Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:11   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Looks lovely!

In my opinion, get rid of the cheap looking 'GM' and 'Padam Motors' numberplates. Either switch to premium normal ones or go for the even more expensive high security plates.
Hey ,

I'm gettin my LT next week ..wanted to know more about these cool sounding 'High Security Plates' that u were talking about ..
Old 25th October 2008, 09:42   #32
BHPian

got my magnum lt 20k service done this week cost me rs 650/-
no problems so far car still feels like new
Old 25th October 2008, 14:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
got my magnum lt 20k service done this week cost me rs 650/-
no problems so far car still feels like new
good to hear that you have 20k with no issues. BTW don't you guys think the service charge is a bit too less.. i know i shouldn't be complaining but even my 10k service cost just 450 bucks. AFAIR they replaced the filter and nothing apart from it was done (car wash etc incl. obv). Is this normal..??

And when does the oil change come in? Any ideas?
Old 27th October 2008, 13:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight View Post
I have already taken a printout of check list while delivery of new car. Thanks BHP for great tips.

Hey vchounal,

I will be taking the delivery of my LT on tuesday next week (Hopefully ..specailly after reading ur experience )

I was hoping you can share the check-list you mentioned here. It will be of great help to me. Also, share ur initial few miles exp ..specially post the first service. Any other heads-up that might be useful will also be appreciated .
Hi Dark Knight,

Sorry foir delay in reply. The check list is attached.

I have completed 3K so far and have no problems to report. I have driven very carefull till now and have stretched the car occasionally. The headlights seem to be poor but other owners on this forum say that it can be easily fixed by replacement of bulbs (total cost Rs 300-400). I shall submit report after 5K (first service).
Attached Files
File Type: doc Car Delivery Checklist.doc (83.5 KB, 770 views)
Old 27th October 2008, 19:36   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchounal View Post
Hi Dark Knight,

Sorry foir delay in reply. The check list is attached.

I have completed 3K so far and have no problems to report. I have driven very carefull till now and have stretched the car occasionally. The headlights seem to be poor but other owners on this forum say that it can be easily fixed by replacement of bulbs (total cost Rs 300-400). I shall submit report after 5K (first service).

Hey VC,

Thanks a lot for the checklist .. It looks quite exhaustive. Looks like quite a work, but defenitely useful. My delvery was delayed ..was kinda prepared after reading your experience :( :(. but thank god it's only for 2 days. Hopefully I'll get it on wednesday.

Wil be sharing all my excitement and happiness later I'm dying with anticipation now
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:27   #36
BHPian

over a year since this thread has been updated.please can anyone inform me whats the model number of the stock alpine system that used to come in optra magnum lt earlier.
Old 19th February 2010, 04:43   #37
BHPian

Congrats. Have been driving my brother in laws LT which he bought 6 months ago for an on road price of 10.8l. Excellent choice. May upgrade myself.
Heard there have been some upgrades in the interiors in the last few months. Is it true.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
Congrats. Have been driving my brother in laws LT which he bought 6 months ago for an on road price of 10.8l. Excellent choice. May upgrade myself.
Heard there have been some upgrades in the interiors in the last few months. Is it true.
Not much of upgrade. New Clarion music system instead of Alpine, Alloys and Automatic climate control.

Now the on road price in B'lore is 9.8L for the LT. How abt Chennai?
Old 6th October 2010, 23:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

does anyone know where in mumbai can I purchase an oil filter for a diesel magnum and what make or part number
Thanks
Old 9th October 2010, 15:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Okay don't bother. Just to let all know this has the cartridge type oil filter insert like the olds ambies used to have in the days gone by. So much easier to change and no mess on the garage floor. Open the plastic cap, take off the old insert, cleam up the chamber and drop in the new insert. Change the O ring that comes with each...
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:22   #41
BHPian

Re: My Optra Magnum LT

It makes a great value for money today after the price drop. But it misses out on some basic features like steering mounted controls, USB and AUX support in ICE,ESP,EBD,parking sensors and rear a/c vents. All these features are now common in cars in this price range. Can anyone tell if an upgraded Optra is likely to be launched in next few months.Lets hope that GM includes these to keep it contemporary.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:29   #42
BHPian

The current optra has Aux support in the music system and the top end model comes with ABS with X Pro which i beleive is an equivalent of EBD. Rear Ac vent would be a necessity if the existing AC cooling a'int working well, but i understand that the cooling from existing AC is pretty good in the Optra. Parking sensors are now offered as part of the deal when u negotiate. Considering these, guess it does tick quite a few of the points that you mention for it to be an even better value for money/ contemporary product.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:45   #43
BHPian

I am posting again after considerable period of time.

I have now used my Optra Magnum for around two & half years and over 40000 km. Have got some scratches on the body but there has been no mechanical problems in the car so far (touchwood). The headlights are poor, though. The quality of tubeless tyres that came fitted on the car (Goodyear) was poor. Two of the tyres developed small bulge on the sides and in one tyre there has been air leakage due to this bulge. Will not be buying Goodyear tyres when I change the original tyres of the car. I should be able to drive for another 5-10 thousand kilometers on the original tyres.

Must admit, the car has given me immense pleasure. The drive has been very comfortable. I get to drive it on Noida-Greater Noida expressway and the acceleration is great. No problems in driving on Delhi roads as well. My family loves the smooth and comfortable ride in the car. The interior space is wonderful.
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
top end model comes with ABS with X Pro which i beleive is an equivalent of EBD.
X-Pro is not equivalent to EBD.

More info here
Chevrolet Spark Safety and Chevrolet Spark Protection Features
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchounal View Post
I am posting again after considerable period of time.

The headlights are poor, though. The quality of tubeless tyres that came fitted on the car (Goodyear) was poor. Two of the tyres developed small bulge on the sides and in one tyre there has been air leakage due to this bulge. Will not be buying Goodyear tyres when I change the original tyres of the car. I should be able to drive for another 5-10 thousand kilometers on the original tyres.
@Lights
You can replace the stock bulbs with either Osram Nighbreakers or Phillips ExtremePower. Both come in standard sizes i.e. H4 for single bulb incorporating low and high beams and H1/H7 for headlights with seperate bulbs for the two beam levels. The wattage is per OE rating of 55/60W. This is a plug and play retrofit. You will notice immediate difference in light output. Cost is 1.3K for Osram & 900/- for Philips. Results are proportional to price.

@Tires
As and when you are ready for tire change. Take a very close look at the Yokohama C drive. This tire is the best combination of comfortable & quiet performance at the right price point. Do stick with the OE size irrespective of what anyone tells you. Chevrolet cars are very sensitive to any change in the OE tire size.

Most Viewed