Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 12:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Heard that Toyota is coming with a Stripped down version of the Altis, cheaper by at least 2.5L next year.
Anyone confirmed the same?
It already has a stripped down version. Minus the leather,HIDs,etc @ 10.5 Lakhs approx ex-showroom
Old 15th December 2008, 12:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It already has a stripped down version. Minus the leather,HIDs,etc @ 10.5 Lakhs approx ex-showroom
probably he means one without auto climate control+alloys, under 10L to compete against Civic E
Old 15th December 2008, 13:18   #48
BHPian

Hey Guys
I test drove the top end manual Corolla Altis this weekend at MGF Toyota, Gurgaon.
Here are my views about the drive.

1. The car has a rich look to it and feels comfortable inside.
2. The seats provide really good under-thigh support and feel plush.
3. The instrument cluster is good and easy to use.
4. The car is silent at low revs but once you push it, it becomes a bit noisy.
5. The in-city drive is fantastic with good torque at low RPM's.
6. With 5 people including me and AC on the car showed no signs of being lazy.
7. It simply glides over potholes and once can hardly feel them.
8. The inside vanity mirror on sunshades has a night lamp attached.
9. Took it till 130 and the car was stable and confidence inspiring.
10. The car has loads of storage areas for things like sunglasses, cup holders etc.
11. The cabin is silent and gives a good feel.
12. The fuel economy shown by on-board trip meter was good at 12.2kmpl.
13. Above all this Toyota staff was extremely polite,well trained and explained many things about the car.
14. The car has been well designed with attention given to even minute details like lockable folding split rear seats.
15. The AC was good and the blower was not noisy at medium speeds.
16. Cost cutting is not visible in the car.
17. Getting in and out of the car is easy.
18. Build quality and paint finish is fantastic.
19. Lastly the price of 11.1 lacs on road here for the base model is worth every penny for the car.

Compared to Civic
Cons-:
1. No WOW appeal as campared to Civic.
2. Civic still feels new as compared to Altis.
3. On the inside, nothing comes close to Civic.
4. The Honda refinement is missing in the Altis.
5. Civic appeals to heart and Altis to the mind.
6. 5 Speed Auto option available.

Pros:-
1. Great ride and ground clearance.
2. Value for money at 11.1 lacs base model.
3. No nonsense practical car with Toyota reliability.
4. Though Honda refinement is missing but how often does one drive past 120 kmph?
5. Better fuel economy.
6. Feature packed and backed by excellent Toyota support.
7. Gives a luxurious rich look as compared to Civic's sporty nature.
8. Nothing extraordinary but everything just perfect,Civic (Looks and Engine) Extraoridnary, (Ground Clearance,Ride, Fuel economy,After sales,Features for the price) Not-Perfect.

Options for prospective buyers : -
1. Go for the Altis if you want peace of mind.
2. Go for Civic if you want to enjoy high speed driving and Auto tranny.
3. Go for second hand Civic if you want to offset factors like Fuel economy and VFM with initial cost of the car.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:00   #49
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Heard that Toyota is coming with a Stripped down version of the Altis, cheaper by at least 2.5L next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
probably he means one without auto climate control+alloys, under 10L to compete against Civic E
Well, if this does happen, then Civic is going to face the pressure. They can't come out with a lower end version as it will cannibalise their ANHC.

Only option left for them is to come out with a 11th Anniversary model with bunch of goodies added into it and may be call it Civic ZX
Old 15th December 2008, 20:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Hey Guys
I test drove the top end manual Corolla Altis this weekend at MGF Toyota, Gurgaon.
Here are my views about the drive...
Thanks, good review. Just one more thing, the Altis has a bigger boot than the Civic and hence can carry more stuff. To me, the Altis is a more complete package. But then that's my head talking....
Old 15th December 2008, 20:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not heard of it yet, but it would be a great move for toyota. A stripped down version means only with featurs similar to ANHC at price of ANHC. What a great VFM that would be, way to go toyota, teach them a lesson that one can't sell stripped version of 1.5 C segment at price of a stripped version of a D segment 1.8 Lt.

@zoom_vroom: Thanks, very nice review. IMO an Altis will beat a Civic anyday in raceing on road.. My personal experience on driving both is that even in 0 to 100 dash or a 1 km straight dash on road Altis will beat Civic anyday. Though it would be shouting loud , like everyone says..
Old 15th December 2008, 21:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Only option left for them is to come out with a 11th Anniversary model with bunch of goodies added into it and may be call it Civic ZX
According to the Honda guy who came to our place to collect feedback and such, such a model is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
@zoom_vroom: Thanks, very nice review. IMO an Altis will beat a Civic anyday in raceing on road.. My personal experience on driving both is that even in 0 to 100 dash or a 1 km straight dash on road Altis will beat Civic anyday. Though it would be shouting loud , like everyone says..
Yeah, and my Civic can beat a Beemer M5 too.

a) I ain't gonna find one to race against.
b) I ain't gonna post about how badly I got slaughtered.
c) It's a free country and I can claim anything without a sliver of proof.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 15th December 2008 at 21:06.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:15   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

Yeah, and my Civic can beat a Beemer M5 too.

a) I ain't gonna find one to race against.
b) I ain't gonna post about how badly I got slaughtered.
c) It's a free country and I can claim anything without a sliver of proof.
here we go again.

the same way my innova can beat a nhc. it actually can.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

My Altis can go more than 500 Kms in a single tank full, your Civic will be breathing dead way before that. Thats called miles ahead..

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 15th December 2008 at 21:40.
Old 21st December 2008, 10:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
IMO an Altis will beat a Civic anyday in raceing on road.. My personal experience on driving both is that even in 0 to 100 dash or a 1 km straight dash on road Altis will beat Civic anyday. Though it would be shouting loud , like everyone says..
Quote:
My Altis can go more than 500 Kms in a single tank full, your Civic will be breathing dead way before that. Thats called miles ahead..
Yes the mileage is slightly better on the Altis but the reviews of the acceleration of the civic and altis were pretty much the same. Both take around 9.x seconds to 100 and they both have similar top speeds i think. However the Civic handles much better and responds much better at high speeds. Its a much sportier drive and look compared to the Altis, which is more on the luxury side.

Statements like the Altis will beat the Civic anyday are a bit extreme considering the professional reviews and timings.
Old 21st December 2008, 12:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
huh, Ym-enjn, dump your Altis - I think you sorely need a bit more of 'Civic sense'!! Do refrain from childish 'mine is bigger than yours' comments.
Old 21st December 2008, 13:08   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True but by the time the Altis covers 500kms, the civic would have gone past filled up it's tank and would be far ahead again.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Civic-Altis is a worldwide war, so I request everyone to continue this war whole heartedly, no personal injuries please..

One important information I wanted to give to all who are planning to buy Altis or have already bought Altis is that make sure to take 3 keys and 2 keyless remotes from your dealer. Mine was trying to give me only two keys and 1 remote but I insisted that I know there are 3 and 2, then later he gave with invoice. Also there are 2 extra HID bulbs in the glove box, if you don't find them in your new car then get them from dealer.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't seem realistic. The base model costs about 10.5L ex-showroom now. They would have to strip it down real bad to sell it at 8L. I think they can manage to get out a base version about a lakh cheaper (without climate control, alloys, but retaining the safety features). Such a variant would still keep many people interested including someone out to buy a City.

BTW Toyota was recently suggesting that they will eventually increase the price of the Corolla as the current pricing is not sustainable for long.

Last edited by CBlazer : 23rd December 2008 at 16:39.
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:23   #60

I purchased Altis after considering lot of vehicles. I booked New Honda City and did more test drives with Skoda Octavia, Optra Magnum and Altis, I decided to go ahead with Altis. I feel like, my decision was correct. It's a superb vehicle. Ride is very comfortable. It shows 11.2km/l as average when I complete 175km in 2 days. The average started from 7.1 when I got it from the dealer. The current mileage is always wrong, as it shows up to 99.9 (that's the maximum it can show.. :-)) So, I have to fill the tank again to get the correct figure I think...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks