Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 16:50   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I am planning to buy an A-Star Zxi next year when I am back in India (apr-may).

with ABS, airbag + 15 kmpl FE is a good package I believe,

but I am concerned about the rear leg space and boot vol, Can someone post pics showing leg space and boot vol.(I am 5'6" but few of my friends are 5'10"+).
also expecting some detailed report on ABS in this car.

what is the corporate discount offer on A-Star now ?

It will sell like hot cake if they offer ex-showroom 4L for Zxi variant.
Well if its just gonna be you or you + 1 more person then go for it. Rear space is very limited so if there are many people in your family then there are better alternatives (read i10 )

Zxi ex-showroom is around 4.1 lac only! As it is a new car there are hardly any discounts!
Old 5th December 2008, 18:06   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well if its just gonna be you or you + 1 more person then go for it. Rear space is very limited so if there are many people in your family then there are better alternatives (read i10 )

Zxi ex-showroom is around 4.1 lac only! As it is a new car there are hardly any discounts!
disclaimer: I have booked A*.

We all have been discussing the rear-space in the A* since the last 2 weeks and the biggest negative had been the lack of rear space. However, I was wondering if it is really too less, so as to spark so much discussion. So I again went to the showroom today with the inch-tape and took some measurements, mostly vis-a-vis the wagon-r. Here are my results:

the rear-seat width (from door to door) is 3 inches wider than wagonr. it seems its easier to fit 3 people in a* than in wagonr.

the rear-seat legspace is same as wagon-r (this was assuming that I first sat in the front seats, adjusted to same level of comfortable seating.

the rear-seat head space is 6-7 inches more for wagon-r.

the boot for wagon-r is much much bigger.

In summary, I think only head-space and boot are the real problems, not seating per se. Considering the fact that wagonr is supposed to be most spacious car (in the smaller segment), A* actually does not do really bad even in the rear-seating.
Old 5th December 2008, 18:12   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

Thank you for your feedback Joslicx

Yea..it is going to be mostly 1+1, weekend get together with friends and some occasional short trips.

my req:
1) I am going to drive it in Bangalore so good FE is must
2) Don't want to compromise on safety (ABS+Airbag)
3) OTR price max 4.5 lacs +10-15K for ICE
34 decent look
5) decent space

and one qtn - does zxi variant comes with alloy wheels?

and regarding i10 - fell in love with the i10 sports (red)after seeing 'subbusos' thread in this forum, but somehow it does not meet some of my key requirements.
Old 5th December 2008, 20:34   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yea..it is going to be mostly 1+1, weekend get together with friends and some occasional short trips.

my req:
1) I am going to drive it in Bangalore so good FE is must
2) Don't want to compromise on safety (ABS+Airbag)
3) OTR price max 4.5 lacs +10-15K for ICE
34 decent look
5) decent space

and one qtn - does zxi variant comes with alloy wheels?
If its mostly just 1+1 then boss go for it! Its the best small car under 4.5 lacs in India for 2 people. Front legroom is amazing and seats are very comfortable (although some people didnt like the headrests).

Zxi on road here in Delhi is 4.4 lakhs. It has everything save alloys. I dont know if you would need to do anything for ICE as it already has a nice music player and 4 speakers (unless you are absolute music freak, the OE ones are good enough). One key thing is speakers are fitted in the doors so rear parcel tray can be removed in case you want to put big bags in boot. This is something not possible in an Alto or Santro. So you can have some extra boot space when required, say on a trip or something. The rear seats also can be completely folded in case even more space is required.

Note: Dont try to stuff 3 friends at the back and plan a trip to Ooty! You'll accumulate more expletives in one trip than you have in your entire life

Quote:
Originally Posted by enter View Post
disclaimer: I have booked A*.

We all have been discussing the rear-space in the A* since the last 2 weeks and the biggest negative had been the lack of rear space. However, I was wondering if it is really too less, so as to spark so much discussion. So I again went to the showroom today with the inch-tape and took some measurements, mostly vis-a-vis the wagon-r. Here are my results:

the rear-seat width (from door to door) is 3 inches wider than wagonr. it seems its easier to fit 3 people in a* than in wagonr.

the rear-seat legspace is same as wagon-r (this was assuming that I first sat in the front seats, adjusted to same level of comfortable seating.

the rear-seat head space is 6-7 inches more for wagon-r.

the boot for wagon-r is much much bigger.

In summary, I think only head-space and boot are the real problems, not seating per se. Considering the fact that wagonr is supposed to be most spacious car (in the smaller segment), A* actually does not do really bad even in the rear-seating.
Well point was you cant compare with cars like i10 or Indica!!! I tried to sit in behind (I am 5'9) after setting front seat to my comfort position and I found rear a bit cramped! Just like my Alto! Also one more (even worse thing) was tiny window that gives a very claustrophobic feel! Even Alto is better in that respect.
But personally thats not a concern for me as I am still single! For me its the front seat that matters more...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th December 2008 at 19:29. Reason: see note in post
Old 6th December 2008, 22:00   #305
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody please tell me the OTR price of Zxi variant in Bangalore?
I checked maruti site - shows Ex-sh price 4.13 lacs.

I know ROAD tax is very high in bangalore

please someone post the OTR price & break-up
Old 7th December 2008, 00:12   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody please tell me the OTR price of Zxi variant in Bangalore?
ZXi Solid: 480163
ZXi Metallic: 483896

For the interest of other guys interested in A-star:
VXi Solid: 437316
VXi Metallic: 441048
LXi Solid: 405871
LXi Metallic: 409604
Old 7th December 2008, 00:54   #307
BHPian

Quote:

5) decent space
Did you saw the A* ? Almost there is no Boot Space. Even you cant keep one midsize suitcase. Back seat are more or less like a Child Seat.
Old 7th December 2008, 02:12   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
ZXi Solid: 480163
ZXi Metallic: 483896

For the interest of other guys interested in A-star:
VXi Solid: 437316
VXi Metallic: 441048
LXi Solid: 405871
LXi Metallic: 409604
Thanks Blue Pulsar, I am planning Zxi metallic , but 4.84 OTR price seems to e bit high for car of this size, hope Maruti offer some discount by mar-apr next year. I am OK with 4.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Did you saw the A* ? Almost there is no Boot Space. Even you cant keep one midsize suitcase. Back seat are more or less like a Child Seat.
No Sowmya, I am in US. My only source of information about A-Star is Team-BHP. decent boot is OK with me.
Old 7th December 2008, 09:34   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
See apparently it looks like boot is small. But actually thing is A* has provision for speakers in the rear doors so your rear parcel tray is free and can be easily lifted off to create additional space in the boot. So if you remove the rear parcel tray than you can easily fit 2 suitcases there (even big ones in standing position).
Please try to go to Maruti and see for yourself!!!
Old 7th December 2008, 09:47   #310
BHPian

hey guys, m going for a TD of the A-star and i10 1.1 both today!! will post my review on this thread by the evening... WATCH THIS SPACE!! always wanted to say that!! :P
Old 8th December 2008, 19:27   #311
BANNED

Comparing A-Star and i10 by price and cost of ownership wise, A-Star has the advantage, by considering the following:

1) Cost of the fully loaded car is less for A-Star.
2) Fuel-efficiency of A-Star is more than i10.
3) Cost of spare parts will be less for A-Star.
4) Resale value of A-Star will be more than i10, considering it is a Maruti.

Comparing the rear leg space and boot, i10 has the advantage.

Feature wise, both cars offer the same, but A-Star gives it for lesser cost.

Build quality of both of these cars are almost equal.

Brand value of both these brands are same among Indian buyers.

i10 has 4-cylinder engine, while A-Star has 3-cylinder engine. So, i10 will be much smoother, going by the engine technology.

Stability and ride quality of both the cars are same in City, but because of the wider stance, A-Star has slight advantage in highways.

Overall, I'll prefer A-Star.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th December 2008 at 19:39.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:53   #312
Senior - BHPian

very good comparison there romeo. Agree to most of what to say except maybe two points:
1. Resale value: i10 should also have excellent resale value (by the way which i10 are you talking about? 1.1 or 1.2?)
2. Build quality: While reliability of a Maruti is beyond doubt, if we talk about quality of fit and finish than I think Hyundai is a bit ahead.

That said, I also think if I had to buy a car for 4.5 lacs (on road Delhi) than I will go for Astar Zxi.
Old 9th December 2008, 09:41   #313
Senior - BHPian

Zxi variant will cost 4L ex. showroom after the 4% CENVAT reduction - this is a good news for me

when I checked on the road price of Zxi in Kerala and Karnataka I found a difference of around 25K. I will be driving it in Bangalore and visiting my home (Kerala) once in 3 months. I am thinking whether to buy in Kerala or Karnataka.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:31   #314
Senior - BHPian

Whats the exact on-road price of ZXi in NCR now, with CENVAT reduction ?
Old 9th December 2008, 11:34   #315
mxx
BHPian

Hello everyone.
I finally got to test drive AStar. So here is my perpective based on TD.
Please note that the other cars I have driven in same segment(w.r.t price) is WagonR and i10 1.1. So, comparisons to these are inevitable.
Styling:
I dont know if this should be even discussed because it depends on individuals. But here is my opinion.
I think the external styling is not bad, has a little sporty touch. It looks much better than what is seen in photographs.
Interior:
Interior is what I liked better. Though it does not have a luxurious feel, it has a sporty styling. The quality of materials is just ok, but i did not expect anything better. Though i felt the tacho a little out of place, does not blend in with the rest of the things. And I could not read the tacho if my hand is above 3 o'clock position(but that is also depended on your seating position)
The factory fitted music system looks good, and sound is ok for a car of this price range.
The front seats are good and comfortable.
Rear seats, as u already know, are cramped and boot space not of much use.
Performance:
Now, I was impressed, it was much better than I expected, especially after reading some bad reviews here. For a 3 cyl, 1L engine, I wont complain, because its performance is actually better wagonR which has a much bigger engine but not as good as that of i10. For normal city driving, you might not even feel the difference in low end torque compared to i10 1.1(though i do not deny that it does not exist). Only 2 people(including me) in the car with a/c on while TD.
Ride/Handling :
As a city car, handling is quite good. Ride is ok. One thing I noticed is that due to its lower stance you are confident of pushing it more, unlike the tall boys. Though it is a pure city car, it will do quite good on occasional highway drive(considering both handling and performance). I havnt done a TD on highway.
Braking:
Braking was good, but i cant comment more because I did not try emergency braking.

Overall:
As a city car, this is good car.
If you are looking to buy a small hatch, you should not miss a TD on AStar before deciding.
One problem is this car lacks the USP, atleast for now, since the real world mileage figures are not out yet.
This will sell for sure, because if maruti can sell good numbers of decades old stuff even now, I dont see any reason why AStar, which is a good product wont sell. And I hope it does sell good so that maruti will bring better products.

Most Viewed