Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 10:51   #16
BHPian

Skoda Fabia 1.4 Petrol is perfectly stable (with AC on, 4 people in car) even at indicated 180 kmph (Mumbai Pune expressway).

1.2 should easily be stable at 130 kmph.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:43   #17
BHPian

The car does not do a 0-100 in 10 secs but is definitely well planted on even on rough roads at high speeds. I have heard people commenting that its brakes are not very sharp. In my opinion (have done 10k kms) it does not give you the jerky feeling that is observed in most cars but definitely stops in quickly in a straight line without any fuss.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:20   #18
BHPian

After driving my colleague's New Fabia HTP, (with Alloys, Airbags, the model is next to the top of the line petrol Fabia) the following are what I felt.
  1. Extremely planted on the road. Creates a lot of confidence.
  2. Petrol engine is not that refined at the initial RPM. But don't let that fool you. Beyond 2000 RPM, the engine's sweeeet!
  3. The power band kicks in from 2500 to 3500 RPM. Like a Turbo.
  4. The initial pickup is less zippy, but has great torque like a Diesel. Unbelievable (atleast for me) for a Petrol engine.
  5. No visible difference in performance, when AC is switched on/off
  6. Totally silent inside. 95% of outside sound gets blocked.
  7. Lot of legroom in front and ample in rear. 5' 10" can be seated comfortably (I am 5' 10")
  8. Somehow, I felt that Fabia HTP should be driven like a skoda diesel and not like other petrol cars. The initial torque itself is adequate enough to get you rolling. Smooth clutch and great gear-shift.
  9. Steering is good and no vibrations felt
  10. Ride quality though little firm, helps to eat all the bumps.
  11. In-Flight like BEEP sound when door is opened while running. Same carried over in In-car audio system. Nice. Felt like I was in a flight!
  12. Though the specs on paper may seem this is underpowered, it is actually not. The engine and performance is quite competent.Great for city and highway cruising.
Some of the issues:
  1. HTP comes with standard multi-reflector headlamps. The projector style lamps are for diesel version, I guess
  2. Dual tone interior does not come in biege color. HTP has a black and light gray mix.
  3. Engine does not sound refined in the 1000 RPM band.
  4. Only front speakers + tweeters offered as standard fitment in HTP.
  5. Typical european stuyle horn placement in steering. I find it difficult, when negotiating with chennai's maniac autowalas.
  6. Little outdated dash. Simple and functional. Lacks the "jazz" for a 6 lacs car.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 30th April 2010 at 12:23.
Old 9th June 2011, 15:01   #19
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Fabia 1200cc petrol

Hi Everyone,

I have been using my Fabia 1.2 TDI Ambiente since early Dec 2010 and must admit I am very happy with my purchase. The car feels solid and has given no reason to complain so far. I have however still not been able to take the car out of Mumbai and plan to do so in the next few weekends. Will write a detailed ownership report post. One thing I should mention is that the rubber on my wiper blades began to peel off - however JMD Skoda replaced the wiper blade set free of cost.

The in city performance is very nice and the car has been returning a fuel average in the range of 12.8 - 14.5 Km/Ltr. Please keep in mind my running is largely in bumper to bumper Mumbai city during peak traffic with the AC switched on around 90 - 95% of the time. So I assume highway figures should be significantly better.

The engine sound is significantly lesser compared to the older 1.4 PD engine.

02/02

Good Bits –

1) Illuminated dual glove box

2) Large and practical boot

3) Gear shift indicator : helps fuel efficiency

4) Height adjustable driver seat : Steering also adjustable for reach and height.

5) Hand brake on warning light and warning chime : Very useful

6) Power windows – practical features : Auto up/down, can be operated even when car is switched off and can operate them while locking the car from the outside too.

7) Powerful AC

8) Conveniently located lever to flip front seats backrest forward: Access even from the rear seats.

9) Rear AC vents : Not the as effective as a dedicated rear seat vent but does help in air circulation near the rear passenger seats.

Not so good Bits –

1) Spongy brake feed back :The brake works fine but the pedal response does not feel that it bites the brake as well as a old Honda City or the Ford Ikon. Not sure if its just my car

2) Aircon circulation swich – fiddly : The circulation switches to the other mode the moment you rotate the thermostat dial.

3) No grab handles above the passenger doors : Practical and useful feature, wonder why its missing

4) Fuel filler needs to be opened with a key: Primitive.. why?

5) No manual locking pin to lock/unlock doors from the inside: Just a matter of habit I guess, but I still miss it.

6) No rear power windows and rear wiper wash even on car costing 6.8 Lakhs on road in Mumbai

Hope this is of some use.

Regards,
Kunaal

Most Viewed