Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 13:40   #121
BHPian

Thanks Ym-enjn for clarifying. I too have gone at 120kmph and have never felt that the car steering was too light/smooth for that speed. Many people keep praising about hydraulic steering, and they have also been mentioning that the EPS in Altis has taken away the driving pleasure. After having driven my Altis for about 2500kms, I am glad that Altis has EPS and not hydraulic steering. Most of my driving is in city traffic and with EPS, it is just so easy to manuever. And on highways, again it equally pleasurable to drive
Old 13th July 2009, 15:39   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish123 View Post
Thanks Ym-enjn for clarifying. I too have gone at 120kmph and have never felt that the car steering was too light/smooth for that speed. Many people keep praising about hydraulic steering, and they have also been mentioning that the EPS in Altis has taken away the driving pleasure. After having driven my Altis for about 2500kms, I am glad that Altis has EPS and not hydraulic steering. Most of my driving is in city traffic and with EPS, it is just so easy to manuever. And on highways, again it equally pleasurable to drive
Very correct, its an awesome car on highways and driving is a pleasure. Once we decided to go sightseeing on Sunday till Water palace and Amber fort on Delhi Road in Jaipur. Me with wife and two young kids one of them 6 months old. We started at around 12 noon from our home in South Jaipur. We enjoyed the drive so much that we kept going further and further and finally reached delhi, had famous "Chola Bhatura" at Karol Bagh and came back to Jaipur the same day..
Old 15th July 2009, 00:30   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

At barely 3000kms the Altis is showing some signs of flimsy fit & finish.
There is a vibration sound from the center console, seems like the vibration is emerging from the slush box. This happens at around 2000rpm and reduces as I build up the revs.
Even the side silver strips on the center console make sqeaky sounds when pressed. Seems like the plastics don't fit too well in their place. In addition there is a slight rattle from the rear parcel tray.
These plastic quality issues are not expected from a 14 lakh car! Will be sending the car to the dealer soon to rectify these faults.

Last edited by Sahil : 15th July 2009 at 00:33.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:12   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Very correct, its an awesome car on highways and driving is a pleasure. Once we decided to go sightseeing on Sunday till Water palace and Amber fort on Delhi Road in Jaipur. Me with wife and two young kids one of them 6 months old. We started at around 12 noon from our home in South Jaipur. We enjoyed the drive so much that we kept going further and further and finally reached delhi, had famous "Chola Bhatura" at Karol Bagh and came back to Jaipur the same day..
Well, my weekdend outings too have increased since I bought Altis. Now, I am re-discovering all places around Bangalore. I sometime wonder, buying a new car (and that too a great car) can really change your lifestyle.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:36   #125
BHPian

Abridged Review of Altis AT @ 7500km

I had bought the Altis AT in April this year and have clocked about 7500kms till now (60% city, 40% highway). Penning down my experiences till now :-

A) Ride & Handling : SMOOTH .... the only word I can think of. Eat up the bumps and overcomes the speed breakers of Delhi/Gurgaon/Noida with ease. Steering is on the lighter side, but trust me, in city drive is a boon.
Cornering is not its forte but does well on lower speeds. On the Highway (on speeds in excess of 150) it does get a little shaky by the strong wind currents (assuming this happens with most cars)

B) Pick up : Pretty darn good. Even on an AT, the lower end torque is quite satisfactory. Its a different thing that the immediate release of torque on reversing needs practise. I have touched 180 on the highway and thus the AT box is competent. However, unless you push the pedal hard, there is gradual increase in speed over 140kmph.

C) Mileage : (The car has been driven with Aircon on thoughout) The Avg. fuel consumption meter shows 11.7kmpl. Tankful to Tankful : highway mileage is 12.6 and city is about 10.4 .

D) Other mentionable comfort features :
Rear legroom space, power seats, HID lamps, Cruise control - SPLENDID
Vanity mirror with lights, Small storage spaces - Good
Head lamp washers - Useless

Since the Skoda was completely ruled out (after reading what happened to Harish), the Civic & Altis were formidable contenders. Ground clearance and Mileage went in favour for the Altis (other features were an ADD ON).
Besides, met this guy with 146K on the ODO of his Corolla and nothing other than the odo reading could have made me believe that (the engine still churned out a spirited drive)

Cons :
A) Kick Down : The AT does a "kick down" to the lower gear for minor bursts of torque !!! Even on the top gear & at a speed of 120, it goes down to the lower gear - nearly redlines - shifts back to the top gear to accelerate. I would never do that while driving a Manual at high speeds. Guess I need to be more adaptive to the ECU range for depressing the pedal.

B) Engine Noise : I like the engine grunt only till it reaches 4k on the RPM meter. Post that, I find it reminding me of my TATA indigo (exaggerating a little bit, but I just dont appreciate mild howling of the engine).

Others :
A) CD system gone Kaput - The CD system went bad about a week back displaying "Error 3", thankfully the radio is working well. Will get it sorted this weekend.

B) Brakes : On hard braking, it seems to work more effectively if I depress the brake pedal - release partially - depress again !!! Not sure if this is how the brakes work better or whether its a defect. ( OT -Guess it likes a little humping)

Overall, Quite a satisfactory experience of owning the Altis. Guess its a perfect car for a well mannered driver (commonly referred as "sedated") with a competent engine and above average mileage.

Cheers

Last edited by sidwadia : 17th July 2009 at 15:36. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 18th July 2009, 13:03   #126
BHPian

Thats a real good review Sid. The mileage of 10 for city with aircon on is really great. That too on auto transmission mode.
Old 20th July 2009, 21:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwadia View Post
I had bought the Altis AT in April this year and have clocked about 7500kms till now (60% city, 40% highway). Penning down my experiences till now :-

Cheers
thats spot on. I used to drive a corolla Altis AT back in the US . my impressions about the car were very close to your views. a sense of Deja Vu. i used to get 32 MPG ( 12 kmpl) regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
Corolla Altis AT- Test drive-img_3707.jpg  

Corolla Altis AT- Test drive-img_3708.jpg  

Corolla Altis AT- Test drive-img_3983.jpg  

Corolla Altis AT- Test drive-img_4216.jpg  

Old 21st July 2009, 13:29   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
thats spot on. I used to drive a corolla Altis AT back in the US . my impressions about the car were very close to your views. a sense of Deja Vu. i used to get 32 MPG ( 12 kmpl) regularly.
Looks awesome buddy. Wonder why don't they bring in the black color in India :(

I will get my Altis tonight Will post pics after upgrading the leather.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:46   #129
BHPian

Great to read your experiences with Altis

Quote:
A) Ride & Handling : SMOOTH .... the only word I can think of. Eat up the bumps and overcomes the speed breakers of Delhi/Gurgaon/Noida with ease.
True, that's the only reason why I did not go for a Civic...

Quote:
B) Pick up
Quote:
: Pretty darn good. Even on an AT, the lower end torque is quite satisfactory. Its a different thing that the immediate release of torque on reversing needs practise.
What about city-driving the manual version in third gear at 20Km per hour? I doubt if the Civic can manage it Altis is awesome for city as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Besides, met this guy with 146K on the ODO of his Corolla and nothing other than the odo reading could have made me believe that (the engine still churned out a spirited drive)
Corolla's are build to last and the DOHC engine can really last long. Civic still sports a SOHC engine that many Civic fans don't talk about. Altis is build to last for 200,000km without any engine trouble.

Quote:
B) Brakes : On hard braking, it seems to work more effectively if I depress the brake pedal - release partially - depress again !!! Not sure if this is how the brakes work better or whether its a defect. ( OT -Guess it likes a little humping
You are not supposed to pump the brakes when it has ABS support. Just give a big push that's what I hear from experts.

Cheers and still awaiting the Altis G !
Old 24th July 2009, 00:42   #130
BHPian

@edassery: Hope you got your Altis delivered pal. Hows it doing?
Old 24th July 2009, 06:55   #131
Senior - BHPian

nice looking ride 14000rpm. Pity they dont offer it in black here.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:01   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edassery View Post
Corolla's are build to last and the DOHC engine can really last long. Civic still sports a SOHC engine that many Civic fans don't talk about. Altis is build to last for 200,000km without any engine trouble.
The number of camshafts have nothing to do with the life of an engine. That is just grabbing at the straws to justify your purchase. A DOHC engine can produce more power because variable valve timing tech can be employed much more effectively.

I'd like to ask - with a DOHC engine, the Altis still makes the same power as the Honda's SOHC. I wonder why... I should start talking about that more often.

Anyway, 'gratz on your purchase! Please do post about your ownership experience.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 24th July 2009 at 10:03.
Old 11th August 2009, 17:02   #133
BHPian

Altis, Laura & Civic

There could be several variables with numerous permutations and combinations of cause and effects on vehicles NVH and performance issues and technically -non consequential things like aesthetics and rattling etc. No matter what sales figures may indicate - even after so many months of its launch , the car still looks fresh on the road. The lines are so neat and almost all joints look like flush fitted. from a non-owner perspective- to me it rocks- fortunately one of my close friends has bought it and sometimes I take it for a spin. Compared to my Laura, i find too few rattles in Altis. of course, I have souped up Laura but both cars are driven hard and crossed approx. 10K now.

Only difference I find in both the cars is the fuel, sunroof and steering control stalks for lights and wiper else, there are many other similarities and there are times when I feel , if I dont keep my Luara for minimum 7-8 years and drive 2.5 Lakhs kms, I will have no benefit in terms of money spent for 6 speed DSG and diesel engine - over a Corolla Altis.

Surprisingly though another friend has bought a used black Civic and these days I find her equally attractive and inviting.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:16   #134
Senior - BHPian

Altis Diesel

any idea when will Altis Diesel be launched in india? one of my friends want to buy Diesel Altis
Old 18th August 2009, 22:20   #135
BHPian

10k update - Altis AT

Well the car has done 10k and completed its 2nd service.

Pros :
- Still love the SMOOOOOTH drive
- The braking is effective enough with a single thrust
- The EPS is a boon in city drive and fun on the highway
- HID lights keep you relaxed whilst driving at night on the highway
- Low end torque will bring a smile to your face whenever u want to teach
an ill-mannered driver a lesson

Cons :
- As mentioned earlier, this kickdown business is irritating at times. I simply fail to understand why should a AT always kickdown at speeds in
excess of 120kmph !!! how the hell can I make the ECU understand that I want to overtake on the top gear itself...

Others :
- I quite liked red lining the car on the highway, and trust me, it doesnt dissapoint you.
- The "DUH - Moose effect" period : Well i quite dont know how to explain this, but "Moose" from Archie Comics would be of some help. Sometimes when I depress the pedal hard to accelerate fast, the car goes into (what I call ) the "DUH - Moose effect" for a second or so and then responds to the need of the driver. It actually seems like :-
"I am ZAPPED.................... DUH...............processing command ........................ Dunno why these stupid junkies need sudden speed........... well lets give it to them anyways" !
- Still dont like the grunt of the engine above 4k RPM. It is Loud.

IIRC, the servicing charges were about 1500/- (including pick up & drop) and was done within 4 hours.

The Average Mileage has come down to 10.8 kmpl post a trip to Himachal Pradesh, where as a tankful to Tankful (Delhi to Ajmer & back) was 12.3kmpl (with aircon on).

So far, I am quite happy with the car and hope to retain it for a long long time.
Cheers

Most Viewed