Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 08:46   #1
BHPian

Wait starts for electric red i10 1.1 Magna

THE REQUIREMENT

The lookout for a car started early this year. My 2000 model Maruti 800Dx had started showing its age and I was gradually losing confidence on the vehicle. My wife's job meant that i had to anyway go for another vehicle.

THE HUNT

So started off the hunt with my beloved 2.2 Safari. Went for the TD and got really amazed by the new engine and handling. Having stayed in Punjab for good 15 years of my life; where safari is treated as something really special - was hell bent on purchasing one.

THE DISSAPOINTMENT

Thats where my plans got aborted :-( -- Increasing congestion in my locality/construction work/bad state of parking space outside meant that my safari dreams couldnt get fulfilled. Once i got to terms with the situation- i was so disappointed that almost put the car buying plans at the backseat. I felt as if i had to buy safari only and if what i am buying is not safari then it doesnt matter whether i now buy another M800 or a honda civic.
Those will just be piece of machinery for me...................................

After the hangover,i started the process of evaluating sedans. Finally concluded that if I had to go for petrol it would be Honda City and if i had to go for diesel it would be Optra Magnum. Wife rejected magnum straight away. Somehow didnt feel like buying the existing city since its a very old model now despite it being an excellent car

So thought to play the waiting game for a good new car in view of the forthcoming launches. Meanwhile decided that I had to anyway buy a small car to replace the M800 and hence should possibly look out for a small car. Finally made up my mind that wil buy a new small car now - and when later decide to buy a sedan ; would sell off the M800 there in exchange

THE NEW HUNT

Now started the process of finalizing which of the small cars to buy. Thanks to team-bhp; decided finally to give i10 and swift
petrol a TD and decide. Didnt want to go for diesel as a) Dont expect usage in excess of 1000KM per month b) Want to
keep finances in place for buying the sedan.

Drove swift and was immediately rejected by the family - they didnt like the rear seating space and in general the
interiors. I have a driver which means the rear seat gets used major time.

Drove i10 got bowled over by the quality of interiors and general fit and finish. Also found the rear leg space to be decent.
I didnt find the 1.1 engine's significantly powerful then my 800. Just to be sure - i TD kappa as well and felt there was some improvement over 1.1
but not of the magnitude that I would really get impressed. In Kappa - i liked the sports model which kind of is fully loaded ( except for safety
features ABC/AirBag ). The other option was 1.1 IRDE which also is equivalent in
features except for the engine. The difference of around 50K in the OTR prices of the two meant that the scales
tilted in front of 1.1. Further since it would be mostly city driving in bumper to bumper traffic - didnt feel like
going for the kappa

THE PLUNGE

Hence finally took the plunge for booking the i10. One hurdle yet to be crossed was the color. My first choice was electric red and wife was against it. She wanted to go for black/blushing red. After a lot of discussions and persuasion sessions finally was able to convince her for going for the former ( YAHOOOOO )

So went to Hyundai Motor Plaza on mathura road ( considering its a company owned showroom ) to book my i10 1.1 IRDE
This is what i got as the deal
OTR - I10 Magna 1.1 - 4,27000 [ OTR Kappa sportz 4,71000 ]
Cash discount - 10,000
OTR for me - 417000

Loan taken for 3L from State Bank of Patiala @ROI 12.5% fo 7 years ( I plan to do part payments and eventually finish the loan much earlier )

THE CONFUSIONS

Loan verification process has already started and i expect delivery by mid of next week. Now comes the need for some piece of advice from you guys on few of the things that I desperately need and would highly appriciate.

Showroom guys have quoted me some of the accessories that I can take from them as follows
a) Mud flap and mats - ~1000 ( Sales guy told me to get this from outside )
b) Car cover - ~ 1500 ( same as above )
c) Autocop central lock system ~5500
d) Gear lock ~1300
e) Music system - Pioneer 3090 head unit ~8K & 4 speakers for around 3K
f) Alloys OEM from Hyundai - 4600 per wheel ( stock rims wont be exchanged or taken by them )

Out of the above list i have right now decided to go for c) and most probably a){even if its a bit expensive } - this way i am ready to hit the road as soon as i get out of the showroom.
Regarding c and e - the showroom guys are claiming that if the same work is done externally - the guys cut the wire and play with the electricals where as in here everything will be done without any cutting and by using the sockets already available in the circuit

Thats where right now i am confused - i personally didnt like the pioneer HU and would like to get it from outside. But I am fearing if the installation is not right - i will suffer. Have heard a lot about the shop Driven in East of Kailash on the forum - was wondering whether i should approach them for the job and would that be fine in your opinion ( would appreciate any reference from any BHPian that I can have for that place ).

Further I felt the wheel are on the skinny side in i10. By searching on team bhp and found that a good upgrade is 175/70R13 Michelin XM1 with a 13" * 4.5" alloy ( thanks to fello bhpian SAM003 ).
  • Can someone let me know a good shop in south delhi where I can get the alloy and wheel + tyres replaced and any information as to what should be the approximate cost per wheel ( exchanging the stock rims and tyre ) that you believe would be right [ BTW does the shop DRIVEN also deal in alloys? ].
  • I would like to go for alloys which kind of match with my car colour - any brands or models that you suggest would be welcome.
  • Also what will be the impact on FE with the above upgrade - will it be marginal or significant?
THE WAIT

Eagerly waiting for your responses and the delivery of my i10 :-)

Regards
Shivam
Old 29th August 2008, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are these shops almost opposite supper factor, in this arcade area near hemkunt colony

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! is what it is.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that's a roller-coaster of a ride from the Safari to NHC to the i10. Can't go wrong with the best small hatch in the country. Congratulations. One question though : You obviously didn't have any budgetary constraints. Why didn't you opt for the new 1.2 engine? For your tyre requirements, get in touch with iraghava.
Old 29th August 2008, 13:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

I thought the 1.1 magna was no longer available. Are you sure the 1.1 magna was 50000 cheaper?
Old 29th August 2008, 15:09   #5
BHPian

Magna 1.1 is available albeit if you go for the metallic one, it's the same price as the Kappa, but the 1.1 has a few extras like door ajar and seat belt warning light.
Old 29th August 2008, 15:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I thought the 1.1 magna was no longer available. Are you sure the 1.1 magna was 50000 cheaper?
1.1 Magna is definitely available. But I guess some features are missing when compared to the old Magna.
Old 29th August 2008, 15:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you go for 1.2 Magna, its only 8-10k costlier than 1.1 Magna

P.S. Looking at your requirement of decent rear space, i would give i10 a skip and take a close look at Indica Vista.
Old 29th August 2008, 18:05   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys for your responses. As per the information I have; 1.1 Magna is very much available and production is also yet not stopped( as per the sales guy ).

1.2 magna ex-showroom price is also same as 1.1 except for the fact that there are some features like rear wiper/defogger missing. OTR will be slightly more because of higher engine spec. I can check that and update the thread from the papers I have

Do you think I will be in any disadvantage with buying the 1.1 as opposed to Kappa. I didnt feel any significant advantage and hence decided to stick to 1.1 only.
Please let me know what you guys think on this

@DCEIte - I had thought about Indica Vista but decided to stick to Hyundai/Maruti only for this purchase
Old 29th August 2008, 19:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Like I tell everybody - when you see the car you know its yours! So if you are extremely happy with the 1.1 then stick to it. You can check out comparisons of the two engines and cars (1.1 vs 1.2 kappa) to get more info
Old 29th August 2008, 21:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Do you think I will be in any disadvantage with buying the 1.1 as opposed to Kappa. I didnt feel any significant advantage and hence decided to stick to 1.1 only.

If you satisfied with the 1.1 stick to it. I thought there was only around 10 k diff in ex showroom price between 1.1 and 1.2 Kappa. 1.2 Kappa just has some more breathe for highway driving. So its your call end of the day.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
If you satisfied with the 1.1 stick to it. I thought there was only around 10 k diff in ex showroom price between 1.1 and 1.2 Kappa. 1.2 Kappa just has some more breathe for highway driving. So its your call end of the day.
Just to clear up any confusions( (all prices for MT , metallic, Delhi )
1.1 has 3 variants
D-Lite - OTR 369027
Era - OTR 406444
Magna - OTR 431082

1.2 has 3 variants
Magna - OTR - 428569
Sportz - OTR - 471139
Asta - OTR - 533950

Difference between 1.1 and 1.2 Magna is mainly that 1.2 Magna doesnt have rear wiper, defogger. adjustable headrests

Sportz has in dash music system/spoiler/power window illuminated switch additional + RED pack
Old 30th August 2008, 12:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Svaid - Yes, the correct upsize is 175/70 R13 with 5J alloys. There are quite a few shops in South Delhi where you can exchange your stock tyres & wheels for new tyres & alloys. Two recommended places are:

BK Tyres - 9810430202 - Atul Kapoor
Tyre Plaza - 29810203 - Anoop

And 4.6k for a 13" alloy is too much, I would expect a good set of 4 to cost you around 10-11k.
Old 30th August 2008, 15:53   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1.2 magna ex-showroom price is also same as 1.1 except for the fact that there are some features like rear wiper/defogger missing. OTR will be slightly more because of higher engine spec. I can check that and update the thread from the papers I have

If it is an option, please upgrade to the Kappa. You are buying a premium hatch, might as well get the premium engine for not-so-much-more money. The Kappa has more power, scores better marks for refinement and is a far better performer on the highway.
Old 30th August 2008, 21:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Svaid - Yes, the correct upsize is 175/70 R13 with 5J alloys. There are quite a few shops in South Delhi where you can exchange your stock tyres & wheels for new tyres & alloys. Two recommended places are:

And 4.6k for a 13" alloy is too much, I would expect a good set of 4 to cost you around 10-11k.
I was just checking out the following link
Hyundai | New Cars | I10 | Specifications
It looks like in UK i10 has been launched with 14" / 15" wheels while thats not the case in India
Old 9th September 2008, 14:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

I went to both Tyre Plaza and BK Tyres today.

TYRE PLAZA

In Tyre Plaza I talked to Mr. Anoop about the fact that I want to go for 175/70R13 Michelin XM1. What he told me was that XM1 is not the real tyre its actually XM1+ and that is the one I should go for.
He quote a price of Rs 3090 for a XM1+ and was ready to give 2000Rs per tyre for a Bridgestone that I will get as stock on my I10. Hence I had to pay kind of Rs 1090*5 for a set of 5 tyres.
Regarding the alloys - i was surprised to hear that Mr Anoop advised I go for alloys from Hyundai only. He said that what I have in the shop here is chinese/Taiwanese stuff and that he wont recommend that. I told him that the HMP dealer was quoting 4600/- per alloy - he told me to try from Samara and that I might get one for around 4200/-. He was also saying that I could go for Michelin XM1+ on the stock RIMs itself ( in case I dont go for alloys )
This led me into a confused state where I was given the option of going for the Hyundai alloy which a) is expensive b) is not good looking( IMHO )

BK Tyres

Then I went to BK tyres and talked to Mr Atul. He gave me the following quote. Michelin XM1+ 175/70R13 @ Rs 3150 and he would buy stock bridgestone for Rs 1700 each ( must worse a deal then the one offered at Tyre Plaza ).
Further regarding the alloys he asked me to choose any from the displayed ones. I kind of liked two of them one was NEO 4 spoke and one was from ADDO. When I asked about warranty - he started explaining me that warranty in alloys is kind of a phoney. If its defective - it will deflate the tyre otherwise it will work - he showed me some warranty card also which mentioned warranty of 12 months on the alloy but said its difficult to claim anything under warranty. His argument was alloys in india are for beautification of the vehicle and not for high speed driving and hence I can choose the one which I like in terms of beauty.
Finally i asked him quotes of two alloys - one was from Nero 4 spoke - 11250/- for a set of 4. Also I kind of liked one from ADDO which was 10,500/- for a set of 4. He told me to come once i finalize

Finally the conclusion is I am still confused. I am wondering if I would be doing the right thing by going for alloys. Surprisingly none of the above guys keep AURA. I read on team-bhp that 175/70 should not be put on stock rims of I10 which was what Mr Anoop was advising. Further since there doesnt seem to be any warranty to what I will buy I have become a bit skeptical

I now need some advise as to how do I go about it now. Do you have any specific alloys from any brand in mind which you think are proven and would like to advise?
Sorry for the long message and Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks