Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 12:27   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
Good review. A-Star is nothing near to i10 or i would say a Indica Vista petrol is also far better then a A-Star in Spacing.

Still indian buyers only see FE nothing more. So it would sell anyhow.

You know, other person might also say that indian buyers are only concerned with rear seating.. and nothing else.. all i hear is about cramped rear seating. i definitely agree that it is less in A*, but please dont tell me that its heaven in any other small car.. thats why its a small car..

and i think its very condescending to hear "indian buyers", as if there is something wrong with that.. btw american, european, african, australian, latin, all buyers are now looking at FE. Do you know why FORD, GM etc are doing worse than Toyota.? FE my friend..

A car with FE of 11 and lots of rear seat space is no good than a car of FE 18 and lesser space..
Old 25th November 2008, 14:20   #167
BHPian

Overall Package Matters Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by enter View Post
A car with FE of 11 and lots of rear seat space is no good than a car of FE 18 and lesser space..
Bulls eye! Thats what an i10, Santro, Spark or an Indica Vista Diesel can do. They can give you both FE & Space. If you take the first 3 they give you good quality too, Indica has improved in quality, I must add.

So its that overall package which matters for mostly in India. Of course there are exceptions who will only talk FE.
Old 25th November 2008, 15:11   #168
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
Bulls eye! Thats what an i10, Santro, Spark or an Indica Vista Diesel can do. They can give you both FE & Space. If you take the first 3 they give you good quality too, Indica has improved in quality, I must add.
So its that overall package which matters for mostly in India. Of course there are exceptions who will only talk FE.
i10 is fuel efficient? 1.1 gives 13-14KMPL and 1.2 gives 11-12KMPL in average.

Moreover, i10 has a lot of other issues like:

1. Poor acceleration.
2. Pathetic headlights.
3. Weak front shock absorbers.
4. Reverse gear issue.
5. Beige dashboard - it reflects too much of light on the front windscreen, thus reducing visibility, specially while driving in bright sunlight.
6. The sound insulation is very bad.

And Spark is spacious? Come on man! Give some salt too along with your comment!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th November 2008 at 15:27.
Old 25th November 2008, 15:50   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If that is the case how is it then that Alto sells much much much more than Spark? GM even reduced its price to dirt cheap levels (AC model at 2.66 lacs - even cheaper than Alto) still Alto outsells it comprehensively. Think of it what is it Alto has that Spark doesnt? comparable FE, better quality as you say, more space, GM 3 yr service holiday etc etc. Still they cant sell the car!

I didnt know we Indians are so stupid really

Also Indica vista and i10 dont belong here. They are both more expansive cars. Astar should only be compared against Santro, WagonR, Estilo and Spark (and probably i10 1.1 but who buys i10 1.1 nowdays???)

Last edited by joslicx : 25th November 2008 at 15:52.
Old 25th November 2008, 17:24   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
i10 is fuel efficient? 1.1 gives 13-14KMPL and 1.2 gives 11-12KMPL in average.

Moreover, i10 has a lot of other issues like:

1. Poor acceleration.
2. Pathetic headlights.
3. Weak front shock absorbers.
4. Reverse gear issue.
5. Beige dashboard - it reflects too much of light on the front windscreen, thus reducing visibility, specially while driving in bright sunlight.
6. The sound insulation is very bad.

And Spark is spacious? Come on man! Give some salt too along with your comment!
I have not mentioned that the FE is the best for i10, Vista etc. What I have said is that these cars give all of these to acceptable levels.

The complaints mentioned here (except #5) are not genuine. I have not heard of these issues in this forum. May be I have missed them. The #5 issue is there even on a porsche and can be reduced if you want using different methods.

Talking of visbility, can you please measure the rear window size of A-Star with any of the cars in India. The rear visibility is a real issue on the A-Star.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:59   #171
BANNED

Quote:
I have not mentioned that the FE is the best for i10, Vista etc. What I have said is that these cars give all of these to acceptable levels.

The complaints mentioned here (except #5) are not genuine. I have not heard of these issues in this forum. May be I have missed them. The #5 issue is there even on a porsche and can be reduced if you want using different methods.

Talking of visbility, can you please measure the rear window size of A-Star with any of the cars in India. The rear visibility is a real issue on the A-Star.
Is an average of 13-14KMPL acceptable for you, for a hatch of 1.1L engine? Or a 11-12KMPL for a 1.2L engine?

If you can reduce the 'reflection' issue in i10 by different methods, the rear-visibility issue in A-Star also can be solved by different methods like camera / sensors / simply by better use of RVMs.

One more thing - Swift and A-Star may have very small rear windows, it may be catastrophic, but it adds to the safety feeling. A car with big glass area may feel airy, but sitting inside a car with small glass area gives a safety feeling.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:08   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then, about rear seat legroom: Consider a young, average-income Indian professional who drives his car to his office daily. Do he need a bulky gas-guzzler?

For occasional weekend shopping / cinema / trips, that small space is enough for him, his wife and one or two small children.

And also:

1. He is not going to carry his whole family of father, mother, brothers, sisters etc all the time in his car.
2. Every week he is not going to buy a 60-KG rice bag! A maximum of 20Kg of items, right?

It's all only occasional. And for that special times, they can adjust to the small legroom, or rent a big MUV (for family trips) / an autorikshaw (for shopping).
A young average income professional in India can't afford taking a car to work everyday. If he can then 1-2 kmpl here and there wont make much difference unless you have given in to the marketing blitzkreig and really think A-Star is going to give you 19 kmpl in city.
Besides from all the points you have listed above, the A-Star looks more like a compromise, than a car!
If they so cared for the average earning India professional they wouldnt have launched it at that price... I cant belive that it costs them so much to make that car in India.... another piece of Crap from Maruti if you ask me.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 25th November 2008 at 20:10.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:12   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more thing - Swift and A-Star may have very small rear windows, it may be catastrophic, but it adds to the safety feeling. A car with big glass area may feel airy, but sitting inside a car with small glass area gives a safety feeling.
Brilliant logic... hats off! That ways we will 'feel' safest sitting inside a post box with wheels on it... what say?
Old 25th November 2008, 20:18   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If that is the case how is it then that Alto sells much much much more than Spark? GM even reduced its price to dirt cheap levels (AC model at 2.66 lacs - even cheaper than Alto) still Alto outsells it comprehensively. Think of it what is it Alto has that Spark doesnt? comparable FE, better quality as you say, more space, GM 3 yr service holiday etc etc. Still they cant sell the car!

Also Indica vista and i10 dont belong here. They are both more expansive cars. Astar should only be compared against Santro, WagonR, Estilo and Spark (and probably i10 1.1 but who buys i10 1.1 nowdays???)
For the umpteenth time more sales doesnt mean better product. Besides, Spark sales have picked up a lot after the price revision which GM were hoping for. They hadnt hoped to overtake Alto for sure... if I havent missed something somewhere.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:19   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

Yes we do Atleast I was when I bought my first car.

How much of the indian population buys car after reviewing all the power, torque and all spec? minimal. When I wanted a car, I just saw everyone going after Maruti. So, it should be good and I too went for Maruti. Simple. Is it not?

But again, after joining in here, I did do my own research before narrowing down to my choice. Thats because I started "hearing" about people talking on rattles, build quality, A.S.S, power, etc etc.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:35   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
A young average income professional in India can't afford taking a car to work everyday.
It all depends on what one mean by an 'Average income Indian'. By that, I mean one who can afford a car.

Quote:
Besides from all the points you have listed above, the A-Star looks more like a compromise, than a car!
Looks are personal. For you, it may be a compromise, but for me, it looks pretty good, and has its own character - not like Santro, which copied its looks from the original Wagon-R in Japan.

Quote:
If they so cared for the average earning India professional they wouldnt have launched it at that price... I cant belive that it costs them so much to make that car in India.... another piece of Crap from Maruti if you ask me.
Then tell me what about Santro?

Quote:
Brilliant logic... hats off! That ways we will 'feel' safest sitting inside a post box with wheels on it... what say?
Yes, if you think that you are worth enough to sit inside a post box only. I think I'm worth enough to sit inside a car.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:55   #177
BHPian

This is a test drive report; and i hope we are able to learn about the Astar through the TD's by fellow bhpians, maybe 1, 2 , 5 , 10 or a 100 people can TD and write in. there is no point in the rest of us discussing the different Brands, Types, Biases and point of view. People need to know what somebody has to say about this car, and essentially not anything else ( i dont mean imp comparison )
A TD and owners report essentially is a PROS and CONS conclusion.

So how is the AStar rated ? (pun is not intended!!)
Old 25th November 2008, 21:38   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the umpteenth time more sales doesnt mean better product. Besides, Spark sales have picked up a lot after the price revision which GM were hoping for. They hadnt hoped to overtake Alto for sure... if I havent missed something somewhere.
Your argument still isint convincing enough to explain why Alto so very "comprehensively" outsells Spark (when you can get similarly spec'd Spark for about the same price and there is not much difference in their mileages as well).

Try something more before slagging Maruti off like that. It is the most profitable car company in India!
Old 25th November 2008, 21:38   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It all depends on what one mean by an 'Average income Indian'. By that, I mean one who can afford a car.

Looks are personal. For you, it may be a compromise, but for me, it looks pretty good, and has its own character - not like Santro, which copied its looks from the original Wagon-R in Japan.

Then tell me what about Santro?

Yes, if you think that you are worth enough to sit inside a post box only. I think I'm worth enough to sit inside a car.
is all I can say... you need to read that again and again and again...
Old 25th November 2008, 21:43   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Yes we do Atleast I was when I bought my first car.

How much of the indian population buys car after reviewing all the power, torque and all spec? minimal. When I wanted a car, I just saw everyone going after Maruti. So, it should be good and I too went for Maruti. Simple. Is it not?

But again, after joining in here, I did do my own research before narrowing down to my choice. Thats because I started "hearing" about people talking on rattles, build quality, A.S.S, power, etc etc.
ok today I got why we dont have any good cars in India. We stupid indians dont deserve any!
Only in US or in the West everybody knows everything about rattles, build quality, A.S.S, power etc. Thanks for the wonderful gyan.

Most Viewed