Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 13:41   #151
BHPian

Great pic's dude i envy you. MEN[SX4] make way for the city!
Old 15th October 2008, 00:30   #152

Any comments on FE?

Hi Vivek,

Nice review! The 3G Honda City does have a fuel consumption meter...what was it reading for your drive from Jaipur to Delhi?

Cheers!
Old 15th October 2008, 10:15   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Vivek,

First of all, a stunning effort. Congratulations!

A couple of Q's:
1. What did you think of the HVAC efficacy?
2. Does Civic also squat on the rear when fully loaded? Or was it more in the case of City? From the pics, it didnt appear to be bad.
3. A big one: The OTR S M/T or A/T is going to be around 10-11 L in Bangalore/Kerala. And then one must do the alloys and tyres bit for sure. And may be a bit of interiors to patch up those Loganish door panels, ICE etc. So does it make sense to stretch and get the cheapest Civic (or may be the xheapest Altis)?

I presume the difference is about 2L and may be 3. But there is a world of difference between the two interiors (an aircraft cockpit vs. something less ergonomic) plus the overall quality. The equipment levels are way above City's. And Altis offers comparable FE to that of the City (when City meets real conditions that is). And indeed, if you had driven the Civic , there is no "struggle" to get to 120 kmph from 100! And there are no exposed "silver nuts" and so on...I'm confused a bit. What is your honest opinion?

Others: What do you think?

BH.
If it's going to be Rs 10-11 lakhs for the 3GHC in our place, then it's perhaps a good idea to go that little bit and get the Civic. You get a car that is a segment higher, has striking interiors, great image, good dynamics and more power.

But there is also a bunch of people who think the reverse. What if you get nearly 80percent of the Civic in a car that is Rs.2lakhs cheaper? I believe that the 3GHC will eat away some of the sales of the Civic. And if you need an auto, then the City is the better option, as the Civic auto is very expensive. And it is slightly more fuel efficient.

Having lived with a Civic, it will be the one that I will put my money down. The City is a bit too common, isnt it? The City has the novelty value going for it now..and the looks are the most compelling reason to buy one, apart from the engine. The interiors are not too low on quality. Somehow it feels cheap...mostly it has to do with the shades used. Or may be I was expecting a lot on the 'feel good factor', something we have all got from Honda cars.

The City matches the Civic very closely. It offers killer looks, an auto option, great performance, decent economy at a lower price. It seems deliberate that Honda gave it interiors of inferior variety to seperate it from the big bro.
Old 15th October 2008, 13:03   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Unknown Location,Oct- 08
S
ources say that .....
Arun, are you seriuos buddy??

This statement made me feels else:
Quote:
Janaki Jhassoos's son reporting.He aint famous yet to give out names before doing undercover jobs
And this is the first time, i hear some thing so quirky from you. Ofcourse I dont doubt your connections but I never knew you have connections with the Honda folks(or is it somehow connected to owning both the NHC and CRV??)

Lets wait for DKji's say on this.
Old 15th October 2008, 13:18   #155
BHPian

Is it just me or have Honda blatantly ripped off the tail-lights of the 3-Series?
They should have picked a better design to knock off. Those tail-lights really let the rear of the car down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
Great report and terrific pictures Vivek.
This is one car I'm eyeing on.
The tail lights are disappointing IMO and how I wish a slightly higher ground clearance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
The much criticised rear has sharp lines and creases typical of modern automotive design and looks acceptable to my eyes. But the tail lamps are not of the proper crystal variety. Perhaps Honda has left it for a subtle facelift at a later stage.
Old 15th October 2008, 14:50   #156
BHPian

, you are not alone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Is it just me or have Honda blatantly ripped off the tail-lights of the 3-Series?
They should have picked a better design to knock off. Those tail-lights really let the rear of the car down.
Old 15th October 2008, 15:28   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
True, Seems to be Inspired (rather copied) as the saying goes normally
Old 15th October 2008, 18:51   #158
Senior - BHPian

Great pics and a fantastic report.

One thing that caught my eye in the pics was the automatic gear lever which is not in line with the contemporary offerings elsewhere. This type of gear lever with the push button on the side is an outdated one with the car makers moving over to the snazzy design of having the push button in the front.
Old 15th October 2008, 23:46   #159

this car definitely needs tyre upgrades.. come to think about it... almost all cars under the 10 lac budget in India need them.. why are the cars so seriously under-tyre'd? ..a good set of wheels can change the personality of a car...
Old 16th October 2008, 02:07   #160
BHPian

dear vivek, thank you for the exhaustive review of the AHNC. i would like to ask you if you have any idea of the date from when deliveries are going to start?? i have booked the S-AT and my dealer has promised me delivery by 20 nov which i think he will not be able to do..also the commitment is not in writing.any help would be appreciated...
Old 16th October 2008, 06:29   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon View Post
this car definitely needs tyre upgrades.. come to think about it... almost all cars under the 10 lac budget in India need them.. why are the cars so seriously under-tyre'd? ..a good set of wheels can change the personality of a car...
Generally buyers in <10L range are also quite FE conscious – so the manufactures tend to optimize tyres for that rather than performance. Also this suits for the average common (not t-bhp) user.
Old 16th October 2008, 08:51   #162
BHPian

Awesome review and pics Vivek. Now, I can't wait to get the car and go for a spin in it. I am truly amazed with the FE that few journalists had reported and that too on a automatic car.

I think Honda has a winner here and I am sure this car would retain their leadership position in the segment.
Old 16th October 2008, 16:16   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Generally buyers in <10L range are also quite FE conscious – so the manufactures tend to optimize tyres for that rather than performance. Also this suits for the average common (not t-bhp) user.
Spot on. We must realise that many people are not on T-bhp and they also buy cars so manufacturers have to keep lot of things in mind while designing.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:08   #164
BHPian

Nice and comprehensive review! It definitely looks like Honda is gearing up to meet and beat competition from the likes of the SX4, Verna, etc. IMO they should provide climate control and alloys as an option at least in the top end version to be at par with SX4 in terms of equipment levels.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:15   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Unknown Location,Oct- 08
S
ources say that Honda Siel India had taken inputs from Senior Members of the Ice Section on T-BHP.The members were allowed to cast their opinions and suggestions via their forum. The R&D team at Honda were highly appreciative of being allowed to take part in "Ask the Gurus" thread section.

Feedback is yet to start in this regard, but rest assured that Honda has taken T-BHP ICE SECTION seriously.
Atleast they cared about the tweeter pods.

I would have been happier if they prodived an HU that has 2-3 pairs of pre outs so we can add amps. Next time they should have a more comphrehensive questionaire. The Gurus and Pros on the ICE forum would be more inclined to help.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed