Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 20:25   #1
BHPian

Swift LDI Report - Lucknow to Noida/Indirapuram

Purchase
----------
We needed to buy our first car, for a family of two and it was hard not to go to Swift or Dzire due to the backing of Maruti, almost assured service centers nationwide and the capabilities of Swift itself in terms of performance, looks and mileage. All dealers in Noida were having a waiting time of 3-6 months on the diesel model of Swift. Yes, me and my wife both reasoned that we need a diesel because of the hopefully good mileage and ofcource the much lesser fuel cost(as of writing diesel is about Rs. 36 per liter here in Noida).

We found a dealer in Lucknow who had by chance a single piece available in the exact color we needed which could be delivered earlier. So, we decided to buy the car from Lucknow and drive it back to Noida. So we soon bought the Silky White Swift LDI from Lucknow. The on road cost came to be about 5.3 lakhs. We had to drive from Lucknow to Noida, so thought we would also get some basic essentials installed so got a music system, Autocop, reverse lock and lighter point with phone charging points installed to better enjoy the ride.

The Trip
------------
Next day from Diwali, me, my brother and my parents started the journey in the afternoon. For me the engine sound was very different as I had always been in petrol cars. For me the engine noise was a bit more rough than I would have liked, but perhaps I would get used to it. Dad and brother told me that this sound was normal and was due to the fine tuned, but diesel engine. Within the few days in Lucknow itself I was worried about a level of knocking in the engine coming around 1st and specially 2nd gear. We were told from Maruti that this would go away as the engine starts getting used.

Anyway, we filled the tank to full and started the journey. We could fit one full sized suitcase, one strolley and a hand/shoulder bag in the boot. I had driven WagonR a lot earlier and Swift came out to be a pleasant feel after that. The car had superb response and pickup, very smooth and crisp steering, excellent breaks and superb ride. It sure met all what we had in mind.

The AC was very capable and in fact quite chilling and effective. We had to turn it down. What was noticing for me was that unlike WagonR, we didn’t feel the engine skip a beat when the AC was turned on during driving. Swift’s engine sure was powerful enough. Also, overtaking was a breeze, and for extra power turning off the AC was really not required.

We noticed that the car engine had some idling power (for lack of words). I mean that even with no accelerator pressed, the car was moving with enough speed that on real bad roads we had to use breaks, even without using the accelerator. NOT sure if this is expected or the car needs tuning.

Towards the mid of journey, my brother noticed that the car has a tendency to steer left slowly. Will get it checked in the first service. We had a night halt at Bareilly and next morning we continued the journey to Indirapuram, Ghaziabad.

Mileage
------------
The total distance covered was about 525 km, and on reaching home we refilled fuel worth about Rs. 900. So the running cost came to be about Rs. 2 per km, with a mileage of about 21. We were 4 people sitting, fully loaded with luggage and using AC.

Afterhours
-------------

Today, about 3 days after the journey and at about 800 KM, I can say that the knocking has almost gone. So this problem should soon get resolved and after first service, which is due this 16th, would see what is my in city mileage. Fingers crossed, and best of luck to me
Old 4th November 2008, 10:13   #2
BHPian

Added some snaps of my car in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift LDI Report - Lucknow to Noida/Indirapuram-21.jpg  

Swift LDI Report - Lucknow to Noida/Indirapuram-3.jpg  

Swift LDI Report - Lucknow to Noida/Indirapuram-5.jpg  

Swift LDI Report - Lucknow to Noida/Indirapuram-61.jpg  

Swift LDI Report - Lucknow to Noida/Indirapuram-10.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th November 2008, 11:07   #3
BHPian

And thanks to my brother for those snaps!

Sorry Mods, but not able to find the edit link for my last message.
Old 4th November 2008, 22:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice report. Was the left mirror an accessory fitted later or have they started giving that now with the LDi.
Old 4th November 2008, 22:23   #5
BHPian

Left mirror now comes as standard equipment on all Swifts. Thank God. Now all they need to do is include tachos as standard equipment on all cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Nice report. Was the left mirror an accessory fitted later or have they started giving that now with the LDi.
Old 4th November 2008, 22:30   #6
BHPian

Nice write up there skumar..
and u got great FE figures too.
Congrats for your new SWIFT!
Old 4th November 2008, 22:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Firstly Congratulations on your swift.What a car.Yummy.
One more query.I have seen swifts with body coloured rear view mirrors on both side.Is it just an addition to the rear part of the mirror or the entire mirror assembly has to be purrchased ? how much does it cost?
Old 4th November 2008, 23:24   #8
BHPian

@ humyum : it is painted. nothing that you have to purchase. just go to any MASS or trusted painter/workshop and ask him to color them.
Old 5th November 2008, 06:35   #9
BHPian

nice write up and cool pics too.im sure you will be savoring every moment with the 4 wheeled beauty.
Old 5th November 2008, 11:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
yeah, they now give the left mirror as standard fitting.

Thanks for the comments everybody.
Old 5th November 2008, 13:19   #11
BHPian

Thats a great piece of car buddy, Yet another DDIS on the Forum and its increasing day by day. Cheers SWIFT DDIS. Congrats pal !!

Could you post some pics of the ICE. Hope you are not revving the engine much now for the running in.
Old 5th November 2008, 15:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the new SwiftD. I am also in the stage of buying a second car and have honed down to Swift D but the terrible waiting periods are putting me off. I may go buy an i10

Btw, you mentioned silky white as your car color. But, in the pictures it looks silver to me
Old 5th November 2008, 21:48   #13
BHPian

Nice Report skumar69!! The Swift is a beauty with the DDIS engine. Good choice. I am also enjoying the DDIS engine. Take care of the beast in her and pamper it. You will be rewarded with awesome mileage
Old 6th November 2008, 11:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Thats a great piece of car buddy, Yet another DDIS on the Forum and its increasing day by day. Cheers SWIFT DDIS. Congrats pal !!

Could you post some pics of the ICE. Hope you are not revving the engine much now for the running in.
Sure, here are the snaps(again, courtesy my brother ) of :

Sony XPLOD MEX-BT3600U and JBL GT5-652 boxes.

Will post snap of the actual HU perhaps by tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift LDI Report - Lucknow to Noida/Indirapuram-sony_deck.jpg  

Swift LDI Report - Lucknow to Noida/Indirapuram-speakers.jpg  

Old 30th November 2008, 16:23   #15
BHPian

nice review!! kindly post the pics of the ICE.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks