Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 08:31   #1
BANNED

Palio MJD SDX, 3000 Km Review

Hi All,
I bought the car in June and thought it is time I put down my experiences with my car which has completed 3000km so far.

Why I bought the car:
I was looking for a car with a bill around 5lakhs, with enough space and which could seat 5 without cramping and had a comfortable ride and good build quality. My intention was to own the car for long term so resale value was not considered. The Palio MJD satisfied these criteria the best and it's A.S.S is not so bad as to make it a deciding point. Even if I had to buy a car now, it would still be the MJD.

Now coming to the car:
Looks: The best among its class for me
Interior: Not latest but I find it neat and aesthetic but doesn't have many pockets for stuff and no bottle holder which I think is needed.
Drive: Handles superbly though there is some body roll. The NVH is quite low and reduces after a couple of services. The ride comfort is very high and suspension can handle any bad road without complaints. The turning radius is a little long but driving in city and highway is a breeze. The gears are smooth and soft.
A.S.S: Got done my first service done and had the oil and filter changed, no problems.
Space: Good amount of seating and boot space. Driving seat position and incline is well suited for long journeys.
Power: Lots of pulling power and can take 5 adults on a full fledged trip without much ado.
Brakes: Ok and does the job though could have been better.

I have finished my first service and didn't have much spending to do other than oil and filter since it was not recommended for first service.

Issues so far:
None except my ignition switch started malfunctioning one day on the road and I had to push start it. This is a rare case I believe.
The switch was replaced but they have charged me (Rs.600) saying they have to check it out with FIAT. Shouldn't this be under warranty?

Mileage:
I haven't done many long trips and the car has been used mostly for office commute which is about 35km/day. I am getting around 17.5kmpl in city with approx 10% ac with bumper2bumper traffic included. The highway mileage should be over 20kmpl I think, though I haven't measured.

Overall I am very satisfied with the car
Old 22nd September 2008, 08:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks;986313
Now coming to the car:

Looks: The best among its class for me
[My vote too!]

Brakes: Ok and does the job though could have been better. [I found it to be good ]

Issues so far:
None except my ignition switch started malfunctioning one day on the road and I had to push start it. This is a rare case I believe.
The switch was replaced but they have charged me (Rs.600) saying they have to check it out with FIAT. Shouldn't this be under warranty?

[They should not have charged you]
Do call them up regarding the switch stuff.

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd September 2008 at 08:58.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:01   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Do call them up regarding the switch stuff.
The service center said they would find out and refund the amount. But I want to know why this doubt?
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

It does not come under normal wear and tear. Therefore it's a manufacturing defect they have to replace under warranty. You should get your money back.
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Zaks, Nice short review!

Yes, your ignition switch should be replaced under warranty!
If the ASC doesn't agree on that, shoot a mail to: service@fiapl.com
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:48   #6
BHPian

Hmmm, Finally Mr .Zaks wakes up ,Had been waiting to read you review .
Nice one
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:55   #7
BHPian

I thought the FIAT manual recommends that you do not push start the car.
Not sure if it only applies to the 1.6.
I could be wrong here.
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:27   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_2cool View Post
Hmmm, Finally Mr .Zaks wakes up ,Had been waiting to read you review .
Nice one
No Jazzy, am here on this forum most of the time but was too lazy to post

..did a short trip yesterday and took her up to 140 on NICE with 4 adults, very stable indeed.
BTW I just checked my oil and it's already black in colour. Is this normal as I have filled it fresh during my first service which was approx 1.5 months back.
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
No Jazzy, am here on this forum most of the time but was too lazy to post

..did a short trip yesterday and took her up to 140 on NICE with 4 adults, very stable indeed.
BTW I just checked my oil and it's already black in colour. Is this normal as I have filled it fresh during my first service which was approx 1.5 months back.
Yes Pal Its Normal so dont worry ,
I followed Fiat recommends Oil Change and Oil Filter Change only at second service so you can think what would be the shade will be the oil in car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks