Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 20:14   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
Is yours a vdi or a vxi variant.i think Vdi has JK and Vxi has MRF.I am running on JK.I Think you should go for a tyre change if highway travel is more.
yesterday i had taken the car on highway,and felt that the car is not that stable after 120km/hr.however between 80-100 km/hr it is ok
Mine is a VDi and I checked the tires when the car was in the yard. The tires are MRF. I was expecting JK as most of you have repored JK but the shoes on my car was MRF.
Hope they dont change it to JK by the time the car gets delivered
Old 12th November 2008, 04:13   #62
TOR
BHPian

Quite unlikely that they do that(change to JK)-nevertheless an upgrade to wider tyre's are necessary ie from 165 to atleast 185 section.

There is some confusion regarding 195 section tyres being mounted on the standard 5J rims-tyre walla saying that it can be done(obviously-business!) and 'gurus' saying it can be done but should not be.

I do touch 140kmph regularly and the XM1+ are a revelation.
Old 12th November 2008, 10:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Quite unlikely that they do that(change to JK)-nevertheless an upgrade to wider tyre's are necessary ie from 165 to atleast 185 section.
----
I do touch 140kmph regularly and the XM1+ are a revelation.
Thanks TOR, this was the last push that I needed to go for the change. I am positively changing to XM1+ on delivery
Old 12th November 2008, 23:45   #64
TOR
BHPian

and when is the proposed delivery?

also what color and what variant?
Old 13th November 2008, 10:37   #65
BHPian

Quote:
and when is the proposed delivery?

also what color and what variant?
Color: Midnight Blue
Car: Dzire VDi
Car would be ready by Saturday by wife/mom are stating that the best day to pick the car up is the coming Wednesday, hence will have to wait till next Wednesday :-(
Old 7th March 2009, 15:35   #66
TOR
BHPian

6months, 6000kms, post 2nd service update.

The odo reads a bit over 6K kilometers and it has been 6 months since delivery. The car was not used for a month in between as i was out of station.

Here is a round up of how things are now:

Engine and drive train:- The diesel clatter has settled a bit now, there was an annoying flat spot between 1500-2000 rpm(no not the turbo lag), which was traced to a dirty accelerator sensor. The 'kick' perse has become linear( not decreased as i have done some timed acceleration runs-just to make sure). The gearbox has loosened up quite a bit and now feels like a well oiled rifle bolt. No issues with engaging reverse gear as some of the other swift users have experience.

Built: Flimsy-especially for the inside plastics. Rattles have not been a big issue till now(maybe because i am running on softer sidewall tyres and on better roads). The boot makes a 'tinny' sound while being closed(also contributed by the number plate vibration). The doors feel reasonably well made. The switch gear are all holding up well. Glove box is quite useless and poorly designed.

FE: Excellent- consistently 17kmpl plus in the city and 21kmpl plus on the highway both with 100% AC. Using IOC(COCO) normal diesel. The fuel gauge is very non linear. The halfway mark actually corresponds to 1/4 tank and the 'E' mark still has 10-12 liters below the same.

Faults: None till now. Had a small 'sqeeking' sound from the steering boss rubbing against the column covering, which was rectified at service.

Tyres-XM1+ - had a single puncture-overall are very good. The noise levels are also one of the best i have come across. Thread wear is also minimal if any. Gripe could have been better though(compared to PP/yoko's). Running with 37PSI all around. After acquiring a digital tyre gauge finding most of the tyre gauges at tyre shops/petrol stations to be inaccurate!

Servicing: Both free services done at the main dealer-experience has been satiafatory. Follow up is good, because of the large volume of vehicle attention to detail is poor. Have gone for Oil and filter changes at both 1K and 5K services, and i feel has done good. The oil drain lug nut was replaced after each drain-dont know if the same is routine procedure.

Notes/observations:The circular vents are poor in directing air compared to the central vents.
The rear seats(especially the backrest angle) for two are quite comfortable(personally observation,myself-5feet 11inches, 101kg frame) unlike what has been reported in case of all swift/dzire reviews, more so in the dzire because of the larger windows making it a little less claustrophobic.
The music system has never skipped on CD's but the FM reception seems quite poor. The antenna also looks like a poor quality item.
Power steering does not respond well to quite direction changes at low speeds.
Brakes could do with more feel and bite, guess the rotors and pads are not updated to account for the uprated/heavier diesel engine!
Old 7th March 2009, 15:36   #67
Team-BHP Support

37 PSI all around ? Is it the recommended pressure ?
Old 7th March 2009, 16:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Excellent- consistently 17kmpl plus in the city and 21kmpl plus on the highway both with 100% AC. Using IOC(COCO) normal diesel. The fuel gauge is very non linear.
Excellent mileage. Most analogue guages are non linear!

Quote:
The oil drain lug nut was replaced after each drain-dont know if the same is routine procedure.
Do they change the nut or just the washer for the nut?

Quote:
The rear seats(especially the backrest angle) for two are quite comfortable(personally observation,myself-5feet 11inches, 101kg frame)
OK. The back rest angle is upposed to be different than in Swift. What about the leg space if you sit behind the driver's seat adjusted correctly for comfort when you drive?

I have the same doubt as Eddy!
Old 7th March 2009, 17:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

TOR,congrats on your perfect buy, dzire is truely a VFM with vdi/zdi models to choose from, and what a superb picturrial review you shared which shows and expresses the exact words you want to say, drive safe and keep updating.Any plans to get alloys??
Old 8th March 2009, 06:29   #70
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
37 PSI all around ? Is it the recommended pressure ?
Recommended is 36-37 for the front and 32-34 for the back. The reason for the increased pressures is but due to a personal choice and a personal logic-that filling the correct pressure will leave the tyre under inflated soon after(due to the customary leak), so filling a bit higher will enable to run the tyres at recommended levels over an extend period of time-This logic might be flawed-do give your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Excellent mileage. Most analogue guages are non linear!

Do they change the nut or just the washer for the nut?

OK. The back rest angle is supposed to be different than in Swift. What about the leg space if you sit behind the driver's seat adjusted correctly for comfort when you drive?

I have the same doubt as Eddy!
Its a given that gauges are non-linear-but first time coming across a car which is so inaccurate(or is this a one off problem with the car!)

My bill had a quote of change of nut and not the washer(maybe because the same is magnetic?!)

Quite true the back rest angle is different(better) but the biggest difference i feel is the welcome change to the ergonomics to the people sitting at the sides could be due to change in the trim of the rear door which is different from the swift.

Never sat behind with the front seats set to my comfort, the two occasions that i experienced rear seat travel, the driver was 'less endowed(if i may) than i was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
TOR,congrats on your perfect buy, dzire is truely a VFM with vdi/zdi models to choose from, and what a superb picturrial review you shared which shows and expresses the exact words you want to say, drive safe and keep updating.Any plans to get alloys??
Thank you for the compliments. The Dzire is surely a 'heart car'-i feel this is the one car that has caused maximum 'heartache' among Indian car buyers! What is expressed in the past pages is more an emotive expression rather than a monotonous narrative.

Alloys are next on list-cant get to like most of the designs that are on sale now-so will wait.
Old 8th March 2009, 12:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

TOR, I have read all 6 pages of this thread and loved your style of writing and frank comments. I esp liked the conversation with the tyre wallah
just for my info.. you changed only 4 tyres to XM1s? what if you have a flat? I imagine your total bill for the car (accessories incl) would be about 5.8?
Old 9th March 2009, 00:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Running with 37PSI all around. After acquiring a digital tyre gauge finding most of the tyre gauges at tyre shops/petrol stations to be inaccurate!

37 psi? Maruti recommends 32 for front and 29 for rear in ZDi. Why do you maintain 37? I have just changed to Michelin XM1+ and I maintain 33 and 30.
Old 9th March 2009, 07:27   #73
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
TOR, I have read all 6 pages of this thread and loved your style of writing and frank comments. I esp liked the conversation with the tyre wallah
just for my info.. you changed only 4 tyres to XM1s? what if you have a flat? I imagine your total bill for the car (accessories incl) would be about 5.8?
Thank you for the kind words of appreciation. The XM1+ tyres are tubeless so a puncture will not lead to a complete loss of air like in the tubed tyres. In fact its quite difficult to make out a puncture as the loss of air is quite slow. At most instances the puncture would be detected at air refill(this was how i came to know about the single puncture that i had till now).

The onroad price of the car was 6.6 lacs and accessories came up to about 20k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
37 psi? Maruti recommends 32 for front and 29 for rear in ZDi. Why do you maintain 37? I have just changed to Michelin XM1+ and I maintain 33 and 30.
As mentioned before i am trying my hand at a bit of 'hyper milling'-hence the higher pressures. Its safe to fill air till about 90% of the 'max load rating' printed on the sidewall of each and every tyre. For the XM1+ if i remember correctly its near the 40PSI mark.(this is the cold tyre rating)

Another observation was that normal air leak will result in the car running at below recommended pressures till the next air check.(if the tyres were inflated to the 'recommended levels')
Old 9th March 2009, 12:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some observations:
- the gear throw is very short but some gears are notchy -2nd to 3rd/4th-3rd..not always but i guess will smoothen out(maybe my driving style).
Quote:
Engine and drive train:- The gearbox has loosened up quite a bit and now feels like a well oiled rifle bolt. No issues with engaging reverse gear as some of the other swift users have experience.
hi tor,
good report.
yesterday, i drove my friend's dezire for @300km on all types of road. its 4 month old car with just 6000km on odo.
i felt gear shift is really notchy.
as you mentioned in 6 month report, gearbox has loosened. i wonder after same running of 6000km on my friend's car, it is still very notchy.
have you done anything extra to loosen the gears?
Old 10th March 2009, 11:51   #75
TOR
BHPian

@Ashish

Have done nothing extra to 'smoothen' up the gear box, guess the experience was because of driving your friends car-maybe the your friend would be finding the gearbox loosened up.

So in effect it would be do to the driver as well as the car getting 'used to each other'!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks