Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2008, 00:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

130 Horses to tame!! Thats one civilized monster you going for!!
Congratulations, and post some pictures as soon as you get hold of it.
Old 15th September 2008, 22:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Booked!

We booked our Honda Civic 1.8V A/T in Misty Violet today.

The AGM of the shop called me up in the morning and confirmed our appointment time. We got there around 3-3:30PM. The place was undergoing renovation and in the middle of the mess, two Citys were parked, ready for delivery. When I went for the test drive lask week, I had forgotten to take along the CD I wrote to test the OEM ICE. So this was first on the agenda.

After exchanging pleasantries, I went downstairs to try the disc in the TD car. I found it to be one of the better OEM ICE systems. Of course I would've been happier if the sales dude stopped chattering about tracks he liked or why there is no Hip-Hop on the disc. I would've been positively thrilled if he had not continuously fiddled with the balance and fader settings, volume controls and most of all, stopped skipping my test tracks after a whole godamn minute of playtime. I noticed the doors panels vibrating away to glory at the higher volumes, though there was no sound coming from them. Flimsy plastic or rundown panel seams?

After that, I went back upstairs and told my dad it sounded OK. Then I asked to talk to the Service head dude so I can ask him about warranty issues if and when I do HIDs. While on the subject, he tried to convince me that the NSX is the internal Honda name of the S2000, so I stopped talking to him at that point and went back to talking to the AGM.

We opted for New India as our insurance provider. We got the 2 year extended warranty free as per some offer. No other extras or discounts were available (well, they do provide carpetting). OTR price is approx. 14.3L. Delivery in 20-25 days.

A few questions about "utility" extras they recommend:

1) They offer a "3M paint treatment". The AGM was pretty vague when I asked her if this is the 3M teflon treatment or the general paint treatment. Quoted price : 4500/-. Worth it?

2) Under body treatment. Quoted price : 4500/-. I'll be going for this considering the low GC of the car.

3) Reverse sensor. Quoted price : 3800/-. Worth it?

4) Door visor. Quoted price : 6900/-. No. Way.

Ambient light for 6.9K is not even worth wasting keyboard strokes for - I mean, come on! 2 blue LEDs worth 20 bucks for 7K?

Wondering about the rear spoiler at 17K too.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 16th September 2008, 11:59   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
he tried to convince me that the NSX is the internal Honda name of the S2000, so I stopped talking to him at that point and went back to talking to the AGM.
When will they learn! Congratulations on finally booking the Civic. Smart on you to opt for the extended warranty.

Quote:

1) They offer a "3M paint treatment". The AGM was pretty vague when I asked her if this is the 3M teflon treatment or the general paint treatment. Quoted price : 4500/-. Worth it?
Nope

Quote:
2) Under body treatment. Quoted price : 4500/-. I'll be going for this considering the low GC of the car.
Underbody treatment is for rust. Neither does the Civic need it, nor does it have anything to do with low GC.

Quote:
3) Reverse sensor. Quoted price : 3800/-. Worth it?
Convenience...depends on you. I personally don't think a compact sedan like the Civic needs parking sensors.

Forget about the HID's etc. etc. right now (they will void your extended warranty too). First enjoy your new car for what it is. The mods can follow at a later stage.
Old 16th September 2008, 12:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Whee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When will they learn! Congratulations on finally booking the Civic. Smart on you to opt for the extended warranty.
Far be it from me to look at a gift-horse in the mouth when they talked about the extended warranty.

Quote:
Nope
They mentioned something like "standard for dark colours" or something like that. Are you sure about this?

Quote:
Underbody treatment is for rust. Neither does the Civic need it, nor does it have anything to do with low GC.
Oh. I thought it was some sort of... umm... "toughener" type compound.

*slashes that off the list*

Quote:
Convenience...depends on you. I personally don't think a compact sedan like the Civic needs parking sensors.
Umm, I fail to see what's so compact about the Civic. It's a damned boat!

(Maybe I should drive a truck or something to get some perspective eh?)

Quote:
Forget about the HID's etc. etc. right now (they will void your extended warranty too). First enjoy your new car for what it is. The mods can follow at a later stage.
Indeed. I won't be doing anything to it anytime soon. I was just asking things I was curious about.

Thanks for the replies GTO!
Old 17th September 2008, 13:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> 3) Reverse sensor. Quoted price : 3800/-. Worth it?

See if you can get them to give this to you for free. I got a six sensor setup for my City CVT.

It would be better to have a 4 sensor setup for the rear only. Helps for parking. The front ones are nuisance in my opinion.

My fitment was done in Alleppey by the Honda people as they missed out on having the unit ready even after confirming with them before going for fitment. The front ones start their sensing as soon as rain starts and keep on chattering about the distance. Maybe there is some loose connection!

I would not go in for the exterior 3M treatment or the underbody treatments. They are just money making rackets for the dealers.

You are lucky, the Civic has a 10000kms oil change service interval, I htink. My City has a 5000kms oil change interval.

All the best. That violet is a lovely shade.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:18   #21
BHPian

you will really enjoy the AT. I just love the paddle shifts. They are too much fun.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Ambient light for 6.9K is not even worth wasting keyboard strokes for - I mean, come on! 2 blue LEDs worth 20 bucks for 7K?
What is this ambient light thingy??

Quote:
Wondering about the rear spoiler at 17K too.
Spoiler for 17k?? Sounds expensive and Civic with a short boot-lid is better off without a spoiler in my Opinion.

Anyways Congrats dude. It is a great choice. I have TD'ed the manual version.. Hows the paddle shift in the AT??
Old 17th September 2008, 15:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
.... Delivery in 20-25 days.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Does delivery take this long for a Civic? Is it because of the misty violet colour?

I believe the salesman didn't try to sell of the under-body treatment as a "work-around for low GC of Civic". That will be the ultimate excuse.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

> 3) Reverse sensor. Quoted price : 3800/-. Worth it?

See if you can get them to give this to you for free. I got a six sensor setup for my City CVT.

It would be better to have a 4 sensor setup for the rear only. Helps for parking. The front ones are nuisance in my opinion.

My fitment was done in Alleppey by the Honda people as they missed out on having the unit ready even after confirming with them before going for fitment. The front ones start their sensing as soon as rain starts and keep on chattering about the distance. Maybe there is some loose connection!

I would not go in for the exterior 3M treatment or the underbody treatments. They are just money making rackets for the dealers.

You are lucky, the Civic has a 10000kms oil change service interval, I htink. My City has a 5000kms oil change interval.

All the best. That violet is a lovely shade.
I was a bit worried about the shade since I've never seen it in person. From the few pictures I could find from the web (Protip : Do not search "honda civic misty violet" in Google image search. Strictly not safe for work), it looks like the kind where the colour only appears when it is lit directly, appearing black when lit by low ambient light or similar. Can't wait to feast my eyes on it.

I don't know if they'll give the sensor to me for free. They were very much adamant of not giving any discounts at all. We'll see. Thank you for your heads up on the sensor problems with water - I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
What is this ambient light thingy??
The ambient light can be seen here in this post by mhafeez. The money they ask for it is daylight robbery. Just to irk them, I'll be creating it the DIY way. It's easier to do than people might believe.

Quote:
Spoiler for 17k?? Sounds expensive and Civic with a short boot-lid is better off without a spoiler in my Opinion.
Yes it is. In fact, I've been awestruck on how everything you touch for a car is priced in five figures. Coming from a decade of tinkering with computers, I thought that was an expensive hobby. Man, this truly is a money drain if you start lusting after stuff. I surely hope I get a petrolhead for a wife, or there'll be civil war (Civic war? ).

Quote:
Anyways Congrats dude. It is a great choice. I have TD'ed the manual version.. Hows the paddle shift in the AT??
I TDed the manual only. I couldn't find the notchy second gear no matter how much I tried. It was butter smooth all the way. I do hope the paddles are fun - after all, it is what the Civic is advertised as neh? Pure Exhilaration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Does delivery take this long for a Civic? Is it because of the misty violet colour?
They told me 15-20 days when I took the test drive. When I booked, they told me 20-25 days. Could be that the extra five days is for the colour. I do not know exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I believe the salesman didn't try to sell of the under-body treatment as a "work-around for low GC of Civic". That will be the ultimate excuse.
She didn't. She listed it under "utility" additions. They mentioned extra sunfilm for like 3k. I'd rather get that done from the outside though.

What I do want done in-house is sticking on a T-BHP bumper sticker. Can someone tell me how I can get one?
Old 17th September 2008, 20:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend the spoiler. Its not required. The car is stable enough at very high speeds as well. Its CG is low enough anyway. If at all you want to go for the spoiler, it must be for the looks. Functionally it server no useful purpose
Old 19th September 2008, 11:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Peninsular Honda called me today and informed me that the car has started it's journey from Noida on the 17th. It'll be here on the 27th it seems.

Eeek!
Old 29th September 2008, 00:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Pre-registration inspection complete.

We went for the pre-registration inspection on Saturday. I had a print out of of a spreadsheet I prepared from the PDI thread on T-BHP. We went with a friend of my dad's who has a keen eye for detail. Because my digicam went missing, we took along camcorders to take pictures and some videos.

The "yard" is a KM or so from the showroom. It's not a yard per-se, just a small lot which is barely 15 meters in width and 50-60 meters in length. There were a few Citys and two Civics parked there. A white V MT was parked beside our violet AT.

First thing I noticed was that the cars were dirty. Real dirty. There was muddy water residue on all the cars and people had written nice notes on them (as evident from the photos I'll attach). They were parked rather haphazardly straight into bushes and such.

The three of us walked around the car and checked everything we could. There were like four of their showroom people watching us with smirks on their faces - until I pulled out the checklist. The second he saw the T-BHP on the paper, the sales dude who came with us started sweating ever so lightly. "Team BHP?" he asked. Yes went the answer.

Yep, you guys are famous!

They were much more courteous afterwards. The odo was at 6KM. The stereo was tuned to local channels. There was dirt on the carpets. It was obvious - someone took a drive in this thing. I expected that since they did mention that the number of ATs sold in TVM numbered under five. Maybe a sum total of two. Fairly typical that they'll take a trip around to see how it works.

Delivery is scheduled on Tuesday at 9:30AM.
Attached Thumbnails
A newbie TDs a Civic. EDIT Now takes her home!-imga0073.jpg  

A newbie TDs a Civic. EDIT Now takes her home!-imga0074.jpg  

A newbie TDs a Civic. EDIT Now takes her home!-pic_0224.jpg  

A newbie TDs a Civic. EDIT Now takes her home!-pic_0225.jpg  

A newbie TDs a Civic. EDIT Now takes her home!-pic_0227.jpg  

A newbie TDs a Civic. EDIT Now takes her home!-pic_0228.jpg  

A newbie TDs a Civic. EDIT Now takes her home!-pic_0226.jpg  

Old 29th September 2008, 03:15   #28
BHPian

Make Sure to do that Team-Bhp Stickering before you get the car out of the showroom , that will earn you a lot of respect

Usually the Truck wallas are the ones who unload the car from the truck and drive it into the "yard" it's their muck that you see inside the car,but if even a wee bit of watermark is found on the car , tell them to do a polish free of cost, didn't see this thread , but you could have told them that you had dropped the plans to take this car and that you are going for a Altis, then they would have given you the Reverse Sensor, Suncontrol etc also free of cost because keeping a misty violet Automatic Civic in stock is not very healthy for them. But Guess it's too late to blackmale now.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arun,

> A white V MT was parked beside our violet AT.

How did you like the colour? At least what you could see under all that muck?

Last edited by trrk : 29th September 2008 at 12:28.
Old 29th September 2008, 14:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ask them to clean the car and then check it out again. Sometimes scratches can get easily hidden behind all that muck.

Best of luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks