Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

The New Tata Indica Vista Thread

Tata have made a fool of themselves in this comparison.
The New Tata Indica Vista Thread-vista.jpg
Atleast when they are telling that other cars have ABS and Airbags while they don't .

Looks like Swift is their main competitor. Swift has VDi with ABS and ZXi as fully loaded. They have not mentioned this in the above image. I'm sure Maruti will take this up.
Old 24th August 2008, 00:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

30 minute test drive of Indica Vista quadrajet "aura"in DELHI- detailed impressions:

OK guys, here's what you have been waiting for- a full detailed initial review of the indica vista quadrajet aura, priced at Rs. 4.88 lakh, ex-showroom Delhi. (sincere thanks to Him motors, east Delhi for providing me with a demo car to test drive it)

what you get over swift vdi for Rs. 80, 000 approx less:

rear defogger/wash wipe
integrated 2 din stereo with 6 speakers, USB port and remote
huge length, width, wheelbase
parcel tray
driver seat height adjuster
tilt steering
5-speed variable intermittent front wiper
beige interiors etc..

what you don't
ABS

but the big question is, still you want that swift? (PS, swift diesel owners, do not take this personally, these are just my view points and opinions may differ from person to person.)

looks and styling:

subjective, pretty big and that front end is simply imposing in flesh. you have to see it to believe it. erest, all indica trademarks like bison tail lights and similar evolutionary look remain. this car simply deserves 15 inchers to look aggressive.

fit and finish:

quantam leap. considering the standards of tata motors, they have shown a huge improvement in this. barring a very few miniscule shoddy plastics around the steering wheel, the fit and finish was even better than safari VX and indigo XL. All panel gaps were, thankfully even.

interior:

simply huge. more width than a getz from inside. highly comfortable front seats with dual adjustable head restraints ront and adjustable head restraints from rear with 60/40 split rear seat.

boot space:

disappointing. was expecting more bu just only marginally btter than old indica

head, legroom and shoulder room:

NO OTHER CAR i this price tag can fit 5 FAT adults comfortable as this new vista, not even getz and palio and u-va, leave alone swift which feels terribly cramped.

seat comfort:

lumber support for BOTH DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER makes it extremely comfortable and no other small car provides this feature.

a combination of heigh adjustible steering wheel and hiegt adjustment for driver's seat makes it perfect to find the driving position.

rear seats offer the best-in class comfort, even better than the getz and u-va.

stereo:

system looks great, can play mp3/wma/cd/pen drive but sound is not. speaker change recommended.

engine, at idle:

almost zero vibration through the gearbox. LESS NOISE inside than wift, leave alone the palio mjd which is noisier.

initial pick-up:

DARE i say, this car is amazing.IT HAS LIGHTER PEDALS THAN EVEN MY SANTRO!! I can't believe that i was driving a TATA INDICA!

just leave the clutch pedal lightly and that high torque at lower rpm than the swift and palio-simply works. no turbo lag, you never know when the car reaches 3-digit speeds with ease.

mid-and top range:

i drove this car in busy treets and highway-24 also.

pull at 3rd gear is simply great. unlike at other diesel cars, you simply don't need to downshift. at highway, cross 2000 rpm and the car goes like a missile. I EEL it may b faster than the swift diesel. but only when magazines conduct a road test we will come to know about the real figures.

gearbox:

hughly improved and simply smooth shifting 5 M/T with dual synchronizers.
almost butter smooth but can be better.

brakes:

did some hard braking. brakes are pretty powerful and that big ventilated disks do a great job of stopping the car. however, whels tend to lock pretty easily. fora car with such power, ABS IS A MUST.

steering, chassis, ride and handling:

great communicative steering combined with semi-indepedent twist-beam rear setup (similar to the ikon) actually helps in providing better dynamics than the outgoing indica, a quantum-leap improvement.rie over ruogh roads was simply amazing, with no one getting thrown around like in th swift.
suspension was robust enough to withstand potholed roads in patparganj induatrial area.

squeaks and rattles in demo car:
none. the build quality was consistent and vastly improved over the V2.

some negatives:
paint finish on the OSRVM was not as glossy as that of the body.

inconsistent quality of rubber beading around the windows and turn indicator lights.

rear-end styling not to my taste as it looked like a marina.

FIRST VERDICT:

the swift, getz and fabia still may have a little more edge in the overall feel good factor which the vista lacks, but with a shocking price tag, considering the features and price to size to features ratio, this package is complete and simply unbeatable.

yes, our nation may be simply crazy for swift diesel leading to big waiting periods, but, now tata has produced a trly capable all-rounder and a more practical alternative to swift.

DO TAKE A TEST DRIVE OF VISTA QUARAJET BEFORE SPENDING RS. 80,000 MORE FOR SWIFT.

for a car maker that started making cars only a decade ago, all their hard work has beared fruitful results and the result is the vista.
only thing expected: provide the best sales and A.S.S. experience and maintain a good quality control in the product. this car has the potential to redefine the value for money diesel hatch back market sales chart on fire.

I WILL PHOTO GRAPH THE DEMO CAR TO ALL THE MINUTEST OF DETILS AND POST IT TOMORROW, ITS A PROMISE.WATCH THIS SPACE.

Last edited by sidindica : 24th August 2008 at 00:38.
Old 24th August 2008, 01:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

That was quick Sidindica! Nice review nonetheless.
I suppose Tatas have done their best to improve the quality and that too at a great price.
Old 24th August 2008, 01:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice review sidindica.

Maruti has competition to the swift diesel now. Hope the waiting period decreases, and discounts come in!

What about the Palio? With the MJD really struggling in sales, it could be hit pretty hard!
Old 24th August 2008, 01:21   #5
BHPian

had been to fortune motors ,thane today to have a dekko at the vista which had just arrived.it really looks 'imposing' as sid said so!its really good to look at and tthe interiors look much much better than the older indica.i luved the ORVMs and the turn indicators located beneath the mirrors.the head lights also have a sort of a projection half way down.the head lights are really huge maan.i liked the cetrally mounted speedo and tacho.beige interiors looked amazing.
didnt get a td though.the sales man promised one on monday.ex showroom thane prices were not available.
TD the MJD instead and found it really smooth .better than my first TD on it when the TD vehicle was new.found the engine to be quite peppy this time around and quite fun to drive!
Old 24th August 2008, 01:34   #6
BHPian

Good review Sid - I can't wait for Monday - I've been promised my long test drive!
Curiosity: Tell me one thing - how much have you driven the Swift DDIS?
Old 24th August 2008, 02:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

The car looks definitly swanky.Centre mounted speedo is something that we are seeing for the first time in ndian cars..tjhough it causes some amount of distaction if you want to look at the speedo while driving.
My overall ratin 7/10.
Old 24th August 2008, 03:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Centre mounted speedo is something that we are seeing for the first time in ndian cars
Doesn't the Spark have it centrally mounted?

Thanks SidIndica for the first look. One quick question - have youdriven the Getz Diesel? How does this compare with the Getz Diesel?
Old 24th August 2008, 05:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Prices for Swift Dddis in New delhi - Ex Showroom
Ldi - 478016
Vdi - 513211
Vdi(ABS)- 532356

Indica - 488000

SidIndica, what kind of maths formulae did you use to arrive at the 80k price difference? Even the ABS model costs only 44k more.

Maybe the vista is a great car, but please do not let emotion cloud your judgement and deride the Swift as the jury is still out. I understand that you are an ardent fan of the Indica - so take this from a Swift DDiS fan - Please be objective in your reviews.

Waiting for the pictures now.
Old 24th August 2008, 07:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sid, thanks again ! That was a good review.

"Much More Car Per Car" ?
Old 24th August 2008, 08:04   #11
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Centre mounted speedo is something that we are seeing for the first time in Indian cars..though it causes some amount of distaction if you want to look at the speedo while driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Doesn't the Spark have it centrally mounted?
Aren't you forgetting the entire Indian history of Landmasters and Ambassadors and forty-seven years of Jeeps 1942-1989 that had center-mounted dashboard instruments?
Old 24th August 2008, 08:23   #12
BHPian

Good review sidindica! Looks like the Tata Indiaca Vista is all set to be a hit among the masses. With that price tag and hopefully easy availability, the sales of both the Palio and the Swift will be affected. I just hope this does not signal the end of the Palio MJD. What is the expected FE for the Vista?
Old 24th August 2008, 08:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. I will have to wait till I can get a TD.

However, this 80k difference makes little sense. And What I need clarification on, is the humongous turning radius and the kerb weight 1270 KG puts a lancer to shame
Old 24th August 2008, 09:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Phamilyman, the car does not weigh 1270 Kg. Please check the specs . As far as the turning radius is concerned , take a test drive.

TML seems to have a winner on its hands. Hopefully, Tata A** will not let them down.
Old 24th August 2008, 09:14   #15
BHPian

Brief and Complete review there Sid!!! Thanks a ton for sharing the stuff.
Even shut gaps itself is a sign of class improvement and it clearly indicates some real hard work of TATA engineers.
So Vista and Nano are all set to prove the real ability of TATA eh?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks