Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2008, 17:37   #16
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Regarding Tyres and punctures:

Last week, i came home after visiting a place called Manali new town via red hills road...i came home at around 11pm in the night with out any problems..
Next morning i noticed that my rear left tyre was flat to my surprise.
When i took the tyre to puncture wala i was in for a more surprise....
the tube got torn in many places...not sure how that would have happened....
I have faced so many puncture situations before so i can easily find out if the vehicle had a puncture or not.....
This one was completely bizarre...
Maybe someone is doing mischief?
Old 20th September 2008, 17:40   #17
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The Indica's gearshift improves with time and distance. Just wait till your gearshift linkage bushes are replaced @ ~90000 km. The gearshift will feel brand new (and rubbery )
I don't really agree. Even when my car was brand new, the gearshift was precise. I have heard that gearshift of Indica Diesel is bad, but for my Xeta I never faced any issue
Old 20th September 2008, 21:38   #18
BANNED

That frequent flat tyres is a real fishy issue and you should investigate it thoroughly. Multiple tears on a flat tyres can be due to driving on a flat tyre (But that may be accompanied by damages to the rim). WIll require a physical examination. Can you post pics of the damages to the tyre?

How often do you check tyre pressure - every 250KM / 7 days - whatever comes first is my practise.

You should try using talcum power / chalk power between the tubes and tyres - would prevent the tube sticking on to the tyres when they are overheated.
Old 22nd September 2008, 20:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
That frequent flat tyres is a real fishy issue and you should investigate it thoroughly. Multiple tears on a flat tyres can be due to driving on a flat tyre (But that may be accompanied by damages to the rim). WIll require a physical examination. Can you post pics of the damages to the tyre?

How often do you check tyre pressure - every 250KM / 7 days - whatever comes first is my practise.

You should try using talcum power / chalk power between the tubes and tyres - would prevent the tube sticking on to the tyres when they are overheated.
Multiple tears was on the tube...did not check the tyre.
All the repair work was done by my dad as i was busy sleeping all over the daytime(Thanks to night shift).all he said was he has replaced the old tube and showed me. I did not manage to check out the tyres.

Will check the tyre thoroughly.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:12   #20
BHPian

20000kms review updated

My trusty workhorse has touched 20k mark last month.So far i am very much satisfied with the car.
Having bought this car for just 3 lakhs OTR,Nothing comes close to it interms of value for money.

• Car is very spacious and can accomodate 4th passenger in the rear seat if needed(tight squeeze though).
  • Gearbox has improved a lot when compared to my previous report.As suggested by a fellow bhpian, It really improves with age and kms.Its very smooth now.
  • Seats are quite comfortable for long drives.
  • Car has got a good pickup when you rev it hard.
  • With sedate driving,i get a very good mileage of 13-14kmpl(with AC) in city and 16-18kmpl in highways.
  • I love driving this car on highways.Will plan for more highway trips when time permits.
  • Rough and tough and also very reliable so far.
  • Speedo console is nice to look during night drives.
  • Tachometer for a car costing this less is definitely a good touch.
  • AC is very effective.
Dislikes:
  • Each and every paid service i need to shell out atleast 4000rs.
  • Sluggish with 5 people on board and AC switched on
  • Suspension strut replaced under extended warranty.Reason provided by concorde supervisor: "Since car was not used regularly suspension rubber parts got hardened".Not entirely satisfied with the answer,anyways its replaced under warranty so no issues.
  • Road visibility is less.Sometimes we need to stand up and see what is in front of us.My dad stoppped driving the car because of this reason.He engages call driver most of the times.
  • Advice from my friends and colleagues: "Why Tata petrol? Only a fool will buy a Tata petrol. You should have bought Indica diesel or santro,etc...I hate this thing completely.All this despite telling them that car is doing great.
Service:
  • All free services were done in KRS care,maduravoyal.No crowd and also near to my home. Service quality is good.
  • For paid service,i went to concorde motors,Ambattur.very crowded(its like a mini T.nagar). Service is ok.
  • Last service i went to Koryo mult brand showroom,porur. Service is good enough.
  • All the service centres has pickup and drop facility but have not availed it so far.
Problems:
  • Nobody is able to solve the jerking problem in 3rd gear when i release the accelerator.
  • Ac stops cooling when the fan speed is in 3 or 4 after sometime.Occasionaly this happens for speed 2 and 1 also.All of a sudden it stops cooling.
  • Switching the Ac on and off many times does the trick.
Breakdown:
  • Apart from a few punctures,We had only one major breakdown issue.
  • While coming from office,radiator fan stopped working and I did not spot it till i reached home. All of a sudden,Lot of smoke came from the bonnet and all the coolant got drained.
  • Luckily for us,This happened when we tried to park the car inside our home.
  • Called up the concorde motors,They advised us to pour water in the coolant place and bring the car to their workshop.
  • I paid around 9k for the service as most of the parts was not covered under extended warranty.
Recent long trip:
Chennai-Tirupathi-Talakona trip.
Car was able to climb those demanding steep roads enroute to talakona falls with 6person on board and lots of luggages.

Could not think of anything to write.
so time for some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2-img_0135m-small.jpg  

My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2-img_0137-large-small.jpg  

My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2-img_0170-large-small.jpg  

My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2-peter3331-large-small.jpg  

My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2-peter3332-large-small.jpg  

My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2-peter3333-large-small.jpg  

My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2-peter3434-large-small.jpg  

Old 15th October 2010, 08:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The seat covers go very well with the exterior color.

By the way, good that the radiator fan problem was sorted out. But 9K for it, would you be able to post what all was done in the repair. Something is linked between this and the AC not working problem. Does the AC problem still exist?
Old 9th March 2011, 12:38   #22
BHPian

re: My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The seat covers go very well with the exterior color.

By the way, good that the radiator fan problem was sorted out. But 9K for it, would you be able to post what all was done in the repair. Something is linked between this and the AC not working problem. Does the AC problem still exist?
My sincere apologies for not posting the bill as i could not find it that time.

@All
My car has recently completed 25000kms and i have given it for service in OMR checkpoint,perungudi.(TATA ***)
Complaints registered are
  • 1.Hard clutch.(not very hard can live with it)
  • 2.rattles
  • 3.jerking in 3rd gear when i release the throttle.
  • 4.General service (6months interval)
Yesterday got a call from them saying that general service,waterwash,labor,engine oil,etc would be around 4500+Decarbonizing for 1500rs.
So total 6000rs.

Today they called up with following complaints:
  • 1.Jerking problem is due to Spark plug and throttle body. so spark plug needs to be replaced,some body cable+throttle body needs to be cleaned.
  • 2.Hard clutch - clutch cable needs to be changed -500rs
  • 3.Gear bush needs to be changed -500rs(reason some vibration in gearbox)
  • 4.Front suspension bushes,rear suspension struts,etc
  • 5.Ac idler bearing and one more bearing (I was not listening properly as i was like )
  • 6.Thermocoal packing in all doors for arresting rattles-1000rs
Total bill estimate would be somewhere around 27000rs.

So far i have been a happy customer for choosing this extremely VFM hatch but now kind of shocked.
I am not sure if the TASS is trying to make a quick buck out of me?
Should i just tell them just to do regular service+decarbonizing+clutch cable alone?
that would cost me close to 7k anyway.

Last paid service costed me close to 5k.

Before that at concorde costed me 9k(radiator fan stopped working and driving in that condition costed me that much).

@Mods: Can you please update the topic to reflect 25k ownership report.Thanks.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:20   #23
BANNED

re: My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2

This is disappointing. The Indica has the reputation of being one of the most VFM hatches in the country. In your case, it is opposite. 27k for a service sounds too much.
Even the last paid service cost you around 5k, which is expensive for a Tata Hatchback!

I think you should send an email to tata motors and specify all your problems and previous service costs etc. They should be able to give you some concession but still, as your estimate is 27k, you can expect something around 20k if they are being co-operative.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:10   #24
BHPian

Re: My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
This is disappointing. The Indica has the reputation of being one of the most VFM hatches in the country. In your case, it is opposite. 27k for a service sounds too much.
Even the last paid service cost you around 5k, which is expensive for a Tata Hatchback!

I think you should send an email to tata motors and specify all your problems and previous service costs etc. They should be able to give you some concession but still, as your estimate is 27k, you can expect something around 20k if they are being co-operative.
Yes.it has been so far.
Even now i guess its the TASC who is trying to make some quick money.
I said no to everything and the final bill is 6000rs.

One of the thing i have seen in the estimate is
RHS OVRM- 1450rs+250rs labor
My cab driver said he can get the same OVRM for 150rs and also in G.P road,original tata OVRM is 450rs.
labor charges are too much.

Have taken a picture of the estimate.Will upload the estimate and also the bill tomorrow.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:18   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Yes.it has been so far.

My cab driver said he can get the same OVRM for 150rs and also in G.P road,original tata OVRM is 450rs.
labor charges are too much.

tomorrow.
This is nothing but loot rock.
Apparently the ORVM is black and not even body colored. 1600 for a black ORVM is simply too much. You can get such things at a really low rate from some aftermarket car accessories dealers.
An ORVM for a swift (original black) costs around 1500. Being an indica, it should be considerably low IMHO.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:36   #26
BHPian

Hi
Very nice review. Not many people buy petrol versions from tata and appreciate it. Compared to its competetion xeto offers more space and less maintenance. I know santro drivers who have spent quite a hefty sum on their vehicle on routine maintenance. One thing which i have noticed among people who own tata indica is that they would love to shift to another vehicle given a option just because of the image rather than the performance. Sad what people give into to justify what they think. Cheers yaar.
Old 10th March 2011, 13:54   #27
BHPian

@Rock18:

Good review. Wonder whether it it is really worthwhile to go to TASC just to honor warranty claims, if they end up charging so much for paid services.

For the next service, why don't you take it to Ignite Garage at ECR instead of OMR Checkpoints, Concorde's and TAFE reach. Raghav at Ignite was able to diagnose and solve a long standing problem with the fuel pump in my friends Indica which none of these authorized service centers were able to rectify in four/five services over two years.

Per the below thread, looks like KRS Car Care where you did your free service is also worth a try
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...se-please.html
Old 10th March 2011, 15:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
This is nothing but loot rock.
Apparently the ORVM is black and not even body colored. 1600 for a black ORVM is simply too much. You can get such things at a really low rate from some aftermarket car accessories dealers.
An ORVM for a swift (original black) costs around 1500. Being an indica, it should be considerably low IMHO.
As i mentioned earlier.Its available for 150rs(Low quality one) and 450rs(Good quality one) in the market.Only TASS is making a hefty profit out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
Very nice review. Not many people buy petrol versions from tata and appreciate it. Compared to its competetion xeto offers more space and less maintenance. I know santro drivers who have spent quite a hefty sum on their vehicle on routine maintenance. One thing which i have noticed among people who own tata indica is that they would love to shift to another vehicle given a option just because of the image rather than the performance. Sad what people give into to justify what they think. Cheers yaar.
Thanks. Very true.So far i have not faced any niggles that cannot be solved by the service centre guys.Only issue is that TASS is charging too much of money for simple DIY jobs.
I spoke with a fellow XETA owner and he said concorde is lot better compared to other TASS here in chennai.
I guess if you know a good car mechanic,There is nothing better than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
@Rock18:

Good review. Wonder whether it it is really worthwhile to go to TASC just to honor warranty claims, if they end up charging so much for paid services.

For the next service, why don't you take it to Ignite Garage at ECR instead of OMR Checkpoints, Concorde's and TAFE reach. Raghav at Ignite was able to diagnose and solve a long standing problem with the fuel pump in my friends Indica which none of these authorized service centers were able to rectify in four/five services over two years.

Per the below thread, looks like KRS Car Care where you did your free service is also worth a try
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...se-please.html
Thanks Sridhar.
All my free services were done in KRS car care.
Paid services in concorde
Last service(20k) was done in a multibrand workshop.they were reasonably good.
OMR check point is near to my office,so went there to check out.Everything was professional and staffs were very polite.so thought of giving here once.
But i feel its a bit expensive.

I got the vehicle yesterday.Clutch and gearbox has become very smooth.Only other problem that needs to be sorted out is rattles from the door.I will take care of it as i found a good mechanic nearby my office.

Final bill came to 6005rs. 2k for labor alone which includes general service,replacing clutch cable and gear bush.

I am attaching the bill for now:
I have taken the picture of estimates and will upload it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2-tata-bill-custom.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf TATA bill.pdf (316.3 KB, 357 views)
Old 10th March 2011, 19:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

rock18, tata (and most cos) have a policy to give worst case estimates, since
1) if the actual is less, then the customer is happy
2) on the other hand, if the quoted less, and in the end came to a 27k bill, the customer would be even more pissed.

usually the bill comes to a lot less , as you've seen in your case

regarding rattles from the door, its usually a lot simpler to solve, if you have time.

Get a friend to drive your car, and sit in the back while he drives over bumpy roads and try to diagnose where the rattles are coming from. once you know where they are coming from, its usually a trivial matter. TASC's usually dont have this patience, and go on changing stuff randomly on a hunch. Once you've found out where the rattling is coming from, and are unable to stop it yourself, do get back to us, especially on the indica - list of problems thread. We're used to dealing with rattling

Last edited by greenhorn : 10th March 2011 at 19:33.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
rock18, tata (and most cos) have a policy to give worst case estimates, since
1) if the actual is less, then the customer is happy
2) on the other hand, if the quoted less, and in the end came to a 27k bill, the customer would be even more pissed.

usually the bill comes to a lot less , as you've seen in your case

regarding rattles from the door, its usually a lot simpler to solve, if you have time.

Get a friend to drive your car, and sit in the back while he drives over bumpy roads and try to diagnose where the rattles are coming from. once you know where they are coming from, its usually a trivial matter. TASC's usually dont have this patience, and go on changing stuff randomly on a hunch. Once you've found out where the rattling is coming from, and are unable to stop it yourself, do get back to us, especially on the indica - list of problems thread. We're used to dealing with rattling
No buddy. Actual estimate is close to 30k but i told them not to do anything apart from regular servicing,cluch cable,gear bush change and decarbonizing.
Hence the bill came to just 6k.

if you see the bill,They had added labour cost of around 600rs just for checking spark plug,cardwire and all door rattles and then for checking brake system another 400rs.Is this not a part of regular service?

Since its a long list,i will post the picture tomorrow with estimate they had.
Seriously i never heard any vibrations or sounds from gearbox but they said its there and then changed gearbush.

Same way they said some noise is coming from AC(i don't think so) and i need to change AC idler bearing and alternator bearing.
front and rear suspension bushes,struts,etc-Again they only insisted i have to change that.

Infact i should say that maintenance of a TATA vehicle is very cheap provided you don't go to TASS .
If i would have gone to a local mechanic with some decent expertise.Bill would have been around 3.5k max.

I guess i will visit TASS again only when there are some engine related problems(touchwood).

Will visit the thread for rattle issues.Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks