Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2008, 17:53   #1
BHPian

Head over Heart ..... its an Innova, at last

Hey guys. I’m a bit exited, cos I’m sharing the culmination of a two month research. Hope you don't mind the length of it.

Had posted "Help needed in buying a second-hand car" on 5th Oct, and received some valuable feedback. Thanks Jaggu, Ravibhat, ashthedivx & cooldude1988765.

So here goes .. head over heart ...

After the post, had zeroed in on two vehicles. A two yrs old Elantra and a Safari 3.0 DICOR, 26 months old. Wasn't willing to pay 6.50 for the elantra, thought it was way too much.
With the safari it was a roller coaster ride. Liked this car, negotiated heavily and took it to two mechanics for advise, one of them who works with TASS advised me against a 3.0 for many reasons including that the injectors nozzles are very expensive and that it takes quite a bit of time to resolve any problems that crop up. This was disaster.

Then called up all the showrooms, to inquire if they have any second hand Safari's. Malik motors at banjara hills had two - demo vehicles - went there and found a 10 or 11 month old 2.2 green that had abt 9000 on the odo. Liked the exterior but found the interior alarmingly soiled (was told later that everything will be cleaned up properly). Took this out for a ride, did not enjoy it. After driving the 3.0 quite a bit, this felt it had a left foot. The 3.0 was a lovely peppy engine and this was like an Innova, no fun in driving (no offense to anyone). This was the time I noticed that the Safari lacks basics like proper insulation. I felt the sounds of autos passing by etc., with all the windows up. This was disappointing.
Was earlier given the go ahead for a brand new Safari 2.2 but keeping in mind the resale I didn't want to buy a new one.

This drive kind of lifted the veil of me of brand Safari. (No offense again. Still love this hunk when a well dressed one passes by). Also spoke to the Manager at Malik and he too advised me against the 3.0 - if he hadn't, I probably would have gone with the Red 3.0. So that was it ... finally the desire to own a Safari just vanished when the time came to buy one.
Read a lot on Safari and was ready to live with the niggles (as often quoted here and elsewhere) but the lack of peace of mind, not worth it.

In the meantime, test drove all possible vehicles and Innova was one of them. Hated this vehicle when I took it out the second time for a longer run, considering it was 2.5lt I probably was expecting the sky, keeping in view that the earlier driven car was an Indica. I didn't like the engine, it wasn't peppy, it wasn't fun but was very comfortable. I thought if I ever bought this I'll have to be sitting behind.
Since my requirements was 5-7 seater, thought the Innova was practical, spacious, a Toyota brand, respected after sales & service, trouble free, aka peace of mind. Took some time to think it over.

In the mean time, had zeroed in on a Swift Diesel, (was ready to shell out the 35k premium) thinking I can manage for a few years and then look at the newer models coming by 2010-11, but guess better sense prevailed or that's what I think.

3 days later I'm driving home a brand new Toyota Innova V7 Silver, was having butterflies in my stomach at the showroom but they all settled down by the time I reached home, abt 17 kms.

Initial experience of 300 kms - still maintain its no fun to drive but surprised at the pulling power and the engine does not knock on any gear and the 3rd to 5th gears are quite comfortable for city ride. Has a very comfortable ride and is a mile muncher. It’s just plain, functional and practical. Feel it’s an overpriced car, though.

Didn't have any problems with Radhakrishna Toyota. The staff was top notch.

Thanks guys for reading thru, thanks again to tbhp for all the valuable inputs.
Old 25th October 2008, 19:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

congrats. Whats a V7? is it about the version. Is it a 7 seater or 8 seater.
Old 25th October 2008, 19:23   #3
BHPian

congrats ahmik!!!
i practical choice for sure...post some pics on your ride..
drive safe
Old 25th October 2008, 19:27   #4
BHPian

ahmik, congrats on your new buy; hope it serves you well.
I have extensively driven the safari 3.0 ltr but i got a chance to drive the innova last month and was pleasantly surprised as i was not expecting much in comparison with the safari.
Old 25th October 2008, 19:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you are worried about depreciation, then you did the right thing by buying an Innova. People will line up to buy an used Innova with 1 lakh on the odo.
Old 25th October 2008, 19:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy. Innova is a good vehicle. You could have waited for a couple of months more and you would have got a newer model. Hope you have evaluated the pros and cons thoriughly.

Post some pics.
Old 25th October 2008, 20:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmik View Post
....Innova was practical, spacious, a Toyota brand, respected after sales & service, trouble free, aka peace of mind. Took some time to think it over.
Congrats ahmik!! Innova is not the cutest or best in all respects, but it is a very pratical one and VFM. Best of luck and wish many miles of safe and happy driving Do post some pics
Old 25th October 2008, 21:04   #8
BHPian

ahmik,join the club.i own an innova v 7 seater and i love it.Its a very driver friendly vehicle.Be careful during the run in period.It plays an important role in the vehicle.
Old 25th October 2008, 22:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congrats! Thats very good buy I would say. You won't loose much when you want to sell your Innova If you maintained it neat.

My accident free sold at very good rate couple of days back. When buyer asked me to have it checked in Toyota service Centre I made him check 2 times and every single time A+ was score!

I am impressed by Toyota quality. If I am buying big cars in future I would reconsider Toyota again.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 25th October 2008, 23:07   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy ahmik

We all love Innova but hate the parking lots with those pillars in the cellars and morons who love to kiss our possession with their stunts in B2B traffic.
Old 26th October 2008, 00:33   #11
BHPian

congrats. What about giving us some pictures of your new ride?

I'm surprised you found the Safari 2.2 underpowered compared to the 3.0. I have never driven a 3.0 but understand from others on this forum that the 2.2 is much more driveable in traffic while the 3.0 comes into its own on the highway. But all that is mere conjecture now for you I guess! It is more important that you got a vehicle that suits your particular needs. An Innova is easy to live with and I'm sure you will have a great time.
Old 26th October 2008, 10:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrates buddy, getting a new Innova "V" is indeed a great decision. Though joy if the said decision will be enjoyed not even at the time of ownership but also at the time of re-sale.

Cheers
Old 26th October 2008, 15:32   #13
BHPian

congrats on your new Innova ahmik.
can you post what is the price quoted and any freebies.

thanks
Old 26th October 2008, 20:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
congrats. Whats a V7? is it about the version. Is it a 7 seater or 8 seater.
Its a V spec 7 seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
congrats ahmik!!!
i practical choice for sure...post some pics on your ride..
drive safe
Thanks .. white_dvi ... will def post some pics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1787 View Post
ahmik, congrats on your new buy; hope it serves you well.
I have extensively driven the safari 3.0 ltr but i got a chance to drive the innova last month and was pleasantly surprised as i was not expecting much in comparison with the safari.
Thanks turbo1787 .. but I didn't get you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If you are worried about depreciation, then you did the right thing by buying an Innova. People will line up to buy an used Innova with 1 lakh on the odo.
Lets hope so Mpower .. when I bought the Indica I thought the same .. but 4yrs and a lac on the odo .. no price.. too many of them on road, but I'm sure will get a better deal than a Safari. oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Congrats on the new buy. Innova is a good vehicle. You could have waited for a couple of months more and you would have got a newer model. Hope you have evaluated the pros and cons thoriughly.

Post some pics.
Thanks snaronikar. I did look at some pics on the net of the facelifted version2 of Innova and didn't like it much .. but had to go in for a new car so couldn't wait. Thanks. One Question. How do you upload pics here??? SOrry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Congrats ahmik!! Innova is not the cutest or best in all respects, but it is a very pratical one and VFM. Best of luck and wish many miles of safe and happy driving Do post some pics
Thanks Path_Finder. I agree with the practical one but not sure of VFM. Will post pics when I get to know how I can.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2008 at 22:05. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts within 20mins of each other.
Old 26th October 2008, 20:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
ahmik,join the club.i own an innova v 7 seater and i love it.Its a very driver friendly vehicle.Be careful during the run in period.It plays an important role in the vehicle.
Thanks Manjith. Ur right .. it almost feels like a car. I have not yet crossed 90kmph and usually drive at around 2000rpm, except for sometimes in the 2nd and 3rd gears it might go up further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Hey Congrats! Thats very good buy I would say. You won't loose much when you want to sell your Innova If you maintained it neat.

My accident free sold at very good rate couple of days back. When buyer asked me to have it checked in Toyota service Centre I made him check 2 times and every single time A+ was score!

I am impressed by Toyota quality. If I am buying big cars in future I would reconsider Toyota again.

Regards,

Ravi.
Hey Ravi, thanks. That's impressive. I'm sure I will not be disappointed with the Toyota service. A+?? is this something like a high score?? BTW how many yrs old was this and which is ur next buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
Congrats on your new buy ahmik

We all love Innova but hate the parking lots with those pillars in the cellars and morons who love to kiss our possession with their stunts in B2B traffic.
Thanks TrueDreamer. I got the Hiker footrests and rear guard put, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
congrats. What about giving us some pictures of your new ride?

I'm surprised you found the Safari 2.2 underpowered compared to the 3.0. I have never driven a 3.0 but understand from others on this forum that the 2.2 is much more driveable in traffic while the 3.0 comes into its own on the highway. But all that is mere conjecture now for you I guess! It is more important that you got a vehicle that suits your particular needs. An Innova is easy to live with and I'm sure you will have a great time.
Thanks Stranger. Will def put some pics.
I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that the 2.2 had done only 9000 and had many services remaining and the 3.0 had abt 65k on it. Both these were driven in city with a fair amount of open roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Congrates buddy, getting a new Innova "V" is indeed a great decision. Though joy if the said decision will be enjoyed not even at the time of ownership but also at the time of re-sale.

Cheers
Hey Ashish, thanks mate. Sure hope so ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezereo View Post
congrats on your new Innova ahmik.
can you post what is the price quoted and any freebies.

thanks
Thanks mezereo. So u have a hyd and a warangal reg vehicle?
I paid 12.78 on road, (@12 percent road tax), got a 45k cash rebate and mud flaps, floor mats and the muffler cutter as freebies.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2008 at 22:05. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts within 20mins of each other.

Most Viewed