Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Xeta 5mo - 3000 kms ownership report

This may sound like a repetition as by now, it's a well-known fact that Xeta is a VFM car for a non-perfectionist buyer. But, let me paste my review on my car anyways. This is copied from my blog. Hope it helps prospective buyers clear their doubts.

=================

After a lot of deliberation and hesitation, I finally made up my mind and bought a TATA car. The obvious contender was the WagonR, which I had found a bit uncomfortable and lacking in space. I had my reservations about the build quality / reliability of the car, as a lot of other bloggers and online reviewers had mentioned about the nagging 'quality' issues with the car. Some had even reported that the car would 'usually stall' in the middle of a busy street (typical human mentality - blame the tool)! But, I went against all those popular opinions and decided to give the Indian manufacturer a try... After all, the car offered an amazing package at a great price. But, as they say, never buy a TATA car without power steering. This was very evident from the efforts it took to move the wheel when the engine was off. I just can't imagine how the GLE drivers survive!

Firstly, the interior space in the car is just amazing. Seats are positioned high, adding to the comfort of the passengers. An independent suspension (which arguably no other contender car has) serves you beautifully on the infamous Indian roads. Driving is quite effortless (again, if you have power steering), with silk-smooth gearshifts. That's another area where the car beats WagonR. The ride feels very stable and 'planted' especially at high speeds, which is due to the weight of the car. But the weight is a great disadvantage when you try to race off a signal. The pickup will seem a bit less than other cars in the category, but it's quite OK. The engine comes to life at around 2000 RPM and starts giving off a nice lion roar which I just love to hear. Maruti drivers who are accustomed to sub-1500 levels would feel the engine lifeless.

On the flip side, as a TATA owner you must make up your mind to live with minor imperfections like squeaking door handles and creaking (sometimes) dashboard. I guess we Indians stop at the 'good enough' stage, unlike the Japanese for whom even perfection isn't good enough. But considering the amazing value the car offers, we (as an Indian buyer) must let this go. I must add that till date, in my 3000 km driving (touch wood), I've never faced any issue with the car.

Mileage (the most important criteria for we Indians) is around 12 kmpl... again 'good-enough' for most. I guess it's due to the heaviness of the car, and not due to the engine being any less efficient than the contenders.

The Rs. 25,000 discount from the dealer (and a FREE baggage of goodies worth Rs. 5000) made it a mouthwatering deal. At that time, for the first time, I regretted leaving a large corporate to work in a smaller company, as there was additional (Rs. 8000 or so) discount for employees of top Indian corporates. But all in all, it was a great deal. I bought the GLS petrol model for close to Rs. 3 lakh.

A word on prospective buyers and mileage - Do your math! Consider how much you would travel in a month, and calculate the differential cost. In most cases, paying even Rs. 30,000 more for a car that offers extra 5 kmpl isn't worth it, when these numbers are a bit on the extreme side. We often see people paying over a lakh (100,000) for those 2-3 extra kmpl.
Old 23rd October 2008, 22:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice balanced review.
Its always good to enjoy your car. You've done your maths and I'm glad its worked out well.
Enjoy the drive and keep us updated.
Would love pics.
How did you find the Tata After sales service.
Old 23rd October 2008, 22:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just can't imagine how the GLE drivers survive!
then imagine the plight of the DLE owners, with the heavy diesel engine adding to the load. I once drove a friends '01 DLE , and it was a very weird experience. I stopped after half a kilometer or so since i had no control over the car. ( i was trying to drive it like mine ) He was accustomed to it and had no problems.

Quote:
At that time, for the first time, I regretted leaving a large corporate to work in a smaller company, as there was additional (Rs. 8000 or so) discount for employees of top Indian corporates.
I doubt if the discounts can be clubbed together, so it may not have been as bad after all

Do post pictures of your car. the GLS seemed a very peppy car to drive, and much more nimbler. only that it runs out of breath at the higher revs ( as opposed to my DLG which would only be getting into its act by then )
Old 23rd October 2008, 22:40   #4
BANNED

Nice writeup. Please post pics, and experiences with service centers.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:05   #5
BHPian

I've only done the first service as yet.. So, I guess it's too early to comment on A.S.S. But, I bought it from 'B. U. Bhandari', which is a dealer known for its customer care.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:22   #6
BANNED

Nice review. The GLS is a good buy.

If you love the engine note above 2000 rpm, wait till you hear it above 3000 or 4000 rpm :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks