Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2008, 22:10   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
..and I shall wait till the birth of the new year before buying, because Im reasonably sure they will pop up with a couple of more improvements and additions which will be worth waiting for!

The price might also be among those things that pop-up after the new year - manufacturers are known for their introductory prices for new launches, notwithstanding Chidambaram's love for increased taxation.
Old 31st August 2008, 22:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

As quadrajet is the the same engine which is in Swift, Does it imply that finally Indica Vista can be pete'd ? If yes it sure would be one wicked ride
Old 1st September 2008, 03:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

@Shankar: Umm, like I said, the legspace is superb. The issue I faced is that my back feels comfortable when its fully resting parallel to the seat back. In that position, my head hits the false ceiling, though the headrest is otherwise comfortable. I'll check that sometime by the end of the week and compare notes.

@CtrlAltDel: Nahin bhai. There are many on this forum who drive their cars quite to the limit. Recall that thread of cochin-trivandrum in two hours?

Well, having a car that is lovely to flick on the highway is quite a bonus. I did Jaipur-Gurgaon (some 240km) in 3.5 hours starting at 10:10pm despite some very bad roads and breaks. Because I was on a bike that was flicking in/out of traffic at 90+ kph! That said, flicking an Alto in traffic is easier/fun than atleast the Xeta. The Vista handles much much better so the difference on that account would not be *as* much.

@Rahul: With the tuning box being available for the Palio MJD and DDiS - its just a matter of time before the same comes for the Vista!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st September 2008 at 12:07. Reason: quoted post has been deleted now.
Old 1st September 2008, 11:54   #49
BHPian

Despite a good possibility of getting the first lot, I am going ahead with my Swift VDi purchase. The fellows at Dhingra are still nincompoops. Despite queues for TDs, the Vista was out for service today. Almost all day. Dhingra was the reason I ditched the palio, Dhingra is the reason Vista is not my cup of tea. if only Samyak/Elegant was close by ... !![/quote]

So the issue was not with the car but with the dealer.

First half of your post trashes the car and then you say that you did not consider the car because of the dealer.

So finally is it the car or the dealer which put you off???

Nice objective review.

Overall Tata's have definitely improved over the Indica V2, but they still have a long way to go. Especially when they come to plastics, beadings and quality control.

a) The steering plastic is too hard and rough. Should have used softer material. Surprisingly this was present in the V2

b) Door latches are of poor quality

c) The key fob and the platic covering was pretty tacky

d) Light and wiper switches are pretty flimsy and do not click into place.

e) The car on display did not have a seat belt receptor

f) Beadings are very poor quality

g) Under seat parcel tray was missing

Overall a great effort .

Personally I do not like the design, as the car is too tall to have peeled back head lamps. You need a flatter car for such design is my honest opinion. The honey comb smiley grill too looks out of place.

BUT this is my perception..

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st September 2008 at 12:07. Reason: Consecutive posts within 15 minutes :)
Old 1st September 2008, 12:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
So finally is it the car or the dealer which put you off???
AFAIK, its been the dealer - first with lack of interest about selling Palios & then a delay in arranging a Vista TD
Old 1st September 2008, 12:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

I am going for a TD today. So far I have heard only good things about the Vista and how it is leagues ahead of the earlier gen car.

That has got my appetite whetted.
Old 1st September 2008, 12:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone noticed the AC vents in Vista, the ones that run along the windshield? Usually they run along the entire length of the windshield. In Vista however, the vents are provided only in the centre, covering a lot less of the windscreen length. There are no vents in the dash portion in front of the driver. Just wondering if this would affect demisting in rainy/cold weather?

Seem to have posted in the wrong thread.
Mods, kindly transfer to the correct thread. Thanks!

Last edited by directinjection : 1st September 2008 at 12:55.
Old 1st September 2008, 13:09   #53
BHPian

Any insight about the fuel efficiency? Just wondering how will it be with this 1+ ton car?
Old 1st September 2008, 14:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
a. Power window/handrest in rear seats. It flexes a bit - for want of a better word.
b. Dhingra's test car had its bonnet opener hanging by the wire.
c. The door lock/latch is flimsy.
d. The AC vents are chunky and not well finished.
e. Gear knob is so Indica, though the gearshift is makkhan personified.
f. The front grille is ultra flexible in a cheap chinese sort of way. Test the nearby fiat's grille for a solid grille instead!

I still see things being made to some sorta price. The HU is double din, but doesnt look plush - for want of a better word. The buttons had an okay feeling to it, didn't feel Alpine solid I liked the Swift ZXi's

The tachometer is NOT sexy. The v2 in '06 had Naiiish dials imnsho. I am 5'11 and a badd back. I sit in rear seat with back touching the seat all through - in this car my head touches the roof while it wasnt so in V2!
!!
Some things tata is famous for are

1. good legroom, even yesterday i took an old indicab for a 30km ride, and came back much more satisfied to my swift. buttttt .... i can ingress and egress much more easily on my swift than the indica, but thats it. after that when it comes to space, tata wins hands down.

2. thigh support - time and again i have mentioned this and only when a person with a knee cap issue drives both cars, would he appreciate lumbar and thigh support well - again tata will and always will hands down in this department.

Quote:
@zappo -

@anjan_c2007 - Unfortunately pal, no ABS - even I would like ABS on the Top end Variant but who knows, by the time we are ready to buy this car it may be offered.
3. Safety - both maruti's and tata's are seeming to compromise on such things only to compete within the same money range. Dammits, cant you give an option of ABS and airbags? what would you lose? Coming to think of it, I always wanted to ask if Vista has rear defoggers and wipers? My swift does not have it. Dont ask me why.

Quote:
Ok boys
Update.

The only thing I want in this top end variant before putting cash down, is for it to be offered with ABS. The test vehicle had normal wheels. The display vehicle had 5 spoke Alloys - I certainly want those!

Im very clear this is a very good car - and I shall wait till the birth of the new year before buying, because Im reasonably sure they will pop up with a couple of more improvements and additions which will be worth waiting for!
4. With alloys, the OTR will come to about 6.2 which is the same which i paid for my swift VDI (somehow beating the wait period)

5. and finally does the Indica vista have the WOWOWOWO turbo factor that swift has?
Old 1st September 2008, 19:19   #55
BHPian

Quote:
My point was as written - the dealer matters a lot. Even more important than the manufacturer at times.

I'd much rather be in a Maruti with dealers that are much better (I know atleast one) than have more space in an Indica if the service center guys are a bunch of jokers.
I had a bad experience with a Tata dealer. I checked up Tata Motors website and called up their HO in Mumbai. The receptionist put me across to the relevant person who noted my complaint. I was amazed at the speed of action in response. The dealer called me up in less than two hours. When I went to their shop for dropping the car, they treated me like a VIP. They attended to all the complaints. Both the dealer as well as Tata Motors Pune made follow up calls after the service. Overall I am happy with the manufacturer who I believe is trustworthy and ethical and who performs and stands by its commitment. If you came across a bad dealer or a bad experience call up the company and check it up yourself.

Last edited by sridhga : 1st September 2008 at 19:25.
Old 1st September 2008, 19:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point was as written - the dealer matters a lot. Even more important than the manufacturer at times.

I'd much rather be in a Maruti with dealers that are much better (I know atleast one) than have more space in an Indica if the service center guys are a bunch of jokers.
Phamilyman, you are getting too worked up on the Dealer issue!
If you are not happy with one Dealer, why don't you check out other dealers?
Don't tell me all Dealers are jokers!

Also, if you are not happy with the service of a particular dealer, you can always escalate to the Company.
I know about Tata, Fiat, Maruti who take customer complaints very seriously and they do take immediate action against the errant dealer/SC.
Old 1st September 2008, 20:30   #57
BHPian

Shankar, are you aware of the expected FE figures of the TDi option vis-a-vis the Quadrajet option?
Also, has anyone test driven the petrol vista? Any comments? I think Tata has chosen the Fiat Safire engine over it's own petrol engine.
I think we have a very interesting & informative thread going here. Thanks guys.
Old 1st September 2008, 20:36   #58
BHPian

Another Indica Vista review with some interesting points. Looks like Tata has finally catched up.

Indica Vista Test Drive | Cars, Bikes, F1
Old 1st September 2008, 22:12   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Palio_2005 : c) The key fob and the platic covering was pretty tacky..
key fob in a car ? Are you sure ?
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Coming to think of it, I always wanted to ask if Vista has rear defoggers and wipers? My swift does not have it. Dont ask me why.
Yes the Aura has these features

Most Viewed