Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2008, 20:10   #451
Senior - BHPian

I highly suspect this has been mentioned before, but I'm going to take the risk of repeating it.

The reason for the huge gap in the engine bay? To house the R18A engine. Yep, the very same ~130BHP engine powering the Civic. The City in China gets this engine as an option.

Source : 2009 Honda City launched in China with 1.8L engine

Quite an option isn't it?
Old 13th December 2008, 23:05   #452
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The reason for the huge gap in the engine bay? To house the R18A engine. Yep, the very same ~130BHP engine powering the Civic. The City in China gets this engine as an option.
The City ZX also has the huge gap in the engine bay, and that is nothing but the crumble zone. In the event of the crash it collapses inside and absorbs the shock from the impact, protecting the engine, and the inmates of the car.

It ofcourse also helps Honda to fool us to believe that it is a big car, and charge (should i say fleece) us more
Old 15th December 2008, 01:45   #453
BHPian

my S-At does not show that big a gap in the engine bay..
Old 16th December 2008, 13:26   #454
BHPian

Tafeta White S-MT

Hi all,
We bought a Tafeta white S-MT City last Sunday (7th Dec).
Apart from the price drop right after our purchase, I have absolutely no complaints. In my opinion the car is flawless and well thought of.
This is our first Honda and I must say that Honda added another fan to its list.
We reached Prestige Honda, Chandigarh with our demands and the dealership totally lived up to it and delivered the car within 3 days of booking it just as we wanted.

I can see on the forums that few of my friends here are not happy with the new city. But I cannot see the reason for the same.
Agreed it is a bit overpriced, but at the same time, it is simply just great.

Have driven the car approximately 200 kms in the last week.
Another thing that I was surprised to look at was the fuel efficiency.

It gave me 18.2 Km/Litre in the city. This of course is with the AC off.
I was told the FE will rise further after the second service.
I wonder where is it going to stop.

Please do keep writing here and update me with your opinions and views.

Sugam.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd Generation Honda City driven-14122008005.jpg  

3rd Generation Honda City driven-07122008002.jpg  

Old 16th December 2008, 14:58   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
Hi all,
We bought a Tafeta white S-MT City last Sunday (7th Dec).
Apart from the price drop right after our purchase, I have absolutely no complaints. In my opinion the car is flawless and well thought of.
This is our first Honda and I must say that Honda added another fan to its list.
We reached Prestige Honda, Chandigarh with our demands and the dealership totally lived up to it and delivered the car within 3 days of booking it just as we wanted.

I can see on the forums that few of my friends here are not happy with the new city. But I cannot see the reason for the same.
Agreed it is a bit overpriced, but at the same time, it is simply just great.

Have driven the car approximately 200 kms in the last week.
Another thing that I was surprised to look at was the fuel efficiency.

It gave me 18.2 Km/Litre in the city. This of course is with the AC off.
I was told the FE will rise further after the second service.
I wonder where is it going to stop.

Please do keep writing here and update me with your opinions and views.

Sugam.
18KMPL! Is it from the ODO or measured tank to tank. ODO well could be wrong!
And by the way congrats for the new car. City in white looks smashing. I test drove the AT model and was very impressed. If only they could have provided a better looking music player...
Old 16th December 2008, 16:18   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
18KMPL! Is it from the ODO or measured tank to tank. ODO well could be wrong!
And by the way congrats for the new car. City in white looks smashing. I test drove the AT model and was very impressed. If only they could have provided a better looking music player...
From the reports of owners of ANHC, the ODO seems to just have a deviation of around 1 kmpl...so i guess if not 18, the mileage could be around 16-17....thats pretty good....cheers to Honda for delivering 118bhp and 16-18 mileage!
Old 17th December 2008, 11:15   #457
BHPian

looks great. grill looks agressive yet stylish.
Old 17th December 2008, 18:00   #458
BHPian

Guys check out this link
New 4G Honda City

Also i quote from the link
"In real-life driving what this translates to is a false sense of 'power' from the engine. Of course the new L15A i-VTEC is 10ps more powerful than the L15A VTEC (120ps versus 110ps). But in truth the amount of low end torque/power difference is going to be little or none. However, it is the better 'bite' of the 5AT and the subsequent 'surge' of the car to heavy throttle inputs that will make the uninitiated feel that the new 4G City is 'more powerful'. Unfortunately, this won't last because the 5AT just won't have the flexibility of the CVT-7. And so once moving, the engine will have to climb through the rpm band upon each gear-change. What it means is that when pushed hard, the engine will now feel like it runs out of breath faster compared to the old L15A VTEC with the CVT-7 (which would be running constantly at 6000rpm all the time, like it never runs out of breath). So the feeling of 'more power' on the new City will quickly give way to complaints of 'lack of power' when we push it hard, eventhough the new L15A i-VTEC do actually have more power in the high-rpm than the old L15A VTEC. Bear this in mind because there is a very good chance that you will be reading vastly contrasting reviews, some proclaiming the new City to be more powerful while others will probably be complaining about a lack of power from the new engine."

Last edited by zoom_vroom : 17th December 2008 at 18:02.
Old 18th December 2008, 09:38   #459

I'm little bit confused about Honda City and Toyota Altis. Altis gives all features for 12.2L (after discount - On Road Price in Bangalore for G model)
If I need to add stuff like Alloy Wheels etc, it's going to be another 1L for City. Now, the major difference is the power and FE. Altis guarantees 10.5 in city with A/C. (Not sure). Honda city, we still not have a proper figure. We can assume around 13.5 in City.
What's your opinion about Toyota Altis? I know it's a wrong thread to ask, but since I booked City with 1L, just thought of taking some final decision...
Old 18th December 2008, 14:37   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjordy View Post
I'm little bit confused about Honda City and Toyota Altis. Altis gives all features for 12.2L (after discount - On Road Price in Bangalore for G model)
If I need to add stuff like Alloy Wheels etc, it's going to be another 1L for City. Now, the major difference is the power and FE. Altis guarantees 10.5 in city with A/C. (Not sure). Honda city, we still not have a proper figure. We can assume around 13.5 in City.
What's your opinion about Toyota Altis? I know it's a wrong thread to ask, but since I booked City with 1L, just thought of taking some final decision...
Shouldn't you be comparing the Altis to the Civic? It's not fair to the poor ANHC as it will find the going tough against a more expensive model. The Altis, I understand, is more loaded then the Civic too. Between the City and Altis, I think the Altis would make more sense.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:02   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Shouldn't you be comparing the Altis to the Civic? It's not fair to the poor ANHC as it will find the going tough against a more expensive model. The Altis, I understand, is more loaded then the Civic too. Between the City and Altis, I think the Altis would make more sense.
Thanks.... Why I'm comparing City with Altis is because the price difference is less. I've decided to go for City, now slowly changing my mind because of the following reasons. If I'm wrong, please correct me and help me to take the right decision because I'm planning to use it for the next 4-5 years, and my monthly drive will be around 1200km and yearly, one (max 2) long drive around 1500km.

My preferences were like this.
1. Fully loaded if possible.
2. Powerful as I drive fast in the city.
3. Since driving a manual vehicle (WagonR) for 6 years, some pain in my leg by changing the gear every now and then by pressing the clutch.
4. Mileage
5. Price

So, thought of going for AT version of Honda City in 2009 (No 2008 model)
1. It's not at all fully loaded. Need to add Alloy wheels, Reverse Sensor with camera, Trunk Spoiler, Fog Lamps, Bumper Protectors, sun film - all will cost me at least 1Lakh, I hope
2. City is powerful (When I compare with my current WagonR)
3. because of the pain in my leg (Not too serious), I thought of purchasing City AT.
4. Mileage of 10.5 in City approx.
5. On-road price is around 10.48L. Add the accessories, it becomes 11.48L approx

Now I did a second round of test drive of Altis today, here is the result:
1. It's fully Loaded. Only thing required is, reverse sensor and sun film. (17500+3500 = 21000)
2. It's 1.8l engine, so of course powerful than City.
3. I felt, the clutch is good and soft. (But felt, the gear knob is hard...Will I have pain in left hand if I drive this for another 4 years? )
4. Mileage as per the sales guy is 10.5 guaranteed, it can go up to 12.
5. The On Road price is 12.68L. Now, they are ready to offer me around 52000 discount for the 2008 car. I checked the manufacturing date of the display car, it's Sep 08. I asked for 12L, and hope they will agree. So, they are giving me a discount on the price of around 68000.

Now, please tell me, whether I should go ahead with Altis or City? The price difference CIty AT and Altis Manual is around 55000. That's it. I get a higher end model with fully loaded. Please help me to take a decision...

Thanks in Advance...
Old 18th December 2008, 17:56   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjordy View Post
Now, please tell me, whether I should go ahead with Altis or City? The price difference CIty AT and Altis Manual is around 55000. That's it. I get a higher end model with fully loaded. Please help me to take a decision...

Thanks in Advance...
Well if the difference is just 55k, i suggest you to go for Altis; else go City S-MT, since the difference now will be more than a lakh.
Old 18th December 2008, 18:41   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Well if the difference is just 55k, i suggest you to go for Altis; else go City S-MT, since the difference now will be more than a lakh.
Yeah, the difference between City SMT and Altis G is around 1.30L (Considering the accossories too). But still, I feel, I can get the next segment car with 1.3L extra. I didn't consider Civic because, I heard, they are planning to come up with a new model in 2009. Altis is anyway new.
Old 18th December 2008, 20:03   #464
Senior - BHPian

@pjordy : did you take Civic E into the equation? Other than the climate control, you wont be missing much, and it hsould be comfortably under 12 L too (Bangalore ex showroom 9.99L)

12L for a fully loaded Altis G in Bangalore sounds good.
Old 19th December 2008, 22:22   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@pjordy : did you take Civic E into the equation? Other than the climate control, you wont be missing much, and it hsould be comfortably under 12 L too (Bangalore ex showroom 9.99L)

12L for a fully loaded Altis G in Bangalore sounds good.
I don't think Civic base model is having Alloy Wheels/Fog Lamps and automatic climate control. I didn't consider it because, I heard, they are coming up with a new model in 2009 and I don't want to be left behind. Altis is anyway 3 months old and I'm planning to use it (or any other car) for at least 4 to 5 years. Today they called me and told, I'll get the discount only if I buy this year. They will give me the basic accessories free of cost. (Floor mat and Sun Film)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed