Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:52   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjordy View Post
I purchased Altis after considering lot of vehicles. I booked New Honda City and did more test drives with Skoda Octavia, Optra Magnum and Altis, I decided to go ahead with Altis. I feel like, my decision was correct. It's a superb vehicle. Ride is very comfortable. It shows 11.2km/l as average when I complete 175km in 2 days. The average started from 7.1 when I got it from the dealer. The current mileage is always wrong, as it shows up to 99.9 (that's the maximum it can show.. :-)) So, I have to fill the tank again to get the correct figure I think...
Congrats on your purchas, it sure is the right choice.. Which model you bought and what color?

Altis is giving 11 to 12.5 km/l on road.

The current average shows 99.9 when you do not press the accelarator and the car moves by on its own momentum, or on slop. (keep going with that momentum and you'll never need to refill)

The current average figures are very accurate and are calculated preety fast.
Old 4th January 2009, 07:24   #62
BHPian

Just wondering
Should I sell my year old Swift Vdi ABS with uprated Michelin XM Energy tyres and plonk for the Altis ? Does it make sense or am I being frivolous with my money in this day of recession ? And what price can I expect for my Swift with 11000 kms on the odo and beautifully pristine..though I am not gonna talk about the rattles !
Can anybody guide me thus ? Or do I need a knock on the head
Old 4th January 2009, 13:36   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Altis is yet another car in the market. But Civic? With digital speedo, sleek design, it is the car of desire.

Also if you buy Altis, people will think you bought have age old 2003 9th gen Corolla. Because except the badge not many can tell the difference.
You may be correct, but I feel like it's VFM. I got it for 12L on road (G model) after lot of negotiations and discussions. I agree it's a 2008 model, but, I've gone for company purchase (CLV) and I feel, I don't mind the last year model.
Anyway, it's a fantastic car I feel. I park near an old corolla in my apartment and I see the obvious differences every day. Whoever see this together, they say, lot of difference. (I'm not an expert anyway)
I'm very satisfied with it's performance (only 2-3 days but still)...
Old 4th January 2009, 18:34   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Altis is yet another car in the market. But Civic? With digital speedo, sleek design, it is the car of desire.

Also if you buy Altis, people will think you bought have age old 2003 9th gen Corolla. Because except the badge not many can tell the difference.
Not really the Altis was launched in 2006 world wide. Although the looks are similar to the 2003 version the facelift is pretty substantial.

Digital speedo, sleek design with no xenon's, no onboard trip computer, no electric seats, no steering mounted audio controls. Just for that sleek design and digital speedo I lose so many other features.

As an overall package the Altis is a much better option.

For fun to drive factor at the cost of a little practicality Civic is the best bet.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Spot the difference: (9th gen and 10 gen Corolla)
Toyota Altis - Test Drive-fimag0453.jpg

Toyota Altis - Test Drive-fimag0454.jpg

As you can see there is substantial difference in these two. And any one can easily make the difference. And believe me people do think that its Altis and not 9th gen and mny turn around to take a second look.

IMO, no offence to anyone.. I find Altis interiors more specious than Civic. And other than digital speedo the interiors of Civic look age old, with those round outdated knobs for temp control and fan and god knows what, it looks so ugly. And there had never been an incidance I have not knocked my knees with dash of Civic while getting in. With Altis interiors every thing is perfect except the color, which they want to keep different than regular baige and black.

Toyota Altis - Test Drive-fimag0051.jpg

As soon as toyota increases choice in exterior colors and interior colors it will apeal to lot many people. See this nice color of Passat.
Toyota Altis - Test Drive-fimag0427.jpg
Old 5th January 2009, 13:51   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, the front of the Altis can be confused with the Camry if anything,def not the previous gen Corolla. The rear however can be confused with the previous gen corolla. On the inside and features, its a whole new world in the Altis.
Old 5th January 2009, 19:46   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
IMO, the front of the Altis can be confused with the Camry if anything,def not the previous gen Corolla. The rear however can be confused with the previous gen corolla. On the inside and features, its a whole new world in the Altis.
Always a confusion. My dad till now calls every Altis on the road a Camry and every Camry he sees as an Altis. Same with my friends.
Old 5th January 2009, 21:04   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

A small review on the Corolla Altis that I purchased back in Oct 08. For those wanting to know a little about my likes/dislikes please head over to my introduction

Got my car on Dassera day 9th Oct, a Champagne mica coloured Altis. My customer experience with DSK Toyota in Pune has been exceptional and this is the 2nd main reason I am a repeat customer for Toyota (the 1st being the name).

Right, onto the review. I'll list down some of my likes and dislikes:

a) Great torque at low RPMs means less shifting i.e. a boon in Pune's horrendous traffic.
b) Fit and finish the airy cabin.
c) Good mileage - about 11.5 in the City and 14.5 on the Highway all with A/C on
d) Love the Optitron meters and gauges. I partial towards analog meters.
e) Thoughtful gadgets like the auto chromatic RV mirror
f) Factory fitted HIDs/Xenons. Not too comfortable with aftermarket HID kits.
g) Better brakes than the 9th Gen.
h) Last but not the least, it is a really comfortable car for both driver and passengers.

Dislikes:
a) Comparatively staid look (to the Civic) . But then Toyotas are known for conservativeness in their design. Love the Camry though.

b) Hate the brake squeal at low speeds. Have read about it in these forums. During the 1st service I asked DSKT to contact me when they have a fix. Refuse to let them experiment with my car. This one point has been a let down. The sound is downright embarassing and makes me feel I am driving a tata truck.

Cheers!

R2D2
Old 6th January 2009, 17:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
b) Hate the brake squeal at low speeds. Have read about it in these forums. During the 1st service I asked DSKT to contact me when they have a fix. Refuse to let them experiment with my car. This one point has been a let down. The sound is downright embarassing and makes me feel I am driving a tata truck.
R2D2
Its a well known teething problem (with solution)at Toyota, may be your dealer doesn't know. I'll suggest you to ask the manager at service center to talk to TKM head office and ask for solution. Along with all 4 shockers they need to replace front brake kits also. That will solve your problem.

I totally understand your Tata truck situation..
Old 6th January 2009, 21:04   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Its a well known teething problem (with solution)at Toyota, may be your dealer doesn't know. I'll suggest you to ask the manager at service center to talk to TKM head office and ask for solution. Along with all 4 shockers they need to replace front brake kits also. That will solve your problem.

I totally understand your Tata truck situation..
Thanks Ym-enjn. But I really cant understand what this squeal has to do with the struts and the shock absorbers. To me it sounds like a brake rotor and brake pad issue. Even applying low pressure on the pedal (always at speeds below 30-35 km/hr) causes it to screech. Something to do with combination of the material(s) used in the components. Will check with the dealer this week for a firm fix. I am not too happy about them doing a trial-and-error session. Planning to call Toyota's toll free line too.

Might get an oil change done soon as well. Car has done about 1200 now.
Have you had the oil changed afterthe 1000 Km running in? I had done it with my old 9G Corolla. Regular oil changes every 5k and the engine was silky smooth always. City running is considered a severe service condition and oil should be changed every 5K kms. Stuck to the Toyota GMO coz of the warranty though I prefer Castrol Magnatec or better still Mobil1 synthetic.

Regards,

R2D2
Old 6th January 2009, 21:50   #71
Team-BHP Support

Hey R2D2 this was discussed in another thread. There is a recall for the initial batches of the Altis. The suspension was a local component and found defective. The new lot of cars seems to have an imported suspension and the problem is not found.

When you apply the brakes the front of the car will dip causing the suspension to compress. This compression might be causing the squeal.
Old 6th January 2009, 22:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Not really the Altis was launched in 2006 world wide. Although the looks are similar to the 2003 version the facelift is pretty substantial.
The older model was also Corolla Altis in most markets like US and Taiwan. That said, the Indian Altis model is much better than the previous one w/o the Altis badge :-)
Old 6th January 2009, 23:18   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Hey R2D2 this was discussed in another thread. There is a recall for the initial batches of the Altis. The suspension was a local component and found defective. The new lot of cars seems to have an imported suspension and the problem is not found.

When you apply the brakes the front of the car will dip causing the suspension to compress. This compression might be causing the squeal.
Thanks Vid6639. I'll speak to the dealer to ask if they have arranged a recall and if my car's VIN is identified as affected. My car was manufactured mid Sept 2008 while the production run began early August.

Regards,

R2D2
Old 7th January 2009, 11:49   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone please inform the width of Altis's rim? 6j perhaps?
Would it be able to fit a 215/60 tire? As per calculations this is the best upsize.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:54   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Can someone please inform the width of Altis's rim? 6j perhaps?
Would it be able to fit a 215/60 tire? As per calculations this is the best upsize.
215/60-15 is a very difficult size to get in the market. 205/60-15 although a smaller size will be a better bet. It will reduce the height and give the car a more planted look. Right now 195/65-15 make the car look very tall.

The rims are 6J IIRC.

Most Viewed