Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 15:13   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post

Regarding KE loss = FE loss... well thats true... there is complete physics involved around this... use less brakes and you will yourself see the FE increasing a your vehicle... a few tips...

At times you can from a distance see the red signal and you know you will have to stop, so avoid accelerating towards the red light, as if you are accellerating towards it you will have brake harder as compared to when you approach it with an optimised speed. In short... optimise the acceleration as per the need.

On a highway... a single lane one specifically... generally when people do overtaking they tend to almost reach at the tail end of the vehicle a high speeds and brake hard and then look for space... however, this is how it should be done, when you a see that you are approaching an vehicle slow down, let engine help in slowing you down rather then the brakes... in the meanwhile look for an oppurtunity and rocket away from the vehicle in front without using brakes.
Ok you are absolutely correct, here is my 2 cents, please correct if i'm wrong:

Actually the FE will improve, let me try explaining this in a difft way by keeping the answer short, If you reduce the amount of energy required to stop the car (say it's weight), then you reduce the amount of energy required to accelerate the car.

Of course there are always exceptions, such as if you increased the rolling resistance, reduced the car's aerodynamics, but companies would try to avoid doing these things.

By focusing on heat being produced while braking. Brakes convert the cars momentum into heat, in order to slow it down. You will always have balanced energy equations, that is basic physics. To expand on the weight example. Test your car fully loaded, you will need to apply more breaking effort to stop it as you would when it is not fully loaded. Likewise, with accelerating, it will take more throttle to get the car to speed up at the same rate.

So again put simply. In order to stop / slow the car using less energy, it has to be carrying less energy. Which in turn will anyways result in a good FE, because its carrying less energy / mass.
Old 21st November 2008, 16:05   #32
BHPian

Congratulations!

Hey bubbly! Congratulations on your new ride!

I completely agree with the concept of using less brakes increasing the FE. As long as we allow friction and engine braking to do the work, we are saving the energy wasted from acclerating and then braking. By allowing a linear slowdown of the vehicle, we are dissipating less energy incomparison to an abrupt stop. Less enery lost and better FE.

As CAD was mentioning, even the gentleman at my garage checks the tuning of the car by slotting it into the 5th gear as soon it reaches the powerband. After that he just releases the accelerator and lets the car move on its own. If the car does not jerk/lug/stall even at really low speeds of less than 10kmph (in 5th gear), he pronounces the car well tuned. Is this really true?
Old 21st November 2008, 17:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
As CAD was mentioning, even the gentleman at my garage checks the tuning of the car by slotting it into the 5th gear as soon it reaches the powerband. After that he just releases the accelerator and lets the car move on its own. If the car does not jerk/lug/stall even at really low speeds of less than 10kmph (in 5th gear), he pronounces the car well tuned. Is this really true?
isnt 10kmph too low for 5th gear? i may be wrong but AFAIK, no car does that. maybe some high performance sports car can, but definitely not any of the hatches and sub-10 lakh cars available now
Old 24th November 2008, 09:59   #34
BHPian

Running-in period >>> 19 litres for first 430kms

Hi Guys,

The real world... on my thread we have had a lot of discussion on Torque and Kinetic Energy... in short, on lot of text book physics.

In running-in period, for the very first 430kms my PALIO SDX MJD consumed 19 litres of Diesel ( Tank full to tank full method used here [ auto cut ] ) returning me an FE of 22.63 kmpl ( 40% Highway, 40% City, 20% Bumper to Bumper )

Isnt these FE figures something really very whoooooping...

3 Cheers for the MJD

For the first 300kms I kept the rpm strictly below 2000, for the next 130kms i upped it a bit to 2200 rpm and this was the first time she touched 90+ kmph ,with a speed of 93kmph.

If you would gone through my thread earlier you would have read about my driving style... or rather how i drive the car... if not then here is the summary of how i as an individual.

Use less brakes, optmise accelearation, dont accelerate when you know you have to stop. In a bumper to bumper traffic try to approach the car in front of you as slowly as you can, as while doing so u will allow the car to stop itself rather then using brakes, more the usage of brakes larger is the amount of KE lost, hence less FE.

Cant help it but once again... 3 Cheers for the MJD cheers:

Note from support team: Go through our announcement section and follow the rules.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th December 2008 at 11:42.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:21   #35
BHPian

Running-in period --- 19 litres for first 430kms

Hi Guys !

We have talked a lot about torque and KE ( Kinetic Energy ) and there relation to FE. A lot of physics text book stuff.

But the real world is the real world.

My PALIO MJD SDX has completed first 430kms and in doing so just consumed 19 litres of Diesel. ( tank full to tank full method [ auto cut ] )

An FE of 22.63kms/l of normal Diesel. Aren't these figures really whoooooping.

3 cheers for MJD cheers:

The rpm level were kept strictly under 2000rpm for first 300kms and for the next 130kms i upped and started using a bit more band up till 2200rpm.

If you have read my thread and posts earlier on this thread you would have read about my driving style, if in case you have not, a short summary of the same.

Use less brakes, optimise acceleration, don't accelerate when you can see you will have to stop a meters ahead, in a bumper to bumper traffic dont approach the car in front with high revs, try optimising the speed in such a traffic and keep the speed optimised so as to you have to use minimum brakes.

Less brakes means less loss of KE, and less loss of KE equivalent to more FE. I just proved it practically by getting the FE i got.

Cant help it guys but once again, 3 cheers for MJD cheers:
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:21   #36
BHPian

Ready for first service - completed 1250kms

Hi Guys,

My SDX is ready for its first service, will be taking her tomorrow to get the same done... and as recommended by BHPians i will be getting the service done by SAMYAK.

The car has been superb for its first 1250 kms and has been returning an excellent FE of 22kms/l. ( 60% highway [Delhi-Gurgaon expressway], 40% city )

I have not faced any issues with the car so far, apart from some mettalic noise that comes from the back, I guess its the number plate ( a tin one ) that SANYA ( dealer ) provided to me, i will try to get this fixed tomorrow if there is a possibility and can be adjusted or else i will change to a fibre one.

Will share my experience at SAMYAK once the service is done.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:52   #37
BHPian

FIRST service done at Elegant Cars/SAMYAK

Hello Guys,

Got my first service done last week ODO reading 1300kms, was out of coverage so couldnt update.

The guys at SAMYAK were very professional and knew there job. The only cars i could see around were just the PALIOs, apart from few Honda cars who get there PDIs done there.

I have driven cars from Maruti and now Chevrolet and Fiat, so i think i am in a position to compare service experinces from all three.

There is always a "hue & cry" about Palios after sale service, this was a concern to me as well, but after the first service all the concerns have vanished.

Guys at SAMYAK were as professional as at MSM ( Maruti Service Master ) or at Regents Service stations ( for my Chevy Aveo ). SAMYAK guys gave attention to each of the details, thay had time to listen to me and understand my need. This may be because of lesser Palios on Delhi roads but i really liked the attention i got from everbody on the floor including the workshop manager.

The manager himself called me the day after the service and enquired about hows the car doing after the first servicing, that was really overwhelming.

It was a routine first service, however i got the oil change done though it was not recomended.

3 cheers for Samyak/Elegant cars cheers: cheers: cheers:
Old 10th December 2008, 11:34   #38
BHPian

Congrats.. Nice to hear good exp from Fiat Owners. And the mileage you got is quite outstanding.

Will keep a tab on this thread. Do keep it updated.
Old 10th December 2008, 13:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for your new Palio MJD SDX. Owners satisfaction is what matters whatever model or variants of car.

Quote:
As per TeamBHP rules you can give at the MAX 2 cheers to Samyak/Elegant motors.
Old 10th December 2008, 13:48   #40
BHPian

Bubby,

Congrats for owning the MJD. The FE you got during running is simply outstanding and I credit your driving style for the same.

I somewhat agree with your practical theory about driving for better FE.

Enjoy your ride buddy!
Old 10th December 2008, 16:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,
The guys at SAMYAK were very professional and knew there job.

Guys at SAMYAK were as professional as at MSM ( Maruti Service Master ) or at Regents Service stations ( for my Chevy Aveo ). SAMYAK guys gave attention to each of the details, thay had time to listen to me and understand my need.

Sigh!! Another convert !

That said, even Samyak is not immune from Fiat's "no-credit policy" for Spares Parts. I had to travel all the way to Peeragarhi (30 kms) for a Right ORVM because four Service Centres in East / South Delhi did not have it and I would have to wait for a week.

In the process, I discovered that Him Motors service is quite customer-oriented and they are pushing Fiat sales. They have a Fiat 500 on display in the showroom and they have sold two of them already (one to OmarAgra from TBHP itself!).
Old 11th December 2008, 00:21   #42
BHPian

another satisfied fiat owner.
looks like things are beginning to change for fiat.
i had read about a free check up camp for fiat cars on 7th and 8th december.any one been for it?
Old 11th December 2008, 08:51   #43
BHPian

To all Palio Stile Multijet/Petrol owners

Has anybody faced this.

This is the case from day one.

With blower at 0 speed, when I just switch on the AC button ( compressor button ), the AC gets turned on with 1 blower speed.

Now after this when i bring the blower lever from 0 to 1 the speed of the blower remains the same, now from 1 to 4 change in speed of the blower works normally.

I am not sure if this is a defect or not, but somehow i find it a bit convenient, as a single switch can be used to switch on AC as well as the blower.

With AC button switch off, the blower would work normally.

Thoughts.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
With blower at 0 speed, when I just switch on the AC button ( compressor button ), the AC gets turned on with 1 blower speed.
Hey Mate ,Its not a defect that how it has to be , A/c & Blower are two different things.......
A/c will still work even when the Blower is marked 0, blower helps to increase or decrease the rate of air flow .
Hope this help....

Last edited by jazzy_2cool : 11th December 2008 at 09:38.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_2cool View Post
Hey Mate ,Its not a defect that how it has to be , A/c & Blower are two different things.......
A/c will still work even when the Blower is marked 0, blower helps to increase or decrease the rate of air flow .
Hope this help....
It helps.

But yaar, in the cars that i have owned Esteem, WagonR, Aveo, Spark this was not the case.

In all the above cars i mentioned above, the blower was always needed to be switched on separately.

But in Palio the blower automatically gets switched on, the moment you push the AC button to on position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks