Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 13:26   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

I Visited toyota showroom sometime back to have a look on The new Corolla Altis.

Interiors are good and spacious,its a very practical car with good ground clearance,comfortable seats,softly tuned suspension and very responsive engine.

Compared to the Civic,it looks a bit dull(matter of choice) , lacks the smoothness near redline and interior does not look as exciting but the Altis is more practical and better allrounder due to more responsive engine(though a bit crude near redline compared to honda) , suspension that absorbs bumps a lot better , good ground clearance and lot more features.

Personally i prefer the analog meters in the Altis compared to the treadmill like display on the Civic.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th January 2009 at 13:27.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

Went with my brother to book his Corolla Altis.

Took a TD , what we noticed. ( Both a TD car and a brand new car)

Whenever we upshift the gear , there is an increase in the rpm.
Sometimes it was from 2000 to 3000 rpm and sometime 2000 to 2500. ( I changed the gears at 2000).

This set us aback and we went to TD a Honda Civic.
Simply amazing

Though it lacks the features of the Civic, but IMO nothing can be as sexy as a Civic.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:31   #78
Team-BHP Support

Abhinav I don't understand what your trying to say? when you back off the acc pedal to upshift the rpm rises instead of going to idle? This is not possible.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Yes this is what was happening.
Both on a new car as well as the TD Car!

I too thought this ain't possible and thus we cancelled the decision to buy the Altis.
We had taken the check to be given and delivery be taken by sunday.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:43   #80
Team-BHP Support

Perhaps it was on a cold engine. I didn't notice this phenomenon at all during my TD.
Old 8th January 2009, 21:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

Checked this. It was with the needle hanging in the middle.
Old 8th January 2009, 21:26   #82
BANNED

HID without lens is allowed in India ? I thought not. But Altis has it.

Also, is headlight washer a must for HID ?.. to cool
Old 8th January 2009, 21:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

I dont think so

People using swifts and civics with HIDs dont use it.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:14   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Went with my brother to book his Corolla Altis.

Took a TD , what we noticed. ( Both a TD car and a brand new car)

Whenever we upshift the gear , there is an increase in the rpm.
Sometimes it was from 2000 to 3000 rpm and sometime 2000 to 2500. ( I changed the gears at 2000).

This set us aback and we went to TD a Honda Civic.
Simply amazing

Though it lacks the features of the Civic, but IMO nothing can be as sexy as a Civic.
IMO, this happens if you depress the clutch fraction before leaving off accelerator completely. Or you press the accelerator before leaving the clutch completely. Mostly expert drivers are conditioned to avoid jerks in gear shifts by doing above things, here the car do this for us and the combined effect increases the RPM. In many cars including my Ikon, you need not press the accelerator in half clutch after changing gear to avoid a jerk which normally is very prominent in may cars specially Suzuki.. You can easily leave the accelerator completely before pressing the clutch or leave complete clutch after gear change and then accelerate and the car won't jerk, that’s the same in Altis.

Once you get the feel of it you will hate to drive other cars, which don't handle RPM by their own. I would suggest you to take one more test drive and test if this theory is correct.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Spot the difference: (9th gen and 10 gen Corolla)

As you can see there is substantial difference in these two. And any one can easily make the difference. And believe me people do think that its Altis and not 9th gen and mny turn around to take a second look.
The pics you have shown are of the front grill, which is the only component of where Toyota have done substantive rework over 9th Gen Corolla. But if you would take pics from the side and the rear, many can confuse the 9th Gen and 10th Gen cars, spcly in the evenings and not for the trained eye. Just like one can confuse a Vista for an Indica. With same engine, basic chasis, and only new grill and bumpers, this is definitely a facelift rather than a new model.

Quote:
IMO, no offence to anyone.. I find Altis interiors more specious than Civic. And other than digital speedo the interiors of Civic look age old, with those round outdated knobs for temp control and fan and god knows what, it looks so ugly. And there had never been an incidance I have not knocked my knees with dash of Civic while getting in. With Altis interiors every thing is perfect except the color, which they want to keep different than regular baige and black.
You are entitled to your opinion. But dude why do you ALWAYS knock your feet on the dash??? I mean ppl dont even knock their feet in the dash ALWAYS as you claim even if they are 6 feet and own a Alto. Leave alone a normal guy sitting daily in Civic!
Old 9th January 2009, 15:03   #86
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words in posts is STRICTLY prohibited. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
HID without lens is allowed in India ? I thought not. But Altis has it.

Also, is headlight washer a must for HID ?.. to cool
The Altis variant with HID has a projector I believe. If it doesn't, then the headlight reflector is designed for HID use (different geometry) and uses a D2R bulb. This effectively cuts down on the glare, but provides far less usable light than a projector setup.

Headlight washers are used so that a dirty headlamp doesn't cause glare to opposing traffic. With 90% of HID users in this country using them in their halogen reflectors, the answer is simply, "Nobody cares about drivers being blinded by their irresponsible mods." Of course, he or she will care about this problem, but it'll be after some blinded SUV crushes their car because the driver couldn't see where he was going. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I recently went to a car accessories shop to fit 100/90 Rallye bulbs. He told me he would have to cut my original wiring and proceeded to tell me the bulbs will ruin the looks of the car (***!) and that he recommended that I "use jenons. They provide great light and improve the looks of the car. It costs only 30K". Of course, that was just for the HID kit. Projector headlights extra. "But wouldn't putting HIDs in normal reflectors cause glare and blind opposing traffic?" "Who cares saar". It's an endemic I tell ya. </digress>

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion. But dude why do you ALWAYS knock your feet on the dash??? I mean ppl dont even knock their feet in the dash ALWAYS as you claim even if they are 6 feet and own a Alto. Leave alone a normal guy sitting daily in Civic!
Because he's 10 foot tall. Or he always knocks on the Civic (instead of just the dash) because he has such bad buyer's remorse that he feels the need to come into every thread where the Civic is mentioned in a good light and proceed to piss around about issues that only he experiences. Here's an owner's experience : I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall. And I don't hit my knees on the dashboard when I drive. Hell, there's enough free space up there to let me bring the seat forward a couple notches in case I needed to accommodate Amitabh Bachchan in the back. The fact that there is so much room inside is one of the USPs of the Civic that attracted me the most.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2009 at 13:17. Reason: See note.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:56   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The pics you have shown are of the front grill, which is the only component of where Toyota have done substantive rework over 9th Gen Corolla. But if you would take pics from the side and the rear, many can confuse the 9th Gen and 10th Gen cars, spcly in the evenings and not for the trained eye. Just like one can confuse a Vista for an Indica. With same engine, basic chasis, and only new grill and bumpers, this is definitely a facelift rather than a new model.

Its mostly Honda which gives a totally different car and name it to some old model and say next generation. Usually companies keep the lines same. Otherwise the Beetle in so many years would be looking like Kuga. I don't like at all the car in a newer generation losing all its pedigree. A Hummer remains a Hummer a Jag a Ferrari an Audi every car keeps its unique look and feature and then upgrade. Only Honda can bring in a booted jazz and call it new City by replacing a master piece OHC and then after the booted hatch now they get a totally different car and call ANHC. That is selfish of Honda to eat brand value and not loyal towards the brand and brand loyal customers. Same with Accord, what a master piece the old accord was, they could have kept the lines same and enhanced it more. What is the point to bring a totally new car and call it next generation? I don't dislike Honda for some personal issue, it is their policies and style which I don't like, Honda is good for themselves and industry as they keep their range updated, all their models are new and stylish but from customers point of view Honda is inconsistent. A soon as you buy a Honda it becomes an old design. They will soon come up with a totally different thing and you are left with an outdated model. I have said earlier also that there is no point buying a Honda after the product is 2 years old.

About the knock, its not only Civic but I knocked my knee while getting (its GETTING in not SITTING in)in Accord also. May be because I don't expect the dash to protrude out so unnaturally leaving so little place between the seat and dash or maybe these two words like a lot to knock with me: Honda and Immorty..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Because he's 10 foot tall. Or he always knocks on the Civic (instead of just the dash) because he has such bad buyer's remorse that he feels the need to come into every thread where the Civic is mentioned in a good light and proceed to piss around about issues that only he experiences.
What you say I do for Civic is what I'll say you do for me in each thread I go. And you don't have choice of yourself just to train yourself. But its Ok, even I don’t have choice, I have to live with you on this forum..

MODs: The guy in post #86 is using "****" in his posts which is againsts the rules of T-bhp.

Knocking my knee to Civic Dash while getting in is my true experience and I don't care if its unique to me or it is happening with others.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 9th January 2009 at 16:07.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its mostly Honda which gives a totally different car and name it to some old model and say next generation. Usually companies keep the lines same. Otherwise the Beetle in so many years would be looking like Kuga. I don't like at all the car in a newer generation losing all its pedigree. A Hummer remains a Hummer a Jag a Ferrari an Audi every car keeps its unique look and feature and then upgrade. Only Honda can bring in a booted jazz and call it new City by replacing a master piece OHC and then after the booted hatch now they get a totally different car and call ANHC. That is selfish of Honda to eat brand value and not loyal towards the brand and brand loyal customers. Same with Accord, what a master piece the old accord was, they could have kept the lines same and enhanced it more. What is the point to bring a totally new car and call it next generation? I don't dislike Honda for some personal issue, it is their policies and style which I don't like, Honda is good for themselves and industry as they keep their range updated, all their models are new and stylish but from customers point of view Honda is inconsistent. A soon as you buy a Honda it becomes an old design. They will soon come up with a totally different thing and you are left with an outdated model. I have said earlier also that there is no point buying a Honda after the product is 2 years old.
If it was left to you Maruti would be the best manfacturer in the world as they have been updating the same old lines on the Maruti 800, Alto, WagonR, Esteem etc for years
Take a look at Verna and Accent, take a look at Laura and Octi, Mazda 323 and Mazda 3, take a look at new Camry and old Camry. They are all different cars and not mere cosmetic upgrades as you'd want us to believe. They have different wheelbase, engines, chasis etc. There are no cosmetic con jobs like Maruti (ppl hate Maruti for this). Toyota has pulled a Maruti on us with Altis. If it was left to you we would be driving old cars with same engines and new bumpers and stickers for years. And feel happy about it too....
I am not sure about everyone, but I do want new models to come out. It brings in new technology, provides jobs to ppl, gives us better goods and makes you want to upgrade your car as well. Lets just leave it at that!

Quote:
About the knock, its not only Civic but I knocked my knee while getting (its GETTING in not SITTING in)in Accord also. May be because I don't expect the dash to protrude out so unnaturally leaving so little place between the seat and dash or maybe these two words like a lot to knock with me: Honda and Immorty..
^^ Your claim now.

Quote:
And there had never been an incidance I have not knocked my knees with dash of Civic while getting in.
^^ Your previous claim.

Quote:
Knocking my knee to Civic Dash while getting in is my true experience and I don't care if its unique to me or it is happening with others.
^^Again your justification! There is a huge difference between knocking your knee ONCE, that you now claim. And knocking your knees ALWAYS (having never been able to get inside a Civic without knocking your knee) that you claimed before. So you have swiftly flip flopped your way out of this one. Therefore your statements are inconsistant and have been rendered baseless representing an inherent bias towards the product. Its quite clear from reading your posts that your apparent dislike of the Civic has made you to loose all objectivity while critisizing the car. From hereon anything you say or write about Civic would be considered prejudiced....

Last edited by aseem : 9th January 2009 at 16:46.
Old 9th January 2009, 17:04   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow.

Just wow.

So you're against everything the human race strives for eh? Improvement? Creativity? Evolution?

You'd rather have FIAT still keep the 1100s in service instead of the dashing Linea or the wonderful Palio GTX?

In another thread I saw you argue that the Altis is very much different than the 8th gen Corolla (with many many pictures) and I believe you said you liked that. Here you say change is bad.

Umm yeah. I have way too many choices on ripping apart your little word wall, but I have better things to do. By the way, you might want to re-read the rules.
Old 9th January 2009, 17:50   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO, this happens if you depress the clutch fraction before leaving off accelerator completely. Or you press the accelerator before leaving the clutch completely. Mostly expert drivers are conditioned to avoid jerks in gear shifts by doing above things, here the car do this for us and the combined effect increases the RPM. In many cars including my Ikon, you need not press the accelerator in half clutch after changing gear to avoid a jerk which normally is very prominent in may cars specially Suzuki.. You can easily leave the accelerator completely before pressing the clutch or leave complete clutch after gear change and then accelerate and the car won't jerk, that’s the same in Altis.

Once you get the feel of it you will hate to drive other cars, which don't handle RPM by their own. I would suggest you to take one more test drive and test if this theory is correct.
I tried it again today with my car and the altis

In the same driving practices, my car's RPM falls while in Altis it increases.

When i went with the method you suggested, There was no change in the problem. It was still there.

What the Toyota people said about it is that as soon as the gear is changed, a signal is fed to the ECU which tells that the gear is being changed and thus the ecu responds by increase the revs and helping acceleration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks