Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 23:13   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
@ gangsta, why not just 'emergency braking' . they need not be the same as emergency brakes !
yeah "Emergency Braking" anyways forget it.
Old 28th November 2008, 23:19   #257
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Thank you for telling me, then when a person do a very hard braking under emergency situation, what it is called?
I think it would be called "Very hard braking under emergency situation".
Old 29th November 2008, 04:17   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Thats really strange. I had very hard braking in my Accent and Elantra many times on the highway. few times 150+ kmph hard braking on elantra. Accent 120+ kmph many times. Both the cars never skids and infact 3-4 times, i did steer the car hard while braking and in full control.
If you didn't skid, you probably were not braking hard enough, or the brakes were not good. It is just simple physics, when the wheels are locked, they can't roll anymore and the car skids, offering no control or response to steering inputs.

btw, why is this thread titled so? Ripped - I can understand, but tortured?
Old 29th November 2008, 04:45   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
If you didn't skid, you probably were not braking hard enough, or the brakes were not good. It is just simple physics, when the wheels are locked, they can't roll anymore and the car skids, offering no control or response to steering inputs.

I think both his cars are ABS equipped.
Old 29th November 2008, 06:13   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Ooopsie !. Sorry then, egangsta.
Old 29th November 2008, 09:11   #261
BHPian

Quote:

lol. I said braked hard as i can.. well..!!
Accent GLS = ABS + front Disc brakes + rear drum.
Elantra CRDi = ABS + BAS + EBD + TCS + all wheel disc + 205 wide tyres. >> result: Ahem Superb Braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Yup right.
Quote:
Ooopsie !. Sorry then, egangsta.
Hey! don't be. Relax mate. Cheers cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think it would be called "Very hard braking under emergency situation".
lol means we all tbhpians have to write "Very hard braking under emergency situation" if they tells anything about emergency braking. --> someone corrected my "Emergency Brakes" Keyphrase to "Emergency Braking".

# I was coming from the office and i had a very hard braking under emergency situation. Then due to very hard braking under emergency situation the guy was saved. The car is equipped with ABS or bla bla and the car didnt slipped off the road during very hard braking under emergency situation.
or
# I was coming from the office and i had emergency braking. then because i had emergency braking the guy was saved. The car is equipped with ABS or bla bla and the car didnt slipped off the road during Emergency Braking.

Which of the above sentence makes more sense and looks good?
1st sentence: No sense.
2nd one: makes some sense.

So, please make some sense before commenting mate, Pointing out on other's typo, write some creative things.

Last edited by Gangsta : 29th November 2008 at 09:20.
Old 29th November 2008, 21:42   #262
BHPian

Had a TD at Sagar, Bannerghatta Rd, today. Here is my report.

The car actually looks alright. Or, rather you convince yourself that it is not as bad as you might have thought it was. But you keep relooking at it from all the possible angles again and again to convince yourself more, that it indeed looks alright.

Exterior:
It is a very small car. When you stand by it's side, the roof towards the end of the car comes below the level of your chest! Cute - that is in other terms.
The side profile resembles I10. The curvature, the headlamp cluster, the lines. They all are similar to I10. The front - looks ok. The rear looks better than the front. But in my opinion it lacks a definitive shape.

Interiors:
The lighter tone of the two tone interior lets you down big time. Really looks cheap. The darker tone is alright. The rear door doesnt have two tone and it makes you feel work half done. The overall dash design is also alright though not a "WOW" one. The revv counter on the right side doesnt gel with the dash. It doesnt give you a factory fit feeling because it does not carry the similarity of the air con vent which is by it's side. The interiors all in all is mediocre to good. But there are a lot of places where "cost cutting" leaves it's scar.

Space:
Again a let down. The front seats are extremely good. They are great at under thigh support. The seats are sort of tilted towards back. Imagine your regular car seat is tilted by and angle of 30-30 degrees towards back on it;s hinge. Your seating posture is like your thighs are making almost 45 degrees to the floor of the car.
The boot is amazingly small. One airbag and you are done. Looks like the boot was not designed for this car. Some space remained after the rear seat got over and you can place a bag over there.
Rear is cramped. Period.

Ride/Handling/Engine/Brakes:
Thats a big plus. Did not expect this to be this good. We were four in the car and it pulled up quite nicely. Engine is agile. Steering is light enough and I liked the clutch. Short range. Gear is a good plus. Nice and crisp. Rest all is already said by all others. All in all, the driver feels good to drive this car. Brakes are good enough though I did not stress test.

Certainly this car is not recommended for "Maruti" families who need space. Rest all is quite ok with the car.

Last edited by penpavan : 29th November 2008 at 21:50.
Old 29th November 2008, 22:44   #263
BHPian

Gr8 job Penpavan! Thats one of the best TD summary i have read about A-Star. Compact, meaningful yet misses out nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Exterior:
It is a very small car. When you stand by it's side, the roof towards the end of the car comes below the level of your chest!

Whats your height! ?

Interiors:
The rear door doesnt have two tone and it makes you feel work half done. The overall dash design is also alright though not a "WOW" one. The revv counter on the right side doesnt gel with the dash. It doesnt give you a factory fit feeling because it does not carry the similarity of the air con vent which is by it's side.

Good observations

Ride/Handling/Engine/Brakes:
Thats a big plus. Did not expect this to be this good. We were four in the car and it pulled up quite nicely. Engine is agile. Steering is light enough and I liked the clutch. Short range. Gear is a good plus. Nice and crisp. Rest all is already said by all others. All in all, the driver feels good to drive this car.

Very True. From what i have gathered Ride, Handling and ease of driving(for front seat occupants) is one of the strongest points of this car
Thanks for the report

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 29th November 2008 at 22:45.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:11   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Whats your height! ?

Elito
That's an important missing data!

I am 5'10. Hence the car is really short
Old 1st December 2008, 18:18   #265
BHPian

went to see A-Star today !!

Hey everyone,
Here are my 2 cents on the A-Star. Went to see it in the showroom and wanted to have a test drive too but unfortunately it was out already and the salesman said it wouldn't come back before 40-45 minutes.

So I basically got to see the Azure grey VXi A-Star on display there. I was amazed to see it from the front and looks surprisingly better than the pics for sure. IMHO it looks better than the Alto with new headlamps and a slightly different shape.

Now for the interesting bit, I am only 5'2 tall and I sat inside the car and my first thought which I said aloud was "God, this car is small !!! the dashboard really is pesky and keeps coming in the line of sight. (I drive a Verna CRDi and the dashboard is not so high and protruding)"
Sat inside the car for 5-6 minutes observing every detail and it surely looks better than the Alto with a Swift derived steering & gear knob. Nice little cubby holes to put mobiles and wallets etc etc.
Then I realised something that my neck started to ache a little and the driving position was not right or something. For sure the integrated headrests have a really really awkward angle for short people and is not convenient at all.
Pushing the seat all the way towards the back and behold there is actually no room ..... I mean it "actually no room for a child of 7-10 years to put his feet" which is sincerely ridiculous and I stood there wondering how this could happen so the salesman asked me "kya hua sir .... gaadi achi nahi lagi ??" and I asked him why is there no legroom at the back ?? sat inside and showed him how cramped a short person like me could get inside the car and for sure in 1-2 hours max. I would get claustrophobic for sure. I could not move my feet for God's sake !!!! So he cleverly answers me "Sir, this car is meant for just couples and kids". So I told him then Maruti might as well have kept a 2 door like the concept with a bigger boot at least. This 4 door has enough room to keep a water jug, glasses and a tray of sandwiches in the boot. Good enough for a evening picnic. The next thing I asked him was "don't couples have friends who would probably want to sit in the back ??" Got no answer from him except a shrug and a sigh. Probably I had hit the nail on the head.

Shall post more after the test drive. I know the above has been more or less similar to other posts but seriously I was a contender on buying the A-Star for my wife and we need a third car in the family. Already have a Verna CRDi and Santro Xing XS. These are just my honest thoughts on how disappointed I was.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:32   #266
Senior - BHPian

I saw the car, I am 5.6' there is too little leg room behind.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:53   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
I saw the car, I am 5.6' there is too little leg room behind.
then what will happen to me (6.1 in height)
Also is the front leg room ok?
Old 1st December 2008, 19:04   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
then what will happen to me (6.1 in height)
Also is the front leg room ok?
Surely not the car for you. You would be better off in a Alto / Wagon R from the Maruti stable or a car from the Hyundai stable would be better for sure
Old 1st December 2008, 19:32   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_guy555 View Post
Surely not the car for you. You would be better off in a Alto / Wagon R from the Maruti stable or a car from the Hyundai stable would be better for sure
Was just kidding as this surely is not my kinda car since day one. The ones i am interested in currently are mentioned in my signature
Old 1st December 2008, 23:19   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Was just kidding as this surely is not my kinda car since day one. The ones i am interested in currently are mentioned in my signature
LOL I meant your kind of height in general.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks