Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 19:27   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
TATA INDICA VISTA - My First Impressions - Test Drive today

Well - I test drove the INDICA VISTA AURA today.

Here are my First impressions:
1.Very comfortable even for one of my height - 6ft 2 in.
2.The Height Adjustable Driver's seat is a useful thing as is the lumbar support.
3.The change in the instrument panel position to the centre is a welcome sign because one can clearly see the dials out of the corner of the left eye most times rather than peer through the steering wheel.
4.Dials are easy to read and uncomplicated without too much techno- garbage which most people wont care about anyway.
5.Seating position is good - quite high off the floor - excellent for older people and the door opens nice and wide like the older Indicas.
6.Front passenger seating position also excellent -My mum will love it!
7.Thoughtful placement of Power Window switches etc - much more comfortable to operate than the older V2 DLG Turbo etc.
8.With the seat reclined a bit and the adjustable/tilt steering the vehicle does give me sufficient "under thigh" support it seems - but this would be better judged over a day's use in city traffic - atleast 50 km at a stretch. OR on a drive to Airport and back.
8.Thoughtful cubbyholes- deep glove compartment etc are useful - no doubt about the improvement from the earlier V2 etc.
9.The Piece De Resistance - FIAT Quadrajet MJD EURO 3 - Delicious Power, Beautiful Engine. Cannot believe it is a Diesel because it feels very much like a Petrol Car to drive! Amazing! -My Dad will love this I am sure!
10. Lovely acceleration and drive factor- very easy on the left leg because of the soft clutch. - My Dad will enjoy this!
11. Low NVH levels with the windows up and the AC on.
12. Good AC - easy controls
13. Nice music system position - but I think a steering mounted remote could be added (after market).
14. Steering wheel is OK - standard TATA - could have been slightly better, more chunky and smaller in diameter than it is. Would have felt more sporty.
15.The perfect marriage between the Engine and its matching Fiat Gearbox, is a pleasure. Clicky, nice, responsive gears - a FAR CRY from the GHASTLY MUSH PORRIDGE BOX in my Dad's V2 DLG Turbo. A real pleasure to use!
16.Space in the back - nice - I sat in the back and believe I can survive medium journeys in it!
17.Boot Space/ Luggage etc - I think it could be a little more than the normal Indica. and the Split 60:40 rear seat of course is pretty standard now.
18.I liked the HUGE IMPROVEMENT in FIT , FINISH, FORM, FUSION, FUNCTION in this TATA INDICA VISTA. Undoubtedly it is streets above the earlier avatars.
19.The dual tone full fabric upholstery etc look nice and are of good quality for this kind of VFM/ Value Proposition.
20.Decent 175 /65/ R14 tyres/rims. But I wish the tyre size could have been a little bigger because in proportion to the higher stance of this vehicle, they look a bit small. I am sure this car would handle far better with nice 14 inch alloys shod with atleast 185, 195 or 205 size Tyres even - It would sit better on the road as well as improve ride comfort. Right now it looks a bit like it has pinched its Kid Brother's Shoes! Unfortunately even on the highest end variant alloys dont appear to be an option though one can fix them after market.
21.I sincerely enjoyed the drive in this car - It will certainly give Monsieur Le Swift VDI a severe run for its money!
22. All in all, I consider this a very well thought out vehicle, a superb City Car and extremely good value for money at 5.7 lacs OTR BLR.
23.It becomes increasingly clear that all Previous Indicas including the DLG V2 Turbo, the DICOR, the DICOR Indigo CS/ DICOR Indigo normal size etc are passe in comparison to this vehicle:

A Couple of small things - they could have retained the push operated secret compartment in the front console like in the V2 DLG Turbo. But they do have some storage beneath the seat like they also have in the earlier V2 etc so I guess it compensates. However, access is more difficult than simply reaching out.

All said and done I do believe I shall buy this car in the next few months - within six months to one year for my folks as a replacement for the current Indica V2 DLG Turbo. I wish however that Tata's like Mahindra's would give a Loyalty Bonus to us!

My own choice would be definitely the TOP -END AURA with all the bells and whistles.

Tata's, whatever anyone may say are really re-defining the concept of "affordable luxury" raising the bar on the number of features they provide us with, all at a fraction of the cost that other manufacturers charge! I appreciate them greatly for that!

This is a car for the people and I am sure the sales figures will tell the story over some time.

The car magazines reviewers and all those other pretentious chaps can write what they want in their typical quasi/ pseudo intellectual and extremely "contrived and trying too hard for effect" kind of manner and writing style!
IMO they do tend to sound very ill-advisedly patronizing and sometimes sarky when talking about Indian Vehicles, as though they were all "To the Manor Born" or "Born with Silver Spoons" and have driven and used nothing less that BMW's and FIAT 500's and so on since birth (fat chance!), but no matter what they may say, I, for one am convinced on this vehicle.

Full Marks to TATA for this vehicle - and I would urge people to try it out and seriously feel the difference. It is worth it!

I shall, apart from putting my money where my mouth is and buying this car, certainly stand on the sidelines and clap loudly as the sales figures climb - Tata's deserve it!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2008, 19:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

prerana, concorde, manipal? Did they make a hue and cry, or were courteus?
Old 29th August 2008, 19:42   #3
BANNED

A longer, wider car for 50K less !! Suddenly Swift looks grossly overpriced in its segment !!!
Old 29th August 2008, 19:44   #4
BHPian

I too saw this car today at the showroom and must say that the fit and finish looks much better than Indica V2. Even the panel gaps look pretty close and uniform. Think Tata is getting very close to the competition; could be already better than some of them.
Old 29th August 2008, 19:51   #5
BANNED

@santosh -yes.Prerana.Near my home so I know them - decent chaps.
@diabloo -yes - Swift certainly will see some competition - GOOD! IMO.
@appuchan-agree!
Old 29th August 2008, 19:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they could have retained the push operated secret compartment in the front console like in the V2 DLG Turbo
what secret compartment
Old 29th August 2008, 20:07   #7
BANNED

theres a small compartment in my dads v2 turbo dlg
below the music system.
u press it and it opens. then u press it back and it shuts. it is like a secret compartment because it is flush with the fascia when shut, which is why I euphemistically called it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
what secret compartment
Old 29th August 2008, 20:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Shucks mann. I think I know what you are talking about when you say there is a secret compartment in the V2 Turbo DLG. It must be the ashtray. It was there in the earlier V2s as well. But I did not know that its there in DLG Turbo. Just imagine! I would have covered at least... what... 30000 kms till date in it?!

By the way, you have written a fab report shankar. Wants one to make a dash for it now. I understand that it is a real great car. The engine is also superb and so is everything else. Only that I do not agree with people when they just put all the earlier versions down to prove what a great improvement this car is.

Agreed, its a major improvement. But I still feel that this one is essentially more evolutionary than revolutionary. To give you an example. When you say the gearbox earlier was "GHASTLY MUSH PORRIDGE BOX" I just say booo. Thats because in my ride through the evolutionary story of Indi range (yes, right from one of those earliest, V1 if you will, to the latest Turbo) I have seen what was once actually a stick in the mud gearbox (my euphemism for your description) to the one which was light years ahead in the last few years. They are very sure and competent gearboxes even if not the best in the class.

But then I can probably talk these things throughout the day. The underlying point is that you were floored with this new Indica sibling and even plan to buy one. So congrats buddy.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th August 2008 at 20:34.
Old 29th August 2008, 20:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Before the next person joins this thread praising it as the next best thing since sliced bread, or before MSIL haters join in, here are my koshuns from my previous post:
Here are the places where I found cheapness - please tell me where I am wrong:
a. Power window/handrest in rear seats. It flexes a bit - for want of a better word.
b. Dhingra's test car had its bonnet opener hanging by the wire.
c. The door lock/latch is flimsy.
d. The AC vents are chunky and not well finished.
e. Gear knob is so Indica, though the gearshift is makkhan personified.
f. The front grille is ultra flexible in a cheap chinese sort of way. Test the nearby fiat's grille for a solid grille instead!

I still see things being made to some sorta price. The HU is double din, but doesnt look plush - for want of a better word. The buttons had an okay feeling to it, didn't feel Alpine solid I liked the Swift ZXi's

The tachometer is NOT sexy. The v2 in '06 had Naiiish dials imnsho. I am 5'11 and a badd back. I sit in rear seat with back touching the seat all through - in this car my head touches the roof while it wasnt so in V2!

That said, omigosh, those headlights - they are top class. I will add other wow factors - size, rear taillamps, overall styling, door handle plastics, newer knick knacks (lumbar support), better tyres, the engine, the lovely gearbox.

Despite a good possibility of getting the first lot, I am going ahead with my Swift VDi purchase. The fellows at Dhingra are still nincompoops. Despite queues for TDs, the Vista was out for service today. Almost all day. Dhingra was the reason I ditched the palio, Dhingra is the reason Vista is not my cup of tea. if only Samyak/Elegant was close by ... !!
Old 29th August 2008, 20:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Shankar - Good test drive writeup but you have not talked much on handling and braking two important factors in driving.

@Phamilyman - you would not go wrong either ways (In all fairness indica vista is a much improved version of India ) but Swift VDI would be a better choice as it is time tested.
Old 29th August 2008, 20:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
below the music system.
u press it and it opens. then u press it back and it shuts. it is like a secret compartment because it is flush with the fascia when shut, which is why I euphemistically called it that.
Oh thats the ashtray. Its there in very old cars as well (my 4 year old wagonR has it too).

Coming back to the topic, excellent review! Very well balanced.
TATA sure look like have a winner in their hands. I will be test driving it tommorow or day after.
Old 29th August 2008, 21:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any ABS airbag option in the high end variant??
Old 29th August 2008, 21:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review Shankar. I finally found your thread
Got some points to clarify but in hurry so later!
Old 29th August 2008, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
below the music system.
Its not there in my '07 DLG
PS : agree with zappo. I havent felt any issues with its gearshift, except engaging reverse. Now Thats a hit and miss affair
Old 29th August 2008, 21:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous review Shankar, answers almost all my questions about the car! Am going to TD it tomorrow if time permits, else it has to be next weekend as am having a hectic schedule!! (This can go in as a reason i am addicted to T-Bhp, as i am hooked onto the site inspite of having a hectic schedule )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks