arun, i believe that VW polo shares the same platform as our octavia. must be some experience to drive it on the Autobahn
Old 5th September 2008, 07:42   #4
BHPian

Hey there, Firstly, congrats!!! a wise choice indeed. We reckon this is a better choice when compared to the 207 and C4 and even Punto (all diesel variants) strictly while considering the "value for money" factor. We were only disappointed with the 5-speed manual gear box. Rest was frankly good!!! Once again, congrats on your new purchase!!!
Old 5th September 2008, 09:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

they could have given similar headlights to the jetta in india
Old 5th September 2008, 10:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Arun. That's a nice car. How much is copmany paying for this (lease) ?
Old 5th September 2008, 16:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster View Post
nice car there arun, i believe that VW polo shares the same platform as our octavia. must be some experience to drive it on the Autobahn
Thanks, I am not sure if polo shares platform with octavia, i guess its golf & octavia who shares same platform.So far have driven for short streches on autobahn, but today i planned a long drive 600-800 kms for the weekend.So i will strech her today to the max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosreview View Post
Hey there, Firstly, congrats!!! a wise choice indeed. We reckon this is a better choice when compared to the 207 and C4 and even Punto (all diesel variants) strictly while considering the "value for money" factor. We were only disappointed with the 5-speed manual gear box. Rest was frankly good!!! Once again, congrats on your new purchase!!!
Yes it is a wise choice, i have had 207 & punto in past, punto i returned after 3 days & exchanged it with a golf 5. dont know about c4 performance. It is indeed lot better then 207 & punto.

Why were you disappointed with gearbox, its nice & slot perfectly everytime with adequate balance between torque delievery & economy. I am getting 20km per litre in mixed driving conditions.

The only silly thing is built in navigator system, it works only when map cd is inside, so icant listen to music Cd's if using navi.
Old 5th September 2008, 16:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Congrats Arun. That's a nice car. How much is copmany paying for this (lease) ?
Company bought the car in their name & I pay an X amount everymonth, which includes Insurance, tax, service & fuel. It was a steal deal.
Old 5th September 2008, 16:44   #9
BHPian

Few Pics of Interiors

And the engine bay...
Attached Thumbnails
Booked VW Polo Diesel-3.jpg  

Booked VW Polo Diesel-2.jpg  

Booked VW Polo Diesel-9.jpg  

Booked VW Polo Diesel-6.jpg  

Old 6th September 2008, 10:16   #10
BHPian

Congrats for your car and for your booking!! That's a nice looking car. Enjoy your ride and drive safe.
Old 6th September 2008, 15:06   #11
BHPian

Hey there, it is the long shift in the gear we disliked. But, that is strictly not a strong reason to choose another car over this. The gearbox is amazing. Tickle the clutch on third from standstill and the car will proceed. Yes, we agree it is that amazing.
Old 16th December 2008, 20:30   #12
BHPian

Polo story so far

Well my polo has done good so far. Clocked 15K+ on odo in nearly 4 months.My office commute is only 20kms per day, but being an avid driver took her for several longtrips.

The car so far have behaved perfectly except on one occasion giving a minor trouble due to some nasty animal.

The bad part first.

One fine morning woke up late, was in hurry to reach office. Put in key & twist, the car started perfectly. passed through urban lanes smoothly doing 40 -50 kmph. Out in open strecth in country side, pushed on gas, oops the car refused to buzz. downshifted & again pushed hard, no acceleration. Then comes on orange malfunction light. the car maintained constant 60 kmph. Then flashed a warningtext in red "drive to next VW station".

Worried and pulled over at next available opportunity, called VW service, they listened patiently about warning text in red. Suggested me to drive on without worry, as power loss is to prevent engine damage & in case of malfunction the speed is limited by an in built software.

Relieved & reached at VW service station, i was attended swiftly, upon inspection it was found that a animal has chewed a vaccum hose of engine system. This animal is nasty & loves to chew rubber parts in cars.

Anyway the hose was replaced in 5 minutes, free of cost, fantastic VW service.

remedies told against nasty rubber chewing animal:
1. install an electronic pest repellant = expensive.
2. Install an underbody guard mesh = expensive+have to leave the car.
3.Most funny: Pee on engine, I laughed, but VW guy was serious, he said it works with a serious look. Asked with collegues they too agreed that it works.

My solution, i rented a garage for parking & so far my car is safe from animals.

So the drive:

Took her many times too Munich & around during weekend. Top speed is 180kmph, easily achievable, but car refuses to cross 180kmph mark.

have done fantastically on autobahns, returning avaerage of 17-18 Kmph for speeds between 120kmph to 180kmph, depending upon speed limit zones & traffic.

Longest drive I have done is around 1500kms last weekend, from stuttgart to hamburg& around + coming back.

Con with high speed ability is being small, car gets little drifted with slip streams of trucks & cross winds on bridges. So have to extra carefull on those speeds. In comparison the golf 5 I ahd in 2004, was stable against cross winds.

So far satisfied & happy with polo.

But time has come to part from it, as I have decided to move to India, so would be cancelling lease contract next week. looking forward to be at home.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:11   #13
BANNED

i love this small car . it is very common and seen everywhere in europe.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

i think in a recent TOP GEAR episode, this car was taken on a long drive from BASEL to LONDON. and i think it returned 80+mpg FE. now how much would that me in kmpl ?
Old 16th December 2008, 21:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i think in a recent TOP GEAR episode, this car was taken on a long drive from BASEL to LONDON. and i think it returned 80+mpg FE. now how much would that me in kmpl ?
1 mile = 1.6 kms, so 80 miles = 128 kms
1 gallon = 3.8 ltrs appx

so 128/3.8 = 33.6 kmpl thats fabulous, but on pratical driving it returns 17-18 kmpl including stretching her to full throttle for extended periods. A little carefull driving returns around 20kmpl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks